UVA Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
flyingpanda

Silver

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Post by flyingpanda » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:35 pm

My competitive spirit is getting fired up from softball, too bad I suck at it.

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:35 am

vanwinkle wrote: Every waking hour the two days before an assignment was due, I was writing it, but I was only ever working on LRW those few days out of the year.
what the hell?? for a pass/fail class? was this some kind of self-esteem thing?

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:24 pm

plum wrote:
vanwinkle wrote: Every waking hour the two days before an assignment was due, I was writing it, but I was only ever working on LRW those few days out of the year.
what the hell?? for a pass/fail class? was this some kind of self-esteem thing?
What are you talking about? With the length of a lot of these things, that is about the only way you could finish it if you waited until 2 days before it was due---obviously excluding the citation assignments.

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:04 pm

I'm really not understanding that method of attacking LRW. Taking care of any assignments for it during the weekend right after it's been given to us works a heck of a lot better than waiting until a few days before it's due.

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:41 pm

billyez wrote:I'm really not understanding that method of attacking LRW. Taking care of any assignments for it during the weekend right after it's been given to us works a heck of a lot better than waiting until a few days before it's due.
I think the point is that, as the assignments get longer and longer, you could spend tons and tons of time on each assignment, tinkering with it to get it perfect, doing additional research, etc. Since the class is pass/fail, though, there's nothing to be gained (at least grade-wise) by doing so. If you only give yourself a small(er) chunk of time in which to do the work, you'll still end up doing passable work, but you won't overdo it to the detriment of your studies in graded courses.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:01 pm

LRW matters more if you want to be a dillard right? Would you 2 and 3Ls recommend trying to become one?

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:06 pm

Doritos wrote:LRW matters more if you want to be a dillard right? Would you 2 and 3Ls recommend trying to become one?
Waste of time.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:52 pm

Cavalier wrote:
Doritos wrote:LRW matters more if you want to be a dillard right? Would you 2 and 3Ls recommend trying to become one?
Waste of time.
thanks

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:49 pm

Doritos wrote:
Cavalier wrote:
Waste of time.
thanks
I should elaborate. Barring the scenario where your screening interviewer is a Dillard too (giving you an instant connection), having "Dillard Fellow" on your resume probably won't make much of a difference in your job search next year. Employers basically just care about grades and law review - beyond that it's all personality, work experience, and other things outside of law school. I can't imagine that spending your 2L or 3L year grading 1Ls' LRW assignments would be an enjoyable experience.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:30 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
billyez wrote:I'm really not understanding that method of attacking LRW. Taking care of any assignments for it during the weekend right after it's been given to us works a heck of a lot better than waiting until a few days before it's due.
I think the point is that, as the assignments get longer and longer, you could spend tons and tons of time on each assignment, tinkering with it to get it perfect, doing additional research, etc. Since the class is pass/fail, though, there's nothing to be gained (at least grade-wise) by doing so. If you only give yourself a small(er) chunk of time in which to do the work, you'll still end up doing passable work, but you won't overdo it to the detriment of your studies in graded courses.
Ah, I see what you mean. In that case it makes sense.

TigerBeer

Bronze

Post by TigerBeer » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:00 am

Is it just me or is the exam database on lawweb kind of sad? I found 2 exams for one of my profs and none for the others. Searching on the law library database turned up a few more, but none for my profs. Is there a better source? Maybe I should just ask my professors directly.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:01 pm

Waiting until the day before it's due ensures that you'll spend very little time on it and turn in work that toes the line of receiving an e-mail from your professor re: your crappy work. Which is what you should be going for. From the limited sample I've seen, GPA correlates pretty well with how much you blow off LRW.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:04 pm

RVP11 wrote:
Waiting until the day before it's due ensures that you'll spend very little time on it and turn in work that toes the line of receiving an e-mail from your professor re: your crappy work. Which is what you should be going for. From the limited sample I've seen, GPA correlates pretty well with how much you blow off LRW.
In this thread people at a top 10 law school tell each other to turn in crappy work! LMAO

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:46 pm

RVP11 wrote:
TCR - LRW is pass / fail for a reason... do what you need to do to pass and that's it. GPA is all that matters.

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:09 am

vamedic03 wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
TCR - LRW is pass / fail for a reason... do what you need to do to pass and that's it. GPA is all that matters.
this is def solid advice. if i were to work on lrw now i'd just drain away a bunch of unnecessary time to it. waiting to the last minute ensures it's last on my list of priorities.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:25 am

I just want a good writing sample from LRW.

Since we are on the topic of LRW...I.hate.this.memo.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:36 am

Doritos wrote:I just want a good writing sample from LRW.

i'm somewhat compelled by the writing sample argument, but at the same time, won't we have a bunch of other writing samples from a year long class? will i really want to submit my second lrw assignment as a writing sample, even if i take it really seriously?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:57 am

dailygrind wrote:

i'm somewhat compelled by the writing sample argument, but at the same time, won't we have a bunch of other writing samples from a year long class? will i really want to submit my second lrw assignment as a writing sample, even if i take it really seriously?
Well we only have one more assignment after this one before lrw is done til spring. That means when we apply for 1L jobs we will have three LRW assignments to choose from. I was told that for some jobs they have a page limit so you may not be able to use the last one we write so itll be this memo or the first one (which i sure as hell am not using).

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:55 am

Doritos wrote:
dailygrind wrote:

Well we only have one more assignment after this one before lrw is done til spring. That means when we apply for 1L jobs we will have three LRW assignments to choose from. I was told that for some jobs they have a page limit so you may not be able to use the last one we write so itll be this memo or the first one (which i sure as hell am not using).

OK - writing sample recommendations:

1) Use your major memo
2) Edit down your major memo to meet whatever page requirements that employers provide (i.e., cut summary, cut statement of facts and just provide a 1 paragraph summary of facts, etc.)
3) Don't spend time on the memos now - do what you need to do to pass (I mean, make the thing decent, but don't bust your ass over it) - and edit it over Christmas break

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:11 am

Thanks medic.

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:19 pm

i'll prolly just write some memos on my own over xmas break on topics that i actually LIKE instead of this incredibly boring mind-numbing stuff they give us in lrw (seriously? if the topic were more interesting i might actually enjoy putting some effort into it). my old firm job offered to edit my memos and review them for me anyways so i might hit them up on that offer.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:00 pm

plum wrote:i'll prolly just write some memos on my own over xmas break on topics that i actually LIKE instead of this incredibly boring mind-numbing stuff they give us in lrw (seriously? if the topic were more interesting i might actually enjoy putting some effort into it). my old firm job offered to edit my memos and review them for me anyways so i might hit them up on that offer.
Dude - that's just asking for burn out. You shouldn't spend xmas break writing additional memos. If you really want to get a non-LRW writing sample, participate in the Winter Pro Bono Project Program (which I highly recommend). That way, you can get some real research and writing experience, and get Pro Bono hours.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:21 pm

For the writing sample, I would just touch up the second memo. Maybe other LRW professors are different, but in my experience, the second memo involved issues that were very easy to resolve, so coming up with coherent arguments took little time. By contrast, the major memo involves issues that could be resolved in two (or perhaps more) different ways, so your arguments will take a lot longer to develop (if you make the mistake of attempting to do a good job, that is). Once you receive comments on the final draft of your second memo, just make the corrections and go over it for spelling and grammar again. It won't be a great writing sample, but it will do the job.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:30 pm

How big of a role do you think writing samples play in the acquisition of 1L jobs?

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:00 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”