UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
oneforship
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:17 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby oneforship » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:58 pm

Doritos wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:Does anyone else feel that this new ED thing is making UVA seem pretty TTT?


I don't see how would hurt UVA in any way. If anything it gives them more control over the make up of their incoming class. It's not like their new medians are going to be I don't know just pulling numbers out of the air here 3.7 and 169 or anything truly TTT like that.


If anything, they could use it to bump their medians.

02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby 02082010 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:03 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:Does anyone else feel that this new ED thing is making UVA seem pretty TTT?

No.


It makes them seem less selective and by extension more TTT. Whatever.

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby thickfreakness » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:04 pm

Doritos wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:Does anyone else feel that this new ED thing is making UVA seem pretty TTT?


I don't see how would hurt UVA in any way. If anything it gives them more control over the make up of their incoming class. It's not like their new medians are going to be I don't know just pulling numbers out of the air here 3.7 and 169 or anything truly TTT like that.



I think the knock is that they're using reverse splitters and splitters via ED to line up a larger portion of their class, and then they'll take target candidates over both medians but not too over, then YP people people way over, then reject everyone under.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby YCrevolution » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:05 pm

..

oneforship
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:17 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby oneforship » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:08 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:Does anyone else feel that this new ED thing is making UVA seem pretty TTT?

No.


It makes them seem less selective and by extension more TTT. Whatever.


It actually allows them to be more selective, because a larger % of their class is committed to attending. They don't have to accept as many students to fill the spots, because fewer can leave for peer offers.

02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby 02082010 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:10 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:Does anyone else feel that this new ED thing is making UVA seem pretty TTT?

No.


It makes them seem less selective and by extension more TTT. Whatever.

How does it make them less selective?

They can still accept, waitlist, and reject applicants, ED or not.


It seems that they're more worried about comprising a class of splitters and reverse splitters that can improve both medians, rather than selecting the best incoming class.

Curve considerations aside, would you rather go to school with a bunch of 3.8 169 students (a la Michigan) or a mix of 4.0 164, 173 3.1 students.

User avatar
chicoalto0649
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby chicoalto0649 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:17 pm


It seems that they're more worried about comprising a class of splitters and reverse splitters that can improve both medians, rather than selecting the best incoming class.
Curve considerations aside, would you rather go to school with a bunch of 3.8 169 students (a la Michigan) or a mix of 4.0 164, 173 3.1 students.


Could this difference ever possibly manifest itself in some way, shape, or form with your interactions with classmates? I don't think you can tell the difference between reverse splitters and a 3.8 169, without having everyone in school walk around with their numbers stitched into their clothing.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby YCrevolution » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:27 pm

..

jnorsky
Posts: 201
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:26 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby jnorsky » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:32 pm

If standard deviations were variables on USNWR rankings, then im sure UVA wouldnt be doing this, but its not, so they believe this will help them. Honestly, I do not care what they do, as long as they are working to maintain a great rep and a great ranking. If this helps, then it helps me, if it hurts, then im sure theyll scrap it. in the end i think their medians will remain about the same, I think that their 25% LSAT will go up, i think that their acceptance rate will be down, and their yield will be way up, sounds like a decent plan to make up for their shitty student/faculty ratio and overtake my almamater.
Last edited by jnorsky on Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby 02082010 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:35 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:

It seems that they're more worried about comprising a class of splitters and reverse splitters that can improve both medians, rather than selecting the best incoming class.
Curve considerations aside, would you rather go to school with a bunch of 3.8 169 students (a la Michigan) or a mix of 4.0 164, 173 3.1 students.


Could this difference ever possibly manifest itself in some way, shape, or form with your interactions with classmates? I don't think you can tell the difference between reverse splitters and a 3.8 169, without having everyone in school walk around with their numbers stitched into their clothing.

I can't tell the difference between the low 160 people and the 171+ people at UVA. The vast majority of law students at UVA are smart and hard-working people. It wouldn't matter to me either way, except that (my personal unsupported belief) is that splitters often have more diverse backgrounds and can make for a more interesting class.

As for best incoming class, you seem to be assuming that a low std. dev. in LSATs and GPAs is preferable/better (and assuming, perhaps correctly, that the best incoming class is the one with the best numbers). It might be, but I don't really see why it's any better, especially if the medians are improving anyways.


I'm not super numbers obsessed (I'm a splitter myself) but I thought having a more balanced class might be better. Obviously I have never taken a law school class or interacted in a law school setting so I was just posing questions to see what people thought. We'll see I guess.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby YCrevolution » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:38 pm

..

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19667
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby dailygrind » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:11 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:

It seems that they're more worried about comprising a class of splitters and reverse splitters that can improve both medians, rather than selecting the best incoming class.
Curve considerations aside, would you rather go to school with a bunch of 3.8 169 students (a la Michigan) or a mix of 4.0 164, 173 3.1 students.


Could this difference ever possibly manifest itself in some way, shape, or form with your interactions with classmates? I don't think you can tell the difference between reverse splitters and a 3.8 169, without having everyone in school walk around with their numbers stitched into their clothing.

I can't tell the difference between the low 160 people and the 171+ people at UVA. The vast majority of law students at UVA are smart and hard-working people. It wouldn't matter to me either way, except that (my personal unsupported belief) is that splitters often have more diverse backgrounds and can make for a more interesting class.

As for best incoming class, you seem to be assuming that a low std. dev. in LSATs and GPAs is preferable/better (and assuming, perhaps correctly, that the best incoming class is the one with the best numbers). It might be, but I don't really see why it's any better, especially if the medians are improving anyways.


I dunno if std. dev. is the core point. IMO it all hinges on your index. Median boosting strategies can sacrifice the overall index by taking on splitters and reverse splitters, and assuming all other things are equal, you expect the splitter/reverse splitters to do worse than the higher index people (I've got a splittastic set of numbers myself). So the argument goes that we're losing actual quality so that we can have the appearance of quality. Who knows though. USNWR being what it is, if this argument were valid, it might still be the correct strategy. Also, the all else equal assumption is potentially violated because we're all sifted through the admissions process. Maybe only the most promising splitters are making it in.

User avatar
dgouzoul
Posts: 244
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby dgouzoul » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:36 pm

i'm not gonna look somebody in the eye if they didn't have median LSAT and uGPA

[/sarcasm]

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby im_blue » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:47 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:It seems that they're more worried about comprising a class of splitters and reverse splitters that can improve both medians, rather than selecting the best incoming class.


Every law school is more worried about getting a class with good numbers than selecting the best students. If this were not the case, then undergrad quality and upward GPA trends would count a hell of a lot more than they do now, i.e. ~zero.

User avatar
ILikeIke
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:53 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby ILikeIke » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:56 pm

Congrats to everyone who already got admitted to UVA and good luck to those still waiting!

For anyone who has already decided they are coming to UVA, and is looking for a place to live, my roommate and I are going to have a vacancy next year in our 3 bedroom/3 bathroom flat at the Woodlands. (--LinkRemoved--) We will both be 2Ls. We're non-smokers, no pets, both fairly studious and fairly neat. We have already furnished the common areas and have plenty of dishes and that sort of thing, so you don't have to worry about bringing any of that if you don't have it. (But if you do, we still have room.) Rent is $550/month, utilities tend to run about $50/month. The unit has a washer/dryer and a dishwasher. The Woodlands has a "clubhouse" with amenities including a gym (which is pretty decent for an apartment complex gym), pool table, theater, swimming pool, tennis, basketball and volleyball courts.

PM me if you're interested or if you have any questions.

ETA: The Woodlands is about a 10 minute drive from the law school. There is also a free shuttle service provided. I've never used it, but I know that you can actually call them and tell them what time you want to be picked up, and they'll come get you at the front of the law school.
Last edited by ILikeIke on Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby 02082010 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:05 pm

ILikeIke wrote:Congrats to everyone who already got admitted to UVA and good luck to those still waiting!

For anyone who has already decided they are coming to UVA, and is looking for a place to live, my roommate and I are going to have a vacancy next year in our 3 bedroom/3 bathroom flat at the Woodlands. (--LinkRemoved--) We will both be 2Ls. We're non-smokers, no pets, both fairly studious and fairly neat. We have already furnished the common areas and have plenty of dishes and that sort of thing, so you don't have to worry about bringing any of that if you don't have it. (But if you do, we still have room.) Rent is $550/month, utilities tend to run about $50/month. The unit has a washer/dryer and a dishwasher. The Woodlands has a "clubhouse" with amenities including a gym (which is pretty decent for an apartment complex gym), pool table, theater, swimming pool, tennis, basketball and volleyball courts.

PM me if you're interested or if you have any questions.


How close is the complex to the law school?

User avatar
ILikeIke
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:53 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby ILikeIke » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:30 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:
ILikeIke wrote:Congrats to everyone who already got admitted to UVA and good luck to those still waiting!

For anyone who has already decided they are coming to UVA, and is looking for a place to live, my roommate and I are going to have a vacancy next year in our 3 bedroom/3 bathroom flat at the Woodlands. (--LinkRemoved--) We will both be 2Ls. We're non-smokers, no pets, both fairly studious and fairly neat. We have already furnished the common areas and have plenty of dishes and that sort of thing, so you don't have to worry about bringing any of that if you don't have it. (But if you do, we still have room.) Rent is $550/month, utilities tend to run about $50/month. The unit has a washer/dryer and a dishwasher. The Woodlands has a "clubhouse" with amenities including a gym (which is pretty decent for an apartment complex gym), pool table, theater, swimming pool, tennis, basketball and volleyball courts.

PM me if you're interested or if you have any questions.


How close is the complex to the law school?


I knew we forgot something when we were writing that post!

It's about a 10 minute drive to the law school.

User avatar
HJO
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:04 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby HJO » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:18 pm

aznflyingpanda wrote:To my knowledge, everyone who is accepted gets an email saying something like, please call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx number, and then they tell you on the phone.


I never got the e-mail, just the phone call.

User avatar
jawsthegreat
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:20 pm

HJO wrote:
aznflyingpanda wrote:To my knowledge, everyone who is accepted gets an email saying something like, please call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx number, and then they tell you on the phone.


I never got the e-mail, just the phone call.


Same

BigJiggaJ87
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:07 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby BigJiggaJ87 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:53 pm

In today. Was asked to give Dean Dugas a call.

Hello Charlottesville!

protokurios
Posts: 196
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:49 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby protokurios » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:08 pm

Got in RD and am thinking about visiting in April, although not for the AS event. I'm coming from LA and I have no idea what is the best way to get there. Fly into Charlottesville, Washington, or Richmond? Rent a car? Help very much appreciated!

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:18 pm

protokurios wrote:Got in RD and am thinking about visiting in April, although not for the AS event. I'm coming from LA and I have no idea what is the best way to get there. Fly into Charlottesville, Washington, or Richmond? Rent a car? Help very much appreciated!

Well, if you fly into C-ville, you could theoretically get a taxi to/from the airport, stay at the hotel on Millmont St., and be walking distance from the law school and Arlington Blvd. It's possible to do the trip without renting a car.

However, to really get a full look around at the community you're going to want to rent a car. Renting a car costs the same either way, and flying into either Dulles or Richmond is going to be cheaper than flying into C-ville in my experience. Plus that'll give you more options looking around for cheap hotels in C-ville instead of having to go for that one on Millmont, which I think is a Courtyard and pretty expensive. Dulles is about two hours away by car, Richmond is an hour away.

Don't fly in and out of Reagan. Just don't do it. Dulles is closer, cheaper, and has more flight options.

User avatar
ogman05
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:02 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby ogman05 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:28 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
HJO wrote:
aznflyingpanda wrote:To my knowledge, everyone who is accepted gets an email saying something like, please call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx number, and then they tell you on the phone.


I never got the e-mail, just the phone call.


Same


I got an email no call. It was over the break however and admissions was closed I believe.

02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby 02082010 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:38 am

So no one answered my question... is Ivey full?

User avatar
billyez
Posts: 868
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby billyez » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:19 am

It might be better to just call or e-mail them to find out.




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest