UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
vanwinkle

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby vanwinkle » Fri May 07, 2010 5:25 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:A 9% increase in cost for a service whose monetary value is at best stagnant somewhat flies in the face of the economic principles of a free market. But I have no beef with UVA for doing it. Don't hate the player, hate the game. This is why I have the opinions I do about educational lending.

Which are?

Can we please not have that argument in the C/O 2013 forum? Because if we do it will go like this:

Stringer Bell et. al: Government lending artificially inflates tuition, exacerbating the problem
Everyone else: But we couldn't afford to go to school without such programs
Stringer Bell: You don't have a right to go to school, though, and private lenders would pick up the slack at appropriate rates
Everyone else: But but WE LIKE GOV'T LENDING
ARGUMENT ENSUES UNTIL LOCK, THE END

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Fri May 07, 2010 5:33 pm

YCrevolution wrote:Which are?

I'm of the free market, minimize the government's role, etc. mindset. I've had this debate a few times on TLS. Kohinoor and Vanwinkle have been on the opposite side at least a couple of times. I'm too busy to get into it now and probably shouldn't have brought it up. I'm just bummed seeing the tuition increase become official even though I knew it was coming.

Kohinoor wrote:What if the service was undervalued?

Actually a good point. Market corrections occur all the time. 9% in one year isn't a big deal. It's more how much it has increased over the past 10 years or so. If the "market" is working, then a JD was extremely undervalued 10 years ago.
Last edited by Stringer Bell on Fri May 07, 2010 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Fri May 07, 2010 5:36 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:A 9% increase in cost for a service whose monetary value is at best stagnant somewhat flies in the face of the economic principles of a free market. But I have no beef with UVA for doing it. Don't hate the player, hate the game. This is why I have the opinions I do about educational lending.

Which are?

Can we please not have that argument in the C/O 2013 forum? Because if we do it will go like this:

Stringer Bell et. al: Government lending artificially inflates tuition, exacerbating the problem
Everyone else: But we couldn't afford to go to school without such programs
Stringer Bell: You don't have a right to go to school, though, and private lenders would pick up the slack at appropriate rates
Everyone else: But but WE LIKE GOV'T LENDING
ARGUMENT ENSUES UNTIL LOCK, THE END

Not a bad recap, although my position is a little miscontrued. I agree c/o 2013 is not the best place for the argument. I probably shouldn't have brought it up.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri May 07, 2010 5:42 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:Not a bad recap, although my position is a little miscontrued.

I kinda misconstrued the side I normally take too. I was going for brevity, not trying to rehash the whole argument. Avoiding rehashing the whole argument was the whole point. :wink:

I also find the tuition hike frustrating, especially in light of the job market right now. It's kind of depressing to think about how much money it's going to take to repay back my loans even if I find solid employment. But, for now it's like that everywhere, so it doesn't really affect the decision to attend UVA in particular.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Fri May 07, 2010 5:54 pm

All that money and we still have less Supreme Court justices than prestigious Litchfield Law...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_La ... defunct.29 Come on Napolitano!

dgouzoul

Postby dgouzoul » Fri May 07, 2010 5:55 pm

Doritos wrote:All that money and we still have less Supreme Court justices than prestigious Litchfield Law...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_La ... defunct.29 Come on Napolitano!

:|

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Fri May 07, 2010 5:57 pm

dgouzoul wrote:
Doritos wrote:All that money and we still have less Supreme Court justices than prestigious Litchfield Law...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_La ... defunct.29 Come on Napolitano!

Don't give me that look

dgouzoul

Postby dgouzoul » Fri May 07, 2010 5:59 pm

Doritos wrote:
dgouzoul wrote:

Don't give me that look

i dont care about the justice pick, i was more appalled at litchfield law showing us up. but if she doesnt make it in...

doritos 4 SCOTUS

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Fri May 07, 2010 6:00 pm

Doritos wrote:
dgouzoul wrote:

Don't give me that look

Do you really think Napolitano has a shot?

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Fri May 07, 2010 6:10 pm

Philo38 wrote:
Doritos wrote:
dgouzoul wrote:

Don't give me that look

Do you really think Napolitano has a shot?

Yeah I was kidding it's down to four right now from what the news people say. Diane Wood, Kagan, Sidney Thomas, and Garland. It's Ok...we have more beer and softball per capita than Litchfield Law ever had. And dg, I have yet to hear from Obama though I make sure to keep my phone close. Whether or not I get the Scotus call will influence my decision to enter the NBA draft or wait until after law school. Everything is in flux

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Fri May 07, 2010 6:22 pm

Doritos wrote:

Yeah I was kidding it's down to four right now from what the news people say. Diane Wood, Kagan, Sidney Thomas, and Garland. It's Ok...we have more beer and softball per capita than Litchfield Law ever had. And dg, I have yet to hear from Obama though I make sure to keep my phone close. Whether or not I get the Scotus call will influence my decision to enter the NBA draft or wait until after law school. Everything is in flux

Good plan. Although, you could do both at the same time with some creative scheduling.

plum

Postby plum » Fri May 07, 2010 6:29 pm

oh bloody hell. i accepted my loans (stupidly) before the tuition hikes. and i don't need to accept the full amount of the grad plus loans since my family is willing to cover my living expenses etc. now i need to ask for a higher amount of the grad plus loans than i've accepted. i can't find a way of doing this on the SIS website. anyone have any experience with this? i guess i will just wait until monday and call up the finaid office and hopefully they'll let me?

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Fri May 07, 2010 6:43 pm

Lotta moving pieces. Even if the value of the law degree is constant, for a lot of people it's increased relative to their other options. Supply and demand.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Fri May 07, 2010 7:32 pm

dailygrind wrote:

Lotta moving pieces. Even if the value of the law degree is constant, for a lot of people it's increased relative to their other options. Supply and demand.

You are correct that it's not that simple to say "tuition's up this year, jobs are down, the market is broken." I will reply with the same response I had to Kohinoor calling me out on that statement. I was more making a commentary on how tuition keeps going up substantially over time regardless of any external forces. I will refrain from a debate of my position.

I do feel the need to clarify what I meant by that statement, because I will admit it was oversimplistic and not a strong basis for my position.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Sat May 08, 2010 10:52 am

boo jersey shore wrote:
Doritos wrote:
dgouzoul wrote:

Don't give me that look

I'll give you that look. Napolitano? Srsly?

Granted, it appears she's not still in the game, but Brian Leiter didn't seem to think it was such a ridiculous idea. And around these parts, vox Leiter vox dei.

slider

Postby slider » Sat May 08, 2010 5:56 pm

(Off-topic)

Best laugh I've had all day! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8PAuvxC ... re=related

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat May 08, 2010 6:04 pm

boo jersey shore wrote:6. She has the strong support of the two Republican Senators from Arizona, which will help neutralize Republican opposition.

Hell no to this. The republicans would fight like hell to prevent her seating. Hell, Wood and Kagan have a better chance of repub support than she does.

I agree with this. The GOP in AZ would move to demonize her for letting the situation in AZ get as bad as it is (whether it's her fault or not; I don't believe it is, but that's not the point). She exemplifies the problem to them, the "elitist liberals" that don't solve the problem and leave it up to them to take care of the border disputes.

I'd love to see her get it, but the nomination process would be brutal and I don't think she could get any GOP support at all. She'd be the perfect poster person for their "standing up to Washington" (despite the fact that they are Washington as much as the Dems are).

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Sat May 08, 2010 6:14 pm

Spent all this morning checking out apartments in C'ville....and all afternoon tasting wine at wineries...

all in all, a good day so far.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sat May 08, 2010 6:16 pm

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Sat May 08, 2010 6:18 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
oneforship wrote:Spent all this morning checking out apartments in C'ville....and all afternoon tasting wine at wineries...

all in all, a good day so far.

Did you ever talk with the Admissions office about the deferring thing? Since you're looking at apts, I assume you're showing up this fall.*

*Hurray!

I asked about deferring, without specifically referencing getting $ to do it, but did ask about financial aid for deferred students, and I was just answered with the basic info.

I told them I would think about it for a couple more weeks, but I don't expect to see an offer which means I expect to be here this fall.

billyez

Postby billyez » Sat May 08, 2010 6:29 pm

vanwinkle wrote:I'd love to see her get it, but the nomination process would be brutal and I don't think she could get any GOP support at all. She'd be the perfect poster person for their "standing up to Washington" (despite the fact that they are Washington as much as the Dems are).

Just to be clear, it doesn't matter who he picks. Even if he picked the person on his short list who I actually want I'd frame her as someone who wasn't in line with American values. The GOP won't support whomever he picks except for a few token exceptions within the party that won't effect the proceedings*. That being sad, Napolitano would be the most "brutal" of all of them and I just don't see the reason for nominating her.

*Which isn't a good thing. President Obama might as well just choose Harold Koh or someone who is a bonafide liberal since the GOP is so devoted to this scorched earth policy of theirs.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Sat May 08, 2010 8:46 pm

boo jersey shore wrote:I still believe, albeit with less support than ever from those around me, that Kagan is it. It's between her and Wood at this point.

From what I've heard they're going to announce on Monday that it is Kagan.

I agree with billyez though. And while I understand that they don't want to expend the political capital on a brutal nomination fight, that's a pretty weak reason in my opinion, as they're already blowing it by taking up the immigration reform fight.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat May 08, 2010 8:49 pm

billyez wrote:Just to be clear, it doesn't matter who he picks. Even if he picked the person on his short list who I actually want I'd frame her as someone who wasn't in line with American values.

I understand the GOP will come out hard against whoever he picks at the beginning. However, I think the fight against Napolitano is just much more sustainable. He needs a candidate that's hard to attack without looking like the bad guy. Napolitano isn't that.

whattodo2008

Postby whattodo2008 » Sun May 09, 2010 12:42 pm

Found this data that shows the tuition hikes of the schools at UVA interesting:

http://www.web.virginia.edu/IAAS/data_c ... Law%20Fees

jdavid901

Postby jdavid901 » Sun May 09, 2010 8:18 pm

Do the classrooms have power outlets near the seats where you can plug in your laptop?

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”