UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
HJO

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby HJO » Mon May 03, 2010 2:30 pm

damn. lacrosse players from the ACC really aren't doing themselves any favors. RIP to the girl, these things shouldn't ever happen.

wackjickham

Postby wackjickham » Mon May 03, 2010 3:01 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I read it seems four of the Duke players and this UVA guy all went to the same high school. Sure it looks great on them.

virginiagirl55

Postby virginiagirl55 » Mon May 03, 2010 4:19 pm

wackjickham wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I read it seems four of the Duke players and this UVA guy all went to the same high school. Sure it looks great on them.

last time i checked, the duke lacrosse players didn't do anything wrong, except legally hire a stripper.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon May 03, 2010 4:27 pm

virginiagirl55 wrote:
wackjickham wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I read it seems four of the Duke players and this UVA guy all went to the same high school. Sure it looks great on them.

last time i checked, the duke lacrosse players [strike]didn't do anything wrong, except legally hire a stripper.[/strike]were not convicted of any crimes.

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Mon May 03, 2010 4:28 pm

dailygrind wrote:

I'm #28, and if you're on the ground floor too I gotta imagine we're gonna be neighbors. Howdy.

Howdy. Funny how that happens, see you in the fall.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Mon May 03, 2010 6:09 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
virginiagirl55 wrote:

last time i checked, the duke lacrosse players didn't do anything wrong, except legally hire a stripper, [strike]were not convicted of any crimes,[/strike] and the alleged "victim" clearly made false accusations.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Mon May 03, 2010 6:30 pm

Cavalier wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
virginiagirl55 wrote:

last time i checked, the duke lacrosse players didn't do anything wrong, except legally hire a stripper and go to Duke, [strike]were not convicted of any crimes,[/strike] and the alleged "victim" clearly made false accusations.

michstudent10

Postby michstudent10 » Mon May 03, 2010 8:16 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
michstudent10 wrote:
pilotgal wrote:
alirod12 wrote:Okay, I'm coming too. Anyone else with a big dog?

Not sure what you consider big, but I'm coming with two Siberian Huskies, about 50 pounds a piece. It's going to be a big change from a house with a big yard to an apartment, but I'm trying to look on the bright side and think about how fit I will be after three years of running with them several miles per day. :-)

I'm a HUGE fan of big dogs... I've got 2 Newfoundlands back home at my parents' and they're pretty much the loves of my life. I'd bring them to UVA with me if I could. I'm definitely planning on adopting one of my own during my 2nd year (ivy doesn't allow dogs) - what kind of big dog do you have?

I've been waiting for you to show your face around here and pick up on that post.

How was Obama? :D

Haha, you know me too well. Obama was incredible, the text for his speech is on http://www.freep.com - definitely worth checking out.

Also - does anyone know which banks are most common in C'ville? I'm trying to switch my account over from the bank my undergrad used & I want to make sure that there are enough branches out there. Thanks guys!

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Mon May 03, 2010 8:32 pm

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Mon May 03, 2010 9:10 pm

Thanks Rev. Of course today I opened up a Chase account and it's nowhere to be found on that list. Sheesh.

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Mon May 03, 2010 10:18 pm

The Darden computer bundles are up, I imagine the Dell option will be pretty similiar to what we may see at the Law School, although they don't have a Mac option (which I think the Law School said they will . . .)

Not the best computer guy, but it seems like the prices are pretty darn good for everything that you get.
http://www.uvastudentcomputers.com/shop_darden.asp

Let me add:

"For the incoming Class of 2013 we are expanding supported laptop offerings. If you do not care for our two dedicated Law Bundle options, you are welcome to order any of the Cavalier Computers laptops and still qualify for hardware support and a loaner laptop. This includes Undergraduate options once they are released. We will not have the same specialized knowledge of these other models, you will not be able to get an identical model as a loaner, and you will not be allowed to customize the warranty and software of these other models to fit your needs as a Law student but we will do our best to otherwise support these other models."

From http://www.law.virginia.edu/main/PC+Purchase

So I assume that means these Darden bundles are in play for us as well.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Mon May 03, 2010 10:36 pm

To add to Philo's post I emailed the financial aid office awhile back about the extra loan money for computer purchase. They said that you can show a receipt or like an ad out of the paper showing how much the computer costs and they will add that to your loan disbursement. So it sounds like you do not have to have a receipt when you request the loan increase. So, it seems you can wait until you actually get the loan money (Aug. 16 is disbursement day I believe) if cash is tight for you.

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Mon May 03, 2010 10:39 pm

Those laptops are fast, much faster than you would need to do law school work or anything else that is really normal to do on a laptop. Also, 1600 bucks is a lot to spend on a laptop even with a warranty and all. I wouldn't go over 3 figures it will just become obsolete too fast.

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Mon May 03, 2010 10:41 pm

Doritos wrote:To add to Philo's post I emailed the financial aid office awhile back about the extra loan money for computer purchase. They said that you can show a receipt or like an ad out of the paper showing how much the computer costs and they will add that to your loan disbursement. So it sounds like you do not have to have a receipt when you request the loan increase. So, it seems you can wait until you actually get the loan money (Aug. 16 is disbursement day I believe) if cash is tight for you.

"The Law School's Financial Aid Office will increase a student's budget up to $2,500 toward the cost of any notebook computer purchased on or after May 1, 2010 upon request from the student and submission of supporting documentation (i.e., sales receipt or PC vendor's price quote) to the Financial Aid Office. This increase is available only to J.D. candidates."

So yeah, I think you are right. Of course, if the PC you are buying is their bundle I don't guess they will need documentation of a price quote; so what do you do, just tell them your intent to purchase the bundle? Kind of doesn't sound right to me . . . but seems right.
Last edited by Philo38 on Mon May 03, 2010 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slider

Postby slider » Mon May 03, 2010 10:49 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:Those laptops are fast, much faster than you would need to do law school work or anything else that is really normal to do on a laptop. Also, 1600 bucks is a lot to spend on a laptop even with a warranty and all. I wouldn't go over 3 figures it will just become obsolete too fast.

I agree with this. Spending that much for a laptop you will use for word processing and research is ridiculous.

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Mon May 03, 2010 11:08 pm

slider wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:Those laptops are fast, much faster than you would need to do law school work or anything else that is really normal to do on a laptop. Also, 1600 bucks is a lot to spend on a laptop even with a warranty and all. I wouldn't go over 3 figures it will just become obsolete too fast.

I agree with this. Spending that much for a laptop you will use for word processing and research is ridiculous.

This was my attitude for undergrad. I spent 600 bucks and have been pulling my hair out consistently for 4 years, and I know many people for whom this is the case. That said, probably most plan on using the computers for more than just word-processing, I think. I really don't think it is the case that those who don't do some kind of professional AV work or intense gaming or whatever else don't enjoy a very solid computer. The majority of users simply surf the web, view some streaming video, manage pictures/music, and prepare documents, and I think it is fair to say that the majoirty of average users who have had a cheap-o and a high-quality will experience a significant difference. It isn't as if the high quality computers only begin to show themselves when you start pushing them to their limits.

Also, don't forget that you are not paying 1600 for the computer. You are paying for a significant amount of software, warranty, service, etc.

EDIT - Also, let me just add now that I think about it: I am talking about the difference between a $600-$700 machine and a $1000 dollar machine (which is what the computers chosen by Darden and probably the Law School as well run). We are talking about $300-$400 extra, not $1500 extra or more. I wouldn't argue someone needs a $2,500 machine for just for law school. But I will just say from my experience, there [i]is[i] a difference for that extra $300-$400, and I think it is worth it.

What I really need to consider the worth of is the expensive service option of CavComputers v just buying from an outside vendor.
Last edited by Philo38 on Mon May 03, 2010 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Mon May 03, 2010 11:24 pm

Yeah, but the computing power required for everyday use hasn't changed much over the last 4 years; maybe it's doubled if you stream a lot of stuff over the internet. Meanwhile, computing power per dollar has increased by somewhere between 5-10 times. IMO the cheap/expensive gap in everyday user experience has shrunk significantly.

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Mon May 03, 2010 11:29 pm

Doritos wrote:Aug. 16 is disbursement day I believe

Where did you read this? I'm curious how much $$ I'll need to bring with me to Charlottesville to survive for the first few weeks before $$ will be deposited in my account.

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Mon May 03, 2010 11:37 pm

Philo38 wrote:
slider wrote:

This was my attitude for undergrad. I spent 600 bucks and have been pulling my hair out consistently for 4 years, and I know many people for whom this is the case. That said, probably most plan on using the computers for more than just word-processing, I think. I really don't think it is the case that those who don't do some kind of professional AV work or intense gaming or whatever else don't enjoy a very solid computer. The majority of users simply surf the web, view some streaming video, manage pictures/music, and prepare documents, and I think it is fair to say that the majoirty of average users who have had a cheap-o and a high-quality will experience a significant difference. It isn't as if the high quality computers only begin to show themselves when you start pushing them to their limits.

Also, don't forget that you are not paying 1600 for the computer. You are paying for a significant amount of software, warranty, service, etc.

EDIT - Also, let me just add now that I think about it: I am talking about the difference between a $600-$700 machine and a $1000 dollar machine (which is what the computers chosen by Darden and probably the Law School as well run). We are talking about $300-$400 extra, not $1500 extra or more. I wouldn't argue someone needs a $2,500 machine for just for law school. But I will just say from my experience, there [i]is[i] a difference for that extra $300-$400, and I think it is worth it.

What I really need to consider the worth of is the expensive service option of CavComputers v just buying from an outside vendor.

I think 600 might be too little for a computer not for what's under the hood, but because at 600 you are probably looking at lower range Compaq/HP with poor build quality (I know compaq laptops have poor build quality). I think for under a thousand you can get a well-built machine and software is not that expensive. In fact Pitt gives me windows 7 and MS Office for free every year, I think I have 3 copies of MS's last 3 operating systems and like 6 copies of office. Not everyone does, but I think UVA sells those programs anyhow and really, what others software do we need? ( http://itc.virginia.edu/software/mslicenses/ and it's pretty cheap)

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Mon May 03, 2010 11:40 pm

dailygrind wrote:Yeah, but the computing power required for everyday use hasn't changed much over the last 4 years; maybe it's doubled if you stream a lot of stuff over the internet. Meanwhile, computing power per dollar has increased by somewhere between 5-10 times. IMO the cheap/expensive gap in everyday user experience has shrunk significantly.

Probably true, plus had I not gotten Vista (and been stupid enough to stick with it) I think I would be happier.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Mon May 03, 2010 11:42 pm

In the Student Information System (SIS) student center. https://sisuva.admin.virginia.edu/psp/e ... PAPP_GUEST Click SIS login to get to yours. I clicked on the View Financial Aid link, and then 2010-2011 and then on view scheduled disbursement or something along those lines. It has disbursement for the fall term on 8/16/10 and for the winter/spring semester 1/17/11. I am hoping that means $$$ in my account and not check put in the mail on that date.....

In regards to the laptops...I think the biggest thing is getting a nice WARRANTY. I spent $1600 on a gaming laptop for undergrad and literally weeks after the one year warranty ended the screen malfunctions and needs replacing. Over $500 for it. Unless these law bundles are a bargain I plan on getting a relatively inexpensive laptop from Best Buy and purchasing their 3 year warranty. Covers everything (manufacturer defects and user stupidity) and comes with free battery replacement. I must admit the idea of a loaner computer is tempting and I will have to look into what Best Buy has to offer as far as something like that.
Last edited by Doritos on Mon May 03, 2010 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Mon May 03, 2010 11:45 pm

Hm, at ASW they said checks would be mailed/direct deposited 10 days before classes begin. That is the 8th I believe? Lots of information flying around here.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Mon May 03, 2010 11:48 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:Hm, at ASW they said checks would be mailed/direct deposited 10 days before classes begin. That is the 8th I believe? Lots of information flying around here.

I haven't heard that but that's how my undergrad did it. We had our money in our accounts at least a week before classes began. I am just going off what I see on the SIS page. I'll send an email and tell you guys what I find out

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Tue May 04, 2010 12:04 am

Perhaps this coming year will be different but the last 2 years, loan money did not arrive until after school started.

plum

Postby plum » Tue May 04, 2010 12:28 am

ahh that thinkpad looks pretty secksy

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”