UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Stringer Bell

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Stringer Bell » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:17 pm

gladiator wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:Someone who knows ACC basketball wanna give us a scouting report for next year? I assume Duke and UNC will be good, I'm sure GT will be alright, though I guess Favors may leave. Wake Forest is an anomaly to me, VT, others. I think Landesberg will be a senior though and I remember Bennet's recruiting being strong. My feeling is we'll be at least solid for our 3 years at UVa. Is that right?

Also, at least UVA's conference tournament didn't end in a 45 point effort. Honestly, Pitt and Dixon preach defense til the cows come home bu sometime you gotta score the damn ball.

Landesberg might not be back next year. It's unclear how next year's team will be. In addition the Landesberg uncertainty, there's really no telling whether the current roster will progress or how the good recruiting class will pan out. I wouldn't be surprised by any finish from 1st to last in the ACC next year.

Yep. Whether or not Landesberg is back will make a big difference. The recruiting class is supposed to be pretty good, but they will be asked to do alot offensively if he is not there. Most of the team is returning. I'm impressed with Bennett as a coach. His players seem to work hard and get after it defensively. There just isn't much offensive talent on the roster. I would imagine in a couple of years he will have them in the NCAA's. Maybe next year if the freshmen step up and/or Landesberg is back.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:19 pm

Why would he leave to be a late second round draft pick or play in Europe?

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:48 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:Why would he leave to be a late second round draft pick or play in Europe?

$$$ I assume.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:13 pm

OK, so I have a question for the class of 2013. I read on AutoAdmit (yes, I confess to reading the site) that a 0L is already forming a study group in the class of 2013 group (I assume the this refers to the Facebook group). Is this really true?

(Actually, now that I think about it, chances are this person browses TLS).

Apple Tree

Postby Apple Tree » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:16 pm

I'm trying to defer my enrollment by one year. Does anyone know if they'll defer your scholarship as well?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:21 pm

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:23 pm

Cavalier wrote:OK, so I have a question for the class of 2013. I read on AutoAdmit (yes, I confess to reading the site) that a 0L is already forming a study group in the class of 2013 group (I assume the this refers to the Facebook group). Is this really true?

If this person does browse TLS they are just blatantly ignoring the advice of virtually every 1L, 2L, and 3L here.

SweetnessUVA

Postby SweetnessUVA » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:24 pm

gladiator wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:Why would he leave to be a late second round draft pick or play in Europe?

$$$ I assume.

I think it had more to do with the A.G.'s statement about admissions policies.

mcflooter06

Postby mcflooter06 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:26 pm

Philo38 wrote:
Cavalier wrote:OK, so I have a question for the class of 2013. I read on AutoAdmit (yes, I confess to reading the site) that a 0L is already forming a study group in the class of 2013 group (I assume the this refers to the Facebook group). Is this really true?

If this person does browse TLS they are just blatantly ignoring the advice of virtually every 1L, 2L, and 3L here.

Lol, there is someone on the FB group already forming a study group, I saw it this morning.

Apple Tree

Postby Apple Tree » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:30 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:I'm trying to defer my enrollment by one year. Does anyone know if they'll defer your scholarship as well?

IIRC, last year they said they'd do it on a case-by-case basis. You'd have to contact the Admissions office.

Thanks! I'm 95% set on UVA, so it would be really nice if they allow me to work another year and save more money.

Chromakey

Postby Chromakey » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:30 pm

mcflooter06 wrote:
Philo38 wrote:

Lol, there is someone on the FB group already forming a study group, I saw it this morning.

Well, of course. You need a study group for all the hornbooks, E&E's and cases you will be reading to prep before August :wink:

Muckduck

Postby Muckduck » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:30 pm

mcflooter06 wrote:
Philo38 wrote:

Wow. And I thought I was over anxious...

Apple Tree

Postby Apple Tree » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:30 pm

mcflooter06 wrote:
Philo38 wrote:

Really? Is UVA that gunnerish? :shock: I won't survive a day there and I just set my heart on it.

Chromakey

Postby Chromakey » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:35 pm

Apple Tree wrote:Really? Is UVA that gunnerish? :shock: I won't survive a day there and I just set my heart on it.

I don't think one overzealous 0L is representative of the school as a whole. At least I really hope not :)

Apple Tree

Postby Apple Tree » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:37 pm

Chromakey wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:Really? Is UVA that gunnerish? :shock: I won't survive a day there and I just set my heart on it.

I don't think one overzealous 0L is representative of the school as a whole. At least I really hope not :)

Me too! I mean, I understand people's will to succeed, but this is a little over the top.

SweetnessUVA

Postby SweetnessUVA » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:39 pm

Apple Tree wrote:
Chromakey wrote:

Me too! I mean, I understand people's will to succeed, but this is a little over the top.

Gunner!

mcflooter06

Postby mcflooter06 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:39 pm

Apple Tree wrote:
Chromakey wrote:

Me too! I mean, I understand people's will to do succeed, but this is a little over the top.

If it is any consolation, he said he wanted it to be a more of a "social group" that went out together and had parties together, with studying thrown in there, haha. Still frighteningly gunnerish, IMO.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:41 pm

I'm thinking of trying to do some kind of Semi-Study group, with a mixture of roughly 75% fun and 25% study. My thinking is this: except for the most disciplined of study groups, this ratio is probably already true, as most of the students I've talked to say that their issue with study groups is that you talk a lot, but not about Law. What I've also heard is that study groups are a good way to get to know people.

So. My proposal.

Why not have a fun group of people who hang out once a week or so, and, when exams start to draw near, come together to support each other (via group review, outline collaboration, etc.) in the honorable goal of not failing? It seems to me that the best way to learn is in a relaxed mental state. Judging from the design of the campus, it would appear Mr. Jefferson agrees. I personally think that having a weekly break for decompression would do me well among the potential stresses of LS, and maybe that's true for you.

Anyhow, I have an application for a 1BR w/ Den in at Ivy Gardens, and hopefully it'll pan out. If so, I'd be more than happy to offer up a location for drinking, dancing (have a nice speaker system), playing of games (card--poker, board, and video--GameCube and Xbox 360), and eating (I like to cook and want to expand my skills...i require guinea pigs).

If any of this sounds appealing, or you have suggestions, toss up a post. It's a work in progress.
Yesterday at 9:13am · Report

Yeah, don't believe everything you read on Auto Admit.

To clarify, that is not me! At least one fellow c/o 2013'er can verify this. I'm simply dispelling rumors. More importantly, someone with access to a closed facebook group limited to the UVA Law c/o 2013 posts on AA under the moniker La Blue Girl.

SweetnessUVA

Postby SweetnessUVA » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:43 pm

mcflooter06 wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:
Chromakey wrote:

Me too! I mean, I understand people's will to do succeed, but this is a little over the top.

If it is any consolation, he said he wanted it to be a more of a "social group" that went out together and had parties together, with studying thrown in there, haha. Still frighteningly gunnerish, IMO.

I saw that just as a ploy to make him seem less gunnerish. What it made me think of is when a kid's lying, how they'll make up a long story that rambles and doesn't really get to the point. He recognized that it was weird, but went on and on about "playing xbox" and "i'll cook for you," but it was pretty easy to see that he is a mega gunner. I mean, who starts study groups five months before school starts?

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:49 pm

Haha, so it is true! At least it's supposedly mostly for fun and not studying. I think someone should let the person know that the 1Ls are split into 12 different sections, so attempting to form a study group now is foolish.

Philo38 wrote:If this person does browse TLS they are just blatantly ignoring the advice of virtually every 1L, 2L, and 3L here.

I agree, but I understand them. I ignored TLS's wisdom when I cracked open the E&Es during the summer. It didn't help.

UVA is not that gunnerish. Don't worry about these people. Many people work incredibly hard (and go out of their way to let you know about it), but they still have no idea what law school exams involve and end up getting curvepwned.

Apple Tree

Postby Apple Tree » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:51 pm

Do you guys have a link to this "study group"?

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:03 pm

Apple Tree wrote:Do you guys have a link to this "study group"?

It's quoted above. Honestly, it doesn't seem like at attempt to start an actual study group, but just to make some friends for the school year.

somethingpretty

Postby somethingpretty » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:11 pm

Hello all,

I've been a lurker on this board for awhile now, and I thought I'd finally introduce myself and jump in. I was admitted in December, and to be honest, I wasn't even seriously considering UVA at that time. However, I've gotten more and more excited about UVA the more I learn about the school and CVille, and I'm just about ready to make final leap and put down a deposit.

I'll be attending ASW next week (!!!) and I'm excited to meet some fellow classmates.

Is anyone else considering living in other areas of Charlottesville, or outside the city? I'm looking at a few houses in Belmont, and then outside of CVille in Crozet and Keswick. I love the quirky character of Belmont, and I'm also down with the pastoral, small-town feel of the outlying communities (Georgia girl here). Anyone currently in school have any thoughts on this - am I going to want to shoot myself with a 20+ minute commute?

My one and only hesitation about UVA is, hilariously, softball. I'm seriously kind of dreading it. Is there any such position as team mom? Glad to see from these boards that I'm not THE only one with this sentiment. :)

Can't wait to meet some of you next week!

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 pm

aznflyingpanda wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:Do you guys have a link to this "study group"?

It's quoted above. Honestly, it doesn't seem like at attempt to start an actual study group, but just to make some friends for the school year.

It's not something I would do personally (I always found the people quick to introduce themselves to be so lame, even when they weren't totally squirrely looking/acting.), and it certainly has the feel of someone with ambitions of being well liked. When I read it I was like, "WTF, really?" But I thought "tool" not "gunner."

Anyway, sounds like an okay time. I don't know how much studying you could actually get done meeting once a week to eat dinner and drink and dance. Seems more like a social support thing. But those are way better when bonds are formed authentically and not forced.

That said, if anyone wants to get a regular poker game together, my poor chips have been sitting unused in their case since undergrad. I'm going to go post an ad on the facebook Marketplace now. :wink:

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:28 pm

Count me in on poker. Hold'em right? I'm not too great with the other variations.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”