UVA Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Paratiel

New

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Post by Paratiel » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:52 pm

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I think I will take cavalier's advice and just plane-hop from Seattle to Atlanta to Charlottesville. Since I have to fly in the day before, what hotels are closest to the law school?

On another note, is it worthwhile extending the stay through Saturday, 4/10? It seems like there will only be a softball match, but all of you might be aware of other events or activities.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:43 am

Paratiel wrote:Thanks for all of the suggestions. I think I will take cavalier's advice and just plane-hop from Seattle to Atlanta to Charlottesville. Since I have to fly in the day before, what hotels are closest to the law school?

On another note, is it worthwhile extending the stay through Saturday, 4/10? It seems like there will only be a softball match, but all of you might be aware of other events or activities.
Re: the "softball match", it's the UVA Law Softball Invitational where we're hosting 112 teams from a bunch of different law schools for what is one of the best weekends of the year in my opinion. There's a BBQ and bar night so it's pretty great if that's your thing. Also that weekend current #1 baseball team in the nation UVA is taking on Georgia Tech on Fri, Sat, and Sun. I don't think there are any formal admissions events after Friday though.

Re: hotels. Cavalier Inn is very close but it kinda sucks so if you have a car for the weekend, I'd recommend elsewhere. Holiday Inn is pretty close, maybe 5 min drive.

slider

Bronze

Post by slider » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:14 am

Paratiel wrote: On another note, is it worthwhile extending the stay through Saturday, 4/10? It seems like there will only be a softball match, but all of you might be aware of other events or activities.
This is a list of hotels within 3 miles of the law school.

http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/inside ... tels.htm#3

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:10 am

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I think I will take cavalier's advice and just plane-hop from Seattle to Atlanta to Charlottesville. Since I have to fly in the day before, what hotels are closest to the law school?
I think there's an Econo Lodge that's within a reasonable distance from the law school. That's probably the cheapest option. Last year I stayed at a Days Inn, which was maybe a 30 minute walk away, but there were a couple areas with no crosswalks, so I wouldn't recommend it.

slider

Bronze

Post by slider » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:44 pm

Some law schools provide free access to vault. Does UVa offer this? Just trying to figure out if I should renew my subscription.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jnorsky

Bronze

Post by jnorsky » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:56 pm

They have to, im sure they also give free access to a lot of other career resources.

virginiagirl55

New

Post by virginiagirl55 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:06 pm

Philo38 wrote:
SweetnessUVA wrote:
slider wrote:
Philo38 wrote:Just wondering:has anybody gone up to Massanutten? Do you know of any law students who do go up there?

From what it looks like, it is only 1 hour and 15 min away from Charlottesville. I don't really have the money, and likely won't have the time, to go very often. Still, the thought of living just an hour away from snowboarding is really exciting.
wow. I just googled Massanutten. I had no idea this was so close to UVa. Exciting indeed. Thanks for sharing.
I've skied there before and can tell you that's its a VERY small mountain. Two "black" runs (which are the same as easy blues out west - honestly), a handful of "blue" runs (which are beginners type runs) and a terrain park. Add that with it being very close to a bunch of colleges also means that the lines are long for these runs. The terrain park isn't bad, but don't expect to do any skiing on the runs for longer than 20 minutes and not get bored.
Yeah, I expected as much. That's dissapointing. Its still exciting though.
i mean, this is virginia. obviously the skiiing is subpar, but better than nothing.

Paratiel

New

Post by Paratiel » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:07 pm

Thank you for the helpful responses, Cavalier, Slider and Gladiator.

Gladiator, I'm sorry for calling the invitational "only a softball match." I did not realize that it is such a large event. Thanks for clarifying!

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:12 pm

slider wrote:Some law schools provide free access to vault. Does UVa offer this? Just trying to figure out if I should renew my subscription.
yes

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:40 pm

Paratiel wrote:Thanks for all of the suggestions. I think I will take cavalier's advice and just plane-hop from Seattle to Atlanta to Charlottesville. Since I have to fly in the day before, what hotels are closest to the law school?

You might want to look into a priceline hotel + flight combo. You will know your hotel but your flight will be a mystery until after you book it. I got 3 nights at the Holiday Inn and my flight for about $500 while most of the flights I had looked at were about $400 alone.

Philo38

Bronze

Post by Philo38 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:10 pm

virginiagirl55 wrote:
i mean, this is virginia. obviously the skiiing is subpar, but better than nothing.
Exactly. I'm terrible at it anyway . . . for now . . .

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:13 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
slider wrote:Some law schools provide free access to vault. Does UVa offer this? Just trying to figure out if I should renew my subscription.
yes
Where do I get it?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:23 pm

Cavalier wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
yes
Where do I get it?
Career Services?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:41 pm

Some good news to put some of your minds at ease. We now have enough host volunteers that anyone who applied for one on or before the 2/20 deadline for the March ASW will have a host. We have enough to accommodate a few of those that applied after 2/20 so we're still working on finding people. The waitlist is down to around 10 though at the moment.

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:19 pm

ED'ed Saturday. In this morning.

Looks like I belong ITT.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:34 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:ED'ed Saturday. In this morning.

Looks like I belong ITT.
Congrats!

FeuerFrei

Bronze

Post by FeuerFrei » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:40 pm

Last edited by FeuerFrei on Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:43 pm

Cavalier wrote:

Looks like I belong ITT.
Congrats!
Thanks! I still can't believe it!

I bet the yield is stupid high.

michstudent10

Bronze

Post by michstudent10 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:49 pm

Looks like I belong ITT.
Congrats!!!!!!!! Looks like we're going to school together, numbers twin! I could not be more excited!

On another note, I'm currently visiting UVA and went by the law school today for the tour & student panel and everyone is SO nice. I met with both Faulk (he gave us the tour) and Dugas and my decision was completely made. The school is beautiful, the people are so nice, and I cannot wait to spend the next 3 years with all of you!! :) :)

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:19 pm

michstudent10 wrote:Congrats!!!!!!!! Looks like we're going to school together, numbers twin! I could not be more excited!

On another note, I'm currently visiting UVA and went by the law school today for the tour & student panel and everyone is SO nice. I met with both Faulk (he gave us the tour) and Dugas and my decision was completely made. The school is beautiful, the people are so nice, and I cannot wait to spend the next 3 years with all of you!! :) :)
Looks like I'll be in good company. :D

dgouzoul

Bronze

Post by dgouzoul » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:24 pm

cant wait to smash all of you in softball

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

michstudent10

Bronze

Post by michstudent10 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:45 pm

dgouzoul wrote:cant wait to smash all of you in softball
Haha I apologize in advance to the people in my future section for my complete lack of athletic ability... I may have to claim my position as the snack provider or cheerleader on the sidelines to avoid losing any friends :wink:

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:53 pm

Looking for some Charlottesville advice for my visit this weekend. I wanted to avoid bringing my parents to ASW because I'm not 17 anymore. Thus, my parents, girlfriend, and I are coming in this weekend just to poke around, see the area, and walk through the law school. What should we do to fill our 2 days up? So far I was thinking of visiting Monti Cello (sp?), just checking out the campus, rotunda, etc. and taking a peek at the law school. Other than that I don't really know the area at all so can you guys make some touristy suggestions? Places to eat, things to see, any events going on maybe.

avacado111

Bronze

Post by avacado111 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:05 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
michstudent10 wrote:Congrats!!!!!!!! Looks like we're going to school together, numbers twin! I could not be more excited!

wait, faulk gave you the tour of the law school? how long did it last?

michstudent10

Bronze

Post by michstudent10 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:42 pm

avacado111 wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:

wait, faulk gave you the tour of the law school? how long did it last?
Haha I probably should have explained... my parents & I got a little lost on the way so we were a few minutes late for the tour. The lady at the desk called up & the next thing we knew Faulk came down and offered to show us around. He is one of the nicest men I have ever met & I definitely recommend stopping in to meet either/both him & Jason Dugas. They answered any & all of our questions and definitely show how amazing of a school UVA really is. So excited!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”