UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:46 pm

YCrevolution wrote:I'll be in C'ville with a research assistant gig.

Cavalier wrote:I'll be an RA as well.

Do y'all have these lined up already?

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Cavalier » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:17 pm

vanwinkle wrote:Do y'all have these lined up already?

Yes, I was hired a week ago.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:22 pm

Cavalier wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:Do y'all have these lined up already?

Yes, I was hired a week ago.

Jesus, I am so screwed.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Cavalier » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:26 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Cavalier wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:Do y'all have these lined up already?

Yes, I was hired a week ago.

Jesus, I am so screwed.

I wouldn't worry about it. There are a fair amount of RA postings up now. Just apply for them all.

avacado111
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:49 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby avacado111 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:33 pm

do any 1ls have sa jobs?

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby RVP11 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:27 am

avacado111 wrote:do any 1ls have sa jobs?


Yes.

oneforship
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:17 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby oneforship » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:17 am

So I spent a nice day in Charlottesville yesterday at the baseball complex to see Dartmouth play. Really nice facilities, and great weather (relatively) so it was a good time.

Didn't get a whole lot of time to check out the campus, but drove around a bit and it seems really nice. Met with some old friends/teammates for dinner at Blue Light Grill, and had some really good angus steak.

Thought the mall area where we walked around a bit before and after dinner was quite nice, in particular.

User avatar
HJO
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:04 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby HJO » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:14 am

Can any of you guys estimate the percentage of 1L's who have SA in a major market lined up for this summer?

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Cavalier » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:20 am

HJO wrote:Can any of you guys estimate the percentage of 1L's who have SA in a major market lined up for this summer?

The vast majority of 1Ls do not have SA jobs, and of the few who do, many have them in secondary markets that they have ties to. For instance, a few of the firms that interviewed here were from Alabama, so at least a couple people who happen to have ties there were able to get jobs. I only know one person with a SA job in a "major market."

If you have no ties to secondary markets in Virginia or the South, your chance of getting a SA job after 1L is very slim. If you do happen to have ties, you stand a slightly higher chance, but you'd still be lucky to get one.

User avatar
Doritos
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Doritos » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:24 am

Cavalier wrote:
HJO wrote:Can any of you guys estimate the percentage of 1L's who have SA in a major market lined up for this summer?

The vast majority of 1Ls do not have SA jobs, and of the few who do, many have them in secondary markets that they have ties to. For instance, a few of the firms that interviewed here were from Alabama, so at least a couple people who happen to have ties there were able to get jobs. I only know one person with a SA job in a "major market."

If you have no ties to secondary markets in Virginia or the South, your chance of getting a SA job after 1L is very slim. If you do happen to have ties, you stand a slightly higher chance, but you'd still be lucky to get one.


Your profile says you are from Washington yet you have an SA lined up. Good grades?

User avatar
gladiator
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 12:40 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby gladiator » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:35 am

oneforship wrote:So I spent a nice day in Charlottesville yesterday at the baseball complex to see Dartmouth play. Really nice facilities, and great weather (relatively) so it was a good time.

Didn't get a whole lot of time to check out the campus, but drove around a bit and it seems really nice. Met with some old friends/teammates for dinner at Blue Light Grill, and had some really good angus steak.

Thought the mall area where we walked around a bit before and after dinner was quite nice, in particular.


You forgot/neglected to mention the score. UVA 14, Dartmouth 3.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby RVP11 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:42 am

HJO wrote:Can any of you guys estimate the percentage of 1L's who have SA in a major market lined up for this summer?


Maybe 1% or 2%?

Of the four people I know with SAs, only one is in a major market (DC).

User avatar
Muckduck
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Muckduck » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:49 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
HJO wrote:Can any of you guys estimate the percentage of 1L's who have SA in a major market lined up for this summer?


Maybe 1% or 2%?

Of the four people I know with SAs, only one is in a major market (DC).


Yikes!

