UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
ogman05
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:02 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby ogman05 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:27 pm

This is what I have been wondering. I booked my ticket to fly in thurs morning leave saturday morning because only flight sunday was at night. Now one opened in the morning. What exactly is to be missed in those extra 24 hours. We will be there for the next 3 years. Convince me to switch my ticket.

User avatar
Wi11iam
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:53 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Wi11iam » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:27 pm

What topics is everyone thinking of choosing for the curricular sessions at ASD?

My picks are

Business and Corporate Law
Clinical Programs
International Law and Human Rights
Constitutional Law and Civil Rights Law

But since we can only attend 3, I'm torn between which of the last two to do. I think the clinical programs session will be really useful.

What are others interested in?

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby flyingpanda » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:42 pm

michstudent10 wrote:
whattodo2008 wrote:
jmaan wrote:
aznflyingpanda wrote:Hey guys, I'm signed up for the April ASW. The events last until Friday, but are there people planning to stay on Saturday? I was thinking of flying back on Sunday, if there's stuff to do in town or people to hang out with.



i'll be doing the same in april too


Me too. I just felt that I'd be selling myself short if I left on a Saturday.


So the consensus is to fly in Thursday & leave Sunday? Anyone find any good hotel rates?

Haha from the sound of this thread its gonna be a fun weekend. Do you think that the majority of people who attend ASWs are planning on attending in the fall?


I signed up for a student host, so I won't be looking for a hotel. The majority of TLS people are attending I believe. Don't know about the non TLS people.

whattodo2008
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:29 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby whattodo2008 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:35 pm

ogman05 wrote:This is what I have been wondering. I booked my ticket to fly in thurs morning leave saturday morning because only flight sunday was at night. Now one opened in the morning. What exactly is to be missed in those extra 24 hours. We will be there for the next 3 years. Convince me to switch my ticket.


Well I just hear that spring in cVille is great. I'm looking at this as more of a vacation than anything else, so for me, one extra day of mingling and Saturday night debauchery is well worth it. :-)

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby flyingpanda » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:40 pm

TLS meetup one of the nights? :) :) :)

slider
Posts: 368
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:35 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby slider » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:42 pm

I signed up for a student host kind of late so I still don't have a student host. :?

I reserved a hotel as a back up.

User avatar
gladiator
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 12:40 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby gladiator » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: student hosts

So far the demand for the March ASW has been way higher than for April. There are 66 host requests for March vs. just 25 for April. If you signed up for March and haven't heard anything yet then your host just hasn't gotten to it yet or you might not have one yet but we're working on it tirelessly I assure you. So far 45 hosts have been assigned for March. Those March attendees that filled out the form on or before 2/20 are being assigned on a best fit basis, those that filled out the form after the deadline will get a host first come, first serve in the interest of fairness. None of the April hosts have been notified yet and the demand is much lower so, so far at least, April shouldn't be a problem. Last year the demand was about 40 for each weekend so it's made the process more difficult.

User avatar
ogman05
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:02 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby ogman05 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:01 pm

gladiator wrote:Re: student hosts

So far the demand for the March ASW has been way higher than for April. There are 66 host requests for March vs. just 25 for April. If you signed up for March and haven't heard anything yet then your host just hasn't gotten to it yet or you might not have one yet but we're working on it tirelessly I assure you. So far 45 hosts have been assigned for March. Those March attendees that filled out the form on or before 2/20 are being assigned on a best fit basis, those that filled out the form after the deadline will get a host first come, first serve in the interest of fairness. None of the April hosts have been notified yet and the demand is much lower so, so far at least, April shouldn't be a problem. Last year the demand was about 40 for each weekend so it's made the process more difficult.

woot woot.. PArty in March.

User avatar
michstudent10
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:49 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby michstudent10 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:58 pm

random question - how dog friendly is Charlottesville generally? do many 1L's have dogs? if so, does anyone know of the best place to live as a dog owner?

avacado111
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:49 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby avacado111 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:00 pm

michstudent10 wrote:random question - how dog friendly is Charlottesville generally? do many 1L's have dogs? if so, does anyone know of the best place to live as a dog owner?


a mich student talking in a uva thread? shame....

User avatar
michstudent10
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:49 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby michstudent10 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:33 pm

avacado111 wrote:
michstudent10 wrote:random question - how dog friendly is Charlottesville generally? do many 1L's have dogs? if so, does anyone know of the best place to live as a dog owner?


a mich student talking in a uva thread? shame....


Haha a Michigan student in undergrad, thank you very much. Looking forward to getting out of Ann Arbor!

User avatar
Chromakey
Posts: 89
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:29 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Chromakey » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:42 pm

michstudent10 wrote:random question - how dog friendly is Charlottesville generally? do many 1L's have dogs? if so, does anyone know of the best place to live as a dog owner?


I am also curious about this. I have two dogs (one of which is a pit mix) and am worried about finding a place that will take both of them.

pilotgal
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:48 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby pilotgal » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:41 pm

Chromakey wrote:
michstudent10 wrote:random question - how dog friendly is Charlottesville generally? do many 1L's have dogs? if so, does anyone know of the best place to live as a dog owner?


I am also curious about this. I have two dogs (one of which is a pit mix) and am worried about finding a place that will take both of them.


I have two dogs as well (Siberian Huskies) and I found Charlottesville apartments to be much easier to deal with than the Seattle apartments. When my husband and I moved to Seattle, we were surprised to find how many apartments wouldn't allow huskies. I didn't find the same to be true in Charlottesville. However, you may have problems with a pit mix. During my research, I did find breed restrictions at several places and those usually included pit, rott, and chows.

Most places seem to only allow two pets max. We have a cat too, but since my husband won't be moving to Charlottesville, he's going to keep the cat with him, so it's not a big deal to us. We toured several dog friendly apartments when we were in Charlottesville about a month ago, so let me know if you want to know about any of them. My favorite was Jefferson Ridge because they have a great fenced dog park on-site. (A definite plus because my dogs are used to a yard.) That said, I am hoping to live in the Jeffersonian so I can just walk to school.

I called ahead to each one to make sure we didn't waste too much time if they wouldn't allow my Siberians, but in general I found that most of the information was on websites.

User avatar
michstudent10
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:49 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby michstudent10 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:45 pm

pilotgal wrote:
Chromakey wrote:
michstudent10 wrote:random question - how dog friendly is Charlottesville generally? do many 1L's have dogs? if so, does anyone know of the best place to live as a dog owner?


I am also curious about this. I have two dogs (one of which is a pit mix) and am worried about finding a place that will take both of them.


I have two dogs as well (Siberian Huskies) and I found Charlottesville apartments to be much easier to deal with than the Seattle apartments. When my husband and I moved to Seattle, we were surprised to find how many apartments wouldn't allow huskies. I didn't find the same to be true in Charlottesville. However, you may have problems with a pit mix. During my research, I did find breed restrictions at several places and those usually included pit, rott, and chows.

Most places seem to only allow two pets max. We have a cat too, but since my husband won't be moving to Charlottesville, he's going to keep the cat with him, so it's not a big deal to us. We toured several dog friendly apartments when we were in Charlottesville about a month ago, so let me know if you want to know about any of them. My favorite was Jefferson Ridge because they have a great fenced dog park on-site. (A definite plus because my dogs are used to a yard.) That said, I am hoping to live in the Jeffersonian so I can just walk to school.

I called ahead to each one to make sure we didn't waste too much time if they wouldn't allow my Siberians, but in general I found that most of the information was on websites.


Thank you so much, that's really helpful!! Especially because my favorite dogs tend to be the big guys (i.e. Newfoundlands, St. Bernards, etc.) so no breed restrictions is definitely a good thing! I was thinking about adopting an adult rescue next year so it'd be great to be able to leave that option open. I'd love to see a list of those apartments if you still have it - haha I'm also hoping to see your huskies around campus next year :D

pilotgal
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:48 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby pilotgal » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:49 pm

michstudent10 wrote:
Thank you so much, that's really helpful!! Especially because my favorite dogs tend to be the big guys (i.e. Newfoundlands, St. Bernards, etc.) so no breed restrictions is definitely a good thing! I was thinking about adopting an adult rescue next year so it'd be great to be able to leave that option open. I'd love to see a list of those apartments if you still have it - haha I'm also hoping to see your huskies around campus next year :D


I'm sure you'll see them around. I'm not much of the athletic type, so I figure the pups can be the team mascots or something. They went to the Olympics last week, so surely a little UVA softball will be no problem. :-)

I'll post something about the apartments in a bit. I want to find my notebook where I wrote everything down. I'm not sure what I did with it after the trip.

User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1920
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:15 am

pilotgal wrote:
michstudent10 wrote:
Thank you so much, that's really helpful!! Especially because my favorite dogs tend to be the big guys (i.e. Newfoundlands, St. Bernards, etc.) so no breed restrictions is definitely a good thing! I was thinking about adopting an adult rescue next year so it'd be great to be able to leave that option open. I'd love to see a list of those apartments if you still have it - haha I'm also hoping to see your huskies around campus next year :D


I'm sure you'll see them around. I'm not much of the athletic type, so I figure the pups can be the team mascots or something. They went to the Olympics last week, so surely a little UVA softball will be no problem. :-)

I'll post something about the apartments in a bit. I want to find my notebook where I wrote everything down. I'm not sure what I did with it after the trip.


That would be helpful. Thanks. I've got a big, bad pug rollin' with me to Cville.

pilotgal
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:48 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby pilotgal » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:17 am

Here is the information on the dog friendly apartments that I looked at.

Jefferson Ridge:
Has a 0.5 acre fully fenced dog park. Not a huge dog park, but it looked nice and the fence looked very secure (good condition, no gaps). The apartments were nice, washer and dryer included. Everything is included in the rent except electricity (even cable and internet). The 1 bedroom is $1095, so on the pricey side. The complex was nice and had a nice workout room (by my standards anyway). Some of the apartments had great views because part of the complex is up on a hill. Also, no monthly pet rent or weight restrictions.

Abbington Crossing
They say that they have a fenced dog park, but the fence is probably about 3-4 feet tall and the park is so small that I don't think my dogs could even get up to a trot in it. So it's not much of a park unless you have a tiny dog. We saw both remodeled and unremodeled apartments. They were both okay. Washer and dryers were included. They allow up to three pets. I didn't think this was a bad complex, but the complex itself doesn't look as good as it does on their website.

North Wood at the Four Seasons
We didn't actually get to look at any apartments here because they weren't showing due to the snow. However, the entries to each apartment has fencing around it and for some floorplans, you could get a gate (the property manager said people sometimes do this) and totally enclose it for your dog. I didn't think the complex looked very well maintained though, so I took it off my list.

Cambridge Square
This complex is actually townhomes. We ran out of time to tour them but we did drive through the parking lot to check it out. I was interested in this complex because each unit has a fully fenced patio area. The patio areas didn't look too big, but could be useful in the middle of the night when your dog wants out and you don't want to go out with them. The outside of the units looked okay. The unremodeled two bedroom units are under $900 so I thought that was reasonable, but like I said, I have no idea what they actually look like inside.

Jeffersonian
I didn't get to tour anything at the Jeffersonian, but I have talked to the property manager about pets. They allow two, must be under 50 pounds each. If they are above 20 (maybe 25) pounds, you have to live on the ground floor. My dogs are going to just barely squeak by under the 50 pound limit. (The boy weighed 50.7 pounds at the vet in December; the girl is a couple pounds under. I hope they don't make me weigh them prior to giving me the keys.) I'm #9 on the waiting list there, so I'm fairly confident that I'll get something, but like many have mentioned if you're not on the list yet, you are probably not going to get anything.

All of the apartments (besides the Jeffersonian) are not within walking distance of the school. I can't really speak to any of the neighborhood as far as safety or anything and I don't know anyone who lives in any of these places, so I also don't know what kind of reputations the places have. There are other pet friendly places that are more expensive, so if you have a roommate (or a big budget) it might open up some other possibilities.

I hope this helps!
Last edited by pilotgal on Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

pilotgal
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:48 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby pilotgal » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:18 am

Stringer Bell wrote:
pilotgal wrote:
michstudent10 wrote:
Thank you so much, that's really helpful!! Especially because my favorite dogs tend to be the big guys (i.e. Newfoundlands, St. Bernards, etc.) so no breed restrictions is definitely a good thing! I was thinking about adopting an adult rescue next year so it'd be great to be able to leave that option open. I'd love to see a list of those apartments if you still have it - haha I'm also hoping to see your huskies around campus next year :D


I'm sure you'll see them around. I'm not much of the athletic type, so I figure the pups can be the team mascots or something. They went to the Olympics last week, so surely a little UVA softball will be no problem. :-)

I'll post something about the apartments in a bit. I want to find my notebook where I wrote everything down. I'm not sure what I did with it after the trip.


That would be helpful. Thanks. I've got a big, bad pug rollin' with me to Cville.


There are some other places besides the ones I mentioned that allow either one pet or small dogs only, so you might have some more options. I focused on places that allowed two ~50 pounders.

User avatar
michstudent10
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:49 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby michstudent10 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:16 am

pilotgal wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:
pilotgal wrote:
michstudent10 wrote:
Thank you so much, that's really helpful!! Especially because my favorite dogs tend to be the big guys (i.e. Newfoundlands, St. Bernards, etc.) so no breed restrictions is definitely a good thing! I was thinking about adopting an adult rescue next year so it'd be great to be able to leave that option open. I'd love to see a list of those apartments if you still have it - haha I'm also hoping to see your huskies around campus next year :D


I'm sure you'll see them around. I'm not much of the athletic type, so I figure the pups can be the team mascots or something. They went to the Olympics last week, so surely a little UVA softball will be no problem. :-)

I'll post something about the apartments in a bit. I want to find my notebook where I wrote everything down. I'm not sure what I did with it after the trip.


That would be helpful. Thanks. I've got a big, bad pug rollin' with me to Cville.


There are some other places besides the ones I mentioned that allow either one pet or small dogs only, so you might have some more options. I focused on places that allowed two ~50 pounders.


I'm heading out to C'ville next week so I will definitely check all of those places out - thank you for typing all of that out and I'm so excited to meet all of your dogs (and you of course haha)

User avatar
Chromakey
Posts: 89
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:29 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Chromakey » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:37 pm

pilotgal wrote:Here is the information on the dog friendly apartments that I looked at.


Wow pilotgal, thanks for posting! Always nice to see another Husky lover :D

User avatar
Philo38
Posts: 344
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:21 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Philo38 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:21 pm

They allow two, must be under 50 pounds each.


Wow. That is a pretty darn lenient pet policy at the Jeffersonian. My 20 pounder shouldn't bother them at all. (If they let me in!)

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby flyingpanda » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:27 pm

I'm thiiiiiis close to securing my apartment for next year. Not going to be at Ivy or the Jeffersonian though, you guys are going to have to invite me over so I don't feel all left out.

Wolverhoo
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:12 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Wolverhoo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:02 pm

This probably belongs in the applicant thread, as I have not yet decided on UVA 100%, but I received a packet in the mail today from the president of the UVA Law outdoors club with a welcome letter and copy of Blue Ridge Outdoors magazine. I mentioned that I like the outdoors on my resume...

I am impressed.

User avatar
dgouzoul
Posts: 244
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby dgouzoul » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:58 pm

jesus how many wolverine --> wahoos are there. i count atleast 3

User avatar
michstudent10
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:49 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby michstudent10 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:00 am

dgouzoul wrote:jesus how many wolverine --> wahoos are there. i count atleast 3


haha i'm assuming you say that with the utmost love for those of us making the transition ;)




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests