UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
laxplayer12

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby laxplayer12 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:08 pm

For those of you who attended the ASW in March, had any of you already visited & decided to attend UVA in the past? I'm trying to figure out whether or not it is worth it to go (I've got a ton of work to do this weekend & its a lot of traveling) if I've already leased an apartment, seen the campus, etc. Did you guys meet a lot of people and make friends with other 0Ls or was it more to learn about the school and what UVA can offer? Did it prepare you for next year in any way?

Sorry, I know I posted a similar question in the ASW thread but I need to make a decision ASAP and any input is greatly appreciated!

jtang11

Postby jtang11 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:41 pm

laxplayer12 wrote:For those of you who attended the ASW in March, had any of you already visited & decided to attend UVA in the past? I'm trying to figure out whether or not it is worth it to go (I've got a ton of work to do this weekend & its a lot of traveling) if I've already leased an apartment, seen the campus, etc. Did you guys meet a lot of people and make friends with other 0Ls or was it more to learn about the school and what UVA can offer? Did it prepare you for next year in any way?

Sorry, I know I posted a similar question in the ASW thread but I need to make a decision ASAP and any input is greatly appreciated!

I felt the best part about ASW was the opportunity to meet classmates and see what the sorts of personalities you'd be living with and having class with next year, as well as seeing the sort of atmosphere created by current students. Beyond that, I don't think you'll learn a whole lot beyond what you've already seen or anything a few emails and phone conversations wouldn't tell you. That's just my opinion of course.

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:05 pm

Bbop wrote:
astro1819 wrote:For those of you who have looked at housing on the admitted students weekend, when did you visit houses/apartments? Thursday, or Saturday? Also, did you contact the landlord ahead of time or did you just stop by when you had a free minute? Plan to visit this weekend and I'm trying to figure out my schedule, thanks!

I'd like to know as well. I've been lurking on here for a while now, but I guess its finally time to make a post. I was going to look at some privately owned places on Saturday since it seems like all the nearby apt. complexes are already full.

If you're open to living with others, the UVA facebook group has a few people looking for roommates.

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:28 pm

Paratiel wrote:Do not miss registration. They can drop you if you do so without really good reason.

I definitely won't miss registration. I noticed on last year's schedule that the first day only had two optional evening events (http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/studen ... tation.htm). Did registration happen on that day, and they just did not mention it on the schedule?

Also, does anyone know when UVA will release the orientation schedule for 2010?[/quote]

Okay, so I am actually starting to think that the Monday the 16th will not reflect the Sunday the 16th from last year's schedule (2 optional events). If it is like last year and we have two full days of required events that Monday the 16th and Tuesday the 17th, than a 16th move-in date is not actually the day before law school begins as Kathy told me, it is actually the day it begins. If that is true, I simply don't see how I can manage to move in the same day orientation begins. Its impossible.

Should I sign this lease?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:33 pm

Philo38 wrote:Okay, so I am actually starting to think that the Monday the 16th will not reflect the Sunday the 16th from last year's schedule (2 optional events). If it is like last year and we have two full days of required events that Monday the 16th and Tuesday the 17th, than a 16th move-in date is not actually the day before law school begins as Kathy told me, it is actually the day it begins. If that is true, I simply don't see how I can manage to move in the same day orientation begins. Its impossible.

Should I sign this lease?

Those Sunday optional events are skippable, but the Monday events won't be. The two full days of required events will be what you need to worry about, and they should be on Monday and Tuesday.

Talk to Kathy about it. See if you can possibly move in the day before. Moving in the 15th and starting class the 16th might be okay.

Muckduck

Postby Muckduck » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:19 pm

Bbop wrote:
astro1819 wrote:For those of you who have looked at housing on the admitted students weekend, when did you visit houses/apartments? Thursday, or Saturday? Also, did you contact the landlord ahead of time or did you just stop by when you had a free minute? Plan to visit this weekend and I'm trying to figure out my schedule, thanks!

I'd like to know as well. I've been lurking on here for a while now, but I guess its finally time to make a post. I was going to look at some privately owned places on Saturday since it seems like all the nearby apt. complexes are already full.

