UVA Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
jawsthegreat

Silver

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Post by jawsthegreat » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:41 pm

Philo38 wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:I didn't want to look back through the thread to see who set up the fantasy football league so I'll just put it here at the top:

1 - Can we get anyone else in? 8 guys is a little thin, I think 12 would be more competitive. 8 is everyone has an all-star team.

2- The scoring is really QB heavy, we may want to look at that. The return yards might need knocked down too because 1pt/20 yards is steep.
Yeah, its me. We can definitely talk about whatever scoring changes people want to make, I have tweaked the scoring over many years to suit the kind of game I prefer but totally willing to make some changes there.

As to the more people, I would be disappointed if we ended up with only 8 so we need to think about some more recruiting options. Outside of this forum though I don't have any contact with any UVA law people so I am kind of out of options until I make it to Cville.

Also, once we get everybody in, I fully plan to talk to everybody about a draft style/date that works for everybody and all.

What would you prefer with the return yards? Are you saying 20 yards is to many for 1 point, or 1 point is to high for 20 yards?

Also: Feel free to give suggestions on the QB situation as well. I'm not attached to any of the numbers.
I think what he is suggesting (which I agree with) is that 1 point for every twenty yards is probably too high.

edit: I also don't really have a problem with the QB scoring, fwiw.

napolnic

Bronze

Post by napolnic » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:33 pm

jnorsky wrote:just called north grounds gym, they said that once we have our ID's we should be able to use the gym.
Technically I don't think this is correct, but see anecdotes from last year here.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:28 pm

napolnic wrote:
jnorsky wrote:just called north grounds gym, they said that once we have our ID's we should be able to use the gym.
Technically I don't think this is correct, but see anecdotes from last year here.
It's probably not. I asked the other day just to double-check for them. They MIGHT have started running some kind of exception for law students but it seems unlikely.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:30 pm

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:55 pm

Back to FF:

Yes I believe that the return yard scoring is too much and it's going to make the league pretty up and down and unstable. I'm fine with just no return yards. It's really a taste thing, the league I've been in is really standard scoring. I'm fine with the QB scoring mostly, we should just recognize that it is a QB heavy league.

As far as drafting I'm cool serpentine or I'd go auction. We should do it live if we can I'm sure someone will have a centrally located apartment and I'm willing to bike or whatever. Maybe we grab some brews.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:06 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:Back to FF:

Yes I believe that the return yard scoring is too much and it's going to make the league pretty up and down and unstable. I'm fine with just no return yards. It's really a taste thing, the league I've been in is really standard scoring. I'm fine with the QB scoring mostly, we should just recognize that it is a QB heavy league.

As far as drafting I'm cool serpentine or I'd go auction. We should do it live if we can I'm sure someone will have a centrally located apartment and I'm willing to bike or whatever. Maybe we grab some brews.
Yea, we should definitely do it live. I'll throw out my 1BR Ivy apartment as a potential draft locale.

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:05 am

jawsthegreat wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:Back to FF:

Yea, we should definitely do it live. I'll throw out my 1BR Ivy apartment as a potential draft locale.
I've never done fantasy football, but this sounds like something I might want to get in on.

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:07 am

random thought: are people allowed to use the internet during exams? google stuff, etc?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:10 am

plum wrote:random thought: are people allowed to use the internet during exams? google stuff, etc?
I had one professor that allowed this. All the others, though, the answer is hell no.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:19 am

Do they have programs that recognize if you break this rule?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:22 am

billyez wrote:Do they have programs that recognize if you break this rule?
No, they just have the honor code (which I'm concerned you might struggle with more than most students).

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:25 am

I just asked that question to mess with you. :twisted:

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:45 am

flyingpanda wrote:I've never done fantasy football, but this sounds like something I might want to get in on.
Go to http://www.espn.com/fantasy and read Matthew Berry's Draft Day Manifesto. Also, any of the bevy of fantasy magazines will have a primer. ESPN might have something even more basic than the primer.

*edit* It is something you want to get in on.

