UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
slider

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby slider » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:30 am

aznflyingpanda wrote:So Vanwinkle, when are you hosting the TLS UVA bbq?

+1 , lol

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:36 am

You know what'll bring to the party. Hint: They're orange and crunchy

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:58 am

Doritos wrote:

You know what'll bring to the party. Hint: They're orange and crunchy

Damn I love Cheetos!

lilspainishflea

Postby lilspainishflea » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:04 pm

I'm bringing a bottle of Jeremiah Weed and you all have to drink it with me :mrgreen:

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:29 pm

:mrgreen:

Last year there was a UVA student who stuck around on the forums and gave advice to all of us as 0Ls, and was seen as the really cool helpful in-the-know guy. I figured someone would end up becoming the same thing to this year's incoming class, but I had no idea it was going to be me.

I guess this means I'm leading the pre-orientation trip to Monticello this year. That was fun.

Postby 02082010 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:37 pm

Winery?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:37 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:Winery?

Pardon?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:38 pm

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:38 pm

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:39 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

Pardon?

He wants to go to a winery, methinks.

EDIT: Or he doesn't know what Monticello is.

I figured it was one of the two, but wanted to find out which instead of rambling on about one answer and then being told he meant something else, which is what I usually do.

Also, that was the "quote" button, not the "edit" button. :mrgreen:

Postby 02082010 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:40 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

Pardon?

He wants to go to a winery, methinks.

EDIT: Or he doesn't know what Monticello is.

This. I googled it and it made it seem like a winery.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:42 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:EDIT: Or he doesn't know what Monticello is.

It is the home of Thomas Jefferson, third President of the United States and founder of the University of Virginia. If you go grab a nickel, Monticello is the building on the back ("tails") side.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monticello

EDIT: Also, there's an on-site Jefferson museum at the entrance. Since it was a plantation, the historical stuff there includes discussion of civil rights, Jefferson's slave ownership, and the conflict between his owning slaves and supporting individual freedom. Some fascinating stuff.

Postby 02082010 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:55 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:EDIT: Or he doesn't know what Monticello is.

It is the home of Thomas Jefferson, third President of the United States and founder of the University of Virginia. If you go grab a nickel, Monticello is the building on the back ("tails") side.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monticello

EDIT: Also, there's an on-site Jefferson museum at the entrance. Since it was a plantation, the historical stuff there includes discussion of civil rights, Jefferson's slave ownership, and the conflict between his owning slaves and supporting individual freedom. Some fascinating stuff.

:?

Postby 02082010 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:04 pm

So I'm getting there extremely early (around 10) on Thursday morning.

What are some must sees in Charlottesville that I should check out during the 7hrs or so break I'll have between arriving and the BBQ? I'm flying so I won't have a car. What's the best place to get lunch?

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:05 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 02082010 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:28 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:Go downtown and walk around/shop. There are lots of cool restaurants and cafes. The historic downtown area isn't really too far from campus either, where there are more cafes and restaurants. If it's a nice day, it'll be a nice walk.

Yeah, that was my default option.

Lady LaLa

Postby Lady LaLa » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:11 pm

Anyone driving from DC that I might be able to catch a ride with?

FeuerFrei

Postby FeuerFrei » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:54 pm

Last edited by FeuerFrei on Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ogman05

Postby ogman05 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:48 pm

Lady LaLa wrote:Anyone driving from DC that I might be able to catch a ride with?

Not driving from DC but Ill be renting a car upon arrival to CHO thursday morning until I live saturday morning. If anyone is going to ASW in march and wants to chip in and ride with I have 2 or 3 seats left. Let me know. Cheaper than a cab and will ahve a car for asw. Plus you get to meet me. 8)

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:28 pm

Sooo at some point pre-orientation it looks like we're taking a trip to Monticello, followed by tasty food + Doritos and Jeremiah Weed. SCORE!

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:30 pm

FeuerFrei wrote:For everyone that got Computing logins yesterday, what else was in the e-mail? I got the career services one just about the same time people started reporting getting the computing log-ins, but I don't see anything?

Just the login. and a link to the financial aid part of the website.

billyez

Postby billyez » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:21 pm

It seems like I've got a bit of a problem.

I received the Admissions folder and all the information that came with it two days ago. I noticed that it said that the ABA asks for a UG transcript from the law school and they want it by August 1st. I'm taking 21 hours this semester so I can graduate a year early. The problem is, I'm going to have to take two summer classes as well to get my degree. I was going to take classes that started in June and ended August 11th, so I could work during the entirety of the summer, but that's obviously not going to meet the deadline. I'm going to ask the Admissions office if they're willing to wait, but if they actually need it by August 1st I'm going to have to squeeze both of those summer classes into one month. That's going to cut into my ability to work in the summer and recoup some cash for law school expenditures.

Ah, well. This is small stuff. I'm used to overloading myself at this point. More importantly, could any current students talk about the SG at UVA? I've been in SG at my undergrad and I really like doing it. What kind of stuff does your SG do and what kind of presence do they have on campus?

The reason why I ED'd to UVA was because it was probably the best LRAP I was going to get with my scores (but even then, I was shocked ot be accepted...blah blah blah) but I'm relieved ot see that public interest doens't seem to be a throwaway gag here. How easy was it for you to start working in the public interest there and by what process did you choose where you worked?

Finally, anybody here live at University Place? It seems like a far better deal than the Copeley housing - especially since utilities are included and the units look really nice.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:33 pm

billyez wrote:It seems like I've got a bit of a problem.

Talk to the adcomms on Monday, they'll give you the answers you need. Nobody here will be able to help you like they will. I can only speculate as to what they might say, and I won't.

billyez wrote:Ah, well. This is small stuff. I'm used to overloading myself at this point. More importantly, could any current students talk about the SG at UVA? I've been in SG at my undergrad and I really like doing it. What kind of stuff does your SG do and what kind of presence do they have on campus?

I assume you mean Student Government. Here at UVA Law, it's called the Student Bar Association and they do a variety of different things. They oversee all the different student organizations, arrange different events that happen throughout the year, and... you know, I'm not entirely sure what all they do. They do have a website which features a collection of outlines students have created for prior classes with certain professors, which is a very valuable resource, let me tell you.

Their website is here: http://www.virginiasba.com/Default.aspx I'll defer to someone who has actual knowledge of what they do to go into detail.

billyez wrote:The reason why I ED'd to UVA was because it was probably the best LRAP I was going to get with my scores (but even then, I was shocked ot be accepted...blah blah blah) but I'm relieved ot see that public interest doens't seem to be a throwaway gag here. How easy was it for you to start working in the public interest there and by what process did you choose where you worked?

Now this I can speak to! UVA has a dedicated Public Service Center (it's a career services center that's entirely PI-driven) and they can help you with all of the PI stuff you wanna do. They'll have listings of different area organizations that need pro bono help during the school year, they have a Winter Pro Bono Project where they'll connect you with an organization in your hometown so you can do some pro bono work while you go home for winter break, and they track your hours for the Pro Bono Challenge (which gives you an award at graduation if you complete 75 hours of Pro Bono work a year, with at least 25 hours worked in each of your three years).

The PSC staff are incredibly helpful and knowledgeable and will do everything they can to help you explore PI work to your heart's content. They got me an internship over winter break with the NYC public defender, which was amazing, and now they're helping me find a summer PI internship.

Really, with the economy this tough, even the unpaid summer internships are becoming competitive. Folks who in previous years would have taken a paid summer gig at a law firm can't find such a thing this year and are taking unpaid gigs instead. To that end, though, I've been using the PSC to build up my resume through pro bono work during the school year, which I'm sure is part of why I've got some amazing interviews lined up right now.

Basically, just start showing up at the PSC from day one and be like "I wanna do PI work, what have you got for me?" and if they don't have anything for you then, they'll tell you when to check back. You can build up an impressive resume of pro bono and PI work in a very short period of time if you're dedicated.

billyez

Postby billyez » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:41 pm

That's excellent! I'm especially excited about the fact that they'll be able to help me find public interest work back in Texas during break. It sounds like UVA posseses just the kind of focus on PI work that I was hoping for.

Also, yes, I meant to say the SBA. Thanks for pointing out that they had some outlines up there. Seems like these outlines aren't too far off from the kind of notes I took in my UG Civil Liberties and Law and Medicine class. Good to know I won't have to reinvent the wheel or anything when it comes to note-taking.
Last edited by billyez on Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:44 pm

billyez wrote:That's excellent! I'm especially excited about the fact that they'll be able to help me find public interest work back in Texas during break. It sounds like UVA posseses just the kind of focus on PI work that I was hoping for.

It really does. There's also the Public Interest Law Association, a student organization that encourages PI work. One of the things they do is hold fundraisers (such as the annual PILA auction) and then put the money into awarding PILA grants to students doing unpaid summer internships, to help them afford doing so...

Which reminds me, I need to get to work on that app! PILA grant apps are due next Friday, I'd better get started. :P

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”