UVA Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
D Brooks

Silver

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Post by D Brooks » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:53 pm

I may cavalierly call admissions today and ask for a deferral scholly.

Thoughts?

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:59 pm

D Brooks wrote:I may cavalierly call admissions today and ask for a deferral scholly.

Thoughts?
Seems like they're pretty desperate. If you're a traditional splitter you chances are even higher too.

Philo38

Bronze

Post by Philo38 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:04 pm

lilspainishflea wrote:I'm in as well.
Sweet. That makes 7. Hopefully we can get to 10, luckily we have plenty of time.

slider

Bronze

Post by slider » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:10 pm

D Brooks wrote:I may cavalierly call admissions today and ask for a deferral scholly.

Thoughts?
I would do it if I wasn't so sick of my job. Let us know how it goes . :D

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:31 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

D Brooks

Silver

Post by D Brooks » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:55 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:

Thoughts?
Seems like they're pretty desperate. If you're a traditional splitter you chances are even higher too.
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/slightlystoopid

:oops: :oops:

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:49 pm

This is actually related to law school, apologies.

I was told we would be getting an e-mail in May about accepting our loans and modifying amounts. I never recieved that e-mail. Logging in and doing this seems pretty straight forward, has everyone else done it by now?

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:03 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:Everyone enjoying the board peace and quiet before this place goes nuts late this afternoon?
It feels great to be on this side of the LSAT hysteria days.
joeshmo39 wrote:This is actually related to law school, apologies.

I was told we would be getting an e-mail in May about accepting our loans and modifying amounts. I never recieved that e-mail. Logging in and doing this seems pretty straight forward, has everyone else done it by now?
Never received it either. Already logged on and accepted my loans, but haven't put my second deposit down yet, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

FeuerFrei

Bronze

Post by FeuerFrei » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:12 pm

Last edited by FeuerFrei on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

whattodo2008

Bronze

Post by whattodo2008 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:21 pm

slider wrote:

Thoughts?
I'm w/you. I feel like a lame duck at my job. I mean, it's super easy and around 45k or so, but 2 yrs of this is enough!

slider

Bronze

Post by slider » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:16 am

whattodo2008 wrote:
slider wrote:

Thoughts?
I'm w/you. I feel like a lame duck at my job. I mean, it's super easy and around 45k or so, but 2 yrs of this is enough!
This is a good description. I'm a manager and I'm slowly losing all of my authority. I guess I should get used to being on the bottom of the food chain again.

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:37 am

I wish this was fantasy football related, but...

So I just paid my second tuition deposit ( :D / :cry: ). I'm figuring I should go ahead and complete the entrance counseling/MPN stuff, but I'm not sure if I'm going to need the full amount of the Grad PLUS loan. (SO is moving to Charlottesville with me and looking for a job right now.) How long can I wait to do this, or should I just do it now? Can I adjust the amount after the fact? Any other benefits to doing it sooner than later?

/noob-ness

whattodo2008

Bronze

Post by whattodo2008 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:55 am

badwithpseudonyms wrote:I wish this was fantasy football related, but...

So I just paid my second tuition deposit ( :D / :cry: ). I'm figuring I should go ahead and complete the entrance counseling/MPN stuff, but I'm not sure if I'm going to need the full amount of the Grad PLUS loan. (SO is moving to Charlottesville with me and looking for a job right now.) How long can I wait to do this, or should I just do it now? Can I adjust the amount after the fact? Any other benefits to doing it sooner than later?

/noob-ness
Yes, you can. Talked to fin aid office about this...I would take only the amount you need for now. That's what I'm doing. I have enough savings to cover all of my cost of living, but then pretty much by the end of the year, I will have no savings at all. That's the time I plan on taking out some more loans. This way, I will have saved not paying interest for a few months, and can still hopefully go on a nice trip :-D .

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:17 am

whattodo2008 wrote:Yes, you can. Talked to fin aid office about this...I would take only the amount you need for now. That's what I'm doing. I have enough savings to cover all of my cost of living, but then pretty much by the end of the year, I will have no savings at all. That's the time I plan on taking out some more loans. This way, I will have saved not paying interest for a few months, and can still hopefully go on a nice trip :-D .
Great to know! Thanks! Just trying to save a few (thousand) dollars where I can.

whattodo2008

Bronze

Post by whattodo2008 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:52 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
whattodo2008 wrote:Yes, you can. Talked to fin aid office about this...I would take only the amount you need for now. That's what I'm doing. I have enough savings to cover all of my cost of living, but then pretty much by the end of the year, I will have no savings at all. That's the time I plan on taking out some more loans. This way, I will have saved not paying interest for a few months, and can still hopefully go on a nice trip :-D .
Great to know! Thanks! Just trying to save a few (thousand) dollars where I can.
Yeap, I am (probably all of us!) are w/you. I've made an Excel spreadsheet w/the accrued interests and how by the end of 3 years, they add up. Every little helps a lot. If we all get the full loans and don't pay any interest at all during the 3 years and borrow at the given disbursement dates, we will have accrued $22,600 in interest! Just putting down some cash the first year can be a huge saver. $20k the first year, meaning $20k less borrowed in grad plus loans will save us about $4k in savings by the end of 3L.

dgouzoul

Bronze

Post by dgouzoul » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:19 pm

whattodo2008 wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:
Yeap, I am (probably all of us!) are w/you. I've made an Excel spreadsheet w/the accrued interests and how by the end of 3 years, they add up. Every little helps a lot. If we all get the full loans and don't pay any interest at all during the 3 years and borrow at the given disbursement dates, we will have accrued $22,600 in interest! Just putting down some cash the first year can be a huge saver. $20k the first year, meaning $20k less borrowed in grad plus loans will save us about $4k in savings by the end of 3L.
financial gunner

but useful. thank you

whattodo2008

Bronze

Post by whattodo2008 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:28 pm

dgouzoul wrote:
whattodo2008 wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:
financial gunner

but useful. thank you
Lol. I'll settle down and go back into my hole. Last weeks at work...What to do!? :-D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ogman05

Bronze

Post by ogman05 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:32 pm

Gotta be a gunner when it comes to personal finance though. I'm leaving a solid job and HI of about 110k behind and it hurts. To go into debt a good 200-250k gives me some seriously cold feet.

D Brooks

Silver

Post by D Brooks » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:09 pm

ogman05 wrote:Gotta be a gunner when it comes to personal finance though. I'm leaving a solid job and HI of about 110k behind and it hurts. To go into debt a good 200-250k gives me some seriously cold feet.
But biglaw!!!

ogman05

Bronze

Post by ogman05 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:27 pm

O but biglaw. We better hope. On another not I am planning a vacation for winter break and wondering if anyone knows who takes the short term classes. Is that common place or completely optional. On the UVA site academic calendar it quotes:

"Short courses offered January 7-21. Most courses to be offered during the week of January 17-21."

I'm assuming that doing a vaca from 1/9-1/15 would be acceptable then returning for the majority of short courses if I wanted to take that route.

Anyone have any input?

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:25 pm

ogman05 wrote:O but biglaw. We better hope. On another not I am planning a vacation for winter break and wondering if anyone knows who takes the short term classes. Is that common place or completely optional. On the UVA site academic calendar it quotes:

"Short courses offered January 7-21. Most courses to be offered during the week of January 17-21."

I'm assuming that doing a vaca from 1/9-1/15 would be acceptable then returning for the majority of short courses if I wanted to take that route.

Anyone have any input?
Most people don't take short courses, from my observation. An extra week of winter break is preferable to most people. You can vacation until the day before spring semester begins without worry, but if you want to take a short course (I don't see why, unless you really like the professor), returning on the 15th would be fine for most of the courses.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:38 pm

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:17 pm

Cavalier wrote:
ogman05 wrote:O but biglaw. We better hope. On another not I am planning a vacation for winter break and wondering if anyone knows who takes the short term classes. Is that common place or completely optional. On the UVA site academic calendar it quotes:

Anyone have any input?
Most people don't take short courses, from my observation. An extra week of winter break is preferable to most people. You can vacation until the day before spring semester begins without worry, but if you want to take a short course (I don't see why, unless you really like the professor), returning on the 15th would be fine for most of the courses.
I highly recommend taking the Admiralty J-term class. I think a full semester of Admiralty might get boring, but, the J-term is the perfect introduction. Plus, the professor is amazing (Rutherglen).

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:18 am

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:03 pm

YCrevolution wrote:For those looking for laptops, I came across this today: http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Satellite ... 1000484781

I wouldn't say it's an amazing deal, but decent. It's pretty up to date (latest Intel processor series, DDR3 RAM - although this tends to go with a lot of the Intel Core processors... DDR4 standard should be out in 2012, Wireless N Wi-FI, etc.).

Toshiba Satellite L505-GS5037 TruBrite 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black)
- 2.13 GHz Intel Core i3-330M dual-core processor
- Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
- 500GB HD
- 4GB DDR3 RAM
- CD/DVD R/RW drive
- Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n
- 1.3 megapixel webcam
- 3 USB ports (including one combo port)
- 6-cell battery
- 6 pounds
- Energy Star Certified
- One-year limited warranty
I've heard less-than-glowing things about Toshiba hardware. Someone on the laptop thread said they got a Lenovo G460 for a little over 600 bucks with coupons. Pretty similar specs to the Toshibal, 14 inch screen and a 350m processor though. Man I wanna buy a laptop but there is absolutely no need for me to get one until school. I'll probably order one in July anyhow, the technology will only get cheaper/faster even if it's only a month. Right? God I cannot, for the life of me remember its/it's anymore. I never though about it until a few months ago I just totally blanked and now when I look it up I immediately forget right after I close the window. I need to head this off.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”