UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
showNprove

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby showNprove » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:31 pm

student name
University of Virginia School of Law
J.D. Candidate, 2013

Fixed.

Also, instead of "J.D. Candidate, 2013," you could simply say "Class of 2013"

michstudent10

Postby michstudent10 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:36 pm

I'm new to this group - just accepted yesterday!! It came as a total surprise so I'm still learning all there is to know about UVA. How strong are their public interest programs? When are the ASWs? Do they provide travel vouchers?

Thanks & congrats to all the other new acceptances! :D

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:31 pm

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:43 pm

To clarify on the travel vouchers:

--LinkRemoved--

You get a subsidy dependent upon your mailing address and its distance from UVA. You have to print out a form, fill it out, and present it at the open house registration table. You get a check in the mail 6-8 weeks later.

protokurios

Postby protokurios » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:17 pm

Their reimbursement process sounds so awesome...no receipt required, they just give you $400 if you're from far away. Too bad I can't make it to the ASP though...

SweetnessUVA

Postby SweetnessUVA » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:18 pm

showNprove wrote:
student name
University of Virginia School of Law
J.D. Candidate, 2013

Fixed.

Also, instead of "J.D. Candidate, 2013," you could simply say "Class of 2013"

Mine just says:

SweetnessUVA, B.S.D.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:25 pm

michstudent10 wrote:I'm new to this group - just accepted yesterday!! It came as a total surprise so I'm still learning all there is to know about UVA. How strong are their public interest programs? When are the ASWs? Do they provide travel vouchers?

I can somewhat address the PI thing.

UVA has a Public Service Center, which is a separate career services center that does nothing but PI job placement and offering students pro bono opportunities while in law school. It's totally independent from the main Career Services Center which handles law firm job placement. The PSC is very helpful and has a number of connections to different PI groups around the country, and also coordinates a Public Service OGI week in the spring each year.

On top of that there are numerous student organizations and clinics which provide exposure to public interest programs. For instance, the Virginia Innocence Project has both a clinic which you can take for a semester and receive class credit for, and a Student Group which allows you to volunteer as many hours as you want and receive pro bono hours for.

I'm focused on PI and I'm very glad to be going to UVA. I've already had great opportunities here; over winter break I went and interned with a public interest lawyer in NYC, and over Spring Break I'm going and interning for a public interest group in New Orleans. The pro bono hours I'm earning apply toward the school's Pro Bono Challenge which gives you an award if you earn more than 75 pro bono hours while enrolled here. That's something I can put on my resume.

Muckduck

Postby Muckduck » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:30 pm

It's a top 10 school. If you graduate high enough in the class, you can do whatever you want right?

mcflooter06

Postby mcflooter06 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:33 pm

Do any of you guys know much about the school's heath insurance? I found the info on ther website, but there wasn't anything substantial. Is it affordable? decent coverage? I'm having some issues with my parent's coverage so I may have to fund it myself, and was just curious.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:35 pm

Muckduck wrote:It's a top 10 school. If you graduate high enough in the class, you can do whatever you want right?

"160k all day" is what I always say

Muckduck

Postby Muckduck » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:38 pm

Love it

Chromakey

Postby Chromakey » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:46 pm

vanwinkle wrote:I can somewhat address the PI thing.

UVA has a Public Service Center, which is a separate career services center that does nothing but PI job placement and offering students pro bono opportunities while in law school. It's totally independent from the main Career Services Center which handles law firm job placement. The PSC is very helpful and has a number of connections to different PI groups around the country, and also coordinates a Public Service OGI week in the spring each year.

On top of that there are numerous student organizations and clinics which provide exposure to public interest programs. For instance, the Virginia Innocence Project has both a clinic which you can take for a semester and receive class credit for, and a Student Group which allows you to volunteer as many hours as you want and receive pro bono hours for.

I'm focused on PI and I'm very glad to be going to UVA. I've already had great opportunities here; over winter break I went and interned with a public interest lawyer in NYC, and over Spring Break I'm going and interning for a public interest group in New Orleans. The pro bono hours I'm earning apply toward the school's Pro Bono Challenge which gives you an award if you earn more than 75 pro bono hours while enrolled here. That's something I can put on my resume.

I think UVA should be paying you for all the useful information you disseminate to us 0L's. Plus the length and depth of your posts gives me hope that I will have at least a little time to fritter away :wink:

slider

Postby slider » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:27 am

Chromakey wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:I can somewhat address the PI thing.

I think UVA should be paying you for all the useful information you disseminate to us 0L's. Plus the length and depth of your posts gives me hope that I will have at least a little time to fritter away :wink:

+1

Muckduck

Postby Muckduck » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:33 am

Any current students been to the UVA ASW before? How useful was it?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:43 am

Muckduck wrote:Any current students been to the UVA ASW before? How useful was it?

I went, and it ultimately convinced me to go. It gives you at least a glimpse of what to expect in the fall, as you get to see the law school and visit the town, meet some of the professors and staff that'll be helping you through your three years here, and even give you a taste of what class is like.

That was the best part actually. Last year one of the ASW activities was a "mock class" that one of the tenured professors gave. They gave us a reading assignment (a copy of Lawrence v. Texas, which was placed in our ASW info packets) and the professor even started cold-calling people. It was Anne Coughlin, and seeing her teach was one of the things that made me want to come to UVA. (I'm glad I've had the opportunity to take one of her classes while I'm here, too.)

Also there was a reception where a few current and former Supreme Court clerks came and chatted with the admitted students. We got to talk to them about the experiences they'd had and the path from UVA Law to clerking for the Supreme Court.

If they're not busy you can speak to just about everyone while you're here. Heck, I even stopped a couple students and chatted them up about why they chose UVA, and they were all very friendly and eager to provide answers. I'd probably do the same if I wasn't in a hurry and ran into a 0L here during ASW. (In fact I had a conversation about UVA with a 0L who visited just a couple days ago, but that's digressing a bit.)

Oh, and you can meet your future classmates, too! Some folks last spring found roommates that they're now living with at the Graduate Center or a rented 2BR apartment at Ivy or the Jeffersonian. (I imagine the ones at the Jeffersonian had already reserved the apartment in anticipation of finding a roommate later; those should all be booked up by now.)

Muckduck

Postby Muckduck » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:05 am

vanwinkle wrote:
Muckduck wrote:Any current students been to the UVA ASW before? How useful was it?

I went, and it ultimately convinced me to go. It gives you at least a glimpse of what to expect in the fall, as you get to see the law school and visit the town, meet some of the professors and staff that'll be helping you through your three years here, and even give you a taste of what class is like.

That was the best part actually. Last year one of the ASW activities was a "mock class" that one of the tenured professors gave. They gave us a reading assignment (a copy of Lawrence v. Texas, which was placed in our ASW info packets) and the professor even started cold-calling people. It was Anne Coughlin, and seeing her teach was one of the things that made me want to come to UVA. (I'm glad I've had the opportunity to take one of her classes while I'm here, too.)

Also there was a reception where a few current and former Supreme Court clerks came and chatted with the admitted students. We got to talk to them about the experiences they'd had and the path from UVA Law to clerking for the Supreme Court.

If they're not busy you can speak to just about everyone while you're here. Heck, I even stopped a couple students and chatted them up about why they chose UVA, and they were all very friendly and eager to provide answers. I'd probably do the same if I wasn't in a hurry and ran into a 0L here during ASW. (In fact I had a conversation about UVA with a 0L who visited just a couple days ago, but that's digressing a bit.)

Oh, and you can meet your future classmates, too! Some folks last spring found roommates that they're now living with at the Graduate Center or a rented 2BR apartment at Ivy or the Jeffersonian. (I imagine the ones at the Jeffersonian had already reserved the apartment in anticipation of finding a roommate later; those should all be booked up by now.)

Awesome. If I remember correctly there will be a mock classroom experience this time around too. That looked good. I would love to see what a Law School lecture looks/feels like before I am deluged by them this fall. Maybe if I'm lucky I will also be able to spot the junior gunners who will undoubtedly read the case forty times, call their lawyer friends about it and write a brief essay analyzing it before the class.

Super random question though: how should I dress when I come? Should I wear a shirt and tie or is it pretty casual? I don't want to be over or under-dressed.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:08 am

Muckduck wrote:Super random question though: how should I dress when I come? Should I wear a shirt and tie or is it pretty casual? I don't want to be over or under-dressed.

I wore a button-up shirt and khakis. I saw people there in sportcoats/suits and I saw people there in T-shirts and jeans. I think it's important to try to make a good impression so you don't want to dress too casually, but as long as you don't do something that'll get you kicked out of a McDonald's you're probably at least okay.

Muckduck

Postby Muckduck » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:57 am

vanwinkle wrote:
Muckduck wrote:Super random question though: how should I dress when I come? Should I wear a shirt and tie or is it pretty casual? I don't want to be over or under-dressed.

I wore a button-up shirt and khakis. I saw people there in sportcoats/suits and I saw people there in T-shirts and jeans. I think it's important to try to make a good impression so you don't want to dress too casually, but as long as you don't do something that'll get you kicked out of a McDonald's you're probably at least okay.

Haha. You have a way with words. Hopefully I'll run into you and ask you some more questions.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:09 am

Muckduck wrote:
Awesome. If I remember correctly there will be a mock classroom experience this time around too. That looked good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p73PZIDQuA

Muckduck

Postby Muckduck » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:10 am

Kohinoor wrote:
Muckduck wrote:
Awesome. If I remember correctly there will be a mock classroom experience this time around too. That looked good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p73PZIDQuA

Oh yeah? How do I prepare?

michstudent10

Postby michstudent10 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:23 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
michstudent10 wrote:I'm new to this group - just accepted yesterday!! It came as a total surprise so I'm still learning all there is to know about UVA. How strong are their public interest programs? When are the ASWs? Do they provide travel vouchers?

I can somewhat address the PI thing.

Wow that is so helpful - thank you! That sounds amazing & definitely further increases UVA's appeal! :D

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:25 pm

Does anyone know what sort of probability you have for getting selected for the Jeffersonian if you're an early number on the WL? I don't have any major muckups on my record that would be an obstacle to getting the place, but I haven't had a good paying job for any sustained period of time, so my credit score is only mediocre.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:26 pm

billyez

Postby billyez » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:54 am

When YCre said something to the effect above earlier I got a little concerned about my own chances, but to everyone else who applied there each person who's asked the management there has said that they've heard it can go up to the 70's. Heck, that's the info I got when I applied.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:57 am

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”