UVA Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:57 pm

Doritos wrote:Ok guys, I got bone to pick with Kevin Donovan. Apparently he replied to the Law Weekly article on a password protected blog and apparently students got the username and password emailed to them. At least this blog told me so...http://www.uvalawblog.com/. Why can't I see it? I just dropped a G to hold my seat and am about to take out a butt load of loans...aren't I entitled to see his retort? Aren't such rebuttals supposed to clear the air or make a public correction? How does that work when the public can't see it. I haz sad now... :(
Expect a PM shortly which will calm you down (hopefully).

dgouzoul

Bronze

Post by dgouzoul » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:15 pm

can i have a PM too if i ask nicely? prty plz

slider

Bronze

Post by slider » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:17 pm

dgouzoul wrote:can i have a PM too if i ask nicely? prty plz
Oh me too me too!! Pretty Please :)

jnorsky

Bronze

Post by jnorsky » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:23 pm

slider wrote:
dgouzoul wrote:can i have a PM too if i ask nicely? prty plz
Oh me too me too!! Pretty Please :)
Can I get one as well, Thanks

avacado111

Bronze

Post by avacado111 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:34 pm

I am on the please parade...

but please :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:36 pm

avacado111 wrote:I am on the please parade...

but please :D
sure...why not? me too?

:mrgreen:

HJO

Bronze

Post by HJO » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:36 pm

can we just have it posted in the thread?

D Brooks

Silver

Post by D Brooks » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:37 pm

HJO wrote:can we just have it posted in the thread?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:40 pm

I'm sorry guys, I think there's a misunderstanding. I'm not sharing an entire article posted on a locked site with everybody. I don't want to get myself in trouble.

It's mostly just "yes, the job market is bad, but here's something you can do to greatly increase your chances of finding work this summer". It's a rather mundane article actually; why it's posted behind lock and key, I'm not sure. I think it's just because the entire blog is designed to be locked.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thatguyyouknow

New

Post by thatguyyouknow » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:51 pm

If we've been accepted, can we activate our email accounts and take a look at the article? Anyone know how to do this?

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:52 pm

thatguyyouknow

New

Post by thatguyyouknow » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:57 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
thatguyyouknow wrote:If we've been accepted, can we activate our email accounts and take a look at the article? Anyone know how to do this?
You'd have to contact Career Services for login credentials.
gotcha, thanks! I'll probably just enjoy the fact that I got into UVA in the first place instead of bothering the people Career Services before I even get to the school.

Lady LaLa

New

Post by Lady LaLa » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:44 pm

This is a bit off topic, but relates to some of the posts from a few days back.......

I completed my FAFSA and the UVA Institutional FinAid form on Sunday. According to FAFSA, I am an independent and did not have to include data on my parents' finances. I included their info. on the UVA Institutional form, but it was just limited to cash and stocks, basically (they form did not ask for my parents' income.) After reading some of the posts on TSL, I was made aware that I would have to include my parents' financials on my FAFSA to be considered for need-based aid via UVA. The problem is that my parents are not supporting me in law school at all. It's all on me. I'm worried that if I edit my FAFSA, which says I don't need to include my parents' finances, just to get need-based aid from UVA, I will hurt my overall aid package because it will look like I have more money available to me than I actually do (especially because of my father's salary).

What should I do? If I don't include the info. on the FAFSA, which I am not required to include, I hurt my chances of need-based aid from UVA, but if I do include the info. I hurt my chances for federal, as well as institutional, money. Any suggestions/advice?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:48 pm

Lady LaLa wrote:This is a bit off topic, but relates to some of the posts from a few days back.......

I completed my FAFSA and the UVA Institutional FinAid form on Sunday. According to FAFSA, I am an independent and did not have to include data on my parents' finances. I included their info. on the UVA Institutional form, but it was just limited to cash and stocks, basically (they form did not ask for my parents' income.) After reading some of the posts on TSL, I was made aware that I would have to include my parents' financials on my FAFSA to be considered for need-based aid via UVA. The problem is that my parents are not supporting me in law school at all. It's all on me. I'm worried that if I edit my FAFSA, which says I don't need to include my parents' finances, just to get need-based aid from UVA, I will hurt my overall aid package because it will look like I have more money available to me than I actually do (especially because of my father's salary).

