UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
somethingpretty

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby somethingpretty » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:47 pm

hannah87 wrote:
somethingpretty wrote:
hannah87 wrote:i'm reverse-splitter-ish, for UVA anyway. 168, 3.9. maybe my gpa will win me $75k???? PLEASE???

I think someone else with your exact numbers just received a scholarship, didn't they? Good luck with convincing the hubby, Hannah - I have a serious boyfriend who will be moving with me wherever I ultimately decide to go, and if it's to UVA (which it probably will be), he'll be giving up a great job. Tough situation.

thanks, somethingpretty! i'm pretty sure it was a 3.91, 168 and a 4.0, 168 who have gotten them, so I'm still holding out some hope. $$$ would help to convince hubby, i think. it's such a tough situation...has your BF had any luck looking at possible jobs in C'Ville? it's so limited for finance types :( .

Not yet, but he's a teacher, so we're hoping the job market might not be as bad as in some other fields. Have you considered having him look for jobs in Richmond, and commuting? You two could even live just a little outside outside of CVille so the drive wouldn't be so terrible for him. It would definitely be a compromise, but maybe better than staying in NY? The job market in Richmond is bound to be better for finance than in Charlottesville.

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:49 pm

somethingpretty wrote:
hannah87 wrote:
somethingpretty wrote:
hannah87 wrote:i'm reverse-splitter-ish, for UVA anyway. 168, 3.9. maybe my gpa will win me $75k???? PLEASE???

I think someone else with your exact numbers just received a scholarship, didn't they? Good luck with convincing the hubby, Hannah - I have a serious boyfriend who will be moving with me wherever I ultimately decide to go, and if it's to UVA (which it probably will be), he'll be giving up a great job. Tough situation.

thanks, somethingpretty! i'm pretty sure it was a 3.91, 168 and a 4.0, 168 who have gotten them, so I'm still holding out some hope. $$$ would help to convince hubby, i think. it's such a tough situation...has your BF had any luck looking at possible jobs in C'Ville? it's so limited for finance types :( .

Not yet, but he's a teacher, so we're hoping the job market might not be as bad as in some other fields. Have you considered having him look for jobs in Richmond, and commuting? You two could even live just a little outside outside of CVille so the drive wouldn't be so terrible for him. It would definitely be a compromise, but maybe better than staying in NY? The job market in Richmond is bound to be better for finance than in Charlottesville.

thanks for the suggestions. teaching should be a bit easier to find. i am going to look into jobs/living outside c'ville more if i decide that i absolutely love the school at the april ASD. also, if they give me a scholarship :D. GOOD LUCK with the $ and please report back if you see a change on your status checker!

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:15 pm

Okay, I can't even get into my status checker. I have never logged onto it because Faulk called me so soon after I applied . . .

It just says that my password/ID are not correct. When I ask it to email me a password it gives me an error. Perhaps my inactivity took me out of the status checker system? Meh. I guess I will just go be productive and study for my exam (even though I enjoy nervous speculation about scholly offers so much more).

whattodo2008

Postby whattodo2008 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:31 pm

Philo38 wrote:Okay, I can't even get into my status checker. I have never logged onto it because Faulk called me so soon after I applied . . .

It just says that my password/ID are not correct. When I ask it to email me a password it gives me an error. Perhaps my inactivity took me out of the status checker system? Meh. I guess I will just go be productive and study for my exam (even though I enjoy nervous speculation about scholly offers so much more).

yeah this is exactly what happened to me, but then I called admissions and they transferred me to somebody who reset my password. Now it's all good. Hope this helps!

(No scholarship letter though, yet :-< ; oh wells! :-) )

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:44 pm

I want all the regular decision people to get their scholly monies so UVa can throw the scraps to the ED kids! $500/yr scholarships FTW!

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:48 pm

whattodo2008 wrote:
Philo38 wrote:Okay, I can't even get into my status checker. I have never logged onto it because Faulk called me so soon after I applied . . .

yeah this is exactly what happened to me, but then I called admissions and they transferred me to somebody who reset my password. Now it's all good. Hope this helps!

Thanks. Maybe its best if I don't have it though, thinking back on that sad period of page refreshes waiting for my LSAT score, and my LORs and transcripts to show up.

I doubt I will get anything anyway, or not much at least, so I shouldn't get my hopes up. I think Doritos and I are in the same boat . . . . damn you ED!

whattodo2008

Postby whattodo2008 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:50 pm

Philo38 wrote:
whattodo2008 wrote:

Thanks. Maybe its best if I don't have it though, thinking back on that sad period of page refreshes waiting for my LSAT score, and my LORs and transcripts to show up.

I doubt I will get anything anyway, or not much at least, so I shouldn't get my hopes up. I think Doritos and I are in the same boat . . . . damn you ED!

I'm with you. And yes, even though I doubt $, you're right, it's hard not to check the page.

A Swift

Postby A Swift » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:51 pm

Did you guys all do your Fafsa and supplemental form before recieving scholarships?

slider

Postby slider » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:53 pm

Doritos wrote:I want all the regular decision people to get their scholly monies so UVa can throw the scraps to the ED kids! $500/yr scholarships FTW!

+1

LMAO! Sad but true.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:58 pm

Doritos wrote:I want all the regular decision people to get their scholly monies so UVa can throw the scraps to the ED kids! $500/yr scholarships FTW!

Right? ED and I'm a heavy splitter, if they kick me a case of beer I'll be surprised/happy.

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:02 pm

dailygrind wrote:

Right? ED and I'm a heavy splitter, if they kick me a case of beer I'll be surprised/happy.

You should at the very least try to negotiate the type of beer though. You know, to keep your dignity and all. It's what I plan on doing. I may even start off demanding a foam cooler too, you have to come in high in order to arrive at a fair middle ground.

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:04 pm

A Swift wrote:Did you guys all do your Fafsa and supplemental form before recieving scholarships?

I sent in my fafsa, but not the SIS (UVa) forms.

ogman05

Postby ogman05 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:04 pm

This

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:07 pm

Philo38 wrote:
dailygrind wrote:

You should at the very least try to negotiate the type of beer though. You know, to keep your dignity and all. It's what I plan on doing. I may even start off demanding a foam cooler too, you have to come in high in order to arrive at a fair middle ground.

I don't really have a lot of leverage though. I'm afraid I'll ask for the foam cooler only to have them come back with Milwaukee's Best.

thepunisher24

Postby thepunisher24 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:09 pm

Speaking of beer, what are considered Virginia's "local" beers? I guess Boston has Sam Adams, PA has Yeungling, what about Virginia?

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:12 pm

thepunisher24 wrote:Speaking of beer, what are considered Virginia's "local" beers? I guess Boston has Sam Adams, PA has Yeungling, what about Virginia?

Starr Hill is a brewery in Charlottesville that has good regional distribution. I get it in Nashville. It's so so, not very interesting.

EDIT: Let me add before I offend anybody that I have only had the chance to try 3 of thier Brews. Festie, Northern Lights, and the Jomo Lager.

The only one that was plain bad was the Jomo Lager. I love pales so the Northern Lights sits well with me, but as far as IPAs go, it is pretty inferior I think. That said, I plan to drink a boatload of it next year.
Last edited by Philo38 on Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Muckduck

Postby Muckduck » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:13 pm

dailygrind wrote:
Philo38 wrote:
dailygrind wrote:

I don't really have a lot of leverage though. I'm afraid I'll ask for the foam cooler only to have them come back with Milwaukee's Best.

Maybe if we sent our LSAT PT average we can get some leverage? Haha :cry: No.

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:21 pm

dailygrind wrote:
Philo38 wrote:
dailygrind wrote:

A case of Milwaukee's best and a coupon for 10% off all hats at the UVA bookstore! Shout it at them with an upward inflection and start counting down from 10. When you get to 0 tell them they've got a deal and stick your hand out.

Works everytime.

whoknows12

Postby whoknows12 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:22 pm

Could someone post a link to the status checker? I also never received one (ED admit) and would like to see if I can log in somehow

thepunisher24

Postby thepunisher24 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:27 pm

whoknows12 wrote:Could someone post a link to the status checker? I also never received one (ED admit) and would like to see if I can log in somehow

Check your old e-mails, you should have received your user name and password shortly after you applied, ED or not. The status checker can be found in the Admissions section of UVA Law's site, under the "Admissions Status" link (I think this is what it's called, someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:27 pm

whoknows12 wrote:Could someone post a link to the status checker? I also never received one (ED admit) and would like to see if I can log in somehow

http://www.law.virginia.edu/admissions

And click on "Application Status"

Muckduck

Postby Muckduck » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:22 pm

Philo38 wrote:
A case of Milwaukee's best and a coupon for 10% off all hats at the UVA bookstore! Shout it at them with an upward inflection and start counting down from 10. When you get to 0 tell them they've got a deal and stick your hand out.

Works everytime.

Great Show. I am sad that it is going to be over soon. Lost too. Rough year for me, but maybe it's a good thing that I won't have any of my favorite shows to distract me in Law School...

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:25 pm

Does anyone have an idea of when the rumored improved LRAP will come out? Hopefully before the deposit deadline...

thepunisher24

Postby thepunisher24 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:26 pm

Muckduck wrote:
Philo38 wrote:

Works everytime.

Great Show. I am sad that it is going to be over soon. Lost too. Rough year for me, but maybe it's a good thing that I won't have any of my favorite shows to distract me in Law School...

Over soon? Really?

(We are talking about The Office, right?)

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:30 pm

Amelie wrote:Does anyone have an idea of when the rumored improved LRAP will come out? Hopefully before the deposit deadline...

I'm curious about this as well. I guess it doesn't matter since Obama is going to come through with that awesome loan forgiveness stuff he talked about in the State of the Union right? Yep, blindly putting all my eggs in that basket.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”