UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
whattodo2008

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby whattodo2008 » Fri May 14, 2010 2:40 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
whattodo2008 wrote:I've been always taking notes w/pen and paper. Is this doable in class, meaning -- how note-intensive are the classes? It sounds like they are not based on what I've read here, that is, that classes are used for professors to dissect/discuss/lecture about cases. I started taking my laptop w/me to class during senior year, but would always have the pen and paper ready and would end up not typing anything in class. I also can see how transcribing can be a problem late in the game, and I may just end up getting used to typing to begin with to save time; still curious; Thanks!

I took good notes in class; the problem is making sure you have the time and mental energy to keep transcribing them. I wouldn't feel like doing it because I'd already be so busy from reading and studying, writing notes, researching and writing for LRW... so I'd put it off. Big mistake.

I see. I think getting used to laptop note taking may make more sense then.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Fri May 14, 2010 6:52 pm

If you like writing papers, you'll love writing papers while studying for finals.

plum

Postby plum » Fri May 14, 2010 11:25 pm

whattodo2008 wrote:

but evidently there are classes where laptops are not allowed? so perhaps it's better to get used to notebook/pen style notetaking, which i suck at, i can't write fast and when i do it looks like a mess and even i can't read it afterward. i envy people with pretty neat handwriting that write fast. how do you do it?? maybe i am writing too "big", if i write smaller maybe my hand can move faster and more neatly.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Sun May 16, 2010 8:17 am

I take notes by hand. I personally prefer it. First, I don't have to carry my laptop with me. Second, I never get distracted (I'm someone who will spend all of class browsing the Internet if I happen to have my laptop). And third, I end up writing fewer notes, which is a good thing, given that most of the stuff I write isn't going to end up in my outline, so I'd rather have less stuff to deal with. Sure, there are a couple times each semester where the professor is rapidly going through important topics and I wish I had a laptop to type fast enough to take note of it all, but 99% of the time handwriting isn't a problem.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Sun May 16, 2010 1:39 pm

plum wrote:
whattodo2008 wrote:

but evidently there are classes where laptops are not allowed? so perhaps it's better to get used to notebook/pen style notetaking, which i suck at, i can't write fast and when i do it looks like a mess and even i can't read it afterward. i envy people with pretty neat handwriting that write fast. how do you do it?? maybe i am writing too "big", if i write smaller maybe my hand can move faster and more neatly.

If you aren't writing in cursive, that can make a big difference.

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Sun May 16, 2010 4:00 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
plum wrote:
whattodo2008 wrote:

If you aren't writing in cursive, that can make a big difference.

I know someone who took the LSAT in London and they LSAC wouldn't release his scores to him because he messed up the cursive paragraph. When they came out there was a hold placed on his account and he had to call the LSAC who mailed a new copy of the paragraph to his house to be copied. He then had to beg them to email him a copy so that he could fax it back as opposed to doing trans-atlantic mailings. This involved him sitting in a dingy internet cafe copying the paragraph down before he could fax it over. It took him 2 tries because he deemed the first effort "poor" and did not want to get screwed again. This is how bad his cursive was. Also, it was me :(

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Sun May 16, 2010 4:34 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:I know someone who took the LSAT in London and they LSAC wouldn't release his scores to him because he messed up the cursive paragraph. When they came out there was a hold placed on his account and he had to call the LSAC who mailed a new copy of the paragraph to his house to be copied. He then had to beg them to email him a copy so that he could fax it back as opposed to doing trans-atlantic mailings. This involved him sitting in a dingy internet cafe copying the paragraph down before he could fax it over. It took him 2 tries because he deemed the first effort "poor" and did not want to get screwed again. This is how bad his cursive was. Also, it was me :(

Wow. That really stinks. I actually hadn't used cursive in years and re-learned it because I had no idea how irrelevant the writing section was when I began studying for the LSAT. I thought I would need as much time as possible to write a great essay and that writing it in cursive would be a big help. Even though I feel somewhat foolish now for strategizing in regards to the writing section, using cursive again has been fantastic for when I'm taking notes in meetings or when someone is going over a new process with me at work.

