UVA Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:14 pm

lnz103 wrote:Does anyone feel like living alone and/or not at Ivy Gardens makes it harder to meet people? just a thought...
Well, if I had a roommate, I would probably be driven out of my apartment to avoid him a lot more, so in that sense it might make it easier to meet people if I had one... But that's a tradeoff I'm willing to make.

You will get to know the other 29 people in your section. There's almost no way around it. You will be around each other so much in the first few weeks of classes you will almost be sick of each other. By Fall Break you will feel like you have known half of them all your life. This happened to me and I'm not exactly an expert on socializing.

From there, you'll have plenty of opportunity to join groups and meet people with similar interests quickly that way, to get involved in pro bono programs and meet others through them, and to join in the almost mandatory softball madness. If you end up having to rely on having a roommate to meet people here, you're doing something wrong.

I would advocate living either on Arlington Blvd. or at Ivy Gardens for being social, those are the two places where most 1Ls will be clustered. I had Thanksgiving dinner with a bunch of classmates at the Jeffersonian. Social events will either be at Ivy or along Arlington and the two spots are walkable from one to the other. If something ends up happening off-campus, you'll be near so many classmates I guarantee you'll find one with a car that can give you a ride.

I favor Arlington because you can walk to Ivy and it's a very short walk from Barracks Road Shopping Center. Others favor Ivy because it's right next to the North Grounds Rec Center and there's a bit higher concentration of 1Ls and parties there than along Arlington. You really can't go too wrong with either location.

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:21 am

UVA needs a new football coach, my vote goes for Charlie Strong.

Philo38

Bronze

Post by Philo38 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:45 pm

So, the Jeffersonian is one of the apartments on Arlington, what are the others? In other words, would anybody mind listing all the apartments that are within walking distance? I know of only two: Ivy and Jeffersonian. Thanks.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:49 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:UVA needs a new football coach, my vote goes for Charlie Strong.
This.

I'm dismayed that most of the schools that are targets for me have underwhelming football squads (UVA, Mich, Duke, etc.)

Philo38

Bronze

Post by Philo38 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:54 pm

Kretzy wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:UVA needs a new football coach, my vote goes for Charlie Strong.
This.

I'm dismayed that most of the schools that are targets for me have underwhelming football squads (UVA, Mich, Duke, etc.)
I'm just happy to be going to a school with a football program at all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:59 pm

Kretzy wrote:I'm dismayed that most of the schools that are targets for me have underwhelming football squads (UVA, Mich, Duke, etc.)
In the law school application process, it's generally a good sign if your targets have mediocre football teams.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:16 pm

Cavalier wrote:
Kretzy wrote:I'm dismayed that most of the schools that are targets for me have underwhelming football squads (UVA, Mich, Duke, etc.)
In the law school application process, it's generally a good sign if your targets have mediocre football teams.
Yeah. My undergrad cut our football team, so I'd like to see some games in law school. I guess it doesn't matter if they lose, I'd still be at UVA/Mich/Duke Law.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:34 pm

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:36 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lnz103

New

Post by lnz103 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:40 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
Cavalier wrote:
Yeah. My undergrad cut our football team, so I'd like to see some games in law school. I guess it doesn't matter if they lose, I'd still be at UVA/Mich/Duke Law.
UVA football beat UNC this year, and that's all that really matters (to me).
Georgia Tech's last minute fail vs UGA breaks my heart :cry: ... Going to UVA with no athletic expectations will probably make life a little easier.

Philo38

Bronze

Post by Philo38 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:50 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Philo38 wrote:So, the Jeffersonian is one of the apartments on Arlington, what are the others? In other words, would anybody mind listing all the apartments that are within walking distance? I know of only two: Ivy and Jeffersonian. Thanks.
From closest to farthest (relatively):
Copeley (student housing; two to a bedroom and a total of four for a suite)
Jeffersonian
Arlington condos/townhomes (often rented out by their owners as a rental property)
Graduate Center (your own room/bathroom, but otherwise shared with up to three other people)
Ivy Gardens
Huntington Townhomes (next to Ivy Gardens and under the same management)
University Forum (three bedroom apartments only; this can be a fifteen minute walk one-way unless you take the bus)
Thank you very much.

whattodo2008

Bronze

Post by whattodo2008 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:21 pm

lnz103 wrote:
jdavid901 wrote:
lnz103 wrote:I need a roommate.. preferably female and reasonably sane :) I'm probably going to make a trip to look at Ivy Gardens and the Jeffersonian after the first of the year so if any of y'all are already looking for a roommate let me know
I am also looking for a roommate, although, I am male and, some people say, a little insane. So, probably not what you're looking for. However, on the subject of your visit to Ivy and Jeffersonian, previous posts say there's little chance of getting a room at the Jeffersonian unless you submit an application on or around January 1st.
I may just end up applying for a one bedroom at the Jeffersonian... does anyone have any pictures of an apartment there? There aren't any on the website, just floor plans.

Does anyone feel like living alone and/or not at Ivy Gardens makes it harder to meet people? just a thought...

I hope to see some inside pics of jeffersonian and ivy gardens, so that I can have an easier time deciding. Thanks! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

lnz103

New

Post by lnz103 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:24 pm

whattodo2008 wrote:
I hope to see some inside pics of jeffersonian and ivy gardens, so that I can have an easier time deciding. Thanks! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I e-mailed the property manager of the Jeffersonian and she quickly sent me a few pictures of an apartment (PM me an e-mail address and I can forward you the pics). Ivy Gardens has a slide show on their website of the interior of a 2 br.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bdrr

New

Post by bdrr » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:48 pm

Ya know, I figure it might be better to find a roommate before looking for an apartment. So... HERE'S MY AD

I am: *Male / White / Jewish / West Coast*

Required
- Non-smoker (weed included)
- Party elsewhere (quiet apartment)
- Not a radical liberal/conservative
- Clean in common areas

Recommended
- Nerd (past mmo experience is a plus - it's a subculture in itself)
- Sports fan (this does not include Nascar, seriously)

Message me if you figure we might be able to make it 8 months without plotting each other's demise.

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:20 am

Talked to admissions yesterday and I'm in, pretty awesome. I sounded like an idiot on the phone cause I got back from madrid at 11 on Sunday, did some stuff, worked all day, felt like I got hit by a truck. Still, the director was really nice and a straight shooter for sure. I'm very excited to be joining you fine people.

Random spurious thoughts:

Football is gonna rebuild, by our 3L year they may be decent. It's also ACC football so...matters.

Basketball just got a new coach who recruited well this year and last. In a loaded ACC there will always be tons of solid BBall games. I also prefer BBall to football, the tournament trumps everything. Hopefully Bennet leads us to said tournament.

Anyone wanna get in on the ground floor of a UVA-TLS fantasy football league? Figured people could PM me, first 11 or so are in the league. We could get together between moving in and starting classes, grab a case of beer, have a draft. Be a nice get to know each other before classes start. I'm sure too, given the nature of the average law school kid, it will be hyper-competitive. There will also be no end to the bad legal pun team names. Think it over. We could wager on the league to keep it interesting. A few bucks, a round of beers come season end, a golden TLS-UVA traveling trophy in the form of a gavel for the winner to keep and gloat over? Perhaps Ken would want to interview the champion for the site so 0Ls could know what it takes to succeed in the 1st year of law school (fantasy football league).

Do they have Yuengling in the Virginia?

I'll search the thread more closely later, but roommates are something I'm up for. I'd like to live in Ivy or at least close to the law school. Here's what I bring to the table:

Xbox 360
solid taste in music
Seldom around
Don't smoke or do any illegal drugs

I think I'm visiting with some family in December because my mother has an old high school friend in the area and I haven't seen the school yet. I'm in London until December 12th, then home, so I'll probably visit between Xmas and New Years.

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:06 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:Talked to admissions yesterday and I'm in, pretty awesome. I sounded like an idiot on the phone cause I got back from madrid at 11 on Sunday, did some stuff, worked all day, felt like I got hit by a truck. Still, the director was really nice and a straight shooter for sure. I'm very excited to be joining you fine people.

Random spurious thoughts:

Football is gonna rebuild, by our 3L year they may be decent. It's also ACC football so...matters.

