UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
D Brooks

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby D Brooks » Tue May 11, 2010 1:07 am

YCrevolution wrote:
D Brooks wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
D Brooks wrote:What are the logistics of securing a lender for PLUS loans? Is UVa going to be the direct lender for PLUS loans or strictly Staffords?

UVA will be a direct lender for all federal loans.

I didn't know PLUS loans fell under the federal category. So I don't have to do anything between now and orientation and $$ will just show up in my account come August 16?

You'll have to sign master promissory notes and stuff like entrance counseling for the loans (as well as accept/adjust awarded financial aid amounts).

Sounds good. Thanks.

FeuerFrei

Postby FeuerFrei » Tue May 11, 2010 12:36 pm

Last edited by FeuerFrei on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Tue May 11, 2010 1:11 pm

FeuerFrei wrote:I'll bite on this one.

First, Pitt is not a ~15 team, they may start the year there but closer to ~25. My alma mater (RU) will have a much better year after regaining its rightful place as the Pitt-destroyer (in football at least), winning it's first Big East crown and being named the #1 choice for B10 expansion. .

Disagreed. For reason, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dion_Lewis

joeshmo39 wrote:Uh-oh, time for us 2013ers to step up and stir the pot, get some chat going. Topics of conversation:

College sports for the upcoming year: Whose undergrad will have the best year? Probably mine (Pitt). Top ~15 football team and top ~5 basketball team. We only lost one basketball starter this year and he was also the only senior we lost. On the football side of things we remain strong on the D-Line with upgrades in the secondary. We also managed to keep our best offensive players and upgrade the QB position. Our O-line is a little shaky but I think it will come together.

On that note: Big Ten expansion? rumor is they are taking the entire eastern seaboard from Rhode Island to Georgia. Thoughts? Ought the Saint Terassi school of secretarial accounting be allowed in given their low SAT scores?

Other bones of contention: and by that I mean this: who is everyone's favorite character in The Wire other than those whose choice would be obvious (correct answer is Bubbles). What has everyone been listening to lately? I have been listening to a lot of Wilco lately because I saw their concert a few weeks ago and it rocked.

Mass Effect 2 - great game or greatest game? FF13 is tepid in comparison.

Is anyone else a beer fan/snob?

BTW someone mentioned wine tasting, are the local vineyards good? It seems a lot of places in C-Ville pride themselves on carrying local bottles. Are we doomed to drink yellowtail-esque libations forever?

That is all.

Pitt basketball is like an abusive relationship.

Big Ten expansion is stupid.

Other than Bubbles, I was a fan of Omar, Brother Mouzone, Bodie, and Slim Charles, in that order (more or less).

Wilco is great stuff, although I've never seen them live. This might hurt my indie cred, but I've been listening to the Gaslight Anthem a lot lately. The acoustic version of 1930 is really very touching.

Can't comment on video games, but I'd venture to say I'm nearly as big a beer snob as anyone here. Favorite thing I've tried recently: The Great Divide's Titan IPA and Yeti are both amazing.

I'll add one to the discussion: BP's solution for stopping oil leak? Fill the hole with shredded tire and golf balls. Exactly what kind of degree do you need to work for big oil? Their response to the whole thing doesn't instill much confidence. Bet they wish they would have installed that $500,000 shutoff.

Feel free to disagree, but you're probably wrong.

ReelectClayDavis

Postby ReelectClayDavis » Tue May 11, 2010 1:26 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
billyez wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:About half of your 1L professors will forbid you from using laptops in class

WTF? I haven't seriously used a notebook (outside of the technological sense) in a class for the last three years. Why in the world would they be against such a thing?

Look at what the people in your laptop classes are doing. As a matter of fact, check the post times of the current 1Ls. The clusterings may surprise you.

What 1L profs have this policy? Been a while since I've done handwritten in-class notes, my handwriting is terrible.

Big thumbs down for banning an improvement just because a few people don't use it for socially optimal purposes or whatever.
Last edited by ReelectClayDavis on Tue May 11, 2010 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Tue May 11, 2010 1:27 pm

I went to a mid major so I can't jump into "My UG pwns yours", but my school is poised to potentially have their best football team in a couple of decades. I'm slightly bummed I won't be around for any games this year. Hopefully Mike London can turn UVA football around pretty quick.

My favorite Wire character is probably Omar. Stringer was a very interesting villain. Other faves are Lester, Bunk, Colvin, Landsman, Clay Davis and Gus.

I don't really play video games.

I'm not much of a beer snob. Most of my alcoholic beverage consumption consists of Miller Lite and Irish Whiskey (either Powers or Jameson). When I do mix it up with beer I like St. Arnold's (great TX beer, not sure if you can get it nationwide or not), Newcastle, Fat Tire and Pacifico.

HJO

Postby HJO » Tue May 11, 2010 2:36 pm

Nebraska needs to join the big 10, big 12 has no future and fuck playing in a conference with UT, Texas Tech, A&M, Baylor, TCU, and Houston.

Rolling Rock is the beer of choice ATM.

The best character from the wire is Stringer or Omar, Clay Davis is up there too. Since watching the show i've been trying to talk more like Omar and Clay Davis. Never really been a huge Bubbles fan.

The Apple Magic Mouse is the shit.

BIG's verse on Notorious Thugs is one of the best things ever recorded. Any sound, genre, etc.

hubtubrub

Postby hubtubrub » Tue May 11, 2010 2:47 pm

how is uheights? the rents are pretty cheap then the ivey... Can you walk from university heights to the law school?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue May 11, 2010 2:52 pm

hubtubrub wrote:how is uheights? the rents are pretty cheap then the ivey... Can you walk from university heights to the law school?

You can, but you should bring a meal and a tent so you can take breaks along the way.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue May 11, 2010 2:58 pm

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Tue May 11, 2010 3:17 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
hubtubrub wrote:how is uheights? the rents are pretty cheap then the ivey... Can you walk from university heights to the law school?

You can walk it but it's going to be a somewhat long walk, 25+ minutes one-way.

This is what I gathered as well when I checked it out during ASW. It didn't seem like a walk you would want to make every single day, but it wouldn't be unreasonable if your car broke down or something and you had to make it.

There's a decent chance I could wind up there since they seem to be one of the few places that will allow dogs. It stinks though because they have a $500 non refundable pet deposit, plus charge an extra $30 a month to have a pet.

ogman05

Postby ogman05 » Tue May 11, 2010 3:28 pm

CFC11 wrote:Anyone play COD MW2? I'm also super excited for Halo Reach!

I do. What's your player tag? We'll get on sometime.

lilspainishflea

Postby lilspainishflea » Tue May 11, 2010 3:44 pm

FeuerFrei wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:Uh-oh, time for us 2013ers to step up and stir the pot, get some chat going. Topics of conversation:

College sports for the upcoming year: Whose undergrad will have the best year? Probably mine (Pitt). Top ~15 football team and top ~5 basketball team. We only lost one basketball starter this year and he was also the only senior we lost. On the football side of things we remain strong on the D-Line with upgrades in the secondary. We also managed to keep our best offensive players and upgrade the QB position. Our O-line is a little shaky but I think it will come together.

On that note: Big Ten expansion? rumor is they are taking the entire eastern seaboard from Rhode Island to Georgia. Thoughts? Ought the Saint Terassi school of secretarial accounting be allowed in given their low SAT scores?

Other bones of contention: and by that I mean this: who is everyone's favorite character in The Wire other than those whose choice would be obvious (correct answer is Bubbles). What has everyone been listening to lately? I have been listening to a lot of Wilco lately because I saw their concert a few weeks ago and it rocked.

BTW someone mentioned wine tasting, are the local vineyards good? It seems a lot of places in C-Ville pride themselves on carrying local bottles. Are we doomed to drink yellowtail-esque libations forever?

That is all.

I'll bite on this one.

First, Pitt is not a ~15 team, they may start the year there but closer to ~25. My alma mater (RU) will have a much better year after regaining its rightful place as the Pitt-destroyer (in football at least), winning it's first Big East crown and being named the #1 choice for B10 expansion.

FFXIII was pretty much crap, not sure why some people are defending it's "good story." Story was utter garbage, no side quests, ultra-linear play FTL. Needs to go back to medieval roots, leveling characters, ultimate weapons, etc.

Uh, Pitt has 4 pre-season all americans and 1 honorable mention to Rutger's 0. You play Pitt on the road after finishing 9-4 last season and failing to beat anyone in the BE Conference with a winning record. But hey, I like your optimism.

FeuerFrei

Postby FeuerFrei » Tue May 11, 2010 4:20 pm

Last edited by FeuerFrei on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Tue May 11, 2010 5:11 pm

Moving to Cville first weekend in August. Orientation isn't until Aug 16 and I'm assuming that's when we'll get our student IDs. Will I be able to use the university gyms between Aug 6-Aug16 w/o an ID?

Edit: This is probably better in the 1L taking questions thread so I'll double post.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue May 11, 2010 5:12 pm

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Tue May 11, 2010 5:13 pm

HJO wrote:BIG's verse on Notorious Thugs is one of the best things ever recorded. Any sound, genre, etc.

+180. Unbelievably credited.

jdavid901

Postby jdavid901 » Tue May 11, 2010 5:51 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
billyez wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:About half of your 1L professors will forbid you from using laptops in class

WTF? I haven't seriously used a notebook (outside of the technological sense) in a class for the last three years. Why in the world would they be against such a thing?

Look at what the people in your laptop classes are doing. As a matter of fact, check the post times of the current 1Ls. The clusterings may surprise you.

Very true. In undergrad, the only class I had where laptops were banned was... computer science. Go figure. The professor knew what people were really up to behind that screen :).

jdavid901

Postby jdavid901 » Tue May 11, 2010 5:53 pm

ogman05 wrote:
CFC11 wrote:Anyone play COD MW2? I'm also super excited for Halo Reach!

I do. What's your player tag? We'll get on sometime.

I play as well. PM me for my gamertag.

lilspainishflea

Postby lilspainishflea » Tue May 11, 2010 6:03 pm

FeuerFrei wrote:
lilspainishflea wrote:
FeuerFrei wrote:

That is all.

I'll bite on this one.

First, Pitt is not a ~15 team, they may start the year there but closer to ~25. My alma mater (RU) will have a much better year after regaining its rightful place as the Pitt-destroyer (in football at least), winning it's first Big East crown and being named the #1 choice for B10 expansion.

FFXIII was pretty much crap, not sure why some people are defending it's "good story." Story was utter garbage, no side quests, ultra-linear play FTL. Needs to go back to medieval roots, leveling characters, ultimate weapons, etc.

Uh, Pitt has 4 pre-season all americans and 1 honorable mention to Rutger's 0. You play Pitt on the road after finishing 9-4 last season and failing to beat anyone in the BE Conference with a winning record. But hey, I like your optimism.

Our star players were all freshman last year and there were growing pains. We'll be much better prepared for Wanny this year and I can guarantee monster seasons from Savage and Sanu, they'll be actual all-americans and not "pre-season". Connecticut had a winning record?

Uh, those 4 players from Pitt WERE All-Americans last year as well. So Pitt's stars are pretty bona fide while Rutger's are pure speculation.

UCONN went 3-4 in conference play last season as did USF. You didn't beat a BE team with a winning record in conference.

You did beat Howard (I-AA), Maryland (2-10), Texas Southern (WTF?!?), Army (5-7), Louisville (4-8), and UCF (a team that didn't even win Conference USA). It's pretty clear that Rutgers follows the Third Reich model of scheduling; that is, they can roll up Holland and Denmark pretty hard but lose to the big boys.

It's all smoke and mirrors.

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Tue May 11, 2010 6:26 pm

Rutgers fans are defined, by and large, by two factors:
1) they believe Rutgers is God's gift to college football
2) They believe college football began no earlier than the year 2005 A.D.

As for this season, I will believe it when I see it. Savage seems like a player but no one else is really a sure-fire shot. They looked middling last year and the defense is unimpressive. The also played a PSU schedule which is to say we could pick 24 guys off this thread and they would be willing to play us. Perhaps they were green and will be better, I have doubts. Cincinnati trounced them them and they lost to Syracuse by a bundle last year, not like they were a few veteran plays away from a BCS year. I do like UConn though, they have heart. I see the Big East something like this -- 1-Pitt 2-WVU 3-UConn 4-RU 5-Cinci 6-USF 7/8-irrelevant. It should be a good sending off for the old conference.

P.S. on the FF13 front. I don't know what it is about this game but I don't think the plot is necessarily awful as much as heavy handed. I like Sazh's voice actor, but Vanille and Snow make me think "could you possibly find someone with less appreciation for subtlety." I mean they are supposed to be characters not caricatures. It just lacks some refinement. The accessory/weapon system is also just "items are worth points but then some are worth MORE points." I just don't feel the depth and discovery of the materia system from 7. It all also gives me the overwhelming feeling I'm too old to play these kinds of games anymore, which makes me sad, because I really need to play Kingdom hearts 3.

billyez

Postby billyez » Tue May 11, 2010 7:28 pm

The only main character voice actor that really grated was Vanille's for me. Which is why she was the one who was chosen to narrate the story at certain points. Great.

The plot of FFXIII isn't that engaging - what made the story enjoyable was the interaction between the characters. It reminded me a great deal of why I enjoyed FFVI. In both cases my favorite experiences were based not on the story as much as my connection with the characters (the twist following the events at the Floating Island being the exception).

Also, once I figured out the best way to use the components I thought the system was pretty swell. The problem is the game really doesn't explain the relationship between natural and mechanical components and how they work and the system is really quite supeficial, as you noted. They could have easily put more depth into it..maybe being able to craft two different kinds of weapons out of one, etc.

FeuerFrei

Postby FeuerFrei » Tue May 11, 2010 7:31 pm

Last edited by FeuerFrei on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Tue May 11, 2010 7:37 pm

FeuerFrei wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:Rutgers fans are defined, by and large, by two factors:
1) they believe Rutgers is God's gift to college football
2) They believe college football began no earlier than the year 2005 A.D.

As for this season, I will believe it when I see it. Savage seems like a player but no one else is really a sure-fire shot. They looked middling last year and the defense is unimpressive. The also played a PSU schedule which is to say we could pick 24 guys off this thread and they would be willing to play us. Perhaps they were green and will be better, I have doubts. Cincinnati trounced them them and they lost to Syracuse by a bundle last year, not like they were a few veteran plays away from a BCS year. I do like UConn though, they have heart. I see the Big East something like this -- 1-Pitt 2-WVU 3-UConn 4-RU 5-Cinci 6-USF 7/8-irrelevant. It should be a good sending off for the old conference.

P.S. on the FF13 front. I don't know what it is about this game but I don't think the plot is necessarily awful as much as heavy handed. I like Sazh's voice actor, but Vanille and Snow make me think "could you possibly find someone with less appreciation for subtlety." I mean they are supposed to be characters not caricatures. It just lacks some refinement. The accessory/weapon system is also just "items are worth points but then some are worth MORE points." I just don't feel the depth and discovery of the materia system from 7. It all also gives me the overwhelming feeling I'm too old to play these kinds of games anymore, which makes me sad, because I really need to play Kingdom hearts 3.

I will give you that pitt and wvu are #1 and 2, but i think ru is the clear #3 spot right now, and with a couple of breaks will be in the hunt for a bcs bid. This may not be the year, but Id say there is a very good chance RU is the favorite going in to 2012, i.e. the final year of big east football (as we know it). And what's the point of rooting for your team if you don't think they're God's gift :D I'd be happy to wager a night of beers on this year's RU Pitt game

I really liked Sazh, he was the first really well done American character, but the gameplay was just lame.

Pitt vs. Rutgers - losing team's alum buys.

FeuerFrei

Postby FeuerFrei » Tue May 11, 2010 7:46 pm

Last edited by FeuerFrei on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Tue May 11, 2010 7:48 pm

ReelectClayDavis wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
billyez wrote:

What 1L profs have this policy? Been a while since I've done handwritten in-class notes, my handwriting is terrible.

Big thumbs down for banning an improvement just because a few people don't use it for socially optimal purposes or whatever.

Lots and the number is increasing rather than decreasing. Without getting too deep into this, I'm not sure how far the argument that laptops are an improvement in a law school class gets you. Class is heavily oriented towards lecture and discussion and the principles discussed tend to be fleshing out a single principle each day rather than hammering out pages of fact intensive stuff.

tl;dr You don't have that much to write and laptops ruin immersion. If it's a class with slides and you like taking notes on the slides as prof lectures, print them out.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”