UVA Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:46 pm

YCrevolution wrote:I'll be in C'ville with a research assistant gig.
Cavalier wrote:I'll be an RA as well.
Do y'all have these lined up already?

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:17 pm

vanwinkle wrote:Do y'all have these lined up already?
Yes, I was hired a week ago.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:22 pm

Cavalier wrote:
Jesus, I am so screwed.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:26 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Cavalier wrote:
Jesus, I am so screwed.
I wouldn't worry about it. There are a fair amount of RA postings up now. Just apply for them all.

avacado111

Bronze

Post by avacado111 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:33 pm

do any 1ls have sa jobs?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:27 am

avacado111 wrote:do any 1ls have sa jobs?
Yes.

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:17 am

So I spent a nice day in Charlottesville yesterday at the baseball complex to see Dartmouth play. Really nice facilities, and great weather (relatively) so it was a good time.

Didn't get a whole lot of time to check out the campus, but drove around a bit and it seems really nice. Met with some old friends/teammates for dinner at Blue Light Grill, and had some really good angus steak.

Thought the mall area where we walked around a bit before and after dinner was quite nice, in particular.

HJO

Bronze

Post by HJO » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:14 am

Can any of you guys estimate the percentage of 1L's who have SA in a major market lined up for this summer?

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:20 am

HJO wrote:Can any of you guys estimate the percentage of 1L's who have SA in a major market lined up for this summer?
The vast majority of 1Ls do not have SA jobs, and of the few who do, many have them in secondary markets that they have ties to. For instance, a few of the firms that interviewed here were from Alabama, so at least a couple people who happen to have ties there were able to get jobs. I only know one person with a SA job in a "major market."

If you have no ties to secondary markets in Virginia or the South, your chance of getting a SA job after 1L is very slim. If you do happen to have ties, you stand a slightly higher chance, but you'd still be lucky to get one.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:24 am

Cavalier wrote:
HJO wrote:Can any of you guys estimate the percentage of 1L's who have SA in a major market lined up for this summer?
The vast majority of 1Ls do not have SA jobs, and of the few who do, many have them in secondary markets that they have ties to. For instance, a few of the firms that interviewed here were from Alabama, so at least a couple people who happen to have ties there were able to get jobs. I only know one person with a SA job in a "major market."

If you have no ties to secondary markets in Virginia or the South, your chance of getting a SA job after 1L is very slim. If you do happen to have ties, you stand a slightly higher chance, but you'd still be lucky to get one.
Your profile says you are from Washington yet you have an SA lined up. Good grades?

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:35 am

oneforship wrote:So I spent a nice day in Charlottesville yesterday at the baseball complex to see Dartmouth play. Really nice facilities, and great weather (relatively) so it was a good time.

Didn't get a whole lot of time to check out the campus, but drove around a bit and it seems really nice. Met with some old friends/teammates for dinner at Blue Light Grill, and had some really good angus steak.

Thought the mall area where we walked around a bit before and after dinner was quite nice, in particular.
You forgot/neglected to mention the score. UVA 14, Dartmouth 3.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:42 am

Maybe 1% or 2%?

Of the four people I know with SAs, only one is in a major market (DC).

Muckduck

Bronze

Post by Muckduck » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:49 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
Maybe 1% or 2%?

Yikes!

On top of that news, I had my first LS nightmare last night! I got a B- on a final. The professor had written A- inside the bluebook, but he had made a mistake and recorded it as a B-. Then he didn't want to switch it back and mess up the curve he had constructed... Ah! Hopefully it wasn't prophetic.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PartyOfOne

New

Post by PartyOfOne » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:01 pm

oneforship wrote:So I spent a nice day in Charlottesville yesterday at the baseball complex to see Dartmouth play. Really nice facilities, and great weather (relatively) so it was a good time.

Oneforship - Sounds like you played baseball at Dartmouth. If so, we probably played against each other at some point. I was on the team at another Ivy all four years and graduated in 07.

I have to admit, the softball scene at UVA sounds like a lot of fun even if it's not quite as serious as what we're used to. Can anyone attest to the competitiveness of UVA Law softball? Is there any talent out there?

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:21 pm

gladiator wrote:

You forgot/neglected to mention the score. UVA 14, Dartmouth 3.
Was fairly irrelