UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
YCrevolution

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby YCrevolution » Mon May 10, 2010 2:17 pm

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Mon May 10, 2010 3:13 pm

Did anyone use an apartment locator they'd like to pass along the name of? Trying to find a one bedroom in the $650-$800 range that will allow a small dog has produced very limited results.

My past experiences with locators haven't inspired a ton of confidence. But at this point, it's probably worth a shot.

ReelectClayDavis

Postby ReelectClayDavis » Mon May 10, 2010 3:19 pm

Don't let the last time I gave you real estate advice scare you String,

http://www.brac.com/

worked for me. Wasn't looking real near the law school, though.

memaha

Postby memaha » Mon May 10, 2010 4:08 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:Did anyone use an apartment locator they'd like to pass along the name of? Trying to find a one bedroom in the $650-$800 range that will allow a small dog has produced very limited results.

My past experiences with locators haven't inspired a ton of confidence. But at this point, it's probably worth a shot.

Craigslist seems to have a decent number of postings for 1 bedrooms, a bunch don't say anything about pets, but never hurts to try. HTH. What breed do you have?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Mon May 10, 2010 4:28 pm

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Mon May 10, 2010 4:34 pm

PopCopyManager wrote:Random Housing Question: Anyone familiar with the parking situation (or lack thereof) at the Graduate Centre? The person I am in contact with has said that parking is "first come, first serve" each time someone leaves the property, which makes me extremely nervous. Any advice? I will definitely have a car with me next year.

Thanks!

I'm in the Graduate Centre, although I don't have a car. To my knowledge, my suite-mates have never not found parking here. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Mon May 10, 2010 5:34 pm

ReelectClayDavis wrote:Don't let the last time I gave you real estate advice scare you String,

Please tell me this has nothing to do with apartment hunting in Charlottesville. The Wire references FTW???

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Mon May 10, 2010 6:56 pm

ReelectClayDavis wrote:Don't let the last time I gave you real estate advice scare you String,

Thanks. I had used BRAC awhile back, but honestly had forgotten about it until you just mentioned it. We'll call it even on the condo development debacle :D . There aren't many dog friendly places listed in the areas I was hoping to live, but I will have to make sure to keep looking at that site during my searches.

memaha wrote:Craigslist seems to have a decent number of postings for 1 bedrooms, a bunch don't say anything about pets, but never hurts to try. HTH. What breed do you have?

I've been checking Craigslist pretty frequently. I've tried a few places that don't mention a pet policy one way or the other and they don't seem to want to budge. I actually saw a few new places today I need to look into. My canine buddy is a big bad pug.

YCrevolution wrote:Woodward Properties also has a bunch of stuff in Charlottesville.

Thanks, YC. I've checked them out, but they seem to have zero tolerance for pets. It's pretty amazing to me how many places in Cville won't allow dogs. I guess the occupancy rates must be pretty high. I live in a large city right now and I would say a large majority of places for rent will allow dogs as long as they weigh less than 25 pounds.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Mon May 10, 2010 6:57 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:

Please tell me this has nothing to do with apartment hunting in Charlottesville. The Wire references FTW???

Mos def

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Mon May 10, 2010 8:21 pm

3,000th post ITT. Congratulations UVA Class of 2013! :lol:

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Mon May 10, 2010 8:23 pm

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon May 10, 2010 8:24 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:3,000th post ITT. Congratulations UVA Class of 2013! :lol:

Falling behind the Class of 2012. We were at 3,000 by May 06.

Tsk, tsk. :wink:

Not only that, but us 2012ers have been helping them out a whole bunch. :wink:

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Mon May 10, 2010 9:54 pm

Uh-oh, time for us 2013ers to step up and stir the pot, get some chat going. Topics of conversation:

College sports for the upcoming year: Whose undergrad will have the best year? Probably mine (Pitt). Top ~15 football team and top ~5 basketball team. We only lost one basketball starter this year and he was also the only senior we lost. On the football side of things we remain strong on the D-Line with upgrades in the secondary. We also managed to keep our best offensive players and upgrade the QB position. Our O-line is a little shaky but I think it will come together.

On that note: Big Ten expansion? rumor is they are taking the entire eastern seaboard from Rhode Island to Georgia. Thoughts? Ought the Saint Terassi school of secretarial accounting be allowed in given their low SAT scores?

Other bones of contention: and by that I mean this: who is everyone's favorite character in The Wire other than those whose choice would be obvious (correct answer is Bubbles). What has everyone been listening to lately? I have been listening to a lot of Wilco lately because I saw their concert a few weeks ago and it rocked.

Mass Effect 2 - great game or greatest game? FF13 is tepid in comparison.

Is anyone else a beer fan/snob?

BTW someone mentioned wine tasting, are the local vineyards good? It seems a lot of places in C-Ville pride themselves on carrying local bottles. Are we doomed to drink yellowtail-esque libations forever?

That is all.

dgouzoul

Postby dgouzoul » Mon May 10, 2010 10:50 pm

best undergrad sports? UNC. football defense is filthy and if we can kick out TJ Yates from the starting QB spot and put in one of the far superior backups, offense will be a threat.

basketball is a no-brainer. wear twins are gone (they sucked), harrison barnes aka jesus is in.

as for beer...keystone light and busch light. occasionally i'll go real big and get blue moon.

best wire character - Omar, and it's not even close. absolute stud.

slider

Postby slider » Mon May 10, 2010 11:12 pm

Doritos wrote:
slider wrote:(Off-topic)

Best laugh I've had all day! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8PAuvxC ... re=related

Thanks Slider I loved that! If you liked that you could very well enjoy this...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8WiyX21A1c

LMAO!

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Mon May 10, 2010 11:12 pm

dgouzoul wrote:best undergrad sports? UNC. football defense is filthy and if we can kick out TJ Yates from the starting QB spot and put in one of the far superior backups, offense will be a threat.

basketball is a no-brainer. wear twins are gone (they sucked), harrison barnes aka jesus is in.

as for beer...keystone light and busch light. occasionally i'll go real big and get blue moon.

best wire character - Omar, and it's not even close. absolute stud.

You might need the holy trinity after last season. Team looked wet behind the ears and scattered. You'll always have the talent I'm just not sure you're an elite 8 team quite yet. Pitt and UNC football are clones of each other except for our coaches don't sport the same facial hair. Same style of play but I think our offensive skill positions are better. We did beat you last time out too.

billyez

Postby billyez » Mon May 10, 2010 11:47 pm

Mass Effect 2 sucks because I can't play it. I refuse to own all three video game systems, so I'll never get the chance to play it. SquareEnix had the right idea when they put FFXIII on the 360 and the PS3. I'm a little bitter about not having the game, as you can tell.

Anyway, Omar is the best character on the Wire. Remember when he was put on the stand and cross-examined? Stringer wasn't my favorite character, but he was one of the most interesting to me - perhaps the most multi-dimensional "villian" of the story. Marlo Stanfield was a rather empty vessel in comparison.

billyez

Postby billyez » Tue May 11, 2010 12:07 am

YCrevolution wrote:About half of your 1L professors will forbid you from using laptops in class

WTF? I haven't seriously used a notebook (outside of the technological sense) in a class for the last three years. Why in the world would they be against such a thing?

CFC11

Postby CFC11 » Tue May 11, 2010 12:20 am

Anyone play COD MW2? I'm also super excited for Halo Reach!

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Tue May 11, 2010 12:32 am

Doritos wrote:
slider wrote:(Off-topic)

Best laugh I've had all day! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8PAuvxC ... re=related

Thanks Slider I loved that! If you liked that you could very well enjoy this...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8WiyX21A1c

Ha, their audience was pretty cold during that performance.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Tue May 11, 2010 12:37 am

billyez wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:About half of your 1L professors will forbid you from using laptops in class

WTF? I haven't seriously used a notebook (outside of the technological sense) in a class for the last three years. Why in the world would they be against such a thing?

Look at what the people in your laptop classes are doing. As a matter of fact, check the post times of the current 1Ls. The clusterings may surprise you.

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Tue May 11, 2010 12:59 am

What are the logistics of securing a lender for PLUS loans? Is UVa going to be the direct lender for PLUS loans or strictly Staffords?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue May 11, 2010 1:00 am

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Tue May 11, 2010 1:01 am

YCrevolution wrote:
D Brooks wrote:What are the logistics of securing a lender for PLUS loans? Is UVa going to be the direct lender for PLUS loans or strictly Staffords?

UVA will be a direct lender for all federal loans.

I didn't know PLUS loans fell under the federal category. So I don't have to do anything between now and orientation and $$ will just show up in my account come August 16?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue May 11, 2010 1:03 am

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”