Ivy seems like a good place to draft because it is so close to the law school we all presumably live near.

Also, I have been hanging around in the lounge a bit lately all like "lulz this Billyez guy, lulz." I somehow never knew he was a wahoo and then I come here and he's posting up and down the thread. It's just been... hard for me. Also, and I haven't been to law school yet obviously, but I'm assuming if you're in an exam and there is a need for you to tab out and google something you are already pretty fu(|<ed.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheSharklord

Bronze

Post by TheSharklord » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:53 am

vanwinkle wrote:
plum wrote:random thought: are people allowed to use the internet during exams? google stuff, etc?
I had one professor that allowed this. All the others, though, the answer is hell no.
If it were an open book test already I have a feeling that the internet wouldn't help you come up with an exam-ready answer. Unless, of course, you post your response here "post-LSAT style" and try to mine the answers from the forum responses. Because TLS is always right. Always.

FeuerFrei

Bronze

Post by FeuerFrei » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:05 am

Last edited by FeuerFrei on Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lady LaLa

New

Post by Lady LaLa » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:47 am

Hey Guys,

I'm still looking for some volunteers to help me move in this Saturday, the 31st. Please, please PM me if you can help. I promise beer and pizza in return for your kindness!

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:36 pm

Lady LaLa wrote:Hey Guys,

I'm still looking for some volunteers to help me move in this Saturday, the 31st. Please, please PM me if you can help. I promise beer and pizza in return for your kindness!
Not moving in until the 4th, sorry. On another note, I know who you are now! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jnorsky

Bronze

Post by jnorsky » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:39 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
napolnic wrote:
It's probably not. I asked the other day just to double-check for them. They MIGHT have started running some kind of exception for law students but it seems unlikely.
If I were to guess, the person who said the ID automatically gets you into the gym was wrong.

I hope not, i called yesterday, spoke with someone who went to ask one of her supervisors and she said once we have our ID's its all good from there

TheSharklord

Bronze

Post by TheSharklord » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:08 pm

jnorsky wrote:
YCrevolution wrote: If I were to guess, the person who said the ID automatically gets you into the gym was wrong.

I hope not, i called yesterday, spoke with someone who went to ask one of her supervisors and she said once we have our ID's its all good from there
The gym will always let you in with ID. Which means...we are all still asleep.

whattodo2008

Bronze

Post by whattodo2008 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:03 pm

$59.99 internets comcast. Damn them. Really tempted to stick w/free Jeffersonian internet and do better things with the $60... Are there any other non-comcast options?

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:06 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

howcani111

New

Post by howcani111 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:29 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
whattodo2008 wrote:$59.99 internets comcast. Damn them. Really tempted to stick w/free Jeffersonian internet and do better things with the $60... Are there any other non-comcast options?
Jeffersonian Internet doesn't really work. Unfortunately, it's Comcast is the only other alternative at the Jeffersonian.

*It's odd that it's $60 for Internet. I'm supposed to pay $52.95 fixed each month (they vary it by +/- $5 because they're incompetent) for Comcast Internet
couldn't you get a phone with interet access and just use that internet connection to your laptop?

whattodo2008

Bronze

Post by whattodo2008 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:36 pm

howcani111 wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
whattodo2008 wrote:$59.99 internets comcast. Damn them. Really tempted to stick w/free Jeffersonian internet and do better things with the $60... Are there any other non-comcast options?
Jeffersonian Internet doesn't really work. Unfortunately, it's Comcast is the only other alternative at the Jeffersonian.

*It's odd that it's $60 for Internet. I'm supposed to pay $52.95 fixed each month (they vary it by +/- $5 because they're incompetent) for Comcast Internet
couldn't you get a phone with interet access and just use that internet connection to your laptop?

hmm, how does that work? Tell me more :-) ...

howcani111

New

Post by howcani111 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:48 pm

Wi11iam

New

Post by Wi11iam » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:55 pm

Wow, I just came on here to ask this exact question... *shakes fist at Comcast*

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”