UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby 02082010 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:26 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:Might be joining this thread officially in the coming months. Received my acceptance package today and I must say I'm impressed.

Please describe this package. I only got a letter last year. :(

An acceptance letter with two personalized notes from Trujillo and Faulk. Faulk wrote he doubts he'll ever hear the level of excitement I exhibited ever again :D And a bunch of other stuff, a huge folder with individual profiles on all UVA's legal specialty areas, a profile of Charlottesville, a copy of the UVA Lawer, etc. Enough info so I can learn everything about the school.

Are any of you EDers or people who were deferred from last cycle going to the Open House on March 18 or April 9? I would think it would be a whole weekend event, but I guess not. Probably want to give us Sat and Sun to explore the law school

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:30 pm

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:32 pm

Assuming they give you a (relatively) generous travel stipend, I don't see any reason not to go unless you have other commitments.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:35 pm

sdedalus

Postby sdedalus » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:56 pm

bdrr wrote:
Your argument is less based on a comprehensive analysis as it is a modern idealistic humanitarian (dare I say Eurocratic?) objection that is entirely out of context in the Chilean scenario.

Man, I just learned a crapload about 20th century history from you guys. I'd argue my 2 cents, but I don't have much knowledge on subjects of these sorts... I majored in business FTW.

What are your thoughts on these Eurocrats, my friend?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:09 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Cavalier wrote:Assuming they give you a (relatively) generous travel stipend, I don't see any reason not to go unless you have other commitments.

It's also a good time to go apartment/house hunting/visiting.

I would disagree with this only because a lot of good places to live will be gone by ASD.

Postby 02082010 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:29 pm

Cavalier wrote:Assuming they give you a (relatively) generous travel stipend, I don't see any reason not to go unless you have other commitments.

They give travel stipends? Really?

Also, YCR, I was RD not ED. I'll def be at ASD if deferred or rejected from Chicago ED (both options seem increasingly likely). Did most attendees stay the entire weekend? Or leave Friday night/Saturday morning?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:35 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:They give travel stipends? Really?

Also, YCR, I was RD not ED. I'll def be at ASD if deferred or rejected from Chicago ED (both options seem increasingly likely). Did most attendees stay the entire weekend? Or leave Friday night/Saturday morning?

The stipend is based on travel distance. Since I was coming from TX, mine was like $400, which covered the cost of airfare and a little of the hotel. You submit a form at the ASD and they mail you a check a few weeks later, it's an after-the-fact payment.

There was stuff 2 days that I came for. I'm not sure if I'm remembering right but there was some stuff Friday and most of the stuff was on Saturday. Then I stuck around Sunday and used it to look around and see the city a bit.

The majority of the stuff is just on one day, but a lot of people seemed to make a weekend out of it.

lilspainishflea

Postby lilspainishflea » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:02 pm

Just got off the phone with Jason Dugas...I'll see you in the Fall! :mrgreen:

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:03 pm

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:24 pm

lilspainishflea wrote:Just got off the phone with Jason Dugas...I'll see you in the Fall! :mrgreen:

Man you budgeted those three posts.

lilspainishflea

Postby lilspainishflea » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:30 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
lilspainishflea wrote:Just got off the phone with Jason Dugas...I'll see you in the Fall! :mrgreen:

Haha, tell me about it. I think I joined two years ago to ask a few questions and I've been pretty busy with work since.

I never saw this day coming!

toolshed

Postby toolshed » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:41 pm

lilspainishflea wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:

Haha, tell me about it. I think I joined two years ago to ask a few questions and I've been pretty busy with work since.

I never saw this day coming!

Shut up. You talk too much.

:lol:

SweetnessUVA

Postby SweetnessUVA » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:45 pm

So I'm down to three choices:
- Ivy one-bedroom
- Ivy two-bedroom
- Woodlands two-bedroom

The decision factors are: how close I want to be to the law school (whether I want to "get away" from the grounds) and whether I want a one-bedroom or two-bedroom. When faced with a dilemma this important, I do what any other person would do - ask strangers for their opinion.

jdavid901

Postby jdavid901 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:10 pm

SweetnessUVA wrote:So I'm down to three choices:
- Ivy one-bedroom
- Ivy two-bedroom
- Woodlands two-bedroom

The decision factors are: how close I want to be to the law school (whether I want to "get away" from the grounds) and whether I want a one-bedroom or two-bedroom. When faced with a dilemma this important, I do what any other person would do - ask strangers for their opinion.

As far as proximity, I'll personally be looking for a place as close to all the facilities at the University as possible. In my undergrad it was easier for me to use the gym and library when I didn't have to drive to them. I also hate dealing with parking and traffic, even light traffic. As far as number of bedrooms, I'm assuming that also means choosing between having a roommate or not, I'd rather share the costs of paying for an apartment with others. But that's just my two cents.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:13 pm

jdavid901 wrote:
- Ivy one-bedroom
- Ivy two-bedroom
- Woodlands two-bedroom

As far as proximity, I'll personally be looking for a place as close to all the facilities at the University as possible. In my undergrad it was easier for me to use the gym and library when I didn't have to drive to them. I also hate dealing with parking and traffic, even light traffic. As far as number of bedrooms, I'm assuming that also means choosing between having a roommate or not, I'd rather share the costs of paying for an apartment with others. But that's just my two cents.

If you live in Ivy the gym is literally between Ivy and the law school. On your walk to class and back you will pass the front entrance to the gym every day. It's hard to live closer if that's important to you.

fouronthe4loor

Postby fouronthe4loor » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:31 pm

jdavid901 wrote:
- Ivy one-bedroom
- Ivy two-bedroom
- Woodlands two-bedroom

+1

As far as applying for places in Ivy, how early should we be doing that?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:36 pm

fouronthe4loor

Postby fouronthe4loor » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:37 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
fouronthe4loor wrote:
jdavid901 wrote:
- Ivy one-bedroom
- Ivy two-bedroom
- Woodlands two-bedroom

+1

As far as applying for places in Ivy, how early should we be doing that?

March-ish if you want your pick of the places. There's usually spots left well into summer though.

Thanks for always answering my questions - you rock.

slider

Postby slider » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:30 am

In at UVA! :-)

jdavid901

Postby jdavid901 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:39 am

slider wrote:In at UVA! :-)

Gratz!

ze2151

Postby ze2151 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:59 am

man! this is by far the longest class of 2013 thread... all these acceptances are freaking me out. one effing rec to go, then hopefully i can throw my hat in this ring!

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:08 pm

slider

Postby slider » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:07 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Glad to be of assistance.

Also, congratulations to slider!

jdavid901 wrote:
slider wrote:In at UVA! :-)

Gratz!

Thank you! Look forward to meeting you all next fall.

JohnWild

Postby JohnWild » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:53 pm

Any current students have any thoughts about the townhouses / condos on Arlington Blvd? I have a contact that owns a townhouse (one of the 3 bedroom, 1.5 bath ones) at the end of Arlington Blvd and one that owns that a few Arlington Court Condomeniums. I hear everyone talk about how great Ivy Gardens is and don't get me wrong it does look real nice, but the proximity Arlington Blvd has to the law school and mall is very appealing to me.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”