UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
gladiator

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby gladiator » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:57 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:Looking for some Charlottesville advice for my visit this weekend. I wanted to avoid bringing my parents to ASW because I'm not 17 anymore. Thus, my parents, girlfriend, and I are coming in this weekend just to poke around, see the area, and walk through the law school. What should we do to fill our 2 days up? So far I was thinking of visiting Monti Cello (sp?), just checking out the campus, rotunda, etc. and taking a peek at the law school. Other than that I don't really know the area at all so can you guys make some touristy suggestions? Places to eat, things to see, any events going on maybe.

Events: Sunday 1 PM: #2 UVA vs. #1 Syracuse (Lacrosse), also the #1 ranked baseball team is playing Fri, Sat, and Sun

Restaurants: Marco and Luca's (dumplings), Mellow Mushroom or Christian's (pizza), Continental Divide (Mexican), Lemongrass (Thai), Five Guys or Boylan Heights (burgers), Arch's (ice cream), lots of places Downtown (classy and expensive), Littlejohns or White Spot (only if it's after midnight and you're drunk)

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:59 pm

gladiator wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:Looking for some Charlottesville advice for my visit this weekend. I wanted to avoid bringing my parents to ASW because I'm not 17 anymore. Thus, my parents, girlfriend, and I are coming in this weekend just to poke around, see the area, and walk through the law school. What should we do to fill our 2 days up? So far I was thinking of visiting Monti Cello (sp?), just checking out the campus, rotunda, etc. and taking a peek at the law school. Other than that I don't really know the area at all so can you guys make some touristy suggestions? Places to eat, things to see, any events going on maybe.

Events: Sunday 1 PM: #2 UVA vs. #1 Syracuse (Lacrosse), also the #1 ranked baseball team is playing Fri, Sat, and Sun

Restaurants: Marco and Luca's (dumplings), Mellow Mushroom or Christian's (pizza), Continental Divide (Mexican), Lemongrass (Thai), Five Guys or Boylan Heights (burgers), Arch's (ice cream), lots of places Downtown (classy and expensive), Littlejohns or White Spot (only if it's after midnight and you're drunk)

I'll be down this weekend at the baseball game, going to watch Dartmouth take down #1!

probably not

SweetnessUVA

Postby SweetnessUVA » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:19 pm

dgouzoul wrote:cant wait to smash all of you in softball

You know, I was thinking about this - I'm ridiculous as softball (e.g., played baseball my whole life, solid defense, hit for about 1.000) and I'm hearing that there's one club team that pretty much dominates. How badass would it be to have a 1L team of all-stars just destroy them? If you build it, they will come...

jnorsky

Postby jnorsky » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:25 pm

SweetnessUVA wrote:

You know, I was thinking about this - I'm ridiculous as softball (e.g., played baseball my whole life, solid defense, hit for about 1.000) and I'm hearing that there's one club team that pretty much dominates. How badass would it be to have a 1L team of all-stars just destroy them? If you build it, they will come...

Worddd, played baseball my whole life as well, cant wait to kick some ass in softball, screw grades

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:29 pm

jnorsky wrote:
SweetnessUVA wrote:

Worddd, played baseball my whole life as well, cant wait to kick some ass in softball, screw grades

I played varsity baseball in UG, I would be lying if I said softball didn't affect my choice to ED in some way :lol:

SweetnessUVA

Postby SweetnessUVA » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:01 pm

jnorsky wrote: Worddd, played baseball my whole life as well, cant wait to kick some ass in softball, screw grades

jawsthegreat wrote:I played varsity baseball in UG, I would be lying if I said softball didn't affect my choice to ED in some way :lol:

Alright - we're up to three players. We need to find some girls and a few more people to round out the team and we're in good shape.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:38 pm

SweetnessUVA wrote:
jnorsky wrote: Worddd, played baseball my whole life as well, cant wait to kick some ass in softball, screw grades

jawsthegreat wrote:I played varsity baseball in UG, I would be lying if I said softball didn't affect my choice to ED in some way :lol:

Alright - we're up to three players. We need to find some girls and a few more people to round out the team and we're in good shape.

Every team needs a black guy. We steal the bases. I'll be that guy.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:45 pm

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:50 pm

YCrevolution wrote:You're not allowed to steal bases in the co-ed softball league.

--ImageRemoved--

avacado111

Postby avacado111 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:20 pm

gladiator wrote:

mmm... cheseburger paradise :) for burgers... BEST BURGERS EVER when I visted.

Also, lime and leaf is the best thai food I have ever tasted in my life...

memaha

Postby memaha » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:05 am

avacado111 wrote:

THANK GOD there is good thai. So neccessary :)

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:13 am

memaha wrote:
avacado111 wrote:

THANK GOD there is good thai. So neccessary :)

That would be nice. I have heard from one of my high school friends currently living in VA that the Mexican food pales in comparison to what I'm used to in Texas (Vanwinkle actually confirmed this). Good thai food would be a decent consolation.

thepunisher24

Postby thepunisher24 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:21 am

SweetnessUVA wrote:

Played my entire life as well, I want in on this all-star team

jerichogringo

Postby jerichogringo » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:21 am

174 and 2.9 here. I want UVA so badly, no doubt it is my dream school. So after having been in review for two months I finally decided to submit the ED contract. They should have received it today. Am I in or out? Any predictions?

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:25 am

jerichogringo wrote:174 and 2.9 here. I want UVA so badly, no doubt it is my dream school. So after having been in review for two months I finally decided to submit the ED contract. They should have received it today. Am I in or out? Any predictions?

Hard to say this late in the game, but decent chance.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:38 am

jerichogringo wrote:174 and 2.9 here. I want UVA so badly, no doubt it is my dream school. So after having been in review for two months I finally decided to submit the ED contract. They should have received it today. Am I in or out? Any predictions?

Most of the seats that UVA has to give have been given out already. With a GPA that low it's going to be a very tough case for you to make, you'd better have a really impressive story. On the other hand, they may WL you, and it continues to sound like they'll actually need people off the WL this year, so if you're willing to wait on the WL instead of withdraw like many are doing, that may work to your advantage over the summer.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:40 am

Good Luck to you.

As an aside, why do people constantly state that "a school is my overwhelming number 1 choice or my dream school" yet not pull the trigger on ED when their number clearly dictate that to be their only chance?

jerichogringo

Postby jerichogringo » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:13 am

jawsthegreat wrote:

Good Luck to you.

As an aside, why do people constantly state that "a school is my overwhelming number 1 choice or my dream school" yet not pull the trigger on ED when their number clearly dictate that to be their only chance?

I am sure there are many reasons and they vary for each individual. For me, two months ago (when I applied) I was uncertain that, for serious family reasons, I would be able to move from my home state to Virginia. No matter how badly I wanted to, it would have been irresponsible of me to apply ED to UVA at that time but I also could wait no longer to submit my application. Those problems have been resolved and now I can move so only now could I apply ED.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:20 am

vanwinkle wrote: On the other hand, they may WL you, and it continues to sound like they'll actually need people off the WL this year, so if you're willing to wait on the WL instead of withdraw like many are doing, that may work to your advantage over the summer.

Just curious, but why does it look like they will be pulling folks off the WL? On the surface, I would think there would be less folks off the WL since there have been so many ED applicants accepted. But maybe they have WLed more folks than usual and for RD have just accepted people above both medians. Is that the case?

To answer JG's question, I really have no idea. Based on a few cases from this site, it seems like reverse splitters have been doing better during this ED extension period even though classic splitters were doing well ED early in the cycle.

SweetnessUVA

Postby SweetnessUVA » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:22 am

thepunisher24 wrote:
SweetnessUVA wrote:

Played my entire life as well, I want in on this all-star team

Up to five, considering Doritos can play. Need the girls though - three a team.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:29 am

jerichogringo wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:

Good Luck to you.

I am sure there are many reasons and they vary for each individual. For me, two months ago (when I applied) I was uncertain that, for serious family reasons, I would be able to move from my home state to Virginia. No matter how badly I wanted to, it would have been irresponsible of me to apply ED to UVA at that time but I also could wait no longer to submit my application. Those problems have been resolved and now I can move so only now could I apply ED.

Fair enough, like I said earlier. Good Luck.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:41 am

SweetnessUVA wrote:

So it sounds like this summer I need to focus on either
1. OL gunning prep (E&E's)
2. Relaxing month long vacation (Thailand, Australia)
3. Hardcore Softball training

Just kidding. I wish I was good enough to play with you guys. I quit baseball when I was 12 but played on an A league softball team a couple of years back and wound up moving from LCF to RCF before settling at catcher despite being the most athletic person on the team, which obviously says something about my ability in the field. So if you want to forgo the softball norm of having a big slow guy that can rake at catcher in favor of a quick skinny guy that hits infield singles and gets on base, I'm your man.

Now if some folks here are interested in an intramural law school hoops squad, that's a different story.

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:01 am

Stringer Bell wrote:
SweetnessUVA wrote:

So it sounds like this summer I need to focus on either
1. OL gunning prep (E&E's)
2. Relaxing month long vacation (Thailand, Australia)
3. Hardcore Softball training

Just kidding. I wish I was good enough to play with you guys. I quit baseball when I was 12 but played on an A league softball team a couple of years back and wound up moving from LCF to RCF before settling at catcher despite being the most athletic person on the team, which obviously says something about my ability in the field. So if you want to forgo the softball norm of having a big slow guy that can rake at catcher in favor of a quick skinny guy that hits infield singles and gets on base, I'm your man.

Now if some folks here are interested in an intramural law school hoops squad, that's a different story.

If you do #1, I'm going to find you from facebook/TLS stalking, hunt you down, and slap you in the face. Then I'm going to steal all your outlines.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:39 am

Stringer Bell wrote:Now if some folks here are interested in an intramural law school hoops squad, that's a different story.

I quit growing at 6' and my brother is the one with the natural shot, but I can bang still bang in the paint. :)

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:44 am

Stringer Bell wrote:Just curious, but why does it look like they will be pulling folks off the WL? On the surface, I would think there would be less folks off the WL since there have been so many ED applicants accepted. But maybe they have WLed more folks than usual and for RD have just accepted people above both medians. Is that the case?

Everything I've heard indicates they're intentionally underenrolling this year to avoid the problem they've had with overenrolling the last two years in a row. Then they're going to make up the difference by going to the WL once the first seat deposit deadline has passed and they have a clearer picture of how many actual acceptances they've gotten.

The fact that there are more EDs is helping, but predicting the percentage of matriculation for RDers is still an inexact science and they're trying to avoid being off estimates there, and it's not like it's a class full of nothing but EDs.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”