UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
badwithpseudonyms

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:31 pm

dailygrind wrote:Count me in on poker. Hold'em right? I'm not too great with the other variations.

Probably. I used to play some Omaha in high school. But we played a lot back then.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:35 pm

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:39 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
dailygrind wrote:Count me in on poker. Hold'em right? I'm not too great with the other variations.

Probably. I used to play some Omaha in high school. But we played a lot back then.

haha me too..in HS we'd play poker so often that we'd switch it up sometimes...also count me in

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:39 pm

somethingpretty wrote:Hello all,

I've been a lurker on this board for awhile now, and I thought I'd finally introduce myself and jump in. I was admitted in December, and to be honest, I wasn't even seriously considering UVA at that time. However, I've gotten more and more excited about UVA the more I learn about the school and CVille, and I'm just about ready to make final leap and put down a deposit.

I'll be attending ASW next week (!!!) and I'm excited to meet some fellow classmates.

Is anyone else considering living in other areas of Charlottesville, or outside the city? I'm looking at a few houses in Belmont, and then outside of CVille in Crozet and Keswick. I love the quirky character of Belmont, and I'm also down with the pastoral, small-town feel of the outlying communities (Georgia girl here). Anyone currently in school have any thoughts on this - am I going to want to shoot myself with a 20+ minute commute?

My one and only hesitation about UVA is, hilariously, softball. I'm seriously kind of dreading it. Is there any such position as team mom? Glad to see from these boards that I'm not THE only one with this sentiment. :)

Can't wait to meet some of you next week!

I would say it depends how used to commuting you are. If you're someone who can handle getting up early and getting out the door on time every day, it's not terrible to have a commute. If you're someone like me who dreads waking up before 10 AM on a daily basis, then you'll probably regret not living closer considering you'll probably have class at 8:30 AM 3 times/week for your 1L fall semester. You might consider living closer 1L year and then moving further out for 2L/3L if you decide that's the right thing to do after you have a year's experience in Charlottesville.

Also, I wouldn't panic about softball. It's a positive aspect of the school for those who like it but it doesn't mean everyone has to like it. Usually when the year starts, turnout is about 80-90% for each section but as the semester/year rolls on, turnout tends to dwindle down to those who actually care. By no means is softball the key to social interaction but it can grease the wheels for those who like it. You'll have plenty of other section bonding opportunities to make friends.

ridleyroses

Postby ridleyroses » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:40 pm

I'm pretty dead-set on UVA right now, but am still waiting to pull the trigger on a deposit because of scholarship negotiation stuff with other schools. When does Ivy Gardens fill up? Is it already too late?

mcflooter06

Postby mcflooter06 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:41 pm

Count me in for poker! I was definitely concerned with finding myself a poker group. :)

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:51 pm

Some remarks:

UVA is really not very gunnerish. Gunner-mockery is much more prevalent than actual gunning. Anyone gunning to any degree prior to law school beginning is going to peter out some time in October.

Study groups, if useful at all, are only useful with people who have the same class as you. I would never dream of studying for a subject with someone who didn't have the same professor. That'd be a complete waste of time.

The chance of any "group" of any kind that is formed now surviving until September is about zero. People will hang out with people they want to hang out with. Cliques will form. High school 2.0, etc. etc. It is better than high school in that no one cares if you're popular and you have to be a bona fide weirdo for people to avoid you or make fun of you.

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:43 pm

boo jersey shore wrote:Getting amped for ASW this weekend.

Dang, I picked the wrong ASW.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:46 pm

aznflyingpanda wrote:

Have no fear. April ASW has the softball invitational. Nothing will make you happier about attending UVA than watching us stomp Penn, NYU, Columbia, and Harvard by 20-30 runs in softball.

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:52 pm

gladiator wrote:
aznflyingpanda wrote:

Have no fear. April ASW has the softball invitational. Nothing will make you happier about attending UVA than watching us stomp Penn, NYU, Columbia, and Harvard by 20-30 runs in softball.

Girls would make me happier, tell me about them :)

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:31 pm

jmaan wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:

haha me too..in HS we'd play poker so often that we'd switch it up sometimes...also count me in

Count me in. Used to play poker all the time in HS (the glory days of poker on TV), never really able to in UG very often.

Also, fantasy football? I'de love to get in on a UVA Law fantasy league if anybody has one / wants to start one. I'm worried my old league will die next season with everybody's lives / locations changing and what not, and public leagues are lame.

The season starts just after the semester so the timing may be tough but just a thought.

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:33 pm

gladiator wrote:
aznflyingpanda wrote:

20-30 runs? Are you serious, does that happen? As a pretty hopelessly unathletic person I've been a pasionate supporter of "mercy rules" since T-Ball.

ridleyroses

Postby ridleyroses » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:35 pm

any word on ivy gardens availability?

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:47 pm

Philo38 wrote:
gladiator wrote:
aznflyingpanda wrote:

20-30 runs? Are you serious, does that happen? As a pretty hopelessly unathletic person I've been a pasionate supporter of "mercy rules" since T-Ball.

Last year, UVA's best 4 teams won most of the pool play games by at least 10 runs. I'm pretty sure Mens Gold won a game by more than 30. It's pretty rare when we face any competitive teams before the playoff round on the last day of the tournament. It's generally rigged that way to make sure there are no Group of Death (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_of_death) scenarios though.

thepunisher24

Postby thepunisher24 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:43 am

Philo38 wrote:
jmaan wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:

Count me in. Used to play poker all the time in HS (the glory days of poker on TV), never really able to in UG very often.

Also, fantasy football? I'de love to get in on a UVA Law fantasy league if anybody has one / wants to start one. I'm worried my old league will die next season with everybody's lives / locations changing and what not, and public leagues are lame.

The season starts just after the semester so the timing may be tough but just a thought.

In on poker and in on any potential fantasy football league that may form (I think this was brought up by another poster earlier in this thread, seemed to get some decent interest).

slider

Postby slider » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:47 am

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
aznflyingpanda wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:Do you guys have a link to this "study group"?

It's quoted above. Honestly, it doesn't seem like at attempt to start an actual study group, but just to make some friends for the school year.

It's not something I would do personally (I always found the people quick to introduce themselves to be so lame, even when they weren't totally squirrely looking/acting.), and it certainly has the feel of someone with ambitions of being well liked. When I read it I was like, "WTF, really?" But I thought "tool" not "gunner."

TITCR. Poster seems a little desperate to make friends.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:00 pm

Philo38 wrote:Also, fantasy football?

To paraphrase the immortal Jay-Z, ff is so necessary.

If only 1/3 of all the planned social activities come to fruition, I will be a happy camper (but end up at the bottom of the class :( ).

SweetnessUVA

Postby SweetnessUVA » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:56 pm

slider wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:
aznflyingpanda wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:Do you guys have a link to this "study group"?

It's quoted above. Honestly, it doesn't seem like at attempt to start an actual study group, but just to make some friends for the school year.

It's not something I would do personally (I always found the people quick to introduce themselves to be so lame, even when they weren't totally squirrely looking/acting.), and it certainly has the feel of someone with ambitions of being well liked. When I read it I was like, "WTF, really?" But I thought "tool" not "gunner."

TITCR. Poster seems a little desperate to make friends.

Hmmm...a superiority complex to rival my own. ;)

Updates - he's throwing up the wink icons to other guys...

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:26 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:

If only 1/3 of all the planned social activities come to fruition, I will be a happy camper (but end up at the bottom of the class :( ).

Fantasy football is cool, but I think fantasy baseball is a far superior game.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:34 pm

aznflyingpanda wrote:
gladiator wrote:
aznflyingpanda wrote:

Girls would make me happier, tell me about them :)

Law school girls are as hot as you think.

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:50 pm

Kohinoor wrote:Law school girls are as hot as you think.

I have no idea what to think about that statement.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:10 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:

I don't disagree with that, but I'd rather watch football.

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:41 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:

I don't disagree with that, but I'd rather watch football.

Yeah . . . I did fantasy baseball for two years and it was fun but just a little too much for me. It requires a ton of time. Plus, its a little less fun when I can only watch like %15 of the games. I only have basic cable . . . I can watch a whole heck of a lot of Braves games and a some Yankees games but if I own someone on the Rockies or something, fat chance I'll be able to watch them play unless they're playing the Braves.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:01 pm

More UVA spring sports domination...

Men's Lacrosse rolled over #8 Cornell on the road to presumably stay at #1.
Women's Lacrosse knocked off #3 UNC in overtime.
Baseball team was down 8-3 going to the 9th inning and scored 6 runs against #3 FSU on the road to win 9-8 to follow up the 5-0 shutout win yesterday and I'm guessing will hold the #1 ranking even if they lose tomorrow.

JohnWild

Postby JohnWild » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:36 pm

So my work has requested that I take off for the March ASW rather than the April ASW. Anyone have any idea how UVA will react to me calling Monday requesting to sign up late for the ASW (it says they will on their website, just wondering if anyone had any experience with this)? Should I go ahead and fill out the RSVP form or wait until Monday when I call? I wish they had let me know earlier, but I guess thats how it works sometimes. Obviously its too late for a student host, but I don't mind to get a hotel.

Also on another note if anyone lives in the TN / MO / KY area and is interested in carpooling to Charlottesville or possibly splitting a hotel PM me and we can talk details.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”