UVA Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Kohinoor

Gold

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Post by Kohinoor » Tue May 11, 2010 7:59 pm

D Brooks wrote:
HJO wrote:BIG's verse on Notorious Thugs is one of the best things ever recorded. Any sound, genre, etc.
+180. Unbelievably credited.
O_O Biggie was amazing but has been surpassed in the last 15 years....

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Tue May 11, 2010 8:18 pm

I actually somewhat prefer physically writing over using a laptop. I'm oldschool and can only type 40ish wpm (trying to get faster before classes start) but my cursive is pretty fast.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Tue May 11, 2010 8:28 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
D Brooks wrote:
HJO wrote:BIG's verse on Notorious Thugs is one of the best things ever recorded. Any sound, genre, etc.
+180. Unbelievably credited.
O_O Biggie was amazing but has been surpassed in the last 15 years....
Out of curiosity, who do you have as surpassing him? I don't really have an answer as to who is the GOAT. When I was listening to hip hop alot more several years ago, I thought that Talib Kweli was probably the best lyricist out there. He definitely doesn't have the delivery Biggie did though. Chali 2na's delivery was pretty filthy as well.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Tue May 11, 2010 8:54 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:I actually somewhat prefer physically writing over using a laptop. I'm oldschool and can only type 40ish wpm (trying to get faster before classes start) but my cursive is pretty fast.

I personally have never taken notes on a laptop while in class. I take my notes by hand and then later on transcribe the goods into a word document. Am I out of my mind to want to do this in law school? Doing it by hand has worked for me thus far and if it ain't broke...

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue May 11, 2010 8:56 pm

Doritos wrote:I personally have never taken notes on a laptop while in class. I take my notes by hand and then later on transcribe the goods into a word document. Am I out of my mind to want to do this in law school? Doing it by hand has worked for me thus far and if it ain't broke...
I did this both semesters. Both semesters I fell behind on transcribing. I'm trying to create a Criminal Investigation outline right now directly from my handwritten notes and I'm taking the test on Friday. Fuck me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CFC11

New

Post by CFC11 » Tue May 11, 2010 11:08 pm

gamertag = infamous cfc

jnorsky

Bronze

Post by jnorsky » Wed May 12, 2010 10:31 am

Biggie's delivery was just insane, he owned the mic. Rakim is legit, don't know too much by KRS One. Big L is nasty as shit. Too many good verses to go around, but Ghostface Killah's on 4th Chamber is one of my favorites.

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Wed May 12, 2010 9:37 pm

Someone posted a link a while back with a health form (immunization records and such) and I can't, for the life of me, remember who it was or find it. If anyone has the link, could you repost it?

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed May 12, 2010 9:37 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Wed May 12, 2010 9:41 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
oneforship wrote:Someone posted a link a while back with a health form (immunization records and such) and I can't, for the life of me, remember who it was or find it. If anyone has the link, could you repost it?
http://www.virginia.edu/studenthealth/PEHF.html
muchas gracias!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed May 12, 2010 10:02 pm

oneforship wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
oneforship wrote:Someone posted a link a while back with a health form (immunization records and such) and I can't, for the life of me, remember who it was or find it. If anyone has the link, could you repost it?
muchas gracias!
To everyone who's attending this fall: Please get this shit taken care of. And double-check it online once they've processed your form.

My records weren't logged as completely accepted because my last tetanus shot was too long ago to satisfy them I was "current", but they didn't tell me that, and I just kind of stumbled on it online and was like WTF? :shock: And got a new tetanus shot to take care of it.

One of my classmates this spring semester had the same thing happen, except he never noticed it, didn't get it taken care of, and was automatically de-enrolled from all spring classes in the middle of the semester. He had to get the problem taken care of, but they didn't just fix his enrollment for him when he did. The registrar made him get authorizations to enroll late signed by each of his professors for each of his classes before they'd re-enroll him in the classes he was already in. It was a huge unnecessary mess and he was sweating bullets over it before they finally got it taken care of.

So please, make sure these records are received and logged properly. It's some serious shit. Do not fuck with the student health center, they will pwn your 1L life if you do.

whattodo2008

Bronze

Post by whattodo2008 » Wed May 12, 2010 10:12 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
oneforship wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
muchas gracias!
To everyone who's attending this fall: Please get this shit taken care of. And double-check it online once they've processed your form.

My records weren't logged as completely accepted because my last tetanus shot was too long ago to satisfy them I was "current", but they didn't tell me that, and I just kind of stumbled on it online and was like WTF? :shock: And got a new tetanus shot to take care of it.

One of my classmates this spring semester had the same thing happen, except he never noticed it, didn't get it taken care of, and was automatically de-enrolled from all spring classes in the middle of the semester. He had to get the problem taken care of, but they didn't just fix his enrollment for him when he did. The registrar made him get authorizations to enroll late signed by each of his professors for each of his classes before they'd re-enroll him in the classes he was already in. It was a huge unnecessary mess and he was sweating bullets over it before they finally got it taken care of.

So please, make sure these records are received and logged properly. It's some serious shit. Do not fuck with the student health center, they will pwn your 1L life if you do.
Damn, that is fcked up. Thanks for the heads up!

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Wed May 12, 2010 10:37 pm

man i should go with the "RELIGIOUS EXEMPTION" option on the form

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

D Brooks

Silver

Post by D Brooks » Wed May 12, 2010 10:42 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
oneforship wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
muchas gracias!

What's "recent enough?"

My doctor is just going to fill out my form using my records from my pediatrician (I'm 22).

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed May 12, 2010 10:44 pm

D Brooks wrote:What's "recent enough?"

