UVA Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
jnorsky

Bronze

Re: Cooley College of Law Class of 2013

Post by jnorsky » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:14 am

whattodo2008 wrote:Has anlyone else noticed the lack of lay prestige with the lawl skool that we plan on going to? I think it is kind of a humbling experience, although I don't know how to respond when people ask "Why are you going all the way out there?". I'm from the West Coast, so I guess it's understandable, but I do always find it a little odd and a subtle pwn to my ego.

Yea, but every lawyer and person who's career is pretty baller that ive talked to has been pretty blown away by the fact that im going to Virginia law, ill take them over everyone else any day.

wackjickham

Bronze

Post by wackjickham » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:17 am

That's a west coast thing. Of course, UVA (V.I.R.G.I.N.A.) isn't going to have the lay prestige of an Ivy, but here on the east coast it's regarded nearly as highly (especially in the south). I think its just a stigma attached to a public school.

That is, unless you're referring to Cooley.

whattodo2008

Bronze

Post by whattodo2008 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:31 am

jnorsky wrote:
whattodo2008 wrote:Has anlyone else noticed the lack of lay prestige with the lawl skool that we plan on going to? I think it is kind of a humbling experience, although I don't know how to respond when people ask "Why are you going all the way out there?". I'm from the West Coast, so I guess it's understandable, but I do always find it a little odd and a subtle pwn to my ego.

Yea, but every lawyer and person who's career is pretty baller that ive talked to has been pretty blown away by the fact that im going to Virginia law, ill take them over everyone else any day.
Well said! :-D

Also, I'm not referring to Cooley, because they have plenty of lay prestige.

Wi11iam

New

Post by Wi11iam » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:21 am

I was just looking at the deposit deadline on UVA's website and saw that the deadline for the second deposit is May 17 now (was June 15, IIRC). I don't think that's an April Fools joke...

astro1819

Bronze

Post by astro1819 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:24 am

Wi11iam wrote:I was just looking at the deposit deadline on Cooley College of Law's website and saw that the deadline for the second deposit is May 17 now (was June 15, IIRC). I don't think that's an April Fools joke...
Looks like it's still June 15 to me... --LinkRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Wi11iam

New

Post by Wi11iam » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:53 am

astro1819 wrote:
Wi11iam wrote:I was just looking at the deposit deadline on U V A's website and saw that the deadline for the second deposit is May 17 now (was June 15, IIRC). I don't think that's an April Fools joke...
Looks like it's still June 15 to me... --LinkRemoved--

Wow, yeah it's still June 15... I could have sworn it changed, but maybe my ind substituted the deposit deadline with the multiple deposit deadline for some reason... Oh well. Never mind me. :roll:

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:18 pm

Just say "it's a good school."

I liked the fact that few people knew anything about the school I was attending. It means people aren't making snap judgments (for better or worse) about you.

whattodo2008

Bronze

Post by whattodo2008 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:33 pm

RVP11 wrote:
Just say "it's a good school."

I liked the fact that few people knew anything about the school I was attending. It means people aren't making snap judgments (for better or worse) about you.
yeah, you're right. I think it may make me more humble :-D

jdavid901

New

Post by jdavid901 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:11 pm

Haha, I was wondering what happened to the UVA forum when it didn't show up on the Class of 2013 list. Then I realized it's April Fool's. Did they single us out because we already have like 102 forum pages when other class forums have teen numbers or did they mess with everyone in some way? It's funny either way.

Edit: It looks like other schools with a high number of posts also got Punk'd. I like Tucker Max University personally.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:05 pm

jdavid901 wrote:Haha, I was wondering what happened to the Cooley College of Law forum when it didn't show up on the Class of 2013 list. Then I realized it's April Fool's. Did they single us out because we already have like 102 forum pages when other class forums have teen numbers or did they mess with everyone in some way? It's funny either way.

Edit: It looks like other schools with a high number of posts also got Punk'd. I like Tucker Max University personally.
I was the biggest fan of Mich to Hogwarts, and thought that Gtown to Caboose was the funniest.

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:11 am

The second page now includes a topic where everyone is telling someone to attend Cooley (no money) rather than Emory with cash. The Mod's have done a masterstroke of hilarity.

slhall22

New

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Post by slhall22 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:35 pm

Hi future 1Ls! Just wanted to let you know about a housing opportunity walking-distance from the law school:

We are 2 female soon-to-be 2Ls renting out the master bedroom (with an attached private bathroom) in our 3 bedroom, 2 ½ bath townhouse in Huntington Village. Rent is $475 per month, plus utilities, which generally run around $100-150, depending on the time of year – cable and internet included.

This is a huge room with its own private bathroom. There are two walk-in closets. The current tenant has a giant desk, a queen sized bed and a ton of left-over space. You can check out the floorplan here: http://www.huntington-village.com/townhomes_2S_3B.htm

Huntington Village is a great alternative to Ivy and it’s right nextdoor. There is a washer and dryer in the townhome, as well as a dishwasher. There is a living room, dining room, and a family room – so plenty of space! If you are looking for a more home-like environment instead of your standard apartment, this place is perfect. There is plenty of parking, including three spots right out front and a pool open during the warm months.

We walk to the law school (it takes 15 minutes). Huntington tends to be a lot quieter than Ivy, but the parties are all walking distance. Cabs to the bars on the Corner are around $6.

The house is non-smoking, and we’re open to a male or a female.

Our lease allows a pet. We don’t have one, but if you have one we can figure it out. There might be a deposit of some kind required though. Please e-mail us ASAP because we have a short period of time to renew our lease.

Here is the location: http://www.huntington-village.com/HuntingtonMap.htm

E-mail Elaine at evf8jt@virginia.edu or Sonali at sd2fe@virginia.edu for pictures of the room or if you have any questions!

billyzane

New

Post by billyzane » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:39 pm

anyone know how many keys tenants get for ivy and jefferson? also, are there separate keys for entrances into the complexes or do you just walk up to your unit without first unlocking the entrance? im guessing there are no doormen..

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wackjickham

Bronze

Post by wackjickham » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:06 pm

I haven't sent in my deposit yet but I made it official today by telling everyone I know I'm coming to UVA. Looking forward to meeting you all in the fall.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:12 pm

Paratiel

New

Post by Paratiel » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:33 pm

I have two questions for y'all regarding moving to UVA.

First, does anyone have suggestions for finding cheap furniture near UVA? I won't be able to transport any with me, so I will have to rely on whatever is close by.

Second, my lease start date is 8/16 (first day of orientation). Is this actually manageable with the orientation schedule (i.e., would anyone care if I miss the first day of events, etc.)?

Thanks!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:40 pm

Paratiel wrote:I have two questions for y'all regarding moving to UVA.

First, does anyone have suggestions for finding cheap furniture near UVA? I won't be able to transport any with me, so I will have to rely on whatever is close by.

Second, my lease start date is 8/16 (first day of orientation). Is this actually manageable with the orientation schedule (i.e., would anyone care if I miss the first day of events, etc.)?

Thanks!
Do not miss registration. They can drop you if you do so without really good reason.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:55 pm

So, I had all but decided to go to a lower ranked school on a full scholarship since I don't think I want big law. Now I'm second guessing turning down UVA.

Has anyone in state successfully negotiated a scholarship increase yet? I see people with my numbers or worse getting anywhere from nothing to double what I got. I think most those that got more are ORMs or at least not XYs, but I'm hoping in state will give me a bit of leverage. $10k more a year would make a HUGE difference and more than that would seal the deal for me.

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:57 pm

Paratiel wrote:I have two questions for y'all regarding moving to UVA.

Thanks!
Regarding furniture, buy the necessities when you get there, such as a bed, and then accumulate the rest over time using craigslist.

Paratiel

New

Post by Paratiel » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:02 pm

Do not miss registration. They can drop you if you do so without really good reason.[/quote]

I definitely won't miss registration. I noticed on last year's schedule that the first day only had two optional evening events (http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/studen ... tation.htm). Did registration happen on that day, and they just did not mention it on the schedule?

Also, does anyone know when UVA will release the orientation schedule for 2010?

Paratiel

New

Post by Paratiel » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:04 pm

Regarding furniture, buy the necessities when you get there, such as a bed, and then accumulate the rest over time using craigslist.[/quote]

I will probably have to do that. Any suggestions on where to find the necessities on a low budget?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:09 pm

If you have a SAMs membership, they have nice mattresses, but they aren't "cheap."

Other than that, no. Ive only been there once.

Paratiel

New

Post by Paratiel » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:13 pm

Thank you, Sauer Grapes.

billyzane

New

Post by billyzane » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:18 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
billyzane wrote:anyone know how many keys tenants get for ivy and jefferson? also, are there separate keys for entrances into the complexes or do you just walk up to your unit without first unlocking the entrance? im guessing there are no doormen..
All units at the Jeffersonian open to the outside/exterior, so there is no interior hallway/lobby. For my one-bedroom apartment at the Jeffersonian, I have two door keys plus a mailbox key.
thanks, do you (or anyone else) know if this is the same for ivy?

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:24 pm

Paratiel wrote:Thank you, Sauer Grapes.
With mattresses, you will find them near impossible to compare store to store as they change the "model" name even if they are the same mattress. It's a trick that seems unique to that industry.

Get one that feels right and costs what you want to pay.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”