On top of that news, I had my first LS nightmare last night! I got a B- on a final. The professor had written A- inside the bluebook, but he had made a mistake and recorded it as a B-. Then he didn't want to switch it back and mess up the curve he had constructed... Ah! Hopefully it wasn't prophetic.

PartyOfOne
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:01 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby PartyOfOne » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:01 pm

oneforship wrote:So I spent a nice day in Charlottesville yesterday at the baseball complex to see Dartmouth play. Really nice facilities, and great weather (relatively) so it was a good time.

Didn't get a whole lot of time to check out the campus, but drove around a bit and it seems really nice. Met with some old friends/teammates for dinner at Blue Light Grill, and had some really good angus steak.

Thought the mall area where we walked around a bit before and after dinner was quite nice, in particular.


Oneforship - Sounds like you played baseball at Dartmouth. If so, we probably played against each other at some point. I was on the team at another Ivy all four years and graduated in 07.

I have to admit, the softball scene at UVA sounds like a lot of fun even if it's not quite as serious as what we're used to. Can anyone attest to the competitiveness of UVA Law softball? Is there any talent out there?

oneforship
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:17 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby oneforship » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:21 pm

gladiator wrote:
oneforship wrote:So I spent a nice day in Charlottesville yesterday at the baseball complex to see Dartmouth play. Really nice facilities, and great weather (relatively) so it was a good time.

Didn't get a whole lot of time to check out the campus, but drove around a bit and it seems really nice. Met with some old friends/teammates for dinner at Blue Light Grill, and had some really good angus steak.

Thought the mall area where we walked around a bit before and after dinner was quite nice, in particular.


You forgot/neglected to mention the score. UVA 14, Dartmouth 3.


Was fairly irrelevant to my post, but aside from the two innings where the Dartmouth starter struggled with control, it was a good game. Also, UVA should beat Dartmouth in just about every sport.

Overall, I wasn't super impressed with UVA as the #1 team in the country, but they were good.

User avatar
Muckduck
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Muckduck » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:22 pm

PartyOfOne wrote:
oneforship wrote:So I spent a nice day in Charlottesville yesterday at the baseball complex to see Dartmouth play. Really nice facilities, and great weather (relatively) so it was a good time.

Didn't get a whole lot of time to check out the campus, but drove around a bit and it seems really nice. Met with some old friends/teammates for dinner at Blue Light Grill, and had some really good angus steak.

Thought the mall area where we walked around a bit before and after dinner was quite nice, in particular.


Oneforship - Sounds like you played baseball at Dartmouth. If so, we probably played against each other at some point. I was on the team at another Ivy all four years and graduated in 07.

I have to admit, the softball scene at UVA sounds like a lot of fun even if it's not quite as serious as what we're used to. Can anyone attest to the competitiveness of UVA Law softball? Is there any talent out there?


I've been told by a current 1L that if you are semi-athletic and have any experience playing softball, you are going to look pretty good... (this is referring to games between sections. This may not be true of other leagues in Charlottesville)

User avatar
gladiator
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 12:40 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby gladiator » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:39 pm

Muckduck wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:
HJO wrote:Can any of you guys estimate the percentage of 1L's who have SA in a major market lined up for this summer?


Maybe 1% or 2%?

Of the four people I know with SAs, only one is in a major market (DC).


Yikes!

On top of that news, I had my first LS nightmare last night! I got a B- on a final. The professor had written A- inside the bluebook, but he had made a mistake and recorded it as a B-. Then he didn't want to switch it back and mess up the curve he had constructed... Ah! Hopefully it wasn't prophetic.


Given there are no bluebooks in law school, I'd say you're unlikely to duplicate that one in real life.

Re: softball competitiveness; if you're really good you'll be on a tournament team and will get to play some very competitive teams in the invitational. Section games will be frustrating but there are some fairly good mens and co-rec teams that compete for the championship.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Cavalier » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:50 pm

Doritos wrote:
Cavalier wrote:
HJO wrote:Can any of you guys estimate the percentage of 1L's who have SA in a major market lined up for this summer?

The vast majority of 1Ls do not have SA jobs, and of the few who do, many have them in secondary markets that they have ties to. For instance, a few of the firms that interviewed here were from Alabama, so at least a couple people who happen to have ties there were able to get jobs. I only know one person with a SA job in a "major market."

If you have no ties to secondary markets in Virginia or the South, your chance of getting a SA job after 1L is very slim. If you do happen to have ties, you stand a slightly higher chance, but you'd still be lucky to get one.

Your profile says you are from Washington yet you have an SA lined up. Good grades?

No, I posted that I have an RA job. RA = research assistant, SA = summer associate. Big difference, especially in pay.

User avatar
gladiator
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 12:40 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby gladiator » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:17 pm

UVA: Master of non-revenue sports:

Soccer- National champions
Baseball- Ranked #1
Tennis- Ranked #1
Lacrosse- Will be ranked #1 tomorrow after beating #1 Syracuse today

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby flyingpanda » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:06 pm

Ok, I realize I probably should have asked this before I ED'ed, but too late now...

I have really bad allergies, does anyone have any experience with this in C-Ville? (Talking about seasonal pollen allergies)


Also, anyone want to play tennis with me :) ?

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby RVP11 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:59 pm

aznflyingpanda wrote:Ok, I realize I probably should have asked this before I ED'ed, but too late now...

I have really bad allergies, does anyone have any experience with this in C-Ville? (Talking about seasonal pollen allergies)


Also, anyone want to play tennis with me :) ?


Only one data point, but my allergies have miraculously disappeared since I moved to Charlottesville. Of course, it's not yet spring.

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby flyingpanda » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:40 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
aznflyingpanda wrote:Ok, I realize I probably should have asked this before I ED'ed, but too late now...

I have really bad allergies, does anyone have any experience with this in C-Ville? (Talking about seasonal pollen allergies)


Also, anyone want to play tennis with me :) ?


Only one data point, but my allergies have miraculously disappeared since I moved to Charlottesville. Of course, it's not yet spring.


Yeah I'm scared of spring, my allergies just started acting up today and made me think of it. Oh well, there's always Claratin anyways.

User avatar
Doritos
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Doritos » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:53 pm

Cavalier wrote:
Doritos wrote:
Cavalier wrote:
HJO wrote:Can any of you guys estimate the percentage of 1L's who have SA in a major market lined up for this summer?

The vast majority of 1Ls do not have SA jobs, and of the few who do, many have them in secondary markets that they have ties to. For instance, a few of the firms that interviewed here were from Alabama, so at least a couple people who happen to have ties there were able to get jobs. I only know one person with a SA job in a "major market."

If you have no ties to secondary markets in Virginia or the South, your chance of getting a SA job after 1L is very slim. If you do happen to have ties, you stand a slightly higher chance, but you'd still be lucky to get one.

Your profile says you are from Washington yet you have an SA lined up. Good grades?

No, I posted that I have an RA job. RA = research assistant, SA = summer associate. Big difference, especially in pay.


Vaya

User avatar
jdavid901
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:06 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby jdavid901 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:20 pm

aznflyingpanda wrote:Ok, I realize I probably should have asked this before I ED'ed, but too late now...

I have really bad allergies, does anyone have any experience with this in C-Ville? (Talking about seasonal pollen allergies)


Also, anyone want to play tennis with me :) ?


I've never played tennis, but sure, I'll play tennis with you! ...or at least act as a moving target for ya :mrgreen:

User avatar
Muckduck
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Muckduck » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:05 am

JSUVA2012 wrote:
HJO wrote:Can any of you guys estimate the percentage of 1L's who have SA in a major market lined up for this summer?


Maybe 1% or 2%?

Of the four people I know with SAs, only one is in a major market (DC).


It is not uncommon though for the majority of 1Ls to have no SA positions right? Although some 1Ls do get jobs, it is not a sign of the "lawpocolypse" that many have not.

I was under the impression that it wasn't generally until 2L that firms viewed law students as worth the investment and close enough to graduation to make lucrative summer offers.




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest