UVA Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Doritos

Silver

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Post by Doritos » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:03 pm

I'm mad they didn't put my sexy mug up. I would have straight lied too...Olympic gold medalist, cowboy-astronaut, whatever they needed...

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:51 pm

Kohinoor wrote:http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/admiss ... ed2013.htm

It's like a magic eye puzzle. You don't see it, you don't see it, then suddenly it's there.
laycock?

democrattotheend

Bronze

Post by democrattotheend » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:08 am

Is anyone going to the Admitted Students Weekend on March 19 interested in sharing a hotel room Thursday night? I was thinking it might be more fun and less expensive to meet another TLSer and share a room rather than staying in one by myself.

Also, if any TLSers from the DC area are interested in carpooling, let me know or PM me.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:18 am

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:54 am

YCrevolution wrote:
democrattotheend wrote:Is anyone going to the Admitted Students Weekend on March 19 interested in sharing a hotel room Thursday night? I was thinking it might be more fun and less expensive to meet another TLSer and share a room rather than staying in one by myself.

Also, if any TLSers from the DC area are interested in carpooling, let me know or PM me.
If it's like last year, there should be some student hosts, too (I stayed with one during ASD last year). I'm planning on hosting.
I'm planning to host a girl.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dgouzoul

Bronze

Post by dgouzoul » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:56 am

oh you sly fox

bowie8285

Bronze

Post by bowie8285 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:01 am

Last edited by bowie8285 on Mon May 10, 2010 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:23 am

bowie8285 wrote:

It's like a magic eye puzzle. You don't see it, you don't see it, then suddenly it's there.

huh? what are you referring to?
You cuties don't see it and I won't spoil your fun.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:27 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:29 am

YCrevolution wrote:Speaking of which, I was buying red wine (for cooking, although it was the drinkable kind), and the cashier spent three minutes figuring out that I was indeed 21. My license says "under 21" on the side, but everyone born my birthyear has to be 21 now, which I politely told her. She wasn't buying it though, and had to wait until she loaded up some computer program to tell her that my birthdate indeed means I'm 21.
This makes me weep for humanity.

thepunisher24

Bronze

Post by thepunisher24 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:30 am

Kohinoor wrote:
bowie8285 wrote:

huh? what are you referring to?
You cuties don't see it and I won't spoil your fun.
I don't see it either...I don't think?

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:39 am

SweetnessUVA

New

Post by SweetnessUVA » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:17 am

The people chosen make me feel so un-accomplished.
Last edited by SweetnessUVA on Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

slider

Bronze

Post by slider » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:14 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:
laycock?

UVa trying to increase Student/Faculty ratio?

http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/news/2 ... aycock.htm

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:26 pm

There are now 101 people in the Class of 2013 Facebook group, taking out administration, 27% of the incoming class has already joined the group.

They yield rate at this year is going to be insane because of this new ED deadline.

thepunisher24

Bronze

Post by thepunisher24 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:45 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:There are now 101 people in the Class of 2013 Facebook group, taking out administration, 27% of the incoming class has already joined the group.

They yield rate at this year is going to be insane because of this new ED deadline.
I haven't even joined the group yet. I'm friends with alot of co-workers on fbook and have been trying to keep my departure from the firm under wraps. It's been tough, to say the least...especially considering I got the call from admissions with my Manager looking over my shoulder helping me out with something on my computer.

I told him..."Uhhh, I have to take this call." Left the room, came back a few minutes later (visibly shaken), ended up making up some BS about a health issue in the family. I had to leave the audit room again not even 30 seconds later because I didn't even remember to call my family/close friends and tell them the news.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:00 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:02 pm

I haven't joined yet, and I'd say I'm probably 75% going to UVA. Maybe I should join.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:12 pm

thepunisher24 wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:There are now 101 people in the Class of 2013 Facebook group, taking out administration, 27% of the incoming class has already joined the group.

I haven't even joined the group yet. I'm friends with alot of co-workers on fbook and have been trying to keep my departure from the firm under wraps. It's been tough, to say the least...especially considering I got the call from admissions with my Manager looking over my shoulder helping me out with something on my computer.

I told him..."Uhhh, I have to take this call." Left the room, came back a few minutes later (visibly shaken), ended up making up some BS about a health issue in the family. I had to leave the audit room again not even 30 seconds later because I didn't even remember to call my family/close friends and tell them the news.
I'm in a similar situation.

slider

Bronze

Post by slider » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:18 pm

thepunisher24 wrote:

I had a similar experience. My boss walked in while I was on the phone with admissions. He pretty much hovered over me throughout the last half of the conversation. I was kind of short on the phone. Dean must have thought I was too nervous to talk. haha

thepunisher24

Bronze

Post by thepunisher24 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:31 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
thepunisher24 wrote:

It sucks, it's like you have this huge news that you're excited about and can't tell the people that you (sadly) spend the majority of your waking hours with.

I recently placed this "information" with several people so that it would slowly trickle it's way to the top. It's really tough trying to balance your personal goals with the goals of the firm while not pissing anyone off. I've made some great contacts in my time here and I'm doing all I can to maintain them throughout this whole process. A couple weeks ago at a year-end dinner/celebration, my Senior Manager approaches me, "So I hear you're applying to law school..."

All they know right now is that I'm "still waiting to hear back, which could take months" and I "won't leave the firm for anything less than a T10 school."

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ogman05

Bronze

Post by ogman05 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:34 pm

thepunisher24 wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:
thepunisher24 wrote:

It sucks, it's like you have this huge news that you're excited about and can't tell the people that you (sadly) spend the majority of your waking hours with.

I recently placed this "information" with several people so that it would slowly trickle it's way to the top. It's really tough trying to balance your personal goals with the goals of the firm while not pissing anyone off. I've made some great contacts in my time here and I'm doing all I can to maintain them throughout this whole process. A couple weeks ago at a year-end dinner/celebration, my Senior Manager approaches me, "So I hear you're applying to law school..."

All they know right now is that I'm "still waiting to hear back, which could take months" and I "won't leave the firm for anything less than a T10 school."

I'm also in this position. Not even sure when I would want to leave yet. Anyone have any idea how long they are planning to continue working nad plans for over the summer? One of my coworkers jokingly asked the other day if I got into Cornell yet. I said something like that but I'm not leaving for anything but T10 for sure. Only if he knew. haha

thepunisher24

Bronze

Post by thepunisher24 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:44 pm

slider wrote:
thepunisher24 wrote:

I had a similar experience. My boss walked in while I was on the phone with admissions. He pretty much hovered over me throughout the last half of the conversation. I was kind of short on the phone. Dean must have thought I was too nervous to talk. haha
Haha yeah thankfully the first statement out of his mouth to me after his introduction was that he realizes I'm at work and need to keep it brief. I was at the client site at the time and unfortunately didn't find a deserted cubicle to jump into for a few minutes to talk privately. Would have been nice to talk to him a bit more extensively, but that call definitely made work a hell of a lot easier that week....and every week after that :D

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:44 pm

ogman05 wrote:

I'm also in this position. Not even sure when I would want to leave yet. Anyone have any idea how long they are planning to continue working nad plans for over the summer? One of my coworkers jokingly asked the other day if I got into Cornell yet. I said something like that but I'm not leaving for anything but T10 for sure. Only if he knew. haha
I think I'll leave around June and go to Thailand or somewhere for a month.

Not being able to share it with your coworkers is weird. Two people at my office know because I got LORs from them, but I asked them to keep it under wraps. It's funny because some of the people here working on MBA's ask me when I'm going to get mine and I say "I haven't really thought about it." One girl finishing her mba was talking to me about getting a jd "for fun" and said "I guess your just going to watch TV huh?" when I answered "nothing right now" to her query about my future educational plans.

thepunisher24

Bronze

Post by thepunisher24 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:59 pm

Well I'm in a bit of a unique situation, but I'll probably stay "employed" through September if this is possible. I need to get some clarification on this, but I think I need to fulfill my hourly requirement for my CPA license over a full two year period, I'm not sure though. I'll have enough PTO saved that I'll be able to "quit" in early August, but still be employed through my two-year deadline.

Edit: I screwed up the quoting.

Edit #2: It's still screwed up. I don't know how to fix it.

Mod edit: Fixed the quotes, but I was too lazy to figure out who said what.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”