UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
michstudent10

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby michstudent10 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:10 pm

Bad news guys... I emailed the financial aid office asking whether there was still a possibility for merit-based grants or scholarships if they weren't mentioned in the email and received a response which included the following:

Your file was considered for both merit and need-based scholarship opportunities. The aid package communicated to you today, via email, is your comprehensive financial aid package resulting from the overall financial aid review process. You are more than welcome to appeal your award for reconsideration of scholarship aid. Scholarship reconsideration requests should be directed to Jason Trujillo, Dean of Admissions, at jwt2t@virginia.edu.

Chromakey

Postby Chromakey » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:23 pm

FeuerFrei wrote:If I was awarded the full 67,700 in loans and no scholarship letter status update, am I SOL for a scholarship :(

Ugh...got the same email. I knew any scolly money was a long shot, but now that that number is "real", it sure is frightening. I still don't regret ED'ing though. The response to questions and overall support I have gotten from people at the school has been amazing and makes me think I made the right choice :D

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:30 pm

Chromakey wrote:
FeuerFrei wrote:If I was awarded the full 67,700 in loans and no scholarship letter status update, am I SOL for a scholarship :(

Ugh...got the same email. I knew any scolly money was a long shot, but now that that number is "real", it sure is frightening. I still don't regret ED'ing though. The response to questions and overall support I have gotten from people at the school has been amazing and makes me think I made the right choice :D

Same for me. As an ED splitter, I would have been surprised with a different outcome even though my fingers were crossed.

billyez

Postby billyez » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:39 pm

I had a great time. The folks at UVA are awesome. As certain as ever that I made the right choice.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:16 pm

[strike]How does one go about getting that loan for a laptop?[/strike]
Last edited by Doritos on Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:34 pm

billyez wrote:
FeuerFrei wrote:How is the Jeffersonian list doing? Last mention was #3?

Got an e-mail today saying that they had run out of two bed room furnished places. I was number 71 though and had settled on the Grad. Centre anyway. That's all the info I have on it.

I'm a bunch earlier than that and I haven't gotten an email to that effect. Slight wtf moment here.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:40 pm

dailygrind wrote:
billyez wrote:

Got an e-mail today saying that they had run out of two bed room furnished places. I was number 71 though and had settled on the Grad. Centre anyway. That's all the info I have on it.

I'm a bunch earlier than that and I haven't gotten an email to that effect. Slight wtf moment here.

I emailed the apartment manager and she said that at #32 on the list I have a very good chance of getting a 2 bedroom...

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:45 pm

Maybe she's just trimming the back end down. I'm #27, and I'll be talking to her tomorrow while I check the place out. I'll be back with updates.

Muckduck

Postby Muckduck » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:42 am

Did they refer to your loans as an award? I'm pretty sure I could take out a loan with or without their permission. In all seriousness, is it considered an award to take out the low interest federal loans? The email kinda confused me. It was sort of a slap in the face. Would have preferred "Thank you for you application, but you did not qualify for merit or need based aid. You can feel free to take out a loan through the University." Instead of "Congrats on qualifying for aid! Here is your award: nothing you couldn't have gotten before reading this email!" Haha.

I totally agree about the ASW. The faculty and student body were amazing. Those people genuinely love the atmosphere and culture of the Law School. And it sounds like the overall experience is second to none. UVA will be a wonderful place to live and learn. I can't wait for the fall.

Oh, and Coughlin's mock lecture was really enjoyable, stimulating, and encouraging. It was def. one of the highlights.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:46 am

Muckduck wrote:Did they refer to your loans as an award? I'm pretty sure I could take out a loan with or without their permission. In all seriousness, is it considered an award to take out the low interest federal loans?

They're not really low interest, but it's still an "award" to receive them. There are benefits to having federal (as opposed to private) loans; programs like IBR apply only to federal loans and do not apply to private loans, for example. You have to qualify for them and be assigned them by your university, and you can only take out an amount up to what they award you.

Of course, there are also downsides (it's nearly impossible to discharge federal student loan debt in bankruptcy).

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:41 am

Muckduck wrote:Did they refer to your loans as an award? I'm pretty sure I could take out a loan with or without their permission. In all seriousness, is it considered an award to take out the low interest federal loans? The email kinda confused me. It was sort of a slap in the face. Would have preferred "Thank you for you application, but you did not qualify for merit or need based aid. You can feel free to take out a loan through the University." Instead of "Congrats on qualifying for aid! Here is your award: nothing you couldn't have gotten before reading this email!" Haha.

I totally agree about the ASW. The faculty and student body were amazing. Those people genuinely love the atmosphere and culture of the Law School. And it sounds like the overall experience is second to none. UVA will be a wonderful place to live and learn. I can't wait for the fall.

Oh, and Coughlin's mock lecture was really enjoyable, stimulating, and encouraging. It was def. one of the highlights.

Yeah, Coughlin blew me away. She had total control over the group, it was fun to watch.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:26 am

vanwinkle wrote:
Muckduck wrote:Did they refer to your loans as an award? I'm pretty sure I could take out a loan with or without their permission. In all seriousness, is it considered an award to take out the low interest federal loans?

They're not really low interest, but it's still an "award" to receive them. There are benefits to having federal (as opposed to private) loans; programs like IBR apply only to federal loans and do not apply to private loans, for example. You have to qualify for them and be assigned them by your university, and you can only take out an amount up to what they award you.

Of course, there are also downsides (it's nearly impossible to discharge federal student loan debt in bankruptcy).

I have such a hard time understanding why the interest rate is so high. The prime is really low, the loans are nearly impossible to discharge so risk is low, and UVA is a pretty deece law school on top of that, making risk even lower. I was kind of hoping that the gov would cut us a better deal.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:16 am

Comparing the bill you guys just received in the email box and the costs of attendance last year (http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/prospe ... uition.htm)...is it just me or did COA go up by almost 5k? Is that typical?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:37 am

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:33 am

dailygrind wrote:
billyez wrote:

I'm #49, requested a 1 br with den but said I was fine with a 1 br or 2 br. She said a few months ago that I should be fine, that she got into the 70's last year, but I know someone who is #13 who has yet to get a place.

Hopefully there will be more movement next month, when a lot of people who got on the list end up deciding not to attend UVA.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:38 pm

democrattotheend wrote:
dailygrind wrote:
billyez wrote:

I'm #49, requested a 1 br with den but said I was fine with a 1 br or 2 br. She said a few months ago that I should be fine, that she got into the 70's last year, but I know someone who is #13 who has yet to get a place.

Hopefully there will be more movement next month, when a lot of people who got on the list end up deciding not to attend UVA.

It's still hella early. Apartment movement can continue through like July. In fact, a few spots almost always move in July as people decide to defer at the last minute.

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:41 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
democrattotheend wrote:
dailygrind wrote:

It's still hella early. Apartment movement can continue through like July. In fact, a few spots almost always move in July as people decide to defer at the last minute.

Argh, by July I will have had to put down a deposit on another place, like Graduate Centre.

I am kicking myself...I knew to apply early for Jeffersonian but I didn't realize the list would be so full by January 5...I had just gotten in December 31st and didn't realize you could apply without putting money down, since I wasn't sure if I was going to UVA (and still am not).

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:56 pm

berkeleykel06 wrote:
lilspainishflea wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:I'm a senior who is desperately avoiding doing school work. As such, you should all participate in this bracket group I made.

UVA TLS 2013
http://games.espn.go.com/tcmen/en/group?groupID=81209
password rhymes with "yahoo"

The tournament is only 3 weeks, but bragging rights are 3 years.

I joined.

Joined as well. I only follow the Big East though so I expect to fail miserably.

Well, Kansas is gone. We should all stick to learning the law because none of us have a future in sports betting. :oops:

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:43 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
berkeleykel06 wrote:
lilspainishflea wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:I'm a senior who is desperately avoiding doing school work. As such, you should all participate in this bracket group I made.

UVA TLS 2013
http://games.espn.go.com/tcmen/en/group?groupID=81209
password rhymes with "yahoo"

The tournament is only 3 weeks, but bragging rights are 3 years.

I joined.

Joined as well. I only follow the Big East though so I expect to fail miserably.

Well, Kansas is gone. We should all stick to learning the law because none of us have a future in sports betting. :oops:

I saw this pool posted after the tourney had already started, so I didn't get in. I'm looking good (as of now) in my office pool. F4 are Ohio State, Cuse, Kentucky Judd's, Baylor. Kentucky over Cuse in the final.

billyez

Postby billyez » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:33 pm

For those who went to the ASW, how was George Geis if you went to the Business curricular session? Everyone was signing his praises and said it was great but I went to the Clinical session instead.

democrattotheend wrote:
dailygrind wrote:
billyez wrote:

I really should have been more clear - I apologize for that. Her point was while she had not yet reached my rental number she "would not have a two bedroom furnished to offer this fall." Had I changed my request to an unfurnished place it seemed I might have had a fighting chance. Those people who applied earlier to the list should not be concerned - I knew my chances were low anyway.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:10 pm

I popped into the Jeffersonian earlier today, was told there were about 10 1-bdroom and 7 2-bdroom left, none of the 2 bdroom are furnished. Dunno what number she's on, but I used to be number 27 and now I'm number 17.

pilotgal

Postby pilotgal » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:30 am

dailygrind wrote:I popped into the Jeffersonian earlier today, was told there were about 10 1-bdroom and 7 2-bdroom left, none of the 2 bdroom are furnished. Dunno what number she's on, but I used to be number 27 and now I'm number 17.

I'm #9 and she emailed me today. I'm thinking about turning it down though because I feel like she's giving me the runaround about it. Earlier this week I talked to her and she said she would have 5-6 2-bedroom to offer me on the first floor but one person would have pick in front of me. (She also said she had 12 2-bedrooms total, so that doesn't jive with the numbers you were told today either.) Today she emailed me and said there is only one. That doesn't make sense to me. Then she said asked me a bunch of stuff about if my dogs get along with other dogs because there is already another dog on that hallway, etc. It's just making me get a bad feeling about it. I feel like she's looking for a reason not to rent to me and it makes me worried about what kind of service I might get as a resident. She said she'd call me tomorrow, so I guess we'll see how it goes. Either way, in a few days, she'll be in the double digits of the waitlist!

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:37 am

Stringer Bell wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:Well, Kansas is gone. We should all stick to learning the law because none of us have a future in sports betting. :oops:

I saw this pool posted after the tourney had already started, so I didn't get in. I'm looking good (as of now) in my office pool. F4 are Ohio State, Cuse, Kentucky Judd's, Baylor. Kentucky over Cuse in the final.

Glad I'm not the only one picking Baylor to the F4. Looks like I should have stuck with my pics from my other pool in the TLS one. Oh well, I was hindered this year by law school neurosis and my Big East fanboyness.

whattodo2008

Postby whattodo2008 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:48 pm

I'm #12 on the Jeffersonian and her and i have been emailing each other back and forth as of yesterday. I'm looking for a one bedroom and there are some openings. I really wanted to go for the third floor but the only ones she has up there right now are one that starts mid-June and the other August 15th. I find the first one a little too early and the Aug 15th one too late. I mean, orientation is on the 15th/16th and school starts on the 17th, and I'm trying to be a little settled in! I'll keep you posted.

wackjickham

Postby wackjickham » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:57 pm

billyez wrote:For those who went to the ASW, how was George Geis if you went to the Business curricular session? Everyone was signing his praises and said it was great but I went to the Clinical session instead.

Absolutely blew me away. You could tell he is (was) an incredible lawyer and he made it seem as if he would feel like a complete and utter failure if he didn't find you a job that was a good fit for you. He also talked about his experience on hiring committees and really convinced me that if I was a law student (or grad) looking for a job I would be hard pressed to find some better hands to be in.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”