UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby 02082010 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:33 am

billyez wrote:It might be better to just call or e-mail them to find out.


Word.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:47 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:So no one answered my question... is Ivey full?

I got offered a spot in Ivy last March, but it was for a mid-June start date; I didn't want to pay rent on an apartment I wasn't going to move into yet, so I found something else.

I hate and loathe Ivy's application process. It is the worst system on the planet for renting an apartment and their leasing officers are rude and unhelpful.

User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1920
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Stringer Bell » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:55 am

vanwinkle wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:So no one answered my question... is Ivey full?

I got offered a spot in Ivy last March, but it was for a mid-June start date; I didn't want to pay rent on an apartment I wasn't going to move into yet, so I found something else.

I hate and loathe Ivy's application process. It is the worst system on the planet for renting an apartment and their leasing officers are rude and unhelpful.


The fact that you can only get two HD channels is the main reason I have no interest in living there. Maybe it's ridiculous and I have warped priorities, but I'd be willing to drive or ride the buses to campus over not being able to watch football in HD.

02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby 02082010 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:00 am

Stringer Bell wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:So no one answered my question... is Ivey full?

I got offered a spot in Ivy last March, but it was for a mid-June start date; I didn't want to pay rent on an apartment I wasn't going to move into yet, so I found something else.

I hate and loathe Ivy's application process. It is the worst system on the planet for renting an apartment and their leasing officers are rude and unhelpful.


The fact that you can only get two HD channels is the main reason I have no interest in living there. Maybe it's ridiculous and I have warped priorities, but I'd be willing to drive or ride the buses to campus over not being able to watch football in HD.


Really? That's garbage. I haven't looking the housing situation very much yet as I'm still waiting on 3 other schools that could potentially trump UVA.

What places have you looked into that you like?

User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1920
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Stringer Bell » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:05 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:What places have you looked into that you like?


I'm slacking and haven't really looked into it much yet. Researching housing is one of my main resolutions for this weekend.

User avatar
billyez
Posts: 868
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby billyez » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:13 am

Anyone who lives in at Ivy know what the cost of utilites is?

Also, do you need a parking pass to park anywhere on campus and if so how much does it cost?

oneforship
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:17 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby oneforship » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:25 am

Got the financial aid info email.

User avatar
Doritos
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Doritos » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:16 am

oneforship wrote:Got the financial aid info email.


me too! woo hoo!

User avatar
Sauer Grapes
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Sauer Grapes » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:26 am

....
Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oneforship
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:17 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby oneforship » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:32 am

Sauer Grapes wrote:
Doritos wrote:
oneforship wrote:Got the financial aid info email.


me too! woo hoo!

How long ago did you two get accepted? Did you not get any financial aid info originally? I thought if they didn't discuss it over the acceptance phone call, then you had to wait until march to get a small amount. Dang, this gives me hope, although oneforship has a great LSAT, and mine is just good.


It's not an award, just an ID and password to fill out the UVA financial aid forms. I got accepted way back in November.

User avatar
ogman05
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:02 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby ogman05 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:32 am

Sauer Grapes wrote:
Doritos wrote:
oneforship wrote:Got the financial aid info email.


me too! woo hoo!

How long ago did you two get accepted? Did you not get any financial aid info originally? I thought if they didn't discuss it over the acceptance phone call, then you had to wait until march to get a small amount. Dang, this gives me hope, although oneforship has a great LSAT, and mine is just good.


I just got mine as well. This is not an email discussing amount however it is just you computing id and ssi numbers so that you can apply for finaid. I was accepted after xmas

User avatar
Sauer Grapes
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Sauer Grapes » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:35 am

....
Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
chicoalto0649
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby chicoalto0649 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:54 pm

Hi guys!

Was nice knowing you all for such a short period of time. Since I was rejected today, I will no longer be posting in this thread, but I wish you all the best.

User avatar
ogman05
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:02 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby ogman05 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:03 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:Hi guys!

Was nice knowing you all for such a short period of time. Since I was rejected today, I will no longer be posting in this thread, but I wish you all the best.


Sorry to hear that tall boy. Still good luck with the rest of your cycle.

User avatar
Philo38
Posts: 344
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:21 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Philo38 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:14 pm

Recieved my Finaid email as well.

User avatar
Doritos
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Doritos » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:17 pm

Philo38 wrote:Recieved my Finaid email as well.


How much money can I expect? half tuition for being poor?

User avatar
Philo38
Posts: 344
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:21 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Philo38 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:30 pm

Doritos wrote:
Philo38 wrote:Recieved my Finaid email as well.


How much money can I expect? half tuition for being poor?


There is not any information about scholarships grants in the email, it is just login information so that you can fill out the financial aid application.

On that note, to those who know, once we fill out this financial aid application what are the next steps after that in terms of securing laons? VERY confused about this whole process.

User avatar
ogman05
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:02 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby ogman05 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:36 pm

Philo38 wrote:
Doritos wrote:
Philo38 wrote:Recieved my Finaid email as well.


How much money can I expect? half tuition for being poor?


There is not any information about scholarships grants in the email, it is just login information so that you can fill out the financial aid application.

On that note, to those who know, once we fill out this financial aid application what are the next steps after that in terms of securing laons? VERY confused about this whole process.


Also curious about this. For us poor folk are there any people who receive grants. What are the larger needbased grants that have been given out. In response to the above, I assume it will be very similar to undergrad. They offer you a certain amount, you electronically sign your life away and bam you now have indentured servitude. Loans will be dispersed after classes begin and funds received from whoever your lender is. If you have excess, you will be give a check after clases begin.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:46 pm

Based on what I know the majority of need-based aid is loans. If your financial situation is bad enough you could get subsidized Stafford loans or low-interest-rate Perkins loans. The school says it allocates aid on a "merit and need basis" but I'm pretty certain most of the actual scholarships go to merit.

User avatar
billyez
Posts: 868
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby billyez » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:55 pm

#71 at Jeffersonian. The odds are heavily agains me, but as the Texas Lotto commercials say...you can't win if you don't play! Or it was something like that at one point.

02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby 02082010 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:03 pm

billyez wrote:#71 at Jeffersonian. The odds are heavily agains me, but as the Texas Lotto commercials say...you can't win if you don't play! Or it was something like that at one point.


Is Jeffersonian that much better than Ivey?

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:06 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:
billyez wrote:#71 at Jeffersonian. The odds are heavily agains me, but as the Texas Lotto commercials say...you can't win if you don't play! Or it was something like that at one point.

Is Jeffersonian that much better than Ivey?

IMO yes. Management and leasing policies are less retarded, and its placement on Arlington Blvd. means it's just a couple minutes' walk from both the law school and Barracks Road Shopping Center with its 24-hour grocery store and drugstore and other stuff. Apartments in both places are pretty nice and you've got lots of 1Ls living in both.

02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby 02082010 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:18 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:
billyez wrote:#71 at Jeffersonian. The odds are heavily agains me, but as the Texas Lotto commercials say...you can't win if you don't play! Or it was something like that at one point.

Is Jeffersonian that much better than Ivey?

IMO yes. Management and leasing policies are less retarded, and its placement on Arlington Blvd. means it's just a couple minutes' walk from both the law school and Barracks Road Shopping Center with its 24-hour grocery store and drugstore and other stuff. Apartments in both places are pretty nice and you've got lots of 1Ls living in both.

Sounds sweet. Guess that's why it's already full.

billyez is making it seem like it's already full for next year though. I'm guessing there is no way to get an apt there in late March.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:19 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:billyez is making it seem like it's already full for next year though. I'm guessing there is no way to get an apt there in late March.

No, you'd better get on the waiting list now. You'll be like #80 but who knows, stranger things have happened. You might just get lucky.

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby flyingpanda » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:13 am

So Vanwinkle, when are you hosting the TLS UVA bbq?




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest