UVA Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
D Brooks

Silver

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Post by D Brooks » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:58 pm

Cavalier wrote:
Muckduck wrote:
Cavalier wrote:Buying books online - ever brand new books - is a lot cheaper than getting them from the bookstore.
Do we know exactly which texts we will be using for each course yet? Will it matter at all if we don't get the books until a few days into fall semester if we buy them online?
Unfortunately you won't know until sections are released, unless every section of a 1L class is using the same casebook (this happened with criminal law last year). However, as long as you don't make any markings in a casebook bought from the bookstore, you can return it after the semester starts, so you can buy the books from the bookstore and use them while you wait for the online books to arrive. You definitely need the books before classes start though, or else you'll look like an idiot when the professor calls on you and you haven't done the reading.
So charge books to account, use them for about 2 weeks while I wait for my online books to arrive, then return bookstore books?

Is it pain that you're not allowed to write in the books? I always underline (seemingly) important part when I read so it's easier to outline later.

howcani111

New

Post by howcani111 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:01 pm

:)
Last edited by howcani111 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:15 pm

D Brooks wrote:
Cavalier wrote:
Muckduck wrote:
Cavalier wrote:Buying books online - ever brand new books - is a lot cheaper than getting them from the bookstore.
Do we know exactly which texts we will be using for each course yet? Will it matter at all if we don't get the books until a few days into fall semester if we buy them online?
Unfortunately you won't know until sections are released, unless every section of a 1L class is using the same casebook (this happened with criminal law last year). However, as long as you don't make any markings in a casebook bought from the bookstore, you can return it after the semester starts, so you can buy the books from the bookstore and use them while you wait for the online books to arrive. You definitely need the books before classes start though, or else you'll look like an idiot when the professor calls on you and you haven't done the reading.
So charge books to account, use them for about 2 weeks while I wait for my online books to arrive, then return bookstore books?

Is it pain that you're not allowed to write in the books? I always underline (seemingly) important part when I read so it's easier to outline later.
I don't know anything about charging books to one's account since I didn't have to go through that last year. I just paid by credit card, and two weeks later got a refund on one of them when YCrevolution offered me an extra that he had gotten online. I was lucky enough not to have written anything in it. Not being able to write in the books might be a pain, but it's only for two weeks - you can always go back and reread.

howcani111

New

Post by howcani111 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:24 pm

Um. Orientation email. WTF? time is flying by soooo quickly.

berkeleykel06

Bronze

Post by berkeleykel06 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:32 pm

howcani111 wrote: so you decided to stick with UVA? Good choice.
Still deciding. I may defer for a year to get another shot at the LSAT. But considering orientation is only 7 weeks away I figured I should start taking care of some things in case I do end up going.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

whattodo2008

Bronze

Post by whattodo2008 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:58 pm

D Brooks wrote:
Cavalier wrote:
Muckduck wrote:

I usually buy all my textbooks online, but this sounds like kind of a pain in the ass. I'll just pay the extra money the first semester (or year), so that I can begin underlining/writing in /tearing apart the casebook right away (if I need to, that is)

D Brooks

Silver

Post by D Brooks » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:06 pm

whattodo2008 wrote:
D Brooks wrote: So charge books to account, use them for about 2 weeks while I wait for my online books to arrive, then return bookstore books?

I usually buy all my textbooks online, but this sounds like kind of a pain in the ass. I'll just pay the extra money the first semester (or year), so that I can begin underlining/writing in /tearing apart the casebook right away (if I need to, that is)
Yeah, this could be credited.

2Ls: How far out in advance will the casebook list come out before 2nd semester?

Also, about how much more $$ will I be paying overall if I go the bookstore route for the first semester?

whattodo2008

Bronze

Post by whattodo2008 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:09 pm

howcani111 wrote:Um. Orientation email. WTF? time is flying by soooo quickly.
I thought the same thing. It was like a reality check that classes will begin in no time. I got the feeling that I need to enjoy the next "free" weeks as much as possible w/friends and family, but then also got a little scared :oops: because I haven't done anything mildy intellectual since graduating in '08. :mrgreen:

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:10 pm

whattodo2008 wrote:I usually buy all my textbooks online, but this sounds like kind of a pain in the ass. I'll just pay the extra money the first semester (or year), so that I can begin underlining/writing in /tearing apart the casebook right away (if I need to, that is)
*is gung ho 1L*
*pays for textbooks and runs to gunner pit*
*reads Pennoyer*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khMpnsPPFeg

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Philo38

Bronze

Post by Philo38 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:16 pm

whattodo2008 wrote:
I thought the same thing. It was like a reality check that classes will begin in no time. I got the feeling that I need to enjoy the next "free" weeks as much as possible w/friends and family, but then also got a little scared :oops: because I haven't done anything mildy intellectual since graduating in '08. :mrgreen:
I'm feeling the same way. It was appropriate to get that email today actually, because today is my last day at work! It feels good and suprisingly uncomfortable at the same time . . . Not having a job for the first time since I was old enough to work makes quitting a job with no job in my immediate future lined up a strange, strange, feeling.

I have a feeling this last month is going to fly by.

D Brooks

Silver

Post by D Brooks » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:29 pm

Philo38 wrote:
whattodo2008 wrote:
I'm feeling the same way. It was appropriate to get that email today actually, because today is my last day at work! It feels good and suprisingly uncomfortable at the same time . . . Not having a job for the first time since I was old enough to work makes quitting a job with no job in my immediate future lined up a strange, strange, feeling.

Last day on a monday?

That's sick you decided to stop before the 4th though.

whattodo2008

Bronze

Post by whattodo2008 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:52 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
whattodo2008 wrote:I usually buy all my textbooks online, but this sounds like kind of a pain in the ass. I'll just pay the extra money the first semester (or year), so that I can begin underlining/writing in /tearing apart the casebook right away (if I need to, that is)
*is gung ho 1L*
*pays for textbooks and runs to gunner pit*
*reads Pennoyer*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khMpnsPPFeg
Haha, fair enough. I knew someone was going to call me out. Not trying to gun by any means. Just saying that it seems like a bit of a hassle, especially since I'm used to underlining, for waiting for the textbooks to arrive, if it is 2 weeks. Anyways, gotta look at the total savings and how long it would take to get the books.

*EDIT: putting some more thoughts into it, I doubt it will take 2 weeks. I'm guessing the book store just sells at list price shown at Amazon. Amazon is usually fast with shipping and has expedited shipping available, so can probably have it for the following Monday. (http://www.amazon.com/Criminal-Law-Its- ... 0735557942)
D Brooks wrote:
Philo38 wrote:
whattodo2008 wrote:

Last day on a monday?

I'm quitting next week -- gonna reep those 8 hrs of free pay :-D
Last edited by whattodo2008 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:08 pm

jnorsky wrote:just saw it said loan counseling was due the 25th, is this a problem that I havent done this yet?
Where are you seeing this?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Philo38

Bronze

Post by Philo38 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:49 pm

D Brooks wrote:
Philo38 wrote:
whattodo2008 wrote:

Last day on a monday?

Yeah . . . on Friday I was like, what the hell was I thinking?

I needed the extra money though, I leave on a trip Wed so I wanted to put one last day on that paycheck. Kind of regretted that all weekend.

D Brooks

Silver

Post by D Brooks » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:08 pm

:? I just got 10x more responsibility at my job and it correspondingly 10x cooler. questioning on whether I want to defer or not. GRRRRRRR.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:14 pm

D Brooks

Silver

Post by D Brooks » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:23 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
D Brooks wrote::? I just got 10x more responsibility at my job and it correspondingly 10x cooler. questioning on whether I want to defer or not. GRRRRRRR.
It's a political job isn't it?
Yeah, I just started running one of our satellite campaign offices today and it's awesome. There gov is in the room outside of my office meeting with the latino contingent in the area.

Just meeting awesome, powerful, cool people and tons of responsibility.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:24 pm

D Brooks

Silver

Post by D Brooks » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:31 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
D Brooks wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
D Brooks wrote::? I just got 10x more responsibility at my job and it correspondingly 10x cooler. questioning on whether I want to defer or not. GRRRRRRR.
It's a political job isn't it?
Yeah, I just started running one of our satellite campaign offices today and it's awesome. There gov is in the room outside of my office meeting with the latino contingent in the area.

Just meeting awesome, powerful, cool people and tons of responsibility.
How likely will it be that you have a job after November?
Swing district in a perpetual purple state. It's honestly 50/50. I'd be able to ball out the Hill in DC and live in NoVa (and hopefully get in-state tuition) if we do win though. The Congressman loves me.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:45 pm

I can't help but feel that as a BLSA chair I'm supposed to try to convince you here... how fond are you of Monticello?

D Brooks

Silver

Post by D Brooks » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:52 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
I can't help but feel that as a BLSA chair I'm supposed to try to convince you here... how fond are you of Monticello?

Hahah. One very compelling reason is that my parents would murder me if I told them I was going to defer.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:17 pm

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:21 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
I didn't know you were a BLSA chair. May the gays steal the BLSA website? It's very pretty.
lol. take it all. I'm just happy not to be in charge of maintaining it. Whoever took it over did a really nicee job with the photos and videos.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:56 pm

D Brooks wrote:
whattodo2008 wrote:
D Brooks wrote: So charge books to account, use them for about 2 weeks while I wait for my online books to arrive, then return bookstore books?

Yeah, this could be credited.

2Ls: How far out in advance will the casebook list come out before 2nd semester?

Also, about how much more $$ will I be paying overall if I go the bookstore route for the first semester?

Casebook list was out by the end of December - I was able to use this for ordering casebooks on 3/4 classes, but I decided to ride the waitlist for a class and didn't get in until the week before spring classes started

I think there was a $150 difference between buying new on Amazon and new in the bookstore.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:02 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
Wait. You're trying to convince a black person to attend school by invoking the name of a nearby slave plantation?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”