UVA Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:44 pm

Depending on the lineup, oneforship, I'm more likely to be the 6th man in this scenario. As for the gin and tonic thing, I'm definitely in. Can we switch it up one night and call it "Bombay Sapphire and then racquetball."

For all the less-than-athletically inclined: A bunch of guys from my hometown have successfully maintained a BASEketball league for the last 7-8 years. I played regularly for ~2 seasons. It's an absolute blast, if you're interested.

soullesswonder

Silver

Post by soullesswonder » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:49 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:We need a PG and another big man. Any takers?
lilspainishflea wrote:I'm 6'3" with a pretty money skyhook from the block.
oneforship wrote:I can play a mean drive and kick point.
Now we need a team to play against. :lol:
You guys talked yourself up an awful lot... gonna be hard to find takers. Regardless, I'm 6 foot flat and terrible at sports. Does anyone want to try to form some sort of underdog dorky kid squad to try and take these guys on? Imagine us as about a 14 or 15 seed and we just come out in the first half and shoot the lights out of the place. Of course, we eventually lose by 20, but it was good to see at first.

Also, I forget who, but someone in this thread and I are forming a "first we play racquetball, then go and drink gin and tonic" intramural league. Still got a lot of spots open.
Count me in on both counts - esp. the Bombay Sapphire. Heck, I'll just go the full Ron Artest and drink the gin before basketball games as well.

Muckduck

Bronze

Post by Muckduck » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:15 am

Does anyone have some suggested reading before arriving in August? I feel like I want to just leave UG right now and get to the good stuff ASAP.

SweetnessUVA

New

Post by SweetnessUVA » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:18 am

Muckduck wrote:Does anyone have some suggested reading before arriving in August? I feel like I want to just leave UG right now and get to the good stuff ASAP.
Old Mr. Boston's Bartender's Guide & Moneyball.

Really the two most important books for UVA.

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:39 am

Muckduck wrote:Does anyone have some suggested reading before arriving in August? I feel like I want to just leave UG right now and get to the good stuff ASAP.
If there's any sort of leisure reading you enjoy, you may want to get it out of the way now. I, for one, have the feeling that reading for pleasure will be the last thing I want to do with my free time next year. (From the last few pages it seems as though I will spend most of it involved in some athletic activity, drinking, or a combination of both.)

/0L speculation

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ogman05

Bronze

Post by ogman05 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:37 am

I would say I am athletic. Played football for years all state. Back injuy prevented college level. Ran track but stoppe playig baseball after little league. My hand eye with that sport is a little off. Will I be the only one buyin a bat and ball this summer to practice and avoid total emberassment? :evil:

dgouzoul

Bronze

Post by dgouzoul » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:04 am

ogman05 wrote:I would say I am athletic. Played football for years all state. Back injuy prevented college level. Ran track but stoppe playig baseball after little league. My hand eye with that sport is a little off. Will I be the only one buyin a bat and ball this summer to practice and avoid total emberassment? :evil:

this is 100% acceptable. Gunning in softball > gunning in civ pro

laranelly1503

New

Post by laranelly1503 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:18 am

Hi Fellow UVA classmates of 2013,

If any of you live in the DC area and want to drive down to Admitted Students Night on April 9, let me know. I don't have a car but was planning on renting one. If any of you guys have cars and room for me, I'm happy to help pay for gas.

I was thinking I'd like to leave the morning of April 9 (probably pretty early so we could check out classes, admissions office, Q & A, etc.) and head back in the late afternoon/early evening on April 10th.

If anyone is interested, please email me at jensen.lara@gmail.com. I don't check the message boards often so this the best way to reach me.

Peace,
Lara

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:30 am

ogman05 wrote: Will I be the only one buyin a bat and ball this summer to practice and avoid total emberassment? :evil:
+1. Haven't played much baseball in a long while.

ITT: Despite being on their way to a T10 law school, posters feel the need to justify their athletic credentials and subsequently reminisce about the glory days of high school athletics (self included of course). :wink:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

michstudent10

Bronze

Post by michstudent10 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:30 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
ogman05 wrote: Will I be the only one buyin a bat and ball this summer to practice and avoid total emberassment? :evil:
+1. Haven't played much baseball in a long while.

ITT: Despite being on their way to a T10 law school, posters feel the need to justify their athletic credentials and subsequently reminisce about the glory days of high school athletics (self included of course). :wink:
Haha I've already got some friends on standby for softball practice when it starts to warm up around here. I'll help fill the girl quota on the team but you might have to stick me in a position where athletic ability doesn't matter (if such a position exists... haha yes, I know that little about softball)

memaha

Bronze

Post by memaha » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:52 pm

michstudent10 wrote: I'll help fill the girl quota on the team but you might have to stick me in a position where athletic ability doesn't matter (if such a position exists... haha yes, I know that little about softball)
I'll be the second girl.. with limited softball abilities. If only it were lax...

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:49 pm

ogman05 wrote:I would say I am athletic. Played football for years all state. Back injuy prevented college level. Ran track but stoppe playig baseball after little league. My hand eye with that sport is a little off. Will I be the only one buyin a bat and ball this summer to practice and avoid total emberassment? :evil:
I might do the same. I'm somewhat athletic but I haven't played baseball in years. Don't want to be completely awful.

Hiei

New

Post by Hiei » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:49 pm

Anybody else considering deferring for Teach for America?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:49 pm

michstudent10 wrote:Haha I've already got some friends on standby for softball practice when it starts to warm up around here. I'll help fill the girl quota on the team but you might have to stick me in a position where athletic ability doesn't matter (if such a position exists... haha yes, I know that little about softball)
I'm sure you're not giving yourself enough credit. I'd suggest somewhere in the outfield, but - as I played center field in baseball - I take issue with the notion that outfielders have less ability than infielders. Still, the likelihood of being struck in the face with a line drive is significantly lower the further you move away from the plate. :D

I messaged you about ASW and your visit.

virginiagirl55

New

Post by virginiagirl55 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:38 pm

Hiei wrote:Anybody else considering deferring for Teach for America?
i am. im currently waitlist for TFA, whatever that means, but may find out tuesday if they have found me a placement, but i'm not sure if i want to defer...

Muckduck

Bronze

Post by Muckduck » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:30 pm

Hiei wrote:Anybody else considering deferring for Teach for America?
Thought about it. Then I said to myself, "But if I know I want to go to Law School, why not do it now?" If you want to make a difference, then TFA is a great way to do so. Some people seem to use it as a resume builder to get into law school-obviously neither of you need that now. Have you considered that you might be able to make a bigger, albeit to a different group of people, difference with a law degree doing some sort of PI/pro bono work?

Philo38

Bronze

Post by Philo38 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:33 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
michstudent10 wrote:Haha I've already got some friends on standby for softball practice when it starts to warm up around here. I'll help fill the girl quota on the team but you might have to stick me in a position where athletic ability doesn't matter (if such a position exists... haha yes, I know that little about softball)
I'm sure you're not giving yourself enough credit. I'd suggest somewhere in the outfield, but - as I played center field in baseball - I take issue with the notion that outfielders have less ability than infielders. Still, the likelihood of being struck in the face with a line drive is significantly lower the further you move away from the plate. :D

I don't know . . . don't a ton of balls tend to end up in the outfield in softball? I can only speak for the mens softball I've grown up watching but those things fly man.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

A Swift

Bronze

Post by A Swift » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:40 pm

I think this thread just made up my mind about UVA, I was worried no one played basketball compared to Georgetown which has 18 different law leagues.

6'2"- Call me mini-Pau Gasol

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:56 pm

The position of choice for bad athletes in UVA Law softball is catcher. However since your section teams will not surprisingly have a number of bad athletes, you'll find that the positions dominated by the good athletes are pitcher, sometimes 1st base, shortstop, left field, and left center or right center.

memaha

Bronze

Post by memaha » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:59 pm

The fact that everyone has spent the past several thread pages obsessing over the softball teams makes me that much happier about going to UVA :)

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:25 pm

gladiator wrote:The position of choice for bad athletes in UVA Law softball is catcher. However since your section teams will not surprisingly have a number of bad athletes, you'll find that the positions dominated by the good athletes are pitcher, sometimes 1st base, shortstop, left field, and left center or right center.
So teams don't have a rover playing in shallow LF? I thought that was preferred rather than 2 CFs in coed and low level rec leagues.

I think that 1B is easier for a non baseball player to perform adequately at than 3B or LF. 1B is important, but it's really just catching a ball being thrown at you. It for sure requires hand-eye coordination, but not quite the overall skill set needed to play 3B or LF.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:51 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
gladiator wrote:The position of choice for bad athletes in UVA Law softball is catcher. However since your section teams will not surprisingly have a number of bad athletes, you'll find that the positions dominated by the good athletes are pitcher, sometimes 1st base, shortstop, left field, and left center or right center.
So teams don't have a rover playing in shallow LF? I thought that was preferred rather than 2 CFs in coed and low level rec leagues.

I think that 1B is easier for a non baseball player to perform adequately at than 3B or LF. 1B is important, but it's really just catching a ball being thrown at you. It for sure requires hand-eye coordination, but not quite the overall skill set needed to play 3B or LF.
From what I've seen, standard positioning for every team is 4 outfielders across. 1B usually gets someone who knows what they're doing just because not everyone has the kind of accurate arm that baseball players do so it's necessary to have some skill set beyond catching balls thrown straight at you. Usually winning teams are the ones that have a girl that can ably play pitcher or 1B to put an extra guy in the OF.

Muckduck

Bronze

Post by Muckduck » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:05 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:

In the league that I play in most teams usually start playing 4 outfielders in the back. If you are playing against a team that hits very well (as opposed to huge fly balls into random parts of the outfield) then a rover is a good idea to prevent too many well placed singles/doubles that result from pokes/hard hit grounders/balls that land too shallow for LF, LCF to get to. Rovers can also cheat over for a right-handed hitter.

1 B is great for a non-athletic player so long as they can catch very well. If your 1B can't catch, it is almost impossible to get out of an inning if the team is worth their salt.

michstudent10

Bronze

Post by michstudent10 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:27 pm

Philo38 wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:

I don't know . . . don't a ton of balls tend to end up in the outfield in softball? I can only speak for the mens softball I've grown up watching but those things fly man.
Hahaha I laughed out loud imagining one of those huge softballs flying at my face. Catcher it is :wink:

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:56 pm

Booked my plane tickets.

Arriving Wed night, leaving Sun night for the April ASW.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”