UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby YCrevolution » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:54 pm

..

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:38 pm

JohnWild wrote:Any current students have any thoughts about the townhouses / condos on Arlington Blvd? I have a contact that owns a townhouse (one of the 3 bedroom, 1.5 bath ones) at the end of Arlington Blvd and one that owns that a few Arlington Court Condomeniums. I hear everyone talk about how great Ivy Gardens is and don't get me wrong it does look real nice, but the proximity Arlington Blvd has to the law school and mall is very appealing to me.


I live in an Arlington Court condo. It's hard to talk about because the different condo units are owned by different landlords, and a lot depends on how they have the place fixed up. The one I'm in for example still has old screw-in fuses from the 1950s instead of circuit breakers. :shock:

However, from what I've heard almost all the units have been sufficiently modernized, and I can say the floor plans are pretty roomy and the location is unbeatable. I'm a block from the law school, closer than anyone else, and the location alone makes living there worth it. You never have to deal with C-ville traffic if you need to run home quick for something.

ze2151
Posts: 358
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:51 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby ze2151 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:49 pm

C-Ville traffic... I keep seeing references to this. How bad could it really be? Our visit was on a Friday-Saturday and we didn't encounter much trouble.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby YCrevolution » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:04 pm

..

BarCliff
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:57 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby BarCliff » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:31 pm

Just got in, and completely shocked that my Georgia Tech GPA didn't hold me back!

Does anyone know any places near campus that allow pets (namely dogs)? I'd really like to take 'em along with me if possible

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby YCrevolution » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:39 pm

..

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:55 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
JohnWild wrote:Any current students have any thoughts about the townhouses / condos on Arlington Blvd? I have a contact that owns a townhouse (one of the 3 bedroom, 1.5 bath ones) at the end of Arlington Blvd and one that owns that a few Arlington Court Condomeniums. I hear everyone talk about how great Ivy Gardens is and don't get me wrong it does look real nice, but the proximity Arlington Blvd has to the law school and mall is very appealing to me.


I live in an Arlington Court condo. It's hard to talk about because the different condo units are owned by different landlords, and a lot depends on how they have the place fixed up. The one I'm in for example still has old screw-in fuses from the 1950s instead of circuit breakers. :shock:

However, from what I've heard almost all the units have been sufficiently modernized, and I can say the floor plans are pretty roomy and the location is unbeatable. I'm a block from the law school, closer than anyone else, and the location alone makes living there worth it. You never have to deal with C-ville traffic if you need to run home quick for something.

cr. I'll put up with a lot for the convenience of being able to wake up 20 minutes before class and make it to class showered and breakfasted.

SweetnessUVA
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:08 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby SweetnessUVA » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:44 am

Since I have about nine months to school, I think I'm going to gunner it up and start reading the E&E and hornbooks.

Has anyone talked with any students and found out any recommendations that are different from what TLS "How to Succeed in Law School" and "Law School Confidential" recommend?

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Cavalier » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:57 pm

SweetnessUVA wrote:Since I have about nine months to school, I think I'm going to gunner it up and start reading the E&E and hornbooks.

Has anyone talked with any students and found out any recommendations that are different from what TLS "How to Succeed in Law School" and "Law School Confidential" recommend?

The vast majority of people here will tell you reading ahead is a bad idea, and the vast majority of 0Ls think they know better. E&Es give you a good overview of the subject, but you'd be better off spending an hour reading the Wikipedia articles on your subjects and then doing something else. If you come to school knowing the three requirements for res ipsa loquitur, or what counts as minimum contacts, you're not going to be at an advantage - you're still not going to have a good idea how to apply them to sets of facts, the policy rationales behind the rules, and how the rules fit in with the overall goals of the subjects.

