UVA Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
YCrevolution

Gold

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Post by YCrevolution » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:21 pm

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:21 pm

YCrevolution wrote:Do any of you want a black Oster toaster? It used to be vanwinkle's (he decided not to bring it during his move). It looks like this model: http://www.amazon.com/Oster-6332-Inspir ... 78&sr=8-18 except that it's all black in color. I plugged it in, and it seems to be working fine.

Price: Free

PM if you want it. You will need to pick it up, and I'll give priority to Arlington Blvd. and Ivy Gardens people.
I want it

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:22 pm

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:24 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
dailygrind wrote:so as to not embarrass the shit out of myself when softball starts up, i'm thinking of heading down to a batting cage somewhere to practice my swing. anyone know a spot i can do that in charlottesville on the cheap?
Looks like the only place in town with a public (coin-op) cage is Planet Fun at 3350 Berkmar Drive, which looks like it's behind the bowling alley that's on Seminole Trail just before Walmart. If we got enough people together to split the cost, though, there's a place called Total Performance Sports & Fitness where we could rent a cage on a weekend for $60/hour.
CFC11 wrote:Is anyone going to the Lady Gaga concert at the John Paul Jones Arena September 8th??
Nope (still can't figure out what anyone sees in her), but I am considering going to the Muse show there in October.

I hate to tell you this, but Planet Fun has been closed for about a 1/2 decade :(... Its now an office building :(

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:04 pm

symbolically disturbing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:24 pm

Looks like some people are going to the corner tonight.

whattodo2008

Bronze

Post by whattodo2008 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:26 pm

Cavalier wrote:
plum wrote:
Cavalier wrote:
plum wrote:ok wardrobe issue: what are we expected to wear? i mean, are there any events or occasions during orientation or at any point in the next couple of months that we might be expected to dress "formally" ? (i own nothing in that category) what about business casual? what about class, does anyone care if we show up in jeans/tshirt?
Most people dress casually to class. Jeans and a t-shirt is just fine. You should probably get a suit though. I think the first time you actually need a suit is the oral arguments in spring semester (although even there, you'd still probably pass the class without dressing appropriately), but there are several events where you will want a suit - interviews for 1L summer positions, mock interviews in January, the etiquette dinner, the PILA auction, Barrister's Ball, to name a few (although you can skip all those events if you wish). You will also want business casual clothes.
thank you! that was very helpful. among the events you named (balls, dinners etc), are any of them occurring in aug/sept/oct? (if so i should probably get the shopping out of the way now, if not, i'll just have my mom do it over fall break). is there some kind of calendar for this sort of thing?
You'll probably be fine until fall break.

Like YCrevolution, I'm also selling my casebooks and supplements. PM me if interested.

How do we know if we will need supplements? Do ppl get supplements just because others do, or do you realize after a few weeks that the case books in some of the classes aren't completely doing the job?

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:17 pm

flyingpanda wrote:Looks like some people are going to the corner tonight.
So... is anyone going tonight? I was at Three earlier (was trying to go to Michael's, but it was closed for staff training) and the $2 drafts are a killer deal.

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:19 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
So... is anyone going tonight? I was at Three earlier (was trying to go to Michael's, but it was closed for staff training) and the $2 drafts are a killer deal.
I was at three earlier too, perhaps I saw you?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:23 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:

Yeah I'm going out tonight. Some of the facebook people want to meet at the Virginian so I'm sharing a cab with a couple people. We're going to leave from the Jeffersonian.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:29 pm

whattodo2008 wrote:How do we know if we will need supplements? Do ppl get supplements just because others do, or do you realize after a few weeks that the case books in some of the classes aren't completely doing the job?
If you understand all the concepts in class just by reading the casebook and by taking notes, you will probably be safe without a supplement, but if some concepts are confusing to you, a supplement will probably help. You may want to wait until September or October before getting supplements - that way you'll have an idea of what you need.

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:46 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:
Maybe. Were you the couple inside the door to the left? Aside from them, a woman with young children, and a few randoms at the bar, it was just me and my family. In this case, "my family" consisted of three women.

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:59 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:
Maybe. Were you the couple inside the door to the left? Aside from them, a woman with young children, and a few randoms at the bar, it was just me and my family. In this case, "my family" consisted of three women.
Nope, we just have must missed each other, I was also in their with my family.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

leavingnc

New

Post by leavingnc » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:24 am

this is probably better directed at the financial aid office, but i thought i'd check here first:

is there a way to confirm that your financial aid will cover fall 2010 tuition? my statement online still says i owe the $22,750 even though my pending financial aid (which i have accepted) should more than cover that--will this just go away after august 16th when the bill is due? the only reason i'm concerned about this is i'm not sure that i had technically accepted my aid by the billing date (july 16th), which i saw somewhere was necessary for financial aid to credit on my bill. (i hope that makes sense?)

also: is there a way to change our computing ID password (the one we log into SIS with?)--the randomly generated sequence of letters and numbers is impossible to remember.

jnorsky

Bronze

Post by jnorsky » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:27 am

anyone know a good place to get your tennis racket fixed up and restrung?

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:38 am

So I gather this is our 1L course schedule for the fall?

Criminal Law: 8:30 a.m
Civil Procedure: 10:00 a.m
Contracts: 2:10 p.m
Torts: 3:40 p.m

source: http://www.law.virginia.edu/main/Time+Slots

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:44 am

jnorsky wrote:anyone know a good place to get your tennis racket fixed up and restrung?
Nope, but I'd be happy to play with you sometime.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:30 am

Last edited by 5ky on Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:22 pm

leavingnc wrote:this is probably better directed at the financial aid office, but i thought i'd check here first:

is there a way to confirm that your financial aid will cover fall 2010 tuition? my statement online still says i owe the $22,750 even though my pending financial aid (which i have accepted) should more than cover that--will this just go away after august 16th when the bill is due? the only reason i'm concerned about this is i'm not sure that i had technically accepted my aid by the billing date (july 16th), which i saw somewhere was necessary for financial aid to credit on my bill. (i hope that makes sense?)
You should be fine. All of our bills say that right now. The University isn't going to come after you to pay a bill that only remains unpaid because they themselves haven't given you the money to which you're entitled.

If you want a more official answer than that, though, I've corresponded with Financial Aid several times by email, and they have always gotten back to me within an hour or so.

leavingnc

New

Post by leavingnc » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:43 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
leavingnc wrote:this is probably better directed at the financial aid office, but i thought i'd check here first:

You should be fine. All of our bills say that right now. The University isn't going to come after you to pay a bill that only remains unpaid because they themselves haven't given you the money to which you're entitled.

If you want a more official answer than that, though, I've corresponded with Financial Aid several times by email, and they have always gotten back to me within an hour or so.
Thanks! Reassuring to know that everyone else's statements are the same. I'll stop worrying about it for now--moving to Charlottesville in three days gives me plenty of other things to keep busy with!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:45 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:55 pm

Just got my ID, got lost on the way. Ended up taking like an hour for me to get there, it's fricking hot outside.

somethingpretty

New

Post by somethingpretty » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:54 pm

I'm in CVille!!! Any social goings-on happening anytime soon?

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:00 pm

somethingpretty wrote:I'm in CVille!!! Any social goings-on happening anytime soon?
Pm'ed you.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:01 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”