UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
whattodo2008

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby whattodo2008 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:20 pm

whattodo2008 wrote:I'm #12 on the Jeffersonian and her and i have been emailing each other back and forth as of yesterday. I'm looking for a one bedroom and there are some openings. I really wanted to go for the third floor but the only ones she has up there right now are one that starts mid-June and the other August 15th. I find the first one a little too early and the Aug 15th one too late. I mean, orientation is on the 15th/16th and school starts on the 17th, and I'm trying to be a little settled in! I'll keep you posted.

Actually, to add on to that, to people that currently or have lived at the Jeffersonian previously: How is the noise? Seeing that it is more of a law school/Darden joint, I'd figure that people overall are pretty quiet. How about noise from stairs and doors, especially for people that live on the first/second floors?

avacado111

Postby avacado111 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:22 pm

whattodo2008 wrote:I'm #12 on the Jeffersonian and her and i have been emailing each other back and forth as of yesterday. I'm looking for a one bedroom and there are some openings. I really wanted to go for the third floor but the only ones she has up there right now are one that starts mid-June and the other August 15th. I find the first one a little too early and the Aug 15th one too late. I mean, orientation is on the 15th/16th and school starts on the 17th, and I'm trying to be a little settled in! I'll keep you posted.

1 bedroom with dens are apparently gone.

dgouzoul

Postby dgouzoul » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:44 pm

Absolutely blew me away. You could tell he is (was) an incredible lawyer and he made it seem as if he would feel like a complete and utter failure if he didn't find you a job that was a good fit for you. He also talked about his experience on hiring committees and really convinced me that if I was a law student (or grad) looking for a job I would be hard pressed to find some better hands to be in.

I think you're referring to Donovan, the career services guy...i agree he was incredible

Geis was awesome, I went to the law and business thing and some students said he's one of the best professors there.

avacado111

Postby avacado111 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:05 pm

dgouzoul wrote:
Absolutely blew me away. You could tell he is (was) an incredible lawyer and he made it seem as if he would feel like a complete and utter failure if he didn't find you a job that was a good fit for you. He also talked about his experience on hiring committees and really convinced me that if I was a law student (or grad) looking for a job I would be hard pressed to find some better hands to be in.

I think you're referring to Donovan, the career services guy...i agree he was incredible

Geis was awesome, I went to the law and business thing and some students said he's one of the best professors there.

Edit-grammer was sucky

Geis was not that awesome. He let out the section I was in 20 mins early. Who does that? Espc for the people who want to learn more about corporate law? He could of at least filled that time talking more deeply about classes, employment, etc.
Last edited by avacado111 on Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wackjickham

Postby wackjickham » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:11 pm

dgouzoul wrote:

You're right, I was confused. Too many names and too many information sessions. Geis was great too, I got the feeling that UVA's faculty and staff are relatively young and passionate, which adds a lot of energy to the school's atmosphere.

lilspainishflea

Postby lilspainishflea » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:42 pm

Geis was not that awesome. He let out the section I was in 20 mins early. Who does that? Espc for the people who want to learn more about corporate law? He could of at least filled that time talking more deeply about classes, employment, etc.[/quote]

I disagree. I thought Geis was one of the two best presenters along with Kevin Donovan. My student host also mentioned that both of them were very well thought of by the students.

Also, how am I winning the NCAA Bracket? I take it that everyone had Kansas, Wisconsin, Pitt, Nova, and Georgetown going deep?

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:58 pm

Geis and Donovan are both awesome.

Well, Geis is only 99% awesome. His Contacts exams are fact-jumbled nightmares.

billyez

Postby billyez » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:17 pm

No ones mentioned Rachel Harmon and the attedance seemed somewhat sparse for the first curricular session, but I got a good vibe from her. She did the Criminal Law session. I would definetly enjoy having a class taught by her.

bluejayk

Postby bluejayk » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:51 pm

billyez wrote:No ones mentioned Rachel Harmon and the attedance seemed somewhat sparse for the first curricular session, but I got a good vibe from her. She did the Criminal Law session. I would definetly enjoy having a class taught by her.

Yeah, I was at the second criminal law session, she seemed really good.

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:37 am

lilspainishflea wrote:Also, how am I winning the NCAA Bracket? I take it that everyone had Kansas, Wisconsin, Pitt, Nova, and Georgetown going deep?

Yeah we had Kansas going deep dude, they're Kansas. In total sadness, North Korea has nothing on Lawrence, Kansas today. Second round exit, no way to see that coming. I had Pitt going out in the next round and GTown going deeper. Nova was always overseeded and everyone knew it. Oh my Pitt Panthers, can't ever lose the easy way.

FeuerFrei

Postby FeuerFrei » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:18 am

Last edited by FeuerFrei on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thepunisher24

Postby thepunisher24 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:35 am

FeuerFrei wrote:Wooot just secured my Jeffersonian, 1 bedroom (no den) on the first floor. #17 on list.

How many 1 BRs (unfurnished) were left?

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:37 am

joeshmo39 wrote:
lilspainishflea wrote:Also, how am I winning the NCAA Bracket? I take it that everyone had Kansas, Wisconsin, Pitt, Nova, and Georgetown going deep?

Yeah we had Kansas going deep dude, they're Kansas. In total sadness, North Korea has nothing on Lawrence, Kansas today. Second round exit, no way to see that coming. I had Pitt going out in the next round and GTown going deeper. Nova was always overseeded and everyone knew it. Oh my Pitt Panthers, can't ever lose the easy way.

