UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Philo38

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Philo38 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:31 pm

thepunisher24 wrote:
Muckduck wrote:
Philo38 wrote:
A case of Milwaukee's best and a coupon for 10% off all hats at the UVA bookstore! Shout it at them with an upward inflection and start counting down from 10. When you get to 0 tell them they've got a deal and stick your hand out.

Works everytime.

Great Show. I am sad that it is going to be over soon. Lost too. Rough year for me, but maybe it's a good thing that I won't have any of my favorite shows to distract me in Law School...

Over soon? Really?

(We are talking about The Office, right?)

The Office, yeah. I honestly didn't know it was ending though . . . ouch.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:34 pm

Philo38 wrote:
Amelie wrote:Does anyone have an idea of when the rumored improved LRAP will come out? Hopefully before the deposit deadline...

I'm curious about this as well. I guess it doesn't matter since Obama is going to come through with that awesome loan forgiveness stuff he talked about in the State of the Union right? Yep, blindly putting all my eggs in that basket.

Haha, I'm not counting on politicians to follow through with anything at this point. Plus I'm not sure even the federal program is as good as some schools' LRAPs - if you decide to leave public interest you have to pay the money back (whereas at Michigan for example you don't). I think I want to do biglaw for a few years to pay off my loans, so it probably won't affect me, but it's nice to have a good LRAP as a backup.

thepunisher24

Postby thepunisher24 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:39 pm

Philo38 wrote:
thepunisher24 wrote:
Muckduck wrote:
Philo38 wrote:
A case of Milwaukee's best and a coupon for 10% off all hats at the UVA bookstore! Shout it at them with an upward inflection and start counting down from 10. When you get to 0 tell them they've got a deal and stick your hand out.

Works everytime.

Great Show. I am sad that it is going to be over soon. Lost too. Rough year for me, but maybe it's a good thing that I won't have any of my favorite shows to distract me in Law School...

Over soon? Really?

(We are talking about The Office, right?)

The Office, yeah. I honestly didn't know it was ending though . . . ouch.

Are you sure it's ending? I haven't seen this news anywhere, even just did a quick google search.

Muckduck

Postby Muckduck » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:00 pm

thepunisher24 wrote:
Are you sure it's ending? I haven't seen this news anywhere, even just did a quick google search.

I think I heard it somewhere. It may just be a widespread rumor. I just figured that Jim and Pam are married, had their baby, Dunder-Mifflin was bought out by Sabre...all that. When I heard it, it made sense, but I have been wrong many times before...

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:46 pm

Muckduck wrote:
thepunisher24 wrote:Are you sure it's ending? I haven't seen this news anywhere, even just did a quick google search.

I think I heard it somewhere. It may just be a widespread rumor. I just figured that Jim and Pam are married, had their baby, Dunder-Mifflin was bought out by Sabre...all that. When I heard it, it made sense, but I have been wrong many times before...

So sad that John Roberts is retiring soon. I think I heard it somewhere.

(This is where these kind of things get started. :D )

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:58 pm

I think The Office has something left in the tank but it is running out of steam. Maybe not steam, but ideas. It obviously started as a spoof of office life that lasted maybe 3 season of ideas. Lucky for them, they had some good characters like Jim and Michael who kept the show rolling once the satire kind of wore off. Now Jim is married and Michael is just sort of floundering. I don't like this Jo character and I don't really know about Andy. He's too much of a tool for us to care about him like Jim cause he's just not a real person. Overall though, if they go 7 solid seasons that's pretty great. Shall miss it.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:05 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:I think The Office has something left in the tank but it is running out of steam. Maybe not steam, but ideas. It obviously started as a spoof of office life that lasted maybe 3 season of ideas. Lucky for them, they had some good characters like Jim and Michael who kept the show rolling once the satire kind of wore off. Now Jim is married and Michael is just sort of floundering. I don't like this Jo character and I don't really know about Andy. He's too much of a tool for us to care about him like Jim cause he's just not a real person. Overall though, if they go 7 solid seasons that's pretty great. Shall miss it.

Well duh, "real" or "ordinary" people aren't allowed into Cornell (it's a university, maybe you've heard of it?).

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:07 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:I think The Office has something left in the tank but it is running out of steam. Maybe not steam, but ideas. It obviously started as a spoof of office life that lasted maybe 3 season of ideas. Lucky for them, they had some good characters like Jim and Michael who kept the show rolling once the satire kind of wore off. Now Jim is married and Michael is just sort of floundering. I don't like this Jo character and I don't really know about Andy. He's too much of a tool for us to care about him like Jim cause he's just not a real person. Overall though, if they go 7 solid seasons that's pretty great. Shall miss it.

Well duh, "real" or "ordinary" people aren't allowed into Cornell (it's a university, maybe you've heard of it?).

I actually minored in "hearing about schools in upstate New York" at the Big East university where I received my degree.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:10 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:

I actually minored in "hearing about schools in upstate New York" at the Big East university where I received my degree.

Oh my, you had to attend a school in the Big East? And then a state school for law school? For shame.

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:12 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:

Oh my, you had to attend a school in the Big East? And then a state school for law school? For shame.

Dude...I could go to Georgetown... I don't :oops:

lilspainishflea

Postby lilspainishflea » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:28 am

joeshmo39 wrote:I'm a senior who is desperately avoiding doing school work. As such, you should all participate in this bracket group I made.

UVA TLS 2013
http://games.espn.go.com/tcmen/en/group?groupID=81209
password rhymes with "yahoo"

The tournament is only 3 weeks, but bragging rights are 3 years.

