UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:08 am

Doritos wrote:The admissions staff said they consider you the same (check out the TLS interview..) but I just don't buy it. Scholarships are there to draw prospectives in and if you ED you're already in. They may shoot the most impressive ED'ers some cash so word doesn't get out that EDing will bar you from aid but if you want those dolla bills you should do RD. Also, I think a lot of EDers do ED because they are borderline candidates. My guess is most ED'ers are people who have a good chance of getting WLed if RD so they do ED to avoid the inevitable death that is UVa's WL. So I think both of those factors (borderline stats + no need to lure you away from other schools with $$$) equal the majority of ED'ers gettin 0 scholarship money.

I spoke to a recently admitted student last Friday during ASW who said he applied ED but was blown away when he still got a half-tuition scholarship offer. UVA really does give scholarships to ED applicants, and they do have incentive to do so; if they keep promoting the idea that folks who ED above median will get scholarships, then more folks above their median will ED. That helps make their admissions process easier.

However, that still requires a warning, which is that you shouldn't ED unless you're willing to attend without a scholarship since there's no guarantee you'll get one. I also think you're right that most EDers are folks who wouldn't stand to get money or an acceptance at all RD, so they don't have to give money to those people. But those people aren't holding out for scholarship money from UVA anyway.

User avatar
PopCopyManager
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:29 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby PopCopyManager » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:12 am

dailygrind wrote:
Doritos wrote:
thatsnotmyname wrote:i don't know if this is the right place to post this or not but i figured there must be a lot of people who applied ED to UVA on this thread who may be able to answer my question.

UVA is really my top choice and I would do ED (for class of 2014) if it weren't for the financial questions. Is it true that if you apply ED, the admissions office considers you for scholarship money just the same way as if you were applying regular decision? For people who did ED what has been your experience with scholarship money from UVA? Do you think if someone with a 171, ~3.85, and VA residency would get scholarship money if they did ED? Thanks for any help in advance!


The admissions staff said they consider you the same (check out the TLS interview..) but I just don't buy it. Scholarships are there to draw prospectives in and if you ED you're already in. They may shoot the most impressive ED'ers some cash so word doesn't get out that EDing will bar you from aid but if you want those dolla bills you should do RD. Also, I think a lot of EDers do ED because they are borderline candidates. My guess is most ED'ers are people who have a good chance of getting WLed if RD so they do ED to avoid the inevitable death that is UVa's WL. So I think both of those factors (borderline stats + no need to lure you away from other schools with $$$) equal the majority of ED'ers gettin 0 scholarship money.

If you have Virginia residency, a 3.85 and a 171 just apply the day they start accepting applicants and marvel at the scholarship dollars they will be sending your way. Those are CCN numbers my friend so they will have to lure you.


1 at median 1 above as a Virginia in state? I'd be very curious to see the RD application that didn't get in with cash. If the same application went ED, I'm almost inclined to say they'd throw some cash in anyway, cuz not doing so would be such an egregious breach of the "we consider ED applicants same as RD for merit schollies" policy.


+1. Apply early, and you will get in. I would most certainly not ED as a VA resident with those numbers. I got in a week after I submitted my application with almost identical numbers.

User avatar
Sauer Grapes
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Sauer Grapes » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:02 am

I got in RD with worse numbed as a VA resident. Don't ED.

MikeParadise
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:49 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby MikeParadise » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:30 am

I got accepted ED in early February with splitter numbers, and I didn't receive any information about scholarships/merit aid. My status checker has no mention of any scholarship mailing. Does this mean that i am SOL or are offers still coming in?

thanks

User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1924
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Stringer Bell » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:04 am

MikeParadise wrote:I got accepted ED in early February with splitter numbers, and I didn't receive any information about scholarships/merit aid. My status checker has no mention of any scholarship mailing. Does this mean that i am SOL or are offers still coming in?

thanks


Have you filled out the necessary financial aid information? You should have gotten an email with scholarship info or your scary loan total broken out by loan type (stafford, stafford unsubsidized, grad plus). If you have filled this out and not received that email, I would give them a shout. They sent these last Friday, although there may be the possibility they were only sending them to folks who were attending ASW that weeked.

User avatar
hannah87
Posts: 865
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:37 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby hannah87 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:05 am

Stringer Bell wrote:
MikeParadise wrote:I got accepted ED in early February with splitter numbers, and I didn't receive any information about scholarships/merit aid. My status checker has no mention of any scholarship mailing. Does this mean that i am SOL or are offers still coming in?

thanks


Have you filled out the necessary financial aid information? You should have gotten an email with scholarship info or your scary loan total broken out by loan type (stafford, stafford unsubsidized, grad plus). If you have filled this out and not received that email, I would give them a shout. They sent these last Friday, although there may be the possibility they were only sending them to folks who were attending ASW that weeked.


nope, i got that loan breakdown email on friday and didn't go to last weekend's ASW.

MikeParadise
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:49 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby MikeParadise » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:24 am

Stringer Bell wrote:
MikeParadise wrote:I got accepted ED in early February with splitter numbers, and I didn't receive any information about scholarships/merit aid. My status checker has no mention of any scholarship mailing. Does this mean that i am SOL or are offers still coming in?

thanks


Have you filled out the necessary financial aid information? You should have gotten an email with scholarship info or your scary loan total broken out by loan type (stafford, stafford unsubsidized, grad plus). If you have filled this out and not received that email, I would give them a shout. They sent these last Friday, although there may be the possibility they were only sending them to folks who were attending ASW that weeked.


No, I didn't fill those out yet. I guess i am going to do that asap. Thanks for the info.

BustedBroke
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:44 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby BustedBroke » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:56 am

VanWinkle knows SO MUCH about the admission process, and met ANOTHER ED applicant that got a scholarship. Smells like doodoo to me. Amazing that he met probably the ONE ED applicant that got a scholarship and he has been SO protective of this notion in the past. I talked to quite a few high number ED people who got zero money, did you talk to any of those VanWinkle?

Also, from "things that have been said" to him he can tell you exactly why you should ED, the chances of getting in off the WL this year and so on.

What, do you work in the admissions office?

User avatar
badwithpseudonyms
Posts: 815
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:00 am

BustedBroke wrote:VanWinkle knows SO MUCH about the admission process, and met ANOTHER ED applicant that got a scholarship. Smells like doodoo to me. Amazing that he met probably the ONE ED applicant that got a scholarship and he has been SO protective of this notion in the past. I talked to quite a few high number ED people who got zero money, did you talk to any of those VanWinkle?

Also, from "things that have been said" to him he can tell you exactly why you should ED, the chances of getting in off the WL this year and so on.

What, do you work in the admissions office?


1 post? What do you know about the past? Alt much? :wink:

Edit: VanWinkle is Cordel Faulk! :D

Edit x2: I still voted in your poll, even though you kinda slammed VW.

BustedBroke
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:44 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby BustedBroke » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:18 am

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
BustedBroke wrote:VanWinkle knows SO MUCH about the admission process, and met ANOTHER ED applicant that got a scholarship. Smells like doodoo to me. Amazing that he met probably the ONE ED applicant that got a scholarship and he has been SO protective of this notion in the past. I talked to quite a few high number ED people who got zero money, did you talk to any of those VanWinkle?

Also, from "things that have been said" to him he can tell you exactly why you should ED, the chances of getting in off the WL this year and so on.

What, do you work in the admissions office?


1 post? What do you know about the past? Alt much? :wink:

Edit: VanWinkle is Cordel Faulk! :D

Edit x2: I still voted in your poll, even though you kinda slammed VW.


Not really trying to slam, just wondering what is in it for him to talk about the rare folks who do get money ED, and not those who don't. Right now in the poll it seems people with one or more numbers above 75th get nothing, while if you have one number above a median you might? (Bad, I think one of your numbers was actually above 75th?) That is interesting. It would be nice if people posted their numbers if they got it. Maybe in the future people with certain numbers would have a better idea.

User avatar
badwithpseudonyms
Posts: 815
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:33 am

BustedBroke wrote:Not really trying to slam, just wondering what is in it for him to talk about the rare folks who do get money ED, and not those who don't. Right now in the poll it seems people with one or more numbers above 75th get nothing, while if you have one number above a median you might? (Bad, I think one of your numbers was actually above 75th?) That is interesting. It would be nice if people posted their numbers if they got it. Maybe in the future people with certain numbers would have a better idea.


That might be pretty useful if you get a lot of people to respond. And yes, I'm a reverse splitter, at least as far as UVA's 25/75 are concerned.

On a somewhat related note, does anyone know if UVA is going to become a Direct Lender for Grad PLUS Loans? I think I heard a rumor they were, and that .6% savings on the interest rate would be a clutch move on their part.

User avatar
Doritos
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Doritos » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:46 am

BustedBroke wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:
BustedBroke wrote:VanWinkle knows SO MUCH about the admission process, and met ANOTHER ED applicant that got a scholarship. Smells like doodoo to me. Amazing that he met probably the ONE ED applicant that got a scholarship and he has been SO protective of this notion in the past. I talked to quite a few high number ED people who got zero money, did you talk to any of those VanWinkle?

Also, from "things that have been said" to him he can tell you exactly why you should ED, the chances of getting in off the WL this year and so on.

What, do you work in the admissions office?


1 post? What do you know about the past? Alt much? :wink:

Edit: VanWinkle is Cordel Faulk! :D

Edit x2: I still voted in your poll, even though you kinda slammed VW.


Not really trying to slam, just wondering what is in it for him to talk about the rare folks who do get money ED, and not those who don't. Right now in the poll it seems people with one or more numbers above 75th get nothing, while if you have one number above a median you might? (Bad, I think one of your numbers was actually above 75th?) That is interesting. It would be nice if people posted their numbers if they got it. Maybe in the future people with certain numbers would have a better idea.



First off, VanWinkle is a godsend to UVa prospectives and recent admits so slamming of any kind directed toward him is not cool. He quoted my post in which I painted a very grim picture as far as getting $$$ after EDing. Perhaps he was putting forth the counterpoint that some people do in fact get ED $$$. No where in his post does he say A LOT or MOST or even a SUBSTANTIAL amount do get ED $$$. To say no one gets ED money is untrue and to say a substantial amount get ED money is untrue. No where do I see vanwinkle trying to make either point.

If you ED you should be prepared to attend at full price. period. Any scholarship money is an unexpected gift because you have a binding contract saying you are going to attend the school. Why give you money? If you wanted money you should have applied RD and waited and sweated like the RD kids.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:13 pm

Doritos wrote:First off, VanWinkle is a godsend to UVa prospectives and recent admits so slamming of any kind directed toward him is not cool. He quoted my post in which I painted a very grim picture as far as getting $$$ after EDing. Perhaps he was putting forth the counterpoint that some people do in fact get ED $$$. No where in his post does he say A LOT or MOST or even a SUBSTANTIAL amount do get ED $$$. To say no one gets ED money is untrue and to say a substantial amount get ED money is untrue. No where do I see vanwinkle trying to make either point.

If you ED you should be prepared to attend at full price. period. Any scholarship money is an unexpected gift because you have a binding contract saying you are going to attend the school. Why give you money? If you wanted money you should have applied RD and waited and sweated like the RD kids.

I appreciate you backing me up like that, and I think your analysis is correct. I'm just trying to defend against the continued assertions on here that ED $$$ is some kind of myth or a precedent that's easily dumped in order to throw more money at RD's. It's in UVA's best interest to keep giving money to EDs to encourage folks to ED. This is generally my point, and that's all my point is. You're correct that folks who ED should be prepared to attend at full price, as there's no guarantee of $$$. Not all who ED, and not even all who ED with good numbers/softs, get $ of any kind. I was just counterbalancing against the "grim picture".

Also, no, I don't work for the admissions office, since someone asked. :lol: I'm just a 1L who took a lot of interest in how admissions worked last year and educated myself about it as much as possible. I'm eager to share what I know, and I really hope I've been helpful to people with what I have shared.

I do like the folks in the admissions office, though, as they're good people and they continue to take an interest in how I'm doing as a 1L (and they're like that toward everyone here as far as I can tell, too). Some of the info I get out of them, I got from conversations that began with them asking me how I'm doing in my classes. They're good people, they really care about getting admissions right and seeing that the people they do admit are happy here, and I feel like that's a reason I should defend them when I see bad opinions about how they operate.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:19 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:On a somewhat related note, does anyone know if UVA is going to become a Direct Lender for Grad PLUS Loans? I think I heard a rumor they were, and that .6% savings on the interest rate would be a clutch move on their part.

This is the rumor going around the law school right now. I just talked to YCrev about it a few days ago and he had more info about it than I do. I don't know for sure, but everything we've been hearing indicates they are.

This entire discussion may be moot, though. The health care bill in the news this week includes legislation that ends government-backed private loans and moves to a system of only doing direct lending. If the legislation goes into effect in its current form, starting this summer every government loan offered should be a direct lender loan at any school. This is in the current modification bill that's being debated in the Senate today, not the original bill that already passed, so it could still be killed by Republicans trying to stop health care reform from happening. However, it's looking very likely that modification bill will pass soon, and universal direct lending will pass with it.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby YCrevolution » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:20 pm

..

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby YCrevolution » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:23 pm

..

User avatar
dgouzoul
Posts: 244
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby dgouzoul » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:38 pm

YCrev, you know someone in the know? you must work for admissions. ladies and gentlemen i present to you - jason dugas

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby YCrevolution » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:38 pm

..

washingtonian
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:08 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby washingtonian » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:40 pm

i was at the last ASD and i thought in the financial aid session the director mentioned they are going to become a direct lender regardless of what happens with the legislation.... i took some notes during that session but they are at home... i can check.

User avatar
dgouzoul
Posts: 244
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby dgouzoul » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:42 pm

washingtonian wrote:i was at the last ASD and i thought in the financial aid session the director mentioned they are going to become a direct lender regardless of what happens with the legislation.... i took some notes during that session but they are at home... i can check.


TITtyCR, i didnt take notes but my memory never fails

User avatar
badwithpseudonyms
Posts: 815
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:08 pm

YCrevolution wrote:The number of alts you have is quite impressive.

Unfortunately, they're banned now.

:lol:

YCrevolution wrote:My knowledge of talking with someone [in the know] is that UVA is gearing up to be a direct lender starting the '10-'11 year (and, apparently, years ago, UVA was a direct lender, too). As vanwinkle said, given the recent student loan reform effort, it'll likely become the law.


Thanks, [strike]Cordel[/strike] VW and [strike]Jason[/strike] YC. I wish there was a smiley that slowly touched its nose with its index finger, so I could insert it here.

I wasn't sure if the federal student loan program changes in the health care bill would take effect next year or not. None of it really matters anyway, as I'll be taking out Grad PLUS loans regardless of the interest rate. But still, good to know.

washingtonian
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:08 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby washingtonian » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:20 pm

i know this isn't really the best forum for this, but i am really torn between UVA and Mich. did anyone on here decide to go to UVA over Mich, and want to enlighten me about your decision? :)

bowie8285
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:38 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby bowie8285 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:22 pm

.
Last edited by bowie8285 on Mon May 10, 2010 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FeuerFrei
Posts: 196
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:32 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby FeuerFrei » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:40 pm

.
Last edited by FeuerFrei on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
lilspainishflea
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:13 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby lilspainishflea » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:38 pm

washingtonian wrote:i was at the last ASD and i thought in the financial aid session the director mentioned they are going to become a direct lender regardless of what happens with the legislation.... i took some notes during that session but they are at home... i can check.


Correct. Jennifer Hulvey said that UVA anticipated these structural changes and planned to become a direct lender independent of the legislation.




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest