UVA Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
flyingpanda

Silver

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Post by flyingpanda » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:11 am

YCrevolution wrote:
plum wrote:so a lot of these classes seem to have a no-laptop rule. do professors generally let you record the lectures or is that against the rules?
Generally most would prefer that you don't record, from what I've observed. For the ones that do, they often just record it themselves and post it online for everyone in the class.

It really isn't as bad as it seems... most of the time, classes aren't going so fast that you won't be able to keep up.
Now I'm glad I never used a laptop in college. I'll be ready for this.

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:01 pm

billyez wrote:<----- Is going to be the guy who hides his recorder if it's not allowed and record lectures anyway.

How did you find out which classes had no-laptop rules?
some of the classes list it on their synopsis found here: http://lawnotes2.law.virginia.edu/lawwe ... Expand=1#1

yeah hiding a recorder is tempting if it is not allowed. however, the idea of having wasted $250k and not being able to practice law because i fail C&F has suddenly made me a more cautious, ethical (and paranoid) person... so i'd probably just email the professor to ask his/her permission to bring a recorder and if they said no, oh well, i'll just have to learn to write faster. and like YC says, it shouldn't be a big deal since class is not going at full-speed all the time hopefully.

rsr28

New

Post by rsr28 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:22 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
Cavalier wrote:
plum wrote:sorry if this has been asked before or is really obvious but...
for 1L classes, is there just one final exam which is 100% of the grade? or are there midterms and such?
Some small-section classes will have one or two graded midterms, but I believe all of the larger classes just have a final that is worth 100% of your grade. Several professors during first semester, however, will give a practice midterm.
Did any sections have a real graded midterm? I knew of a few sections where if you did better on the midterm than your final then and only then the midterm would count, but that does very little work in practice.
That system doesn't do anything, because the requirements for the curve are still the same. Really, its only effect is to reward inconsistency.

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:35 pm

Anyone here interested in getting together some sort of flag football team for the fall?

For that matter do people from the Law School typically play?

ogman05

Bronze

Post by ogman05 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:00 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:Anyone here interested in getting together some sort of flag football team for the fall?

I'd be down. Definitely more of the football player type and want to keep the exercise up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rsr28

New

Post by rsr28 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:40 pm

ogman05 wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:Anyone here interested in getting together some sort of flag football team for the fall?

I'd be down. Definitely more of the football player type and want to keep the exercise up.
FYI intramurals are only three-game seasons + playoffs. But, for flag football especially, you always seem to end up with at least one or two forfeits. And the games are 40 minutes running-time. Moral of the story: don't count on intramurals for exercise.

ogman05

Bronze

Post by ogman05 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:44 pm

rsr28 wrote:
ogman05 wrote:

FYI intramurals are only three-game seasons + playoffs. But, for flag football especially, you always seem to end up with at least one or two forfeits. And the games are 40 minutes running-time. Moral of the story: don't count on intramurals for exercise.
Thanks RS. Think im pretty adept with staying in shape. Wasn't leaning solely on intramurals for exercise but a way to keep it fun and get some cardio. I workout 4-5 times a week.

Lady LaLa

New

Post by Lady LaLa » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:48 pm

Hey Guys,

I'll be moving into Ivy Gardens this Saturday, the 31st, and would be forever thankful if anyone could help with moving big items like a couch and mattress. I promise to compensate with beer and pizza, or whatever else your stomach may desire. Please PM me if you can help. Thanks in advance. I'm looking forward to meeting all of you in the coming weeks!

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:57 pm

plum wrote:
billyez wrote:<----- Is going to be the guy who hides his recorder if it's not allowed and record lectures anyway.

some of the classes list it on their synopsis found here: http://lawnotes2.law.virginia.edu/lawwe ... Expand=1#1

yeah hiding a recorder is tempting if it is not allowed. however, the idea of having wasted $250k and not being able to practice law because i fail C&F has suddenly made me a more cautious, ethical (and paranoid) person... so i'd probably just email the professor to ask his/her permission to bring a recorder and if they said no, oh well, i'll just have to learn to write faster. and like YC says, it shouldn't be a big deal since class is not going at full-speed all the time hopefully.
Thanks for the link, plum.