Basketball just got a new coach who recruited well this year and last. In a loaded ACC there will always be tons of solid BBall games. I also prefer BBall to football, the tournament trumps everything. Hopefully Bennet leads us to said tournament.

Anyone wanna get in on the ground floor of a UVA-TLS fantasy football league? Figured people could PM me, first 11 or so are in the league. We could get together between moving in and starting classes, grab a case of beer, have a draft. Be a nice get to know each other before classes start. I'm sure too, given the nature of the average law school kid, it will be hyper-competitive. There will also be no end to the bad legal pun team names. Think it over. We could wager on the league to keep it interesting. A few bucks, a round of beers come season end, a golden TLS-UVA traveling trophy in the form of a gavel for the winner to keep and gloat over? Perhaps Ken would want to interview the champion for the site so 0Ls could know what it takes to succeed in the 1st year of law school (fantasy football league).

Do they have Yuengling in the Virginia?

I'll search the thread more closely later, but roommates are something I'm up for. I'd like to live in Ivy or at least close to the law school. Here's what I bring to the table:

Xbox 360
solid taste in music
Seldom around
Don't smoke or do any illegal drugs

I think I'm visiting with some family in December because my mother has an old high school friend in the area and I haven't seen the school yet. I'm in London until December 12th, then home, so I'll probably visit between Xmas and New Years.
Yes, TLS-UVA fantasy football needs to happen.

jnorsky

Bronze

Post by jnorsky » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:19 pm

Kretzy wrote:
This.

As a Umich alumni, please dont group their squad in with Duke and UVA, its disrespectful. Michigan will definitely be good, we just switched last year from a pro style offense that was in place for 50 years to a spread and we dont have all the right players yet, our offense is already top notch, just need a few recruits on D and hello big ten champs (not saying much). Also, no matter what, the big house rules all.

For now, i root for the cavs, at least dbrickashaw ferguson is a beast.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:23 pm

HeelsforHoos

New

Post by HeelsforHoos » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:25 pm

Kretzy wrote:
This.

Duke has a football team?

jnorsky

Bronze

Post by jnorsky » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:29 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
jnorsky wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
This.

... please dont group their squad in with Duke and UVA, it's disrespectful.
Disrespectful to Duke and UVA? Sure. :mrgreen:
haha touche. At least UVA has had some ridiculous nfl talent come through, but Duke, give me a break, i could play football for duke

1wontdo

New

Post by 1wontdo » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:22 pm

Housing Question: Do any law students live further away from the law school, like Grady, Preston, JPA? Or is that area totally dominated by undergrads?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:24 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:Do they have Yuengling in the Virginia?
People drink almost nothing but Yuengling around here. It's either Yuengling or local microbrew.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:28 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
People drink almost nothing but Yuengling around here. It's either Yuengling or local microbrew.
This just shot UVA up a good amount on my list :)

And if I end up attending (probably a decent prospect at this point, unless I get into Chicago/Stanford/Yale), count me in for fantasy football.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:28 pm

1wontdo wrote:Housing Question: Do any law students live further away from the law school, like Grady, Preston, JPA? Or is that area totally dominated by undergrads?
I know several law students living on Preston, but they're almost all 2Ls and 3Ls. The thing people seem to advocate (and I agree with this) is that it's important to live close to campus for your 1L year, and then after you get comfortable with your academic burdens and get to know the city better, you can decide where else you'd want to live.

Traffic between here and JPA is a goddamn nightmare. If it's morning rush, evening rush, an event going on for either football or basketball, or a concert at JPJ, the intersection of Emmet and Ivy/University is just plain hosed. You're going through 7 or 8 light cycles just to get through it, minimum. You could take Copeley but traffic tends to build up along it too as a reliever to Emmet, or because it's another way in/out of the football stadium.

As a 1L, I'm going through enough stress living within walking distance. I'd shoot myself if I had to put up with that traffic on the way to and from the law school every day right now too.

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:19 pm

vanwinkle wrote:

Care to expand on the local microbrew scene? I can be a bit of a beer snob so I love me some local microbrews and well-kept bottle shops. I'll certainly miss Pittsburgh because the beer scene is pretty great, especially considering PA's restricting liquor laws.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”