What should I do? If I don't include the info. on the FAFSA, which I am not required to include, I hurt my chances of need-based aid from UVA, but if I do include the info. I hurt my chances for federal, as well as institutional, money. Any suggestions/advice?
Contact the financial aid office, ask them directly whether you need to include FAFSA info on your parents, and then if they tell you that you do, do it.

You'll hurt your aid package more by not following the financial aid office's guidance than you will by including money you don't want to on it.

FeuerFrei

Bronze

Post by FeuerFrei » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:12 pm

Last edited by FeuerFrei on Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:40 pm

FeuerFrei wrote:
Lady LaLa wrote:This is a bit off topic, but relates to some of the posts from a few days back.......

From the UVA Website "Beginning with the Class of 2013, entering students who are unmarried and 26 or younger when they enroll in the Law School are required to provide parental financial aid information on both the FAFSA and the Institutional Application for Financial Aid to be considered for scholarship assistance with a need factor. This requirement, however, may be waived in cases of extreme hardship. Please contact the Office of Financial Aid for additional waiver information."

I'd include your parents info, otherwise you're going to get $0.

edit: $0 in scholarships, you'll obv still get loans

This is why I lurk on these forums. Information such as this. Thank you my UVa friend. Off to edit my FAFSA...

whattodo2008

Bronze

Post by whattodo2008 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:41 pm

Doritos wrote:
FeuerFrei wrote:

From the UVA Website "Beginning with the Class of 2013, entering students who are unmarried and 26 or younger when they enroll in the Law School are required to provide parental financial aid information on both the FAFSA and the Institutional Application for Financial Aid to be considered for scholarship assistance with a need factor. This requirement, however, may be waived in cases of extreme hardship. Please contact the Office of Financial Aid for additional waiver information."

I'd include your parents info, otherwise you're going to get $0.

edit: $0 in scholarships, you'll obv still get loans

This is why I lurk on these forums. Information such as this. Thank you my UVa friend. Off to edit my FAFSA...
Second that. I didn't have my parents info in the FAFSA. Time to ask them how much $ they made last year!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dgouzoul

Bronze

Post by dgouzoul » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:14 pm

is it safe to say that if you know damn well you wont get need based $ that you dont need to edit your fafsa for parents info? (parent info is completed on uva's form)

Lady LaLa

New

Post by Lady LaLa » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:33 pm

That's my quandry, Dgouzoul. If I leave the parental info. blank on the FAFSA, since I can because I'm defined as an "independent," will I still get need-based aid from the government via grants, etc? If so, I'm better off leaving my parents' info. out of the FAFSA, right?

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:49 pm

whattodo2008

Bronze

Post by whattodo2008 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:54 pm

hmm, my parents made around 100k combined last year, own a house on a mortgage. I'm guessing this disqualifies me for "need-based" right? I know they look at more things, but I think income is probably a big one. I'm just not sure how law schools measure need, seeing that tuition is much higher than in undergrad. Any input?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

D Brooks

Silver

Post by D Brooks » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:12 pm

whattodo2008 wrote:hmm, my parents made around 100k combined last year, own a house on a mortgage. I'm guessing this disqualifies me for "need-based" right? I know they look at more things, but I think income is probably a big one. I'm just not sure how law schools measure need, seeing that tuition is much higher than in undergrad. Any input?
Not necessarily. My parents combined income is significantly higher than the highest IRS tax bracket and I still expect to get some need-based aid. I have three sisters though, two of which begin dental/med school this summer.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:24 pm

FYI guys its not as easy as editing your FAFSA form. The FinAid office told me I had to fill out the parental section on a Pre-Application Form and send that ish in. So I was told to fill out the extra form as well as edit my FAFSA

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:26 pm

Doritos wrote:FYI guys its not as easy as editing your FAFSA form. The FinAid office told me I had to fill out the parental section on a Pre-Application Form and send that ish in. So I was told to fill out the extra form as well as edit my FAFSA
What is a Pre-Application form, and why is it not listed under "Forms" on their finaid website?

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:29 pm

oneforship wrote:
Doritos wrote:FYI guys its not as easy as editing your FAFSA form. The FinAid office told me I had to fill out the parental section on a Pre-Application Form and send that ish in. So I was told to fill out the extra form as well as edit my FAFSA
What is a Pre-Application form, and why is it not listed under "Forms" on their finaid website?
It's this form...http://www.law.virginia.edu/pdf/admissi ... d_1011.pdf

They wanted me to fill out the parental section of it

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”