My doctor is just going to fill out my form using my records from my pediatrician (I'm 22).
I think they require every 10 years. I didn't realize until I got here that it'd been 10 years since I graduated high school...

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed May 12, 2010 10:44 pm

jdavid901

New

Post by jdavid901 » Thu May 13, 2010 9:54 pm

So here's what I'm thinking for my computing needs in law school:

Tablet PC: HP 2740p
I'll use this as my portable computer to take notes in class, when allowed, and take my exams.

Desktop: Gateway DX4831-07
This will be my home computer. I can synch up my files from the laptop, and use it for general computing, videos, music, gaming, etc...

Any comments on this setup?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu May 13, 2010 10:00 pm

jdavid901 wrote:So here's what I'm thinking for my computing needs in law school:

I'll use this as my portable computer to take notes in class, when allowed, and take my exams.

This will be my home computer. I can synch up my files from the laptop, and use it for general computing, videos, music, gaming, etc...

Dude, get the 15" MBP. It's only $100 more than that tablet and has much better graphics, more RAM, and more HDD space, and is probably going to be more durable and last longer than that tablet will.

Alternately you can get a much cheaper Windows-based laptop that'll do more than enough. Why do you need a tablet? Tablets are really not that great, I've never seen a tablet that was actually useful in tablet mode, other than maybe the iPad, and that's only because it's designed from the ground up to be a tablet. That's the problem. Most tablets are meant to be desktop/laptop computers first and the tablet stuff is just grafted on. It's not going to be that useful in tablet mode at all.

Also, why can't you use your laptop for general computing, videos, music, etc.? If you get the MBP, it has discrete graphics, you can even use it for gaming. Spend the money buying an external monitor instead and just plug it into that to use at home.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Thu May 13, 2010 10:03 pm

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Thu May 13, 2010 10:12 pm

jdavid901 wrote:So here's what I'm thinking for my computing needs in law school:

The girls will laugh at you if you get a laptop that small.

You'll thank me later.

jdavid901

New

Post by jdavid901 » Thu May 13, 2010 10:17 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:Dude, get the 15" MBP. It's only $100 more than that tablet and has much better graphics, more RAM, and more HDD space, and is probably going to be more durable and last longer than that tablet will.

Alternately you can get a much cheaper Windows-based laptop that'll do more than enough. Why do you need a tablet? Tablets are really not that great, I've never seen a tablet that was actually useful in tablet mode, other than maybe the iPad, and that's only because it's designed from the ground up to be a tablet. That's the problem. Most tablets are meant to be desktop/laptop computers first and the tablet stuff is just grafted on. It's not going to be that useful in tablet mode at all.

Also, why can't you use your laptop for general computing, videos, music, etc.? If you get the MBP, it has discrete graphics, you can even use it for gaming. Spend the money buying an external monitor instead and just plug it into that to use at home.
I'm going to second this and add: I have a three-computer set-up. A netbook that I use for notes, a laptop for exams/higher-end portability, and a desktop for everything else. It's nice since the netbook and laptop are backups for each other if one fails.
Thanks. That's the kind of input I wanted. I've never had a tablet pc but I thought it might be convenient to be able to draw diagrams and stuff directly on the screen. I've actually had a couple of other people tell me the same thing about the tablets and advise me to get a Macbook. I was reluctant to take their advice but your responses make me think that's probably the way to go now. YC, I was thinking about also getting a netbook for the same reasons, but then I thought that might be overkill. :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu May 13, 2010 10:20 pm

I'm going to get an iPad and the keyboard dock and bring them to class to take notes on. Every five minutes I'm going to blurt out, "This is so cool, I'm taking notes on an iPad!"

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Thu May 13, 2010 11:16 pm

+1 to not buy a tablet. Given whats under the hood that thing is way overpriced. Tablet functionality is also really gadgety in that it would make a cool trade show speech about "opening windows into the next generation of possibilities" but probably not be that useful. My friend has a tablet he seldom uses.

whattodo2008

Bronze

Post by whattodo2008 » Fri May 14, 2010 12:37 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Doritos wrote:I personally have never taken notes on a laptop while in class. I take my notes by hand and then later on transcribe the goods into a word document. Am I out of my mind to want to do this in law school? Doing it by hand has worked for me thus far and if it ain't broke...
I did this both semesters. Both semesters I fell behind on transcribing. I'm trying to create a Criminal Investigation outline right now directly from my handwritten notes and I'm taking the test on Friday. Fuck me.

I've been always taking notes w/pen and paper. Is this doable in class, meaning -- how note-intensive are the classes? It sounds like they are not based on what I've read here, that is, that classes are used for professors to dissect/discuss/lecture about cases. I started taking my laptop w/me to class during senior year, but would always have the pen and paper ready and would end up not typing anything in class. I also can see how transcribing can be a problem late in the game, and I may just end up getting used to typing to begin with to save time; still curious; Thanks!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri May 14, 2010 2:28 pm

whattodo2008 wrote:I've been always taking notes w/pen and paper. Is this doable in class, meaning -- how note-intensive are the classes? It sounds like they are not based on what I've read here, that is, that classes are used for professors to dissect/discuss/lecture about cases. I started taking my laptop w/me to class during senior year, but would always have the pen and paper ready and would end up not typing anything in class. I also can see how transcribing can be a problem late in the game, and I may just end up getting used to typing to begin with to save time; still curious; Thanks!
I took good notes in class; the problem is making sure you have the time and mental energy to keep transcribing them. I wouldn't feel like doing it because I'd already be so busy from reading and studying, writing notes, researching and writing for LRW... so I'd put it off. Big mistake.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”