UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
SweetnessUVA

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby SweetnessUVA » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:41 am

michstudent10 wrote:
Haha ironically just got the email with my lease attached a few hours ago... for those of you familiar with Ivy, how long of a walk is it from building 124 to the law school? Also can you park anywhere in the lot as long as you have the right color permit?

What's your lease start date? I'm mid-July and feel like I'll be the only person in C-ville for a good week or two.

lilspainishflea

Postby lilspainishflea » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:41 am

SweetnessUVA wrote:
michstudent10 wrote:
Haha ironically just got the email with my lease attached a few hours ago... for those of you familiar with Ivy, how long of a walk is it from building 124 to the law school? Also can you park anywhere in the lot as long as you have the right color permit?

What's your lease start date? I'm mid-July and feel like I'll be the only person in C-ville for a good week or two.

You may be. I'm August 6th in Ivy Gardens 104.

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:01 am

lilspainishflea wrote:
SweetnessUVA wrote:
michstudent10 wrote:

You may be. I'm August 6th in Ivy Gardens 104.

My lease starts end of July, but I won't be moving in until first week of August.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:14 am

michstudent10

Postby michstudent10 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:21 am

SweetnessUVA wrote:
michstudent10 wrote:

July 30th - looks like I'll be joining you in C-ville! :D

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:24 am

YCrevolution wrote:
hannah87 wrote:hi guys :) . any tips for convincing my husband that he needs to quit his job and that we need to move to charlottesville this summer? he does not seem to understand. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

From a financial perspective, it might make more sense to keep the job he has as long as possible, especially if the pay is decent.

This. The life of a college student is a broke one.

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:26 am

Am I going to be considerably uncomfortable in C'ville if I get an apartment without central a/c? Looks like it usually gets pretty cool in the evenings (into the 60s/low 70s), based on the averages.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:29 am

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:30 am

YCrevolution wrote:
oneforship wrote:Am I going to be considerably uncomfortable in C'ville if I get an apartment without central a/c? Looks like it usually gets pretty cool in the evenings (into the 60s/low 70s), based on the averages.

That depends on how much you hate the heat. However, if you've got a good in-wall/window unit, you'll probably be fine.

The other thing to keep in mind is that an apartment without central a/c in this area is probably pretty old and hasn't had any extensive renovations.

Cool, thanks. I'm going to be checking out a couple of places next weekend, so I'll get to see them in person and make a decision about the renovations. Heat wise, I think I'll probably be ok, but I definitely don't want to live in a dump.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:33 am

a.williams

Postby a.williams » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:44 am

oneforship wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
oneforship wrote:Am I going to be considerably uncomfortable in C'ville if I get an apartment without central a/c? Looks like it usually gets pretty cool in the evenings (into the 60s/low 70s), based on the averages.

That depends on how much you hate the heat. However, if you've got a good in-wall/window unit, you'll probably be fine.

The other thing to keep in mind is that an apartment without central a/c in this area is probably pretty old and hasn't had any extensive renovations.

Cool, thanks. I'm going to be checking out a couple of places next weekend, so I'll get to see them in person and make a decision about the renovations. Heat wise, I think I'll probably be ok, but I definitely don't want to live in a dump.

If you're like me and don't like humidity, make sure you have AC.

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:56 am

vanwinkle wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
hannah87 wrote:hi guys :) . any tips for convincing my husband that he needs to quit his job and that we need to move to charlottesville this summer? he does not seem to understand. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

From a financial perspective, it might make more sense to keep the job he has as long as possible, especially if the pay is decent.

thanks, guys. the job outlook does look pretty bad in c'ville. i just wanted to make it work :( . i think it would be a good fit for me.

Muckduck

Postby Muckduck » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:59 am

hannah87 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:

thanks, guys. the job outlook does look pretty bad in c'ville. i just wanted to make it work :( . i think it would be a good fit for me.

If you do your homework on loans it still might.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:12 pm

hannah87 wrote:thanks, guys. the job outlook does look pretty bad in c'ville. i just wanted to make it work :( . i think it would be a good fit for me.

Now I feel bad because you haven't got a lot of help.

Definitely depends on what kind of job he's got. If he's got something pretty nice with good long term prospects, then I can see his hesitancy. If it's something he can leave and do something else (even if he thinks that "something else" is below him), you could always lay a guilt trip on him about not being willing to sacrifice for you. Although that's kind of mean. (Any chance you move without him and do your summer work back home?)