I visited apartments Thursday, and my wife looked at some more on Friday. It's always a good idea to let the landlord/property manager know you want to look at it so that they can warn tenants in advance. Some apartments have a policy of not showing anything without 24 hrs advanced notice.

laxplayer12 wrote:For those of you who attended the ASW in March, had any of you already visited & decided to attend UVA in the past? I'm trying to figure out whether or not it is worth it to go (I've got a ton of work to do this weekend & its a lot of traveling) if I've already leased an apartment, seen the campus, etc. Did you guys meet a lot of people and make friends with other 0Ls or was it more to learn about the school and what UVA can offer? Did it prepare you for next year in any way?

I had already decided to go as well before I went to the ASW in March. It was still a great experience to meet some of the faculty and administration. It was also great for me to meet students and get a feel for the place that I will be attending for the next 3 years. It is different than a regular visit when you are being treated and entertained like an admitted student. Overall the experience confirmed to me that UVA was the right place for me. I am glad that I will have the good feeling as I prepare to move to C-ville. However, I can see how $$$ constraints might overshadow that fuzzy feeling that I cherish so much. :D Your call.

dgouzoul

Postby dgouzoul » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:48 pm

i hate duke

that is all

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:00 am

Muckduck

Postby Muckduck » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:29 am

I love Duke. It would have been cool to have the Cinderella team win it all, but Duke deserved it too. What a program.

leavingnc

Postby leavingnc » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:38 am

man, i might have to rethink UVA if these duke-lovers are going to be my classmates.

just kidding...kind of.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:09 am

Muckduck wrote:I love Duke. It would have been cool to have the Cinderella team win it all, but Duke deserved it too. What a program.

leavingnc wrote:man, i might have to rethink UVA if these duke-lovers are going to be my classmates.

just kidding...kind of.

Seriously, dude. That's like, "the competition" now!

Besides, what Brad Stevens has managed to do at Butler, now THAT is impressive.

akira2185

Postby akira2185 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:18 am

anybody else hear back from the range folks? will I be the only 1L on the range?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:34 am

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:56 pm

For those of you that are coming to the April ASW but didn't request a host, here's a schedule for everything (unrelated to the official Open House) going on over the weekend. If you have any questions, you can PM me. For those that don't know, this ASW overlaps with the UVA Law Softball Invitational which is 120 teams from 54 law schools converging on UVA for an annual weekend softball tournament. UVA is not surprisingly very competitive every year and it's a really fun weekend.

Thurs 4/8:
5:30-7:00- Admitted Students BBQ (Spies Garden inside the law school, free)
8:00- Admitted Students Ice Cream and Bar Review (Meeting at Arch's on
the Corner and then Bar Review at Boylan Heights)

Fri 4/9:
3:00- Softball Registration Night at Wild Wings Cafe (Law School Band
will be playing at 10:30 PM but teams will be stopping in throughout
to check in)
6:00- Softball- UVA Co-Rec Gold vs. New England School of Law (Park 6)
6:00- Softball- UVA Co-Rec Orange vs. Brooklyn (McIntire 1)
7:00- UVA Baseball vs. Georgia Tech (Davenport Stadium, both teams are
top 5 in the country, tickets are free for students, I believe $7 for
guests)
7:00- Softball- UVA Co-Rec Blue vs. Boston University (Park 1)
8:00- Softball- UVA Co-Rec Gold vs. Suffolk (Park 6)
8:00- Softball- UVA Co-Rec Orange vs. Washington and Lee (McIntire 1)
9:00- Softball- UVA Mens Gold vs. Washington and Lee (Park 1) (Rematch
of 2009 Semifinal game)
9:00- Softball- UVA Co-Rec Blue vs. George Mason (Park 6)
10:00- Softball- UVA Mens Blue vs. Roger Williams (Park 6)
10:00- Softball- UVA Mens Orange vs. Western New England College (Park 2)

Sat 4/10:
11:00- Softball- UVA Mens Gold vs. NYLS (Darden Towe 2)
11:00- Softball- UVA Mens Orange vs. Campbell (PVCC 2)
1:00-4:00- Softball Invitational Home Run Derby Round 1 (Park 6)
2:00- Softball- UVA Mens Blue vs. UPenn (Darden Towe 2)
3:00- Softball- UVA Co-Rec Orange vs. Ave Maria (STAB)
4:00- UVA Baseball vs. Georgia Tech (Davenport Stadium, both teams are
top 5 in the country, tickets are free for students, I believe $7 for
guests)
4:00- UVA Lacrosse vs. UNC (#1 vs #2 in the nation, game will be on
ESPNU, note this game is not being played at UVA)
4:00-7:00- Softball Invitational BBQ (The Park, $8)
4:00- Softball- UVA Mens Gold vs. Rutgers-Camden (PVCC 1)
5:00- Softball- UVA Co-Rec Blue vs. Georgetown (McIntire 2)
6:00- Softball- UVA Mens Blue vs. NYU (Park 6)
6:00- Softball- UVA Mens Orange vs. Syracuse (PVCC 2)
6:00- Softball- UVA Co-Rec Gold vs. Penn State (Park 1)
8:00-9:00- Softball Invitational Home Run Derby Finals (Park 6)
Late night- Softball Invitational Bar Night (Biltmore, Three, Boylan
Heights, Mellow Mushroom) (free entry or $12 for beer only open bar)

Sun 4/11:
12:00- UVA Baseball vs. Georgia Tech (Davenport Stadium, both teams
are top 5 in the country, tickets are free for students, I believe $7
for guests)
All day until 3:00- Softball Playoffs (All teams, locations TBD)
3:00-4:00- Mens Softball Championship Game (Park 6)
4:00-5:00- Co-rec Softball Championship Game (Park 6)

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:36 pm

My email says Bar Review is at South Street Brewery. Are they separating the admitted students?

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:09 pm

Cavalier wrote:

My email says Bar Review is at South Street Brewery. Are they separating the admitted students?

I was told South Street is canceled and it's moved to Boylan Heights.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:54 pm

For those of you interested in public service, UVA has updated its LRAP program and announced the details.

Program details here: http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/news/2010_spr/vlfp.htm

I started a TLS thread for discussion here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=113701

Since I'm into PI work, this is like the big news of the year to me. I'm so excited.

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:26 pm

vanwinkle wrote:For those of you interested in public service, UVA has updated its LRAP program and announced the details.

I started a TLS thread for discussion here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=113701

Since I'm into PI work, this is like the big news of the year to me. I'm so excited.

Not to be a party pooper but I don't think you qualify?

UVA wrote:The new program will be available to members of the Class of 2013 and later who enter qualifying employment within two years of graduation, or within two years of completing a judicial clerkship taken immediately after law school.

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:39 pm

^

--ImageRemoved--

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:50 pm

D Brooks wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:For those of you interested in public service, UVA has updated its LRAP program and announced the details.

Not to be a party pooper but I don't think you qualify?

UVA wrote:The new program will be available to members of the Class of 2013 and later who enter qualifying employment within two years of graduation, or within two years of completing a judicial clerkship taken immediately after law school.

Graduates enrolled or about to enroll in the current loan forgiveness program may wish to enter IBR and take advantage of the new program. The Law School will consider requests to do so on a case-by-case basis. Those who are interested in switching to the new program should contact Jennifer Hulvey.

I know class of 2012 isn't about to graduate and enroll in the current LRAP, but I'm guessing the door would still be open for them to get on board.

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:01 pm

Although the new LRAP seems like a pretty nice upgrade, I'm still annoyed that Trujillo expects me to pay sticker :evil:

slider

Postby slider » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:06 pm

D Brooks wrote:Although the new LRAP seems like a pretty nice upgrade, I'm still annoyed that Trujillo expects me to pay sticker :evil:

+200,000 :roll:

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:07 pm

D Brooks wrote:Although the new LRAP seems like a pretty nice upgrade, I'm still annoyed that Trujillo expects me to pay sticker :evil:

I think that probably half of the folks ITT are paying sticker.

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:08 pm

slider wrote:

+200,000 :roll:

I'm just glad to know I'm paying for someone's tuition as I'm sure they deserve it

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:55 pm

gladiator wrote:
Cavalier wrote:

I was told South Street is canceled and it's moved to Boylan Heights.

Yay!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”