UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
dailygrind

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby dailygrind » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:18 am

Ha, what a coincidence. I'm number 27 this year. C'monnnnnnnnn luck!

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:31 am

YCrevolution wrote:
billyez wrote:When YCre said something to the effect it got me pretty scared, but each person who's asked the management there has said that they've heard it can go up to the 70's. Heck, that's the info I got when I applied.

It's definitely possible and depends on turnover. That said, I was #27 last year and was fourth-to-last to get any apartment (plus the couple of people decided not to move in at the last minute, although that means those apartments were only available at the last minute.)

dang. whats this "we went to 78 last year" business? i hope kathy isn't taking doritos for a ride...

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:46 pm

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:49 pm

Thx. That took the worry down a few notches.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:57 pm

Dean Perry just called me and had me explain why I had withdrawn from Chicago and was coming to UVA. It was a really uncomfortable phone call.

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:00 pm

5ky wrote:.

Really? Odd.
Last edited by oneforship on Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:12 pm

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:47 pm

5ky wrote:Dean Perry just called me and had me explain why I had withdrawn from Chicago and was coming to UVA. It was a really uncomfortable phone call.

Woh. Did he offer you anything?

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:51 pm

5ky wrote:Dean Perry just called me and had me explain why I had withdrawn from Chicago and was coming to UVA. It was a really uncomfortable phone call.

Wow.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:54 pm

Gangsta. I wouldn't travel alone at night if I were you.

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:56 pm

To be fair, it is a question worth asking.

slider

Postby slider » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:01 pm

D Brooks wrote:

Indeed. I'm sure he wanted to know if he lost you to HYS or to T10+$$$.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:04 pm

D Brooks wrote:

There are many questions worth asking that are impolitic. Why don't law schools call and ask "What is the minimum amount of money it would take to convince you to come here?"

5ky

Postby 5ky » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:32 pm

slider wrote:
D Brooks wrote:

Well, I told her (Dean of Admission Ann Perry), that UVA had offered me a generous scholarship and that I was accepting it. She immediately asked if UVA had put some sort of time restriction on it, which I guess is illegal. Of course they hadn't and I told her so, and she responded by telling me that Chicago was in the process of sending out their offers.

She never offered me money, but it was intimated that I would have gotten some from Chicago. I told her though that UVA had been my number 1 choice since the beginning and that the scholarship sealed the deal for me.

I'm sure that it is somewhat unusual for students who are accepted to Chicago to withdraw before hearing about merit aid money, but to be honest she seemed a little angry on the phone and I was a bit put off by it. Either way I look at it, I'm very happy with my decision to come to UVA.

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:39 pm

5ky wrote:
slider wrote:
D Brooks wrote:

Well, I told her (Dean of Admission Ann Perry), that UVA had offered me a generous scholarship and that I was accepting it. She immediately asked if UVA had put some sort of time restriction on it, which I guess is illegal. Of course they hadn't and I told her so, and she responded by telling me that Chicago was in the process of sending out their offers.

She never offered me money, but it was intimated that I would have gotten some from Chicago. I told her though that UVA had been my number 1 choice since the beginning and that the scholarship sealed the deal for me.

I'm sure that it is somewhat unusual for students who are accepted to Chicago to withdraw before hearing about merit aid money, but to be honest she seemed a little angry on the phone and I was a bit put off by it. Either way I look at it, I'm very happy with my decision to come to UVA.

thats gangster

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:42 pm

5ky wrote:I'm sure that it is somewhat unusual for students who are accepted to Chicago to withdraw before hearing about merit aid money, but to be honest she seemed a little angry on the phone and I was a bit put off by it. Either way I look at it, I'm very happy with my decision to come to UVA.

I sent Chicago an email asking if they would extend me a merit based fee waiver and the language in the response I got a couple of days later seemed like they were annoyed that I had asked.

slider

Postby slider » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:54 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
5ky wrote:I'm sure that it is somewhat unusual for students who are accepted to Chicago to withdraw before hearing about merit aid money, but to be honest she seemed a little angry on the phone and I was a bit put off by it. Either way I look at it, I'm very happy with my decision to come to UVA.

I sent Chicago an email asking if they would extend me a merit based fee waiver and the language in the response I got a couple of days later seemed like they were annoyed that I had asked.

Suddenly I am relieved that I never applied there. :roll:

Muckduck

Postby Muckduck » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:20 pm

jmaan wrote:Well, I told her (Dean of Admission Ann Perry), that UVA had offered me a generous scholarship and that I was accepting it. She immediately asked if UVA had put some sort of time restriction on it, which I guess is illegal.

What is the rationale in outlawing time restricted scholarships? Although that might put a lot of additional pressure on you, it seems like a perfectly legitimate way to lure students that want to come to your school and toss out those who don't...

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:34 pm

Muckduck wrote:
jmaan wrote:Well, I told her (Dean of Admission Ann Perry), that UVA had offered me a generous scholarship and that I was accepting it. She immediately asked if UVA had put some sort of time restriction on it, which I guess is illegal.

What is the rationale in outlawing time restricted scholarships? Although that might put a lot of additional pressure on you, it seems like a perfectly legitimate way to lure students that want to come to your school and toss out those who don't...

I'm kind of with you on this. In all honesty, if a school wants to call and say "We're offering full tuition but we need to know by the end of the day." they should be able to. Something similar actually happened to my cousin. He was looking to do ROTC and visited a school. After meeting the CO he was offered a full tuition scholarship, but was told the offer was only good for that day. He took it.

lilspainishflea

Postby lilspainishflea » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:38 am

Stringer Bell wrote:
Muckduck wrote:

I'm kind of with you on this. In all honesty, if a school wants to call and say "We're offering full tuition but we need to know by the end of the day." they should be able to. Something similar actually happened to my cousin. He was looking to do ROTC and visited a school. After meeting the CO he was offered a full tuition scholarship, but was told the offer was only good for that day. He took it.

A prudent choice.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:00 pm

Muckduck wrote:

Your perspective is skewed because you're in the top bracket of law school applicants with an unusually high level of leverage and savvy. There are many applicants going into this process with very limited knowledge who might easily be coerced with a conditional scholarship offer that is not ultimately in their best interest. The time restriction restriction ensures that people making bad decisions aren't aided in those bad decisions by artificial time constraints imposed by schools.

Muckduck

Postby Muckduck » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:18 pm

lilspainishflea wrote:Your perspective is skewed because you're in the top bracket of law school applicants with an unusually high level of leverage and savvy. There are many applicants going into this process with very limited knowledge who might easily be coerced with a conditional scholarship offer that is not ultimately in their best interest. The time restriction restriction ensures that people making bad decisions aren't aided in those bad decisions by artificial time constraints imposed by schools.

Come on, this is the law school application process. I am sure that there are plenty of TTTT+ applicants who are smarter than any of us on here. I see what you are saying, and I understand the desire to protect non-savvy (a.k.a. naive?) applicants in the application process. But doesn't such a restriction seem to assume a HIGH level idiocy in those people. Are those people really getting offered scholarships in the first place? Shouldn't a conscious group of policy makers want to discriminate (let alone protect) against people can't take care of themselves well enough at this stage in our lives to avoid being "coerced" if coercion is possible in the first place? Do those kind of people make responsible attorneys?

Doesn't such a restriction just favor those who waffle or are trying to play schools off of one another for higher scholarships? Why is the well being of potential students more important than the schools?

At the end of the day this discussion doesn't really matter I guess since I'm a 0L and not a legislator (!). Hopefully in three years we will be able to better understand why laws like this get put in place...

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:25 pm

Muckduck wrote:At the end of the day this discussion doesn't really matter I guess since I'm a 0L and not a legislator (!). Hopefully in three years we will be able to better understand why laws like this get put in place...

What laws? Schools aren't governed by laws concerning timing of scholarship offers as far as I'm aware. They are required by the ABA to keep acceptance offers open until at least April 1, but I don't believe that extends as far as scholarship offers, and even if it does, that's not a law but an ABA accreditation rule.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:34 pm

Muckduck wrote:
lilspainishflea wrote:Your perspective is skewed because you're in the top bracket of law school applicants with an unusually high level of leverage and savvy. There are many applicants going into this process with very limited knowledge who might easily be coerced with a conditional scholarship offer that is not ultimately in their best interest. The time restriction restriction ensures that people making bad decisions aren't aided in those bad decisions by artificial time constraints imposed by schools.

Come on, this is the law school application process. I am sure that there are plenty of TTTT+ applicants who are smarter than any of us on here. I see what you are saying, and I understand the desire to protect non-savvy (a.k.a. naive?) applicants in the application process. But doesn't such a restriction seem to assume a HIGH level idiocy in those people. Are those people really getting offered scholarships in the first place? Shouldn't a conscious group of policy makers want to discriminate (let alone protect) against people can't take care of themselves well enough at this stage in our lives to avoid being "coerced" if coercion is possible in the first place? Do those kind of people make responsible attorneys?

Doesn't such a restriction just favor those who waffle or are trying to play schools off of one another for higher scholarships? Why is the well being of potential students more important than the schools?

At the end of the day this discussion doesn't really matter I guess since I'm a 0L and not a legislator (!). Hopefully in three years we will be able to better understand why laws like this get put in place...
You should talk to some matriculates and really get a sense of how much they knew going into the process and how logical their decisions were. I'm not sure that we need any more rules to protect the well being of institutions with billion dollar endowments. The schools are going to be fine. Someone who makes a snap judgment on a scholly tied to class rank may never be.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:41 pm

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”