The Living in C-ville page has a link to all of Charlottesville's accolades (Charlottesville Facts) and there's also a section about Finding a Job. I haven't lived there myself, but it sounds like the 1Ls enjoy the quality of life at UVA.

If that doesn't work, show him pictures of the Blue Ridge Mountains:

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:16 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
hannah87 wrote:thanks, guys. the job outlook does look pretty bad in c'ville. i just wanted to make it work :( . i think it would be a good fit for me.

Now I feel bad because you haven't got a lot of help.

Definitely depends on what kind of job he's got. If he's got something pretty nice with good long term prospects, then I can see his hesitancy. If it's something he can leave and do something else (even if he thinks that "something else" is below him), you could always lay a guilt trip on him about not being willing to sacrifice for you. Although that's kind of mean. (Any chance you move without him and do your summer work back home?)

The Living in C-ville page has a link to all of Charlottesville's accolades (Charlottesville Facts) and there's also a section about Finding a Job. I haven't lived there myself, but it sounds like the 1Ls enjoy the quality of life at UVA.

If that doesn't work, show him pictures of the Blue Ridge Mountains:

wow, that's beautiful. he's working in finance (at a "fund of funds") and is looking to get into front office investment banking. he doesn't love his job now, nor does he want to stay there long-term. he's just concerned that he won't find work in a related field in VA and will therefore set himself back in an already-impossible field to break into. oh, and i've tried the guilt trip thing. he just guilt trips me back :?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:29 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:If that doesn't work, show him pictures of the Blue Ridge Mountains:

I see pictures like this, and my first thought is, "What film and filters did they use to capture all that color?"

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:37 pm

Know anyone who lives here?

http://www.uheights.net/charlottesville_apartments.html

I guess ugrads can live there too, not sure if that's a good idea.

Muckduck

Postby Muckduck » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:48 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:If that doesn't work, show him pictures of the Blue Ridge Mountains:

I see pictures like this, and my first thought is, "What film and filters did they use to capture all that color?"

+1. Gorgeous though. I wish I could buy glasses with those filters on.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:50 pm

Muckduck wrote:+1. Gorgeous though. I wish I could buy glasses with those filters on.

You can. :wink:

slider

Postby slider » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:06 pm

hannah87 wrote:wow, that's beautiful. he's working in finance (at a "fund of funds") and is looking to get into front office investment banking. he doesn't love his job now, nor does he want to stay there long-term. he's just concerned that he won't find work in a related field in VA and will therefore set himself back in an already-impossible field to break into. oh, and i've tried the guilt trip thing. he just guilt trips me back :?

Is the issue the fact that he does not want to move to C-ville in the summer - or at all?

Edit: for clarity

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:11 pm

slider wrote:
hannah87 wrote:wow, that's beautiful. he's working in finance (at a "fund of funds") and is looking to get into front office investment banking. he doesn't love his job now, nor does he want to stay there long-term. he's just concerned that he won't find work in a related field in VA and will therefore set himself back in an already-impossible field to break into. oh, and i've tried the guilt trip thing. he just guilt trips me back :?

Is the issue the fact that he does not want to move to C-ville in the summer - or at all?

Edit: for clarity

hi slider. the issue is that he does not want to leave nyc/move to C-ville at all :shock:

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:17 pm

oneforship wrote:Know anyone who lives here?

I believe there was a shooting there last year. Perhaps an anomaly but something to consider. If you're not going to spring for a nice place like Woodlands and commute, I'd stick with Ivy or somewhere on Arlington.

Muckduck

Postby Muckduck » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:37 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
Muckduck wrote:+1. Gorgeous though. I wish I could buy glasses with those filters on.

You can. :wink:

I'll tell you if it worked. I'll be in C-ville next week for the March ASW.

Muckduck

Postby Muckduck » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:44 pm

gladiator wrote:

I believe there was a shooting there last year. Perhaps an anomaly but something to consider. If you're not going to spring for a nice place like Woodlands and commute, I'd stick with Ivy or somewhere on Arlington.

Useful link. If you make the time period long enough Charlottesville looks like a war zone. I can't vouch for the accuracy though.

http://www.crimereports.com/map?search= ... ton=SEARCH

slider

Postby slider » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:29 pm

Muckduck wrote:
gladiator wrote:

Useful link. If you make the time period long enough Charlottesville looks like a war zone. I can't vouch for the accuracy though.

http://www.crimereports.com/map?search= ... ton=SEARCH

It seems many crimes are concentrated in a close area. Good to know when deciding where to live.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”