UVA Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
showNprove

Silver

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Post by showNprove » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:03 pm

Sections F and J are going to be spoiled by that professor lineup. You may never have a better semester than your first.

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:05 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
flyingpanda wrote:Just got my ID, got lost on the way. Ended up taking like an hour for me to get there, it's fricking hot outside.
:|
The place was at observatory hill dining hall. When I stopped to ask for directions I only said observatory hill, and was directed towards the actual observatory lol.

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:07 pm

I ran out of hardwood floor to pull up so now I just have loose rusty nails and saw dust everywhere. Thus, I'm looking for something else to do tonight. PM me or find me on facebook, some of you know who I am. My roomie and I are both looking to meet and greet tonight.

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:18 pm

flyingpanda wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
flyingpanda wrote:Just got my ID, got lost on the way. Ended up taking like an hour for me to get there, it's fricking hot outside.
:|
The place was at observatory hill dining hall. When I stopped to ask for directions I only said observatory hill, and was directed towards the actual observatory lol.
My GPS did the same thing, only I was in a car, so it didn't suck nearly as bad. The funny thing was, I eventually came down the hill and decided to search around on the virtual map, so I pulled off the side of the road into a loading dock area for a UVA building. I looked down at my GPS, and it showed my car literally inside the building labeled "Observatory Hill Dining." That was apparently their loading dock.

heathbar88

New

Post by heathbar88 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:42 pm

Also interested in meeting & greeting or whatever else is going on tonight..so let me know!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wackjickham

Bronze

Post by wackjickham » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:58 pm

Figured I'd post on here and direct people to the facebook page, we've got a decent group meeting in Ivy to go out to the Corner tonight. Details are on the UVA Law c/o 2013 facebook page or just PM me.

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:40 pm

wackjickham wrote:Figured I'd post on here and direct people to the facebook page, we've got a decent group meeting in Ivy to go out to the Corner tonight. Details are on the UVA Law c/o 2013 facebook page or just PM me.
I'll be there.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:07 am

Were any of you at a party in U-Heights or Biltmore tonight? I may have met you or at least been in your vicinity. Welcome to Cville for those of you just arriving.

heathbar88

New

Post by heathbar88 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:46 am

Ooo I was at the Biltmore. Love UVA more every day..that may stop once classes start haha. I kid :P

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:59 am

gladiator wrote:Were any of you at a party in U-Heights or Biltmore tonight? I may have met you or at least been in your vicinity. Welcome to Cville for those of you just arriving.
Biltmore was awesome last night. Totally screwed up my plans for this morning, but I'm glad I went out.

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:01 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
gladiator wrote:Were any of you at a party in U-Heights or Biltmore tonight? I may have met you or at least been in your vicinity. Welcome to Cville for those of you just arriving.
Biltmore was awesome last night. Totally screwed up my plans for this morning, but I'm glad I went out.
The hike? Pretty sure I know who you are IRL now. My plan for world domination progresses according to plan.

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:16 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:
The hike? Pretty sure I know who you are IRL now. My plan for world domination progresses according to plan.
Yeah, but I know you too. And I know panda, and a bunch of other people. So it was worth outing myself somewhat.

TheSharklord

Bronze

Post by TheSharklord » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:16 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:
Hmm...well this is a bit awkward, but I already had made plans for world domination. I'll be more than happy to give you Russia or something. ;)

If you (or anyone else) wants to negotiate for various fiefdoms in the coming Sharklord World Order, feel free to swing by my apartment in Ivy. I'm trying to unpack stuff and all so feel free to come by and hang out if you like. I have a few drink options (and somewhat less food options--kitchen is still a work in progress) as well, if that's of interest. ;)

Shoot me a PM for my number/address.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

itsirtou

Bronze

Post by itsirtou » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:35 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
haha a couple people I talked to last night at the Biltmore were thinking of going hiking in the morning. I am guessing those plans didn't work out.

The Biltmore was awesome though!