I know quite a few teachers and some have told me that schools may begin to no longer teach kids how to write in cursive.

slider

Postby slider » Sun May 16, 2010 5:09 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:
I know someone who took the LSAT in London and they LSAC wouldn't release his scores to him because he messed up the cursive paragraph. When they came out there was a hold placed on his account and he had to call the LSAC who mailed a new copy of the paragraph to his house to be copied. He then had to beg them to email him a copy so that he could fax it back as opposed to doing trans-atlantic mailings. This involved him sitting in a dingy internet cafe copying the paragraph down before he could fax it over. It took him 2 tries because he deemed the first effort "poor" and did not want to get screwed again. This is how bad his cursive was. Also, it was me :(

This happened to me too! haha! I thought I was the only one!

billyez

Postby billyez » Mon May 17, 2010 2:07 am

Thanks to vanwinkle for posting that health records info again. I swear I never heard anything about it at ASW and I certainly wouldn't have filled it out before I got to the school otherwise.

FeuerFrei

Postby FeuerFrei » Mon May 17, 2010 10:14 am

Last edited by FeuerFrei on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lady LaLa

Postby Lady LaLa » Mon May 17, 2010 11:18 pm

Sorry if this has already been addressed, but where would one find said health forms?

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Mon May 17, 2010 11:28 pm

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Mon May 17, 2010 11:39 pm

So where is everyone living in Ivy?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue May 18, 2010 9:01 pm

dgouzoul

Postby dgouzoul » Tue May 18, 2010 10:48 pm

YCrevolution wrote:If anyone would like a free countertop microwave when they move to C'ville, I've got one to give away:

Sharp Carousel (Black) R-230KK
- 800 watt
- 0.8 cubic feet
- Digital input and display
- Is fairly compact and can save kitchen space
- Includes clean and intact glass turntable plate along with rotating arm/apparatus
- Interior is clean and basically looks brand new
- Exterior has some very minor cosmestic scuffs
- Currently functional... all buttons work as do the rotating mechanism and door latch (and the microwave/heating element... see below)
- Comes with original box

More details on the model:
http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-R-230KK-800 ... 670&sr=8-3

I paid about $55 (new) for it a bit less than three years ago. I might be able to get $10 to $25 for it if I sold it, but this is easier and benefits a UVA 0L. I'm selling it because:
(a) I wanted a more powerful and larger microwave, and I just got one yesterday.
(b) The microwave I'm giving away has a gotten a bit weaker over time; it takes about 15% longer to heat things up now then it did when it was new. Combined with 800 watts, it can take a bit longer (~10% to ~20%) to heat food up then their "usual" or recommended heating times. It still heats things up fine though, and it's large enough that you can fit in most microwaveable containers, frozen dinners, dining plates, etc.

If you're interested, PM me. I'll prioritize how quickly you'll take it from me this summer along with any relevant information you'd like to present (you're moving from far away, your old microwave just blew up, you think YC is the best mod on TLS, etc.) in addition to who PMs me when. You can pick it up from me in C'ville this summer.

show me the carfax

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Wed May 19, 2010 9:37 am

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa, Whoa, Whoa
Hey, Hey, Hey, Hey, Hey, Hey
Whoa...

YC, where did the Garrus avatar go?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Wed May 19, 2010 9:43 am

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Wed May 19, 2010 9:43 am

whoknows12

Postby whoknows12 » Wed May 19, 2010 12:08 pm

quick question for current students: do many people live near the hospital? i am looking at some houses over there and wasn't sure if that was too far a drive (doesn't seem like it would be). it seems to be a generally safe neighborhood

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Wed May 19, 2010 12:10 pm

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Wed May 19, 2010 12:20 pm

http://www.virginia.edu/uvatoday/newsRelease.php?id=11853

Being a film major going to UVA in the fall and being interested in the mythical creature known as entertainment law as well, could you guys share some thoughts on this article? Everything I read on here says that if you're lucky enough to get entertainment law, it's usually only through years of other work in the firm, added with whatever connections you have, but this article doesn't seem to share the same sentiment...

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed May 19, 2010 6:30 pm

I keep checking Cavalier Computers to see when the Law bundles for laptops will be posted, as it says they should be in "Mid-May." I just want to see them so I can get on with my computer search.

jdavid901

Postby jdavid901 » Wed May 19, 2010 6:54 pm

5ky wrote:I keep checking Cavalier Computers to see when the Law bundles for laptops will be posted, as it says they should be in "Mid-May." I just want to see them so I can get on with my computer search.

I'm pretty sure it's the Macbook Pro 13" Spring 2010 model and the Dell Latitude E410 with the core i5.

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Wed May 19, 2010 7:02 pm

Sooo, who wants to drive me around and buy furniture with me :) ?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed May 19, 2010 8:40 pm

oops
Last edited by thesealocust on Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”