UVA Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
lilspainishflea

New

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Post by lilspainishflea » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:44 pm

FeuerFrei wrote:The website says cost of attendance is $63000 but was awarded $67700. Is tuition really going up $4700/year?
The award was given in that amount because awards needed to be finished before the board set the 2010-11 Cost of Attendance (tuition, living expenses, books). They wanted to make sure students were covered in case of an increase. It's not certain that the COA will increase that much.

FeuerFrei

Bronze

Post by FeuerFrei » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:09 pm

Last edited by FeuerFrei on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:16 pm

FeuerFrei wrote:
lilspainishflea wrote:
FeuerFrei wrote:The website says cost of attendance is $63000 but was awarded $67700. Is tuition really going up $4700/year?
The award was given in that amount because awards needed to be finished before the board set the 2010-11 Cost of Attendance (tuition, living expenses, books). They wanted to make sure students were covered in case of an increase. It's not certain that the COA will increase that much.
So if COA ends up being 65000, can we borrow the 67700 or only 65000?
65K. Your authorized loan amount will be capped at tuition/fees+COA.

Philo38

Bronze

Post by Philo38 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:07 pm

Locked down a 2BR at the Jeffersonian, there were no more 2BR W/DEN left, when they got to us.

Trouble is, the only move in dates she offered were July 1 and August 16, so it looks like I am moving in at the VERY last moment.

Can't say exactly how many are left because having a dog we were very restricted in the ones we could choose from, but there are atleast 3 2BRs left. Pretty worried about the move-in date but couldn't justify paying an extra month's rent when we aren't even going to be there . . .

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:26 pm

Sweet Philo hopefully we'll be neighbors!! I really need an August move in date so hopefully there will be some 2 bedrooms with Aug. move ins when they hit the 30's on the waitlist

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Philo38

Bronze

Post by Philo38 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:33 pm

Doritos wrote:Sweet Philo hopefully we'll be neighbors!! I really need an August move in date so hopefully there will be some 2 bedrooms with Aug. move ins when they hit the 30's on the waitlist
I hope so. It may make you feel better that I was number 22 and I was number 10 by the time she got to me, so maybe you aren't as far from the top of her stack as you think, especially if more people keep bailing. I will say that all of the 2BRs she offered me in Aug were all Aug 16th so that sucks, but dogs are not allowed on the 3rd floor so there could be even more available up there. Good luck.

thepunisher24

Bronze

Post by thepunisher24 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:39 pm

Philo38 wrote:
Doritos wrote:Sweet Philo hopefully we'll be neighbors!! I really need an August move in date so hopefully there will be some 2 bedrooms with Aug. move ins when they hit the 30's on the waitlist
I hope so. It may make you feel better that I was number 22 and I was number 10 by the time she got to me, so maybe you aren't as far from the top of her stack as you think, especially if more people keep bailing. I will say that all of the 2BRs she offered me in Aug were all Aug 16th so that sucks, but dogs are not allowed on the 3rd floor so there could be even more available up there. Good luck.
Not sure I understand what you're saying here, do you mean you were originally #22 on the list, and only the 10th to select an apartment?

somethingpretty

New

Post by somethingpretty » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:17 pm

jmaan wrote:
astro1819 wrote:Just received a response from Virginia with regard to my request to match Michigan's scholarship offer: denied. "We are unable to adjust your award until we have a better idea of how our deposits are coming in."

The reality of $203,100 sets in. Someone talk me out of turning down my dream school and following the money. I just don't think I can afford to take on such a heavy debt load.

just go for it bro....if its that big of a dream for you, you wont regret it.

I'm also about to see if UVA will match another scholarship offer (Duke's, in my case) - it's only 3k/year more than what UVA is already offering. It might seem like a petty request but I was so torn between the two schools for awhile that a match would give me peace of mind about the decision more than anything else.

Anyone have ideas about a tactful way to go about this?

Philo38

Bronze

Post by Philo38 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:29 pm

thepunisher24 wrote:
Philo38 wrote:
Not sure I understand what you're saying here, do you mean you were originally #22 on the list, and only the 10th to select an apartment?
Yeah, sorry that was unclear. I was originally number 22 and when I emailed Kathy early this week she told me I had moved up to number 10. I assume there are plenty of people who were on the waitlist who chose to find other arrangments / went with Ivy / or hooked up as roomates. I don't really know, it seems a bit odd.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

whoknows12

New

Post by whoknows12 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:01 pm

Hello,
Does anybody remember seeing a PDF that has explanations of different apartment complexes around the law school? I can't find it and don't really remember where i got it from.

Also, my friend is considering UVA for graduate school and will be on the main grounds. Are there any worthwhile housing options between law school and main gronds? Would I be able to drive and park at the law school as a 1L?

Thanks!

astro1819

Bronze

Post by astro1819 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:03 pm

jmaan wrote:
astro1819 wrote:Just received a response from Virginia with regard to my request to match Michigan's scholarship offer: denied. "We are unable to adjust your award until we have a better idea of how our deposits are coming in."

The reality of $203,100 sets in. Someone talk me out of turning down my dream school and following the money. I just don't think I can afford to take on such a heavy debt load.

OK, so I just visited Vanderbilt and decided it's not the right fit -- and it also helped me to realize that, regardless of cost, Virginia Law IS the perfect fit for me.

However, I am still concerned about cost and think I may have a chance securing a small scholarship that matches Michigan's. I want to place a deposit, but I don't want to ruin my chances of receiving some aid. Does anyone think there is a chance that they'll extend additional offers of merit aid closer to the deposit deadline? Or even after it? There's plenty of talk here about negotiating scholarships, but I'm not sure how the dynamics change later in the process.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:06 am

whoknows12 wrote:Hello,
Does anybody remember seeing a PDF that has explanations of different apartment complexes around the law school? I can't find it and don't really remember where i got it from.

Also, my friend is considering UVA for graduate school and will be on the main grounds. Are there any worthwhile housing options between law school and main gronds? Would I be able to drive and park at the law school as a 1L?

Thanks!
This? --LinkRemoved-- (not an exhaustive list)

Yes, you'd probably be fine parking at the law school as a 1L. "Worthwhile" kinda depends what you're looking for in housing.

Philo38

Bronze

Post by Philo38 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:08 am

astro1819 wrote:
jmaan wrote:

OK, so I just visited Vanderbilt and decided it's not the right fit -- and it also helped me to realize that, regardless of cost, Virginia Law IS the perfect fit for me.

However, I am still concerned about cost and think I may have a chance securing a small scholarship that matches Michigan's. I want to place a deposit, but I don't want to ruin my chances of receiving some aid. Does anyone think there is a chance that they'll extend additional offers of merit aid closer to the deposit deadline? Or even after it? There's plenty of talk here about negotiating scholarships, but I'm not sure how the dynamics change later in the process.
Do you mind if I asked what turned you off to Vandy? I live a block away from Vandy and its a family school back multiple generations so I'm a bit protective of it. Even though UVA is OBVIOUSLY better, which is why I'll be there next year.

It wasn't Nashville I hope.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:08 am

Philo38 wrote:
I talked to Kathy earlier this week and was told that there were no 2 bdrooms left with August 1 availability, just the August 16th and July 1st. Apparently all the previous renters on the August 16th rooms are firm on their moveout dates too. Either gonna have to pay out a free month of rent, or move in right before classes start.

astro1819

Bronze

Post by astro1819 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:59 am

Philo38 wrote:
astro1819 wrote:
jmaan wrote:

Do you mind if I asked what turned you off to Vandy? I live a block away from Vandy and its a family school back multiple generations so I'm a bit protective of it. Even though UVA is OBVIOUSLY better, which is why I'll be there next year.

It wasn't Nashville I hope.
Personal preference. Vandy put on a great show and their facilities are really nice. People were welcoming and everything, so I can't really complain about it. But it's a bit too urban for me (I loved the small-town feel of Virginia) and farther from family. And there were some intangibles that made me decide that I would just fit better and thrive at Virginia. Virginia is the only school that I could confidently say "this fits", hence why I'm willing to pay in full.

TheSharklord

Bronze

Post by TheSharklord » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:12 pm

Got a 1 BR w/ Den at Ivy (though this was a week and change ago, so if you're waiting to hear back, be advised). Pretty pumped. I have to say esp. after the ASW I'm really looking forward to UVA. From the perspective of someone coming from big cities all his life (live around DC, undergrad in Philly), I'm actually thinking that C'ville will be a nice respite from that, at a time that's going to be stressful enough w/o external distraction. And you can see the stars. It's ridiculous. Like, all of them.

bowie8285

Bronze

Post by bowie8285 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:37 pm

Last edited by bowie8285 on Mon May 10, 2010 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

virginny

New

Post by virginny » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:57 pm

(Posted this last week, re-bumping in case anyone is still looking. The place will also be available for sublet too over the summer.)

Anyone looking for an apartment for next year? I need a roommate. I'm a male, soon to be 2L, looking for male or female roommate.

All I ask of my roommate is to be moderately neat, friendly, and respectful. We'd split the rent and the utilities.

I have a great place at Ivy Garden:

- new unit, new appliances
- 2 BR/2 BA...you get your own full bathroom
- brick fireplace (haven't actually used it, but lots of people do)
- patio
- free parking
- very close to laundry room and pool/clubhouse
- right next to Leonard Sandridge Road (you are as close to the law school as possible at Ivy)
- 5 minute walk to school (I bike sometimes - takes literally 1 minute)
- 2 minute walk to North Grounds Rec Center
- 10 minute to John Paul Jones Arena (concerts)

Despite any bad things you've heard about Ivy, I LOVE IT. You can't beat the convenience and my apartment (not all Ivy apts) is really nice. It's nice and quiet too, but you have easy access to all the parties that go on throughout the rest of the complex.

If interested, shoot me a email at swpetrilli68@yahoo.com or PM me

EDIT: pics of apt or complex available upon request

lilspainishflea

New

Post by lilspainishflea » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:03 pm

Serious question, how many dudes here have bought Sperry top-siders?

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:24 pm

lilspainishflea wrote:Serious question, how many dudes here have bought Sperry top-siders?
I already own some. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? :?

BigJiggaJ87

New

Post by BigJiggaJ87 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:27 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
lilspainishflea wrote:Serious question, how many dudes here have bought Sperry top-siders?
I already own some. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? :?
It's a great thing. A man could never have too many pairs of Sperrys.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bowie8285

Bronze

Post by bowie8285 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:18 pm

Last edited by bowie8285 on Mon May 10, 2010 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dgouzoul

Bronze

Post by dgouzoul » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:27 am

Anybody know how to go about changing a permanent home address in SIS? parents moved and i can't seem to figure out how to navigate the SIS maze to edit it

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:32 am

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:41 am

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”