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:52 pm

Gladiator's PSAs/Pro-tips for the class of 2013:

1. Buy a softball glove. UVA softball is serious business. You'll all have your section teams and have games approximately once a week and then playoffs. In the fall, the season runs from early September to some point in November usually. In the spring, the season runs from mid-March to the end of April. If you're particularly good, you might be able to form your own 1L team or get recruited onto 1 of the 2L/3L teams. Also if you're good, you might get picked for the Invitational teams (every April, 100+ teams from law schools come to UVA for a weekend tournament; we win frequently and it's a really good weekend).
2. If you plan to play softball a lot, buy cleats. Even if you're not playing a lot, have shoes and socks you'll wear only for softball because the dirt at Copeley will permanently stain them.
3. If you plan to play softball a ridiculous amount, buy a bat, balls, batting gloves.
4. When sections come out, check the bulletin board in Slaughter Hall next to Student Records for 1st day assignments.
5. LRW is going to be the bane of your existence, but on the bright side it's pass/fail.
6. Very early on in the year, you're going to vote on section positions so decide what you might want to run for (softball captain- manages the team and has to get a sponsor and uniforms, PILA rep, FYC rep- plans events, treasurer).
7. The first month of school is probably going to seem fairly easy. Don't be fooled, it gets harder. You're going to get hit with a lot of social events though so stay on top of your academic stuff so you don't have to bail on fun things as the semester goes on. Things die down by mid-November so you'll have time to prep for finals without missing things.
8. Do your best to meet people now because once school starts, they try very hard to do a lot of section events so it's better if you already know people in other sections.
9. Don't be an idiot and walk alone at 3 AM down a dark street. Charlottesville doesn't have much crime but there's still some.

A brief schedule of stuff for 1L year (you'll also probably have a lot of section events in there):

Late Aug/Early September- Dandelion Parade (each section performs a skit or dance to reflect their letter of the alphabet in front of the 2Ls and 3Ls). It's fairly close to hazing but if you really don't want to do it, nobody is going to care. The section with the best skit gets the privilege of getting destroyed by the NGSL team in the first game of the softball season that night and are usually too drunk to remember; then there's a party after the game.

Sat 9/4- First UVA home football game, there will be probably be a UVA Law tailgate event.

Late September- Foxfields. Drunken outdoor Southern-mockery event...and there are horses.

Early October- Fall Break

Early November- PILA Auction. Get dressed up and bid on things like dinners with professors; don't make the mistake of getting so drunk you bid on stuff you can't afford or don't want...but if you did you wouldn't be the first or the last.

Mid-December- last day of fall finals, chaos ensues

February- Feb Club- themed parties at student houses every night of February. One of the Saturdays is Barrister's Ball, essentially law school prom

Late February- Journal writing competition

Early March- LRW brief due

Late March/Early April- LRW Oral Arguments

Early April- UVA Softball Invitational weekend

Other Events:
-Wed nights is trivia at Mellow Mushroom. You should go at least once. You have to get there early though (6:30-7) to eat and then stick around for trivia from around 9-11. Tues night is trivia at McGradys but it's not as good.
-Our soccer, baseball, and lacrosse teams are actually good and the stadiums are pretty close to the law school so you should go.
-If you like dancing, Three is good but DO NOT go there before midnight. Otherwise, all the bars on the Corner are about the same so learn the drink specials.
-Again DO NOT go before midnight, but Christian's (pizza), White Spot (burgers), and Littlejohns (sandwiches) are the places to go for late night food.
-Every Thurs afternoon there's a keg in Spies Garden (middle courtyard of the school)

And of course if any of you have any questions, you can feel free to ask.

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:43 pm

just bought a softball glove, actually

itsirtou

Bronze

Post by itsirtou » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:33 pm

I am catastrophically bad at softball, this should be interesting.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:41 pm

gladiator wrote:Gladiator's PSAs/Pro-tips for the class of 2013:

1. Buy a softball glove. UVA softball is serious business. You'll all have your section teams and have games approximately once a week and then playoffs. In the fall, the season runs from early September to some point in November usually. In the spring, the season runs from mid-March to the end of April. If you're particularly good, you might be able to form your own 1L team or get recruited onto 1 of the 2L/3L teams. Also if you're good, you might get picked for the Invitational teams (every April, 100+ teams from law schools come to UVA for a weekend tournament; we win frequently and it's a really good weekend).
2. If you plan to play softball a lot, buy cleats. Even if you're not playing a lot, have shoes and socks you'll wear only for softball because the dirt at Copeley will permanently stain them.
3. If you plan to play softball a ridiculous amount, buy a bat, balls, batting gloves.
4. When sections come out, check the bulletin board in Slaughter Hall next to Student Records for 1st day assignments.
5. LRW is going to be the bane of your existence, but on the bright side it's pass/fail.
6. Very early on in the year, you're going to vote on section positions so decide what you might want to run for (softball captain- manages the team and has to get a sponsor and uniforms, PILA rep, FYC rep- plans events, treasurer).
7. The first month of school is probably going to seem fairly easy. Don't be fooled, it gets harder. You're going to get hit with a lot of social events though so stay on top of your academic stuff so you don't have to bail on fun things as the semester goes on. Things die down by mid-November so you'll have time to prep for finals without missing things.
8. Do your best to meet people now because once school starts, they try very hard to do a lot of section events so it's better if you already know people in other sections.
9. Don't be an idiot and walk alone at 3 AM down a dark street. Charlottesville doesn't have much crime but there's still some.

A brief schedule of stuff for 1L year (you'll also probably have a lot of section events in there):

Late Aug/Early September- Dandelion Parade (each section performs a skit or dance to reflect their letter of the alphabet in front of the 2Ls and 3Ls). It's fairly close to hazing but if you really don't want to do it, nobody is going to care. The section with the best skit gets the privilege of getting destroyed by the NGSL team in the first game of the softball season that night and are usually too drunk to remember; then there's a party after the game.

Sat 9/4- First UVA home football game, there will be probably be a UVA Law tailgate event.

Late September- Foxfields. Drunken outdoor Southern-mockery event...and there are horses.

Early October- Fall Break

Early November- PILA Auction. Get dressed up and bid on things like dinners with professors; don't make the mistake of getting so drunk you bid on stuff you can't afford or don't want...but if you did you wouldn't be the first or the last.

Mid-December- last day of fall finals, chaos ensues

February- Feb Club- themed parties at student houses every night of February. One of the Saturdays is Barrister's Ball, essentially law school prom

Late February- Journal writing competition

Early March- LRW brief due

Late March/Early April- LRW Oral Arguments

Early April- UVA Softball Invitational weekend

Other Events:
-Wed nights is trivia at Mellow Mushroom. You should go at least once. You have to get there early though (6:30-7) to eat and then stick around for trivia from around 9-11. Tues night is trivia at McGradys but it's not as good.
-Our soccer, baseball, and lacrosse teams are actually good and the stadiums are pretty close to the law school so you should go.
-If you like dancing, Three is good but DO NOT go there before midnight. Otherwise, all the bars on the Corner are about the same so learn the drink specials.
-Again DO NOT go before midnight, but Christian's (pizza), White Spot (burgers), and Littlejohns (sandwiches) are the places to go for late night food.
-Every Thurs afternoon there's a keg in Spies Garden (middle courtyard of the school)

And of course if any of you have any questions, you can feel free to ask.
And be nice to your Dillard Fellows!

jcunni5

Bronze

Post by jcunni5 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:42 pm

I was at the biltmore good times

and definitely did NOT make the hike i would have died

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:45 pm

I once walked from the law school to Buddhist. Will never do that again.

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:47 pm

itsirtou wrote:I am catastrophically bad at softball, this should be interesting.
Yeah, same here. Not exactly looking forward to being creamed at it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:56 pm

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:36 pm

Within the 1st 2 months of school, about 50% of people decide softball isn't their thing and largely stop playing so don't think being bad or not playing will make you an outcast. I would recommend going at least the first few times because it's a good section bonding experience and there are plenty of people that aren't good so you'll hardly be alone. If you are good though, it's a very good way to become ingratiated into the culture.

leavingnc

New

Post by leavingnc » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:56 pm

so it looks like i won't be needing my costume box until february? one less thing to pack.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:20 pm

leavingnc wrote:so it looks like i won't be needing my costume box until february? one less thing to pack.
Don't forget Halloween. Also there are occasionally random theme parties during the year, usually section mixers.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”