My brother and I are both Pitt fans, and we've been Pitt fans long enough to both call them losing to Xavier.

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:49 am

thepunisher24 wrote:
FeuerFrei wrote:Wooot just secured my Jeffersonian, 1 bedroom (no den) on the first floor. #17 on list.

How many 1 BRs (unfurnished) were left?

For that matter, how many 2BRs were left?

FeuerFrei

Postby FeuerFrei » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:51 am

Last edited by FeuerFrei on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

agentzer0

Postby agentzer0 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:29 am

did anyone go to the lunch time session on careers in academia? i missed it but it's my biggest question about uva; what exactly are your chances of getting into academia down the road?

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:57 am

agentzer0 wrote:did anyone go to the lunch time session on careers in academia? i missed it but it's my biggest question about uva; what exactly are your chances of getting into academia down the road?

I attended the legal academia section. He seemed to be pretty positive about it, but mostly talked about legal academia in general. He did mention that the recent trends favor UVA but obviously the reality is the reality, and Yale/Harvard dominate the market. You can pretty much figure out your chances on your own by looking at the available data. They are low.

That said, it does happen out of UVA, and it will continue to happen. UVA is a harder road to legal academia than Yale/Harvard, but it does seem that it would be harder to make the case that Penn, Chicago, Michigan, Cornell, etc. etc. offer a clear advantage over UVA in this regard.

Basically what he touched on was that the environment of legal academia is changing, that the traditional path (great grades, clerk, SCOTUS clerk) is becoming less a part of the picture, and that 1) published material and 2) graduate studies either in law or a cognate discipline (PhD, LLM) are becoming more important.

His basic advice was to write as much as you can but publish very little, maybe just a note and that is all (if anything). You want to have a bunch of material ready to publish, and to market yourself with, but you don't want to risk publishing sloppy work early in your career.

For what it is worth, the professor they had doing the discussion attended UVA. Not an accident I'm sure.

virginny

Postby virginny » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:57 am

Anyone looking for an apartment for next year? I need a roommate. I'm a male, soon to be 2L, looking for male or female roommate.

All I ask of my roommate is to be moderately neat, friendly, and respectful. We'd split the rent and the utilities.

I have a great place at Ivy Garden:

- new unit, new appliances
- 2 BR/2 BA...you get your own full bathroom
- brick fireplace (haven't actually used it, but lots of people do)
- patio
- free parking
- very close to laundry room and pool/clubhouse
- right next to Leonard Sandridge Road (you are as close to the law school as possible at Ivy)
- 5 minute walk to school (I bike sometimes - takes literally 1 minute)
- 2 minute walk to North Grounds Rec Center
- 10 minute to John Paul Jones Arena (concerts)

Despite any bad things you've heard about Ivy, I LOVE IT. You can't beat the convenience and my apartment (not all Ivy apts) is really nice. It's nice and quiet too, but you have easy access to all the parties that go on throughout the rest of the complex.

If interested, shoot me a email at swpetrilli68@yahoo.com or PM me

EDIT: pics of apt or complex available upon request

slider

Postby slider » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:16 pm

Philo38 wrote:
Okay, I'm starting to get kind of worried that nobody is mentioning the Day's Inn.

Caution: April ASW Attendees stay away from the Day's Inn.

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:30 pm

slider wrote:
Philo38 wrote:
Okay, I'm starting to get kind of worried that nobody is mentioning the Day's Inn.

I'm surprised you say this, because my girfriend and I had a good experience at the Day's Inn actually. What happened?

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:43 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:

My brother and I are both Pitt fans, and we've been Pitt fans long enough to both call them losing to Xavier.

I figured the game as about a pick'em going in. When Crawford got hot it was clear our chances wilted. I'm glad I found someone to watch some games with next year though. I think we're heading for good things.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:50 pm

boo jersey shore wrote:
billyez wrote:No ones mentioned Rachel Harmon and the attedance seemed somewhat sparse for the first curricular session, but I got a good vibe from her. She did the Criminal Law session. I would definetly enjoy having a class taught by her.

She was personable, energetic and knowledgeable. I was glad I attended her session.

Agreed. I thought she did a good job.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:53 pm

Did anyone stick around Saturday for the traffic log jam the Taylor Swift concert caused? I think half the people in my hotel were in town for that.

slider

Postby slider » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:12 pm

Philo38 wrote:
slider wrote:
Philo38 wrote:

I'm surprised you say this, because my girfriend and I had a good experience at the Day's Inn actually. What happened?

Disclaimer: My experience may have been unusual. But...

They deleted my reservation by mistake, overbooked the hotel and stuck me in a smoking room when I am a non-smoker. (I think I walked out of that room with allergies!) The sink was stained. I was scared to walk on the floor barefoot and I found a HUGE bug in the room. It was scary!!!

I'd rather pay 3X the rate than have to relive that experience. /venting session

:mrgreen:

Apple Tree

Postby Apple Tree » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:33 pm

slider wrote:
Philo38 wrote:
slider wrote:
Philo38 wrote:

Disclaimer: My experience may have been unusual. But...

They deleted my reservation by mistake, overbooked the hotel and stuck me in a smoking room when I am a non-smoker. (I think I walked out of that room with allergies!) The sink was stained. I was scared to walk on the floor barefoot and I found a HUGE bug in the room. It was scary!!!

I'd rather pay 3X the rate than have to relive that experience. /venting session

:mrgreen:

Ewww...

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”