The idea of spending over a hundred grand and being told that I'm not able to use a laptop or a tape recorder would fill me with enough righteous indignation to just conceal it properly, personally. But to each their own - besides, my handwriting is nearly indecipherable.
Last edited by billyez on Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:27 pm

billyez wrote:The idea of spending over a hundred grand and not being told that I'm not able to use a laptop or a tape recorder would fill me with enough righteous indignation to just conceal it properly, personally.
If you consider a statement like this acceptable, the legal profession may not be for you.

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:33 pm

Yeah, yeah. Whatever you say, dude.

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:40 pm

YCrevolution wrote:It really isn't as bad as it seems... most of the time, classes aren't going so fast that you won't be able to keep up.
But see Caleb E. Nelson, Civil Procedure.

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:48 am

SuichiKurama wrote:When people say that the school is offering Office 2010 for $10 do they mean the update or do they mean you can buy the program brand new?
is OneNote included in this?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:13 am

plum wrote:
SuichiKurama wrote:When people say that the school is offering Office 2010 for $10 do they mean the update or do they mean you can buy the program brand new?
is OneNote included in this?
He said it was the Student Version, which does come with OneNote. So I'm assuming it does.

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:27 am

billyez wrote:
plum wrote:

Thanks for the link, plum.

The idea of spending over a hundred grand and being told that I'm not able to use a laptop or a tape recorder would fill me with enough righteous indignation to just conceal it properly, personally. But to each their own - besides, my handwriting is nearly indecipherable.
For such a square, you're surprisingly willing to go this route.

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:39 am

I'm half-joking - mostly out of frustration that the two ways I've crafted notes in college (recordings and my latptop) are being pushed aside and I'm going to have to regress to high school tactics of note-taking now. In reality, I don't have the cajones to break rules very often, even if I think they're silly.

jdavid901

New

Post by jdavid901 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:52 am

plum wrote:so a lot of these classes seem to have a no-laptop rule. do professors generally let you record the lectures or is that against the rules?
Doesn't seem too bad, unless you happen to get placed in section C. Those folks are gonna need to buy some extra notebooks.

Classes That Prohibit Laptops
Civil Procedure -- A B C D E F G H I J K L
Contracts -------- A B C D E F G H I J K L
Criminal Law ----- A B C D E F G H I J K L
Torts ------------- A B C D E F G H I J K L
Research --------- A B C D E F G H I J K L
& Legal Writing

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:28 am

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:53 pm

Really? After following plum's link and reviewing the LRW classes, it appears that not a single one of them prohibits laptops from being in use. Or is this something we should expect in spite of this?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:54 pm

billyez wrote:Really? After following plum's link and reviewing the LRW classes, it appears that not a single one of them prohibits laptops from being in use. Or is this something we should expect in spite of this?
You're not using a laptop in LRW, I guarantee it.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:55 pm

billyez wrote:Really? After following plum's link and reviewing the LRW classes, it appears that not a single one of them prohibits laptops from being in use. Or is this something we should expect in spite of this?
My LRW class banned them.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

memaha

Bronze

Post by memaha » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:16 pm

Is it really that difficult for people to use a pen and some paper for note-taking?

jdavid901

New

Post by jdavid901 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:50 pm

memaha wrote:Is it really that difficult for people to use a pen and some paper for note-taking?
That's soooo 1999.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:53 pm

memaha wrote:Is it really that difficult for people to use a pen and some paper for note-taking?
I actually did it for all my classes, even the ones where laptops were allowed. I found it made me focus more and took away distractions other students fell into. I think I did pretty well that way.

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:01 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
I actually did it for all my classes, even the ones where laptops were allowed. I found it made me focus more and took away distractions other students fell into. I think I did pretty well that way.
yeah i'm sure there is a memory-retention advantage to typing up your notes after class. also, writing would force you to listen to the main points and structure of what is being said instead of simply transcribing every word you hear with your brain turned off. it seems like it would require more active listening. lol, this is all what i'm going to tell myself if i end up in section C.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”