I joined.

berkeleykel06

Postby berkeleykel06 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:32 am

lilspainishflea wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:I'm a senior who is desperately avoiding doing school work. As such, you should all participate in this bracket group I made.

UVA TLS 2013

I joined.

Joined as well. I only follow the Big East though so I expect to fail miserably.

Muckduck

Postby Muckduck » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:25 am

berkeleykel06 wrote:
Joined as well. I only follow the Big East though so I expect to fail miserably.

Could be a really weird tourney. 2 biggest reasons why I have no idea who will win it all:

1) No UNC? I am a Duke fan, but it is weird that the tarheels are in the NIT. Only the second time this has happened in about 40 years. And they won it all last year. Is this a sign of the last days?
2) ESPN predicted that BYU could make it to the final four. They haven't made it out of the first round for 7 years in a row. If the first one wasn't a sign, this may be.

Who is everyone picking to win it all? My sleeper is K-state.

memaha

Postby memaha » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:25 am

lilspainishflea wrote:

UVA TLS 2013

I joined.

+1

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:09 pm

Kansas is the only team that really impresses me and I also like Baylor to go deep. I look at the bracket though and just feel like none of the teams are worthy. It's certainly been a down year for college basketball. That makes it really hard to pick a bracket because I have so many concerns. The fact that we (Pitt) are a 3 seed is terrifying cause I have seen us play all year and we're just not that good. Then again, someone has to win it.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:17 pm

For all of you March ASW attendees (and April when it happens), feel free to PM me any questions you have about Charlottesville or UVA throughout the weekend (directions to things, recommendations, etc). If you know my email from the student host survey, you can also just email me. I'm going to be busy this weekend so I'm not sure how much in person volunteering I'll be involved with, but I'm sure I'll have time to address quick email/PM questions.

In general if any of you have questions I can try to answer them too but I'd imagine you'd just post them in this thread.

lilspainishflea

Postby lilspainishflea » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:28 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:Kansas is the only team that really impresses me and I also like Baylor to go deep. I look at the bracket though and just feel like none of the teams are worthy. It's certainly been a down year for college basketball. That makes it really hard to pick a bracket because I have so many concerns. The fact that we (Pitt) are a 3 seed is terrifying cause I have seen us play all year and we're just not that good. Then again, someone has to win it.

Pitt has been breaking my heart in the NCAA tournament since Brandin Knight.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:39 pm

lilspainishflea wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:Kansas is the only team that really impresses me and I also like Baylor to go deep. I look at the bracket though and just feel like none of the teams are worthy. It's certainly been a down year for college basketball. That makes it really hard to pick a bracket because I have so many concerns. The fact that we (Pitt) are a 3 seed is terrifying cause I have seen us play all year and we're just not that good. Then again, someone has to win it.

Pitt has been breaking my heart in the NCAA tournament since Brandin Knight.

I hate Scottie Reynolds. So much.

bluejayk

Postby bluejayk » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:50 pm

gladiator wrote:For all of you March ASW attendees (and April when it happens), feel free to PM me any questions you have about Charlottesville or UVA throughout the weekend (directions to things, recommendations, etc). If you know my email from the student host survey, you can also just email me. I'm going to be busy this weekend so I'm not sure how much in person volunteering I'll be involved with, but I'm sure I'll have time to address quick email/PM questions.

In general if any of you have questions I can try to answer them too but I'd imagine you'd just post them in this thread.

What hotel should I stay in? Less than $100/night.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:03 pm

bluejayk wrote:
gladiator wrote:For all of you March ASW attendees (and April when it happens), feel free to PM me any questions you have about Charlottesville or UVA throughout the weekend (directions to things, recommendations, etc). If you know my email from the student host survey, you can also just email me. I'm going to be busy this weekend so I'm not sure how much in person volunteering I'll be involved with, but I'm sure I'll have time to address quick email/PM questions.

The only 2 hotels I've had any experience with are Cavalier Inn and Holiday Inn. Cavalier Inn you could walk to the law school but it kinda sucks in general. Holiday Inn would be a few minute drive but was always acceptable to me.

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:15 pm

gladiator wrote:
bluejayk wrote:

The only 2 hotels I've had any experience with are Cavalier Inn and Holiday Inn. Cavalier Inn you could walk to the law school but it kinda sucks in general. Holiday Inn would be a few minute drive but was always acceptable to me.

Okay, I'm starting to get kind of worried that nobody is mentioning the Day's Inn. That's where I'm staying . . .

thepunisher24

Postby thepunisher24 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:47 pm

I'll be at the Courtyard. I stayed here earlier this year, it's a decent hotel. $100+/night though (or 15,000 hotel points).

slider

Postby slider » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:49 pm

Philo38 wrote:
Okay, I'm starting to get kind of worried that nobody is mentioning the Day's Inn. That's where I'm staying . . .

I'm staying at the Days Inn and I was thinking the exact same thing. I guess we'll find out!

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:15 pm

slider wrote:
Philo38 wrote:

I'm staying at the Days Inn and I was thinking the exact same thing. I guess we'll find out!

I guess so, fingers crossed.

pilotgal

Postby pilotgal » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:32 pm

I talked to Kathy at the Jeffersonian and she is expecting to send me the list of available apartments by Friday. I'm #9.

If the person that she's showing 2 bedroom apartments to this afternoon is on this forum, could you PM me? I'm going to have to take something sight unseen and the last time I did that, I had to spend the summer in a horribly smelly, smoky, apartment. So I'd like to touch base with someone who has seen the apartments recently. While Kathy said she would tell me if any of the potential apartments have been smoked in, I would like a second opinion. Thanks!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”