I would recommend reading Getting to Maybe so that you know what you're getting into (better to know what a law school exam involves before you start learning the law, IMO). As far as success in law school, I don't think there's a correct answer. You are mainly doing two things. One, you are learning the law and the goals behind the law, and two, you are learning how to apply it to sets of facts (i.e. take exams). There are many ways to do those things - I think the key is to find a method where you are understanding the material in your classes. If that means reading the casebook, picking out the rules from cases, and never touching a supplement, that's fine. If it means not having a clue what's going on in the cases discussed in class and relying on your professor's commercial supplement to learn the rules, that's fine too. As far as exams go, I think the key is practice, and to compare your answers with the model answers or, if none are available, with another student.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:05 pm

One thing I'll add regarding C-ville traffic... the basketball season just started, and games are played in an arena just a few blocks from the law school. Because there's far more people trying to get out of there when they leave than the tiny two-lane roads in and out of the university will support, people leave in every direction possible which includes going past the law school. This made getting in or out of the law school total hell for anyone who drove.

This is especially important since this is happening just as people are starting to prepare for finals. Being able to walk to and from the law school makes a huge difference.

lnz103
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:57 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby lnz103 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:18 pm

Yay Georgia Tech! I have no idea who you are but I'm completely excited that someone else from GT is going to Virginia :)


BarCliff wrote:Just got in, and completely shocked that my Georgia Tech GPA didn't hold me back!

Does anyone know any places near campus that allow pets (namely dogs)? I'd really like to take 'em along with me if possible

User avatar
Philo38
Posts: 344
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:21 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Philo38 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:44 pm

In! ED via phone call today. I'll see ya'll next fall!

User avatar
jawsthegreat
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby jawsthegreat » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:48 pm

Philo38 wrote:In! ED via phone call today. I'll see ya'll next fall!


When did you submit?

User avatar
Philo38
Posts: 344
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:21 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Philo38 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:50 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
Philo38 wrote:In! ED via phone call today. I'll see ya'll next fall!


When did you submit?


Well, 11/05 but one of my letters lingered. I wasn't complete until today.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:55 pm

..

User avatar
lawhoo
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:55 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby lawhoo » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:58 am

In via ED today. Complete at around noon, phone call around 5. Fantastic! 8)

User avatar
jawsthegreat
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby jawsthegreat » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:59 am

lawhoo wrote:In via ED today. Complete at around noon, phone call around 5. Fantastic! 8)


When did you submit? When did you go complete? What are your stats?

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:42 am

..

User avatar
Philo38
Posts: 344
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:21 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Philo38 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:11 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Philo38 wrote:In! ED via phone call today. I'll see ya'll next fall!

Congrats!


Thanks!

How long after the phone call did it take to recieve the acceptance packet? Do you think they mailed it the same day?

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:35 pm

..

User avatar
Philo38
Posts: 344
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:21 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Philo38 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:39 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Philo38 wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
Philo38 wrote:In! ED via phone call today. I'll see ya'll next fall!

Congrats!


Thanks!

How long after the phone call did it take to recieve the acceptance packet? Do you think they mailed it the same day?

Mine was mailed the same day, although I think sometimes they wait a day or two and send out a bunch of them at the same time.


Yeah I figured that. I bet I get it before Friday though, thanks.

User avatar
jawsthegreat
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby jawsthegreat » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:56 pm

So add me to the class, Just got the call. ED 3.5/173.

How long after acceptance did you get the email and the acceptance packet?

jnorsky
Posts: 201
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:26 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby jnorsky » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:59 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:So add me to the class, Just got the call. ED 3.5/173.

How long after acceptance did you get the email and the acceptance packet?


Knew you were getting in dude, good shit, congrats

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:00 pm

..

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:03 pm

YCrevolution wrote:I only got a letter last year :(


I'm starting to feel left out myself with all this "people getting packets this year" thing. I didn't get a packet either.

Why, back in my day they only sent us letters, and in order to get those letters in the middle of winter I had to walk half a mile to get to the mailbox, in a raging blinding snowstorm, uphill both ways!

Damn spoiled rotten kids.




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest