UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
slider
Posts: 368
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:35 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby slider » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:01 am

Kind of glad I won't be living at the Ivy now. That is all.

User avatar
ogman05
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:02 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby ogman05 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:38 am

slider wrote:Kind of glad I won't be living at the Ivy now. That is all.


lol.. Come to Jeffers ftw.

User avatar
Philo38
Posts: 344
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:21 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Philo38 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:14 pm

SweetnessUVA wrote:Guess who got their Ivy apartment all booked? 1-bedroom with patio and fireplace, overlooking the pool.

So ladies, when you're out tanning at the Ivy pool, please don't be concerned about the slightly overweight guy, wearing a robe, watching you, all while he's playing with his belly button lint.


Like a real wood burning fireplace? God, I would love that.

User avatar
Philo38
Posts: 344
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:21 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Philo38 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:18 pm

Just wondering:has anybody gone up to Massanutten? Do you know of any law students who do go up there?

From what it looks like, it is only 1 hour and 15 min away from Charlottesville. I don't really have the money, and likely won't have the time, to go very often. Still, the thought of living just an hour away from snowboarding is really exciting.

slider
Posts: 368
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:35 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby slider » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:26 pm

Philo38 wrote:Just wondering:has anybody gone up to Massanutten? Do you know of any law students who do go up there?

From what it looks like, it is only 1 hour and 15 min away from Charlottesville. I don't really have the money, and likely won't have the time, to go very often. Still, the thought of living just an hour away from snowboarding is really exciting.


wow. I just googled Massanutten. I had no idea this was so close to UVa. Exciting indeed. Thanks for sharing.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:28 pm

..

Lady LaLa
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:59 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Lady LaLa » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:54 pm

Massanutten has a waterpark, too!!!!!!!!!! I'm ridicuously happy about this!

User avatar
Philo38
Posts: 344
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:21 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Philo38 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:07 pm

I mean, they have night skiing. You can go up there and snowboard/ski from 5pm-10pm for really good prices. The thought of snowboarding and coming home the same night is fundamentally wierd to me; I associate it with vacation.

jtang11
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:30 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby jtang11 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:20 pm

Philo38 wrote:I mean, they have night skiing. You can go up there and snowboard/ski from 5pm-10pm for really good prices. The thought of snowboarding and coming home the same night is fundamentally wierd to me; I associate it with vacation.


Awesome. If I end up going to UVA, I'll be sure to bring my snowboard. So I can look at it when I come home from the library at 11 pm every night.

virginiagirl55
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:31 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby virginiagirl55 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:11 pm

Philo38 wrote:I mean, they have night skiing. You can go up there and snowboard/ski from 5pm-10pm for really good prices. The thought of snowboarding and coming home the same night is fundamentally wierd to me; I associate it with vacation.


Night skiing there is awesome. I used to go all the time when I was little and in high school. It really is cheap, especially in the off season, and a total blast. I hope I'll be able to make some time (and find some cash) to go next year. I also think its closer than an hour and fifteen... id see more like 45-1 hour, but I might be off.

oneforship
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:17 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby oneforship » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:16 pm

virginiagirl55 wrote:
Philo38 wrote:I mean, they have night skiing. You can go up there and snowboard/ski from 5pm-10pm for really good prices. The thought of snowboarding and coming home the same night is fundamentally wierd to me; I associate it with vacation.


Night skiing there is awesome. I used to go all the time when I was little and in high school. It really is cheap, especially in the off season, and a total blast. I hope I'll be able to make some time (and find some cash) to go next year. I also think its closer than an hour and fifteen... id see more like 45-1 hour, but I might be off.


I actually might be going there this weekend.

laranelly1503
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:52 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby laranelly1503 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:49 pm

Any thoughts on how necessary it is to have a car at UVA? I don't currently have a car and would rather not buy one...

slider
Posts: 368
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:35 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby slider » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:03 pm

I can't believe ASW is 3 weeks from today! I feel like a kid counting down to Christmas day. :D

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19668
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby dailygrind » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:12 pm

laranelly1503 wrote:Any thoughts on how necessary it is to have a car at UVA? I don't currently have a car and would rather not buy one...


If you're within walking distance of the school and the shopping center, I don't see why you'd need a car.

User avatar
ogman05
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:02 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby ogman05 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:39 pm

slider wrote:I can't believe ASW is 3 weeks from today! I feel like a kid counting down to Christmas day. :D


20 days for me. I have a counter in my iphone to arrival date. :D

SweetnessUVA
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:08 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby SweetnessUVA » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:58 pm

slider wrote:
Philo38 wrote:Just wondering:has anybody gone up to Massanutten? Do you know of any law students who do go up there?

From what it looks like, it is only 1 hour and 15 min away from Charlottesville. I don't really have the money, and likely won't have the time, to go very often. Still, the thought of living just an hour away from snowboarding is really exciting.


wow. I just googled Massanutten. I had no idea this was so close to UVa. Exciting indeed. Thanks for sharing.


I've skied there before and can tell you that's its a VERY small mountain. Two "black" runs (which are the same as easy blues out west - honestly), a handful of "blue" runs (which are beginners type runs) and a terrain park. Add that with it being very close to a bunch of colleges also means that the lines are long for these runs. The terrain park isn't bad, but don't expect to do any skiing on the runs for longer than 20 minutes and not get bored.

User avatar
Philo38
Posts: 344
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:21 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Philo38 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:19 pm

SweetnessUVA wrote:
slider wrote:
Philo38 wrote:Just wondering:has anybody gone up to Massanutten? Do you know of any law students who do go up there?

From what it looks like, it is only 1 hour and 15 min away from Charlottesville. I don't really have the money, and likely won't have the time, to go very often. Still, the thought of living just an hour away from snowboarding is really exciting.


wow. I just googled Massanutten. I had no idea this was so close to UVa. Exciting indeed. Thanks for sharing.


I've skied there before and can tell you that's its a VERY small mountain. Two "black" runs (which are the same as easy blues out west - honestly), a handful of "blue" runs (which are beginners type runs) and a terrain park. Add that with it being very close to a bunch of colleges also means that the lines are long for these runs. The terrain park isn't bad, but don't expect to do any skiing on the runs for longer than 20 minutes and not get bored.


Yeah, I expected as much. That's dissapointing. Its still exciting though.

slider
Posts: 368
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:35 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby slider » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:26 pm

Philo38 wrote:
SweetnessUVA wrote:
slider wrote:
Philo38 wrote:Just wondering:has anybody gone up to Massanutten? Do you know of any law students who do go up there?

From what it looks like, it is only 1 hour and 15 min away from Charlottesville. I don't really have the money, and likely won't have the time, to go very often. Still, the thought of living just an hour away from snowboarding is really exciting.


wow. I just googled Massanutten. I had no idea this was so close to UVa. Exciting indeed. Thanks for sharing.


I've skied there before and can tell you that's its a VERY small mountain. Two "black" runs (which are the same as easy blues out west - honestly), a handful of "blue" runs (which are beginners type runs) and a terrain park. Add that with it being very close to a bunch of colleges also means that the lines are long for these runs. The terrain park isn't bad, but don't expect to do any skiing on the runs for longer than 20 minutes and not get bored.


Yeah, I expected as much. That's dissapointing. Its still exciting though.


I've never gone skiing before. I'd get excited with a small hill.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Kohinoor » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:48 pm

dailygrind wrote:
laranelly1503 wrote:Any thoughts on how necessary it is to have a car at UVA? I don't currently have a car and would rather not buy one...


If you're within walking distance of the school and the shopping center, I don't see why you'd need a car.

Even if you're not, the bus does stop directly in front of the law school.

SweetnessUVA
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:08 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby SweetnessUVA » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:19 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
dailygrind wrote:
laranelly1503 wrote:Any thoughts on how necessary it is to have a car at UVA? I don't currently have a car and would rather not buy one...


If you're within walking distance of the school and the shopping center, I don't see why you'd need a car.

Even if you're not, the bus does stop directly in front of the law school.


And cabs stop directly in front of your door.

User avatar
Paratiel
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:00 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Paratiel » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:21 pm

Hi,

I decided it is time to stop free-riding and begin contributing to this site. I was accepted to UVA in December and now feel there is a high chance that I will be there in the fall.

Does anyone know the best method for traveling from Seattle to Charlottesville for the April ASW? From what I can tell, renting a car and driving from Richmond is the most feasible (I would be willing to split the cost with someone making a similar trip.) Any input on this would be great.

Thanks!

SweetnessUVA
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:08 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby SweetnessUVA » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:47 pm

Paratiel wrote:Hi,

I decided it is time to stop free-riding and begin contributing to this site. I was accepted to UVA in December and now feel there is a high chance that I will be there in the fall.

Does anyone know the best method for traveling from Seattle to Charlottesville for the April ASW? From what I can tell, renting a car and driving from Richmond is the most feasible (I would be willing to split the cost with someone making a similar trip.) Any input on this would be great.

Thanks!


Depends on how much you're taking. Another option is flying into DC (which would potentially be much cheaper) and taking the Amtrak down to C-Ville.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:07 pm

SweetnessUVA wrote:Depends on how much you're taking. Another option is flying into DC (which would potentially be much cheaper) and taking the Amtrak down to C-Ville.

The train doesn't run to Dulles, so this would require flying into Reagan, which has fewer options and is usually more expensive. Also, there are only a couple trains that run from DC to Charlottesville every day, and if you don't give yourself enough time from when your flight lands to get aboard your train (or if your flight ends up significantly late, which happens) you could end up missing the last train of the day and be screwed.

I'm not saying this isn't an option, just one that should be exercised very carefully. Personally I flew into Dulles and rented a car for ASW last spring. I think flying into either Dulles or Richmond and driving is a good option with pros and cons for each (Dulles may be cheaper from Seattle, you might more easily find someone flying into Dulles to drive with you since it's popular, Richmond is a shorter driving distance).

oneforship
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:17 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby oneforship » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:08 pm

Amtrak will run from BWI, if you want to check that out as well.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Cavalier » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:26 pm

Paratiel wrote:Hi,

I decided it is time to stop free-riding and begin contributing to this site. I was accepted to UVA in December and now feel there is a high chance that I will be there in the fall.

Does anyone know the best method for traveling from Seattle to Charlottesville for the April ASW? From what I can tell, renting a car and driving from Richmond is the most feasible (I would be willing to split the cost with someone making a similar trip.) Any input on this would be great.

Thanks!

I'm from Seattle and I've had to make this flight several times. I've had success finding flights using Kayak.com. You can get to Charlottesville's airport from DC (Dulles), Atlanta, Charlotte, Philadelphia, and Detroit, so if you can get a direct flight to one of those cities the trip is tolerable. Best case scenario it's 8-9 hours, but you may have a longer layover.

I think the roundtrip ticket cost me $390 in March last year when I went to ASD, and $500 when I returned home for Christmas break last year (but I got it later than I should have).

Glad to see another Seattleite considering UVA. Good luck!




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest