UVA Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
thesealocust

Platinum

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Post by thesealocust » Sat May 29, 2010 12:29 pm

edited / never mind
Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Sat May 29, 2010 12:46 pm

Anyone know if you could upgrade the bundle to the 15'' MacBook Pro?

D Brooks

Silver

Post by D Brooks » Sat May 29, 2010 1:01 pm

I don't know much about computers but I think I'll just get the Mac bundle and save myself the hassle.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Sat May 29, 2010 1:51 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:Anyone know if you could upgrade the bundle to the 15'' MacBook Pro?
You could buy the undergraduate bundle. They have an option for the 15in, I believe.

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Sat May 29, 2010 3:19 pm

5ky wrote:
joemoviebuff wrote:Anyone know if you could upgrade the bundle to the 15'' MacBook Pro?
You could buy the undergraduate bundle. They have an option for the 15in, I believe.
They do. But they also start at $2,000 :shock:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

slider

Bronze

Post by slider » Sat May 29, 2010 4:38 pm

thesealocust wrote:If you're into macs, the mac bundle isn't a horrible deal. If anybody buys the PC bundle I will be a sad panda, as you can usually buy two PC laptops of the same specs for the price of one bundle. How's that for having a backup plan -.-
I was thinking the same thing but does anyone know if UVA will allow you to buy two laptops with the computer loan? The wording below seems as if they will only allow extended funds for one notebook.

The Law School's Financial Aid Office will increase a student's budget up to $2,500 toward the cost of any notebook computer purchased on or after May 1, 2010 upon request from the student and submission of supporting documentation (i.e., sales receipt or PC vendor's price quote) to the Financial Aid Office. This increase is available only to J.D. candidates.

howcani111

New

Post by howcani111 » Sat May 29, 2010 4:40 pm

slider wrote:
thesealocust wrote:If you're into macs, the mac bundle isn't a horrible deal. If anybody buys the PC bundle I will be a sad panda, as you can usually buy two PC laptops of the same specs for the price of one bundle. How's that for having a backup plan -.-
I was thinking the same thing but does anyone know if UVA will allow you to buy two laptops with the computer loan? The wording below seems as if they will only allow extended funds for one notebook.

The Law School's Financial Aid Office will increase a student's budget up to $2,500 toward the cost of any notebook computer purchased on or after May 1, 2010 upon request from the student and submission of supporting documentation (i.e., sales receipt or PC vendor's price quote) to the Financial Aid Office. This increase is available only to J.D. candidates.
i think it's only one. I would be surprised if it's two.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Sat May 29, 2010 5:55 pm

"Toward the cost of any notebook computer" doesn't imply a limit of one, IMO. It'd be a stupid limit anyway, since buying 3 cheap computers over 3 years is almost undoubtedly better than buying 1 really expensive computer. Probably best to ask, though.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Sat May 29, 2010 6:15 pm

If people are seriously going to buy multiple computers I suggest http://www.tigerdirect.com or http://www.newegg.com

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sat May 29, 2010 10:38 pm

Don't buy the UVA PCs. I got one for half the cost of the bundle, and it will run Starcraft 2 better than anything UVA has to offer!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sat May 29, 2010 10:59 pm

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sat May 29, 2010 11:14 pm

edited / never mind
Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ogman05

Bronze

Post by ogman05 » Sun May 30, 2010 1:05 am

Don;t know if this has been mentioned in the thread and I forgot to really check when I was down there but does anyone know how ATT's network is down in charlottesville. Specifically the iphone. My contract is set to be renewed in june and I was gonna jump on the iphone 4 but want to make sure that I will actually get service. Is it worth it having an iphone since I will be near a cpu 24/7 now? Any input...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun May 30, 2010 1:20 am

ogman05 wrote:Don;t know if this has been mentioned in the thread and I forgot to really check when I was down there but does anyone know how ATT's network is down in charlottesville. Specifically the iphone. My contract is set to be renewed in june and I was gonna jump on the iphone 4 but want to make sure that I will actually get service. Is it worth it having an iphone since I will be near a cpu 24/7 now? Any input...
When I first visited C'ville, the reception was terrible. No 3G coverage in the entire area and I was losing coverage moving around inside the law school. In what must have been a timed move, though, they announced to much hoopla just when classes started that they were launching 3G coverage locally. Now I get 3G service and 4-5 bars in the major city areas.

One thing you can consider doing is getting an iPod touch. Once you've configured it for the UVA wireless network, you can get Internet service from anywhere in the law school in order to check E-mail, Facebook, etc., everything you'd use the iPhone for (except phone calls). You have to install a special digital encryption certificate on your iPod touch to get the WiFi to work, but once you do that you're golden.

ogman05

Bronze

Post by ogman05 » Sun May 30, 2010 1:31 am

vanwinkle wrote:
ogman05 wrote:Don;t know if this has been mentioned in the thread and I forgot to really check when I was down there but does anyone know how ATT's network is down in charlottesville. Specifically the iphone. My contract is set to be renewed in june and I was gonna jump on the iphone 4 but want to make sure that I will actually get service. Is it worth it having an iphone since I will be near a cpu 24/7 now? Any input...
When I first visited C'ville, the reception was terrible. No 3G coverage in the entire area and I was losing coverage moving around inside the law school. In what must have been a timed move, though, they announced to much hoopla just when classes started that they were launching 3G coverage locally. Now I get 3G service and 4-5 bars in the major city areas.

One thing you can consider doing is getting an iPod touch. Once you've configured it for the UVA wireless network, you can get Internet service from anywhere in the law school in order to check E-mail, Facebook, etc., everything you'd use the iPhone for (except phone calls). You have to install a special digital encryption certificate on your iPod touch to get the WiFi to work, but once you do that you're golden.
Not a bad idea at all. I may consider doing this. It would save some money for sure. The iphone is nice to have when you are traveling too though. For those trips home it would still be handy.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun May 30, 2010 1:37 am

Also keep in mind that if you buy a MBP right now through Apple's summer back-to-school promotion, they'll give you a free iPod touch, which you could use for that very purpose.

ogman05

Bronze

Post by ogman05 » Sun May 30, 2010 1:42 am

vanwinkle wrote:Also keep in mind that if you buy a MBP right now through Apple's summer back-to-school promotion, they'll give you a free iPod touch, which you could use for that very purpose.
Tru I'm just more into PC's. Never made the conversion and doing so before law school doesnt make much send. Im leaning towards a lenovo for my studies. But itouch's run pretty cheap in comparison to the iphone. Or I could just keep the 3gs and connect thru wifi with that and disconnect service. All options.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sun May 30, 2010 3:25 am

slider wrote:

Uh.... [evil]UVA simply requires you to let them know what you plan to purchase. If you send them an invoice that you play to buy an Alienware PC for $5000, they'll give you the full $2,500 and stop caring the moment the money is transferred.[/evil]

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sun May 30, 2010 8:20 am

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Sun May 30, 2010 8:52 am

YCrevolution wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
slider wrote:

Uh.... [evil]UVA simply requires you to let them know what you plan to purchase. If you send them an invoice that you play to buy an Alienware PC for $5000, they'll give you the full $2,500 and stop caring the moment the money is transferred.[/evil]
Last year, they awarded me the aid money without even an invoice, so....
I would totally love to to do this! I like the idea of getting the $2500, buying a relatively modestly priced laptop with warranty from outside vendor, and keeping the leftover money in bank account. When/if something goes wrong with my laptop and it's officially donezo I can go get another laptop, which will be an upgrade since this will be sometime in the future. Everybody wins...UVa gets their loan money back eventually, I get two baller laptops over the course of my time there. This would mean I would have to lie/mislead them to get the money though...not really how I want to start my legal career. Maybe if I submitted two invoices equaling or totaling more than $2500 and explain my plan?

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Sun May 30, 2010 9:52 pm

I'm going the gaming desktop/cheap laptop route.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Mon May 31, 2010 1:00 pm

UVA baseball jobbed again...given the #5 overall seed and put in a regional with the best pitcher in the country despite being clearly in the top 3 the entire season.

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Mon May 31, 2010 3:54 pm

I think I've asked this before, but are there any beer snobs out there?

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Mon May 31, 2010 6:00 pm

That question reminds me, I told my friends that I intended not to drink when I went to law school...and was promptly laughed at. -__-

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Mon May 31, 2010 6:03 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:I think I've asked this before, but are there any beer snobs out there?
I'm not a snob about it, but I definitely enjoy good beer.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”