UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
vanwinkle

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:53 am

jawsthegreat wrote:As an aside, why do people constantly state that "a school is my overwhelming number 1 choice or my dream school" yet not pull the trigger on ED when their number clearly dictate that to be their only chance?

I think it comes down to two things: Lack of understanding about the admissions system, and money. Last cycle I had both problems; as a splitter who hadn't yet found TLS by the ED deadlines I didn't know how important those might be in helping me get in somewhere, and I also wasn't yet sure I wanted to go big, thinking I might want to take a scholarship somewhere if I got one and wanting to see what offers I got. I did end up getting some big $$$ offers, but chose UVA anyway as I learned more and my priorities changed.

Of course, that was last cycle, when the ED deadlines all fell relatively early, and I learned a lot about things as the cycle went on and I went through it. I knew so little about where I wanted to go that early in the cycle. If I had done ED, it would've been to Penn. How different my life might've been then! :lol:

FeuerFrei

Postby FeuerFrei » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:16 am

Last edited by FeuerFrei on Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:19 am

FeuerFrei wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:. But maybe they have WLed more folks than usual and for RD have just accepted people above both medians. Is that the case?

I was accepted RD, at 1 median, below other

Same here, above one 75th, below the other.

michstudent10

Postby michstudent10 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:48 pm

oneforship wrote:
FeuerFrei wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:. But maybe they have WLed more folks than usual and for RD have just accepted people above both medians. Is that the case?

I was accepted RD, at 1 median, below other

Same here, above one 75th, below the other.

+1... accepted RD above one 75th & below median for another.

When I was visiting they did explain that they're trying extra hard not to overenroll this year so they made their "target class size" a little bit smaller when figuring it out.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:12 pm

4 females on co-rec softball teams, not 3, unless you want to handicap yourself by playing 3 outfielders.

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:14 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
memaha wrote:
avacado111 wrote:
Also, lime and leaf is the best thai food I have ever tasted in my life...

THANK GOD there is good thai. So neccessary :)

That would be nice. I have heard from one of my high school friends currently living in VA that the Mexican food pales in comparison to what I'm used to in Texas (Vanwinkle actually confirmed this). Good thai food would be a decent consolation.

Yeah, but let's be honest, Texans aren't a good evaluater of Mexican food. Texans think thier mexican food is better than everywhere. Texans think thier mexican food is better than Mexico's mexican food. Just saying. I love Texas but anybody who lives there for over a year developes a strange superiority complex about orange cheese dip.

We just got a Chuy's in Nashville and its like a damn cult in there.

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:16 pm

gladiator wrote:4 females on co-rec softball teams, not 3, unless you want to handicap yourself by playing 3 outfielders.

Or playing me. My presence represents at least a deficit of -2 runs per game.

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:21 pm

Philo38 wrote:Yeah, but let's be honest, Texans aren't a good evaluater of Mexican food. Texans think thier mexican food is better than everywhere. Texans think thier mexican food is better than Mexico's mexican food. Just saying. I love Texas but anybody who lives there for over a year developes a strange superiority complex about orange cheese dip.

This is plain false. I know no one in Texas who would claim that their Mexican food is better than Mexico. And it is better than just about everywhere else in the country, save parts of California, Arizona and New Mexico that can compete.

astro1819

Postby astro1819 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:33 pm

Hey everyone, just read through about all of the preceding 72 pages and am convinced that UVA is one of the most awesome places to attend law school!!! I'm almost set on attending UVA, though for personal reasons I'm still keeping other schools in contention.

In addition, Michigan is offering me 10k/year and I'm hoping that UVA will match it, which would pretty much seal the deal for me. So, I was wondering, when do smaller scholarship offers come out? Does UVA typically match the offers from peer schools? I have to submit my financial aid forms ASAP, but I'm just trying to figure out when I should start letting UVA know about my other offers.

mikeh915

Postby mikeh915 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:57 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:Now if some folks here are interested in an intramural law school hoops squad, that's a different story.
[/quote]

Would love to play a law school hoops team. 6'5-215 been playing since I could walk. If you need a C/PF I'm down.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:30 pm

mikeh915 wrote:Would love to play a law school hoops team. 6'5-215 been playing since I could walk. If you need a C/PF I'm down.

:shock: You're a giant. I call dibs on that ^ guy.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:18 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
mikeh915 wrote:Would love to play a law school hoops team. 6'5-215 been playing since I could walk. If you need a C/PF I'm down.

Sweet. A good big man is a nice find. I'm a 6'1" SG.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:22 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:

We need a PG and another big man. Any takers?

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:25 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:

I can play a mean drive and kick point.

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:47 pm

oneforship wrote:
Philo38 wrote:Yeah, but let's be honest, Texans aren't a good evaluater of Mexican food. Texans think thier mexican food is better than everywhere. Texans think thier mexican food is better than Mexico's mexican food. Just saying. I love Texas but anybody who lives there for over a year developes a strange superiority complex about orange cheese dip.

This is plain false. I know no one in Texas who would claim that their Mexican food is better than Mexico. And it is better than just about everywhere else in the country, save parts of California, Arizona and New Mexico that can compete.

Whew boy, thought that sentence was pretty clearly tongue in cheek. Just kidding around here.

MikeParadise

Postby MikeParadise » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:56 pm

I was wondering if anyone heard of people having their acceptance offers rescinded due to poor academic performance (failing a class OR postponed graduation) during their last semester at undergrad? I am so excited about getting in that I can not help but think of anything that can go wrong.

Thanks

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:03 pm

MikeParadise wrote:I was wondering if anyone heard of people having their acceptance offers rescinded due to poor academic performance (failing a class OR postponed graduation) during their last semester at undergrad? I am so excited about getting in that I can not help but think of anything that can go wrong.

Thanks

All I can speak to is that I have encountered several people on TLS claiming to know someone who this happened to. I think the general wisdom is, if you do poorly don't update your LSAC transcript.

dgouzoul

Postby dgouzoul » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:07 pm

I don't have the pleasure of knowing anybody who got their offer rescinded, but i know that i was told by someone at UVA's admissions office that I need to maintain a 3.85+. But, if I dont, then just dont update my transcript through LSAC. As far as im concerned, im never logging into LSAC again.

Note - You will have to send UVA a transcript once you get your degree so they can show the ABA that you have completed undergraduate work. But they don't care what your GPA is on that because that # isnt what they report, only whats on LSAC

lilspainishflea

Postby lilspainishflea » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:18 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:

I'm 6'3" with a pretty money skyhook from the block.

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:30 pm

Anyone on here gonna live at the Graduate Centre? I'm probably gonna live there and was just curious if anyone else is looking for roommates or something.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:51 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:We need a PG and another big man. Any takers?

lilspainishflea wrote:I'm 6'3" with a pretty money skyhook from the block.

oneforship wrote:I can play a mean drive and kick point.

Now we need a team to play against. :lol:

soullesswonder

Postby soullesswonder » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:58 pm

Tagging this thread in light of the last two days - UVA has gone from a nice thought to an awesome possibility for me. Now, if only I could find some other people with marginal athletic talent to keep me company.... :(

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:12 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:We need a PG and another big man. Any takers?

lilspainishflea wrote:I'm 6'3" with a pretty money skyhook from the block.

oneforship wrote:I can play a mean drive and kick point.

Now we need a team to play against. :lol:

You guys talked yourself up an awful lot... gonna be hard to find takers. Regardless, I'm 6 foot flat and terrible at sports. Does anyone want to try to form some sort of underdog dorky kid squad to try and take these guys on? Imagine us as about a 14 or 15 seed and we just come out in the first half and shoot the lights out of the place. Of course, we eventually lose by 20, but it was good to see at first.

Also, I forget who, but someone in this thread and I are forming a "first we play racquetball, then go and drink gin and tonic" intramural league. Still got a lot of spots open.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:06 pm

Sweet. A good big man is a nice find. I'm a 6'1" SG.[/quote]
We need a PG and another big man. Any takers?[/quote]

I'm 6' and was the starting point/shooting guard for our state championship team in high school...Do we have our team now?

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:06 pm

desertlaw wrote:Sweet. A good big man is a nice find. I'm a 6'1" SG.

We need a PG and another big man. Any takers?[/quote]

I'm 6' and was the starting point/shooting guard for our state championship team in high school...Do we have our team now?[/quote]

shit, I'm out. I'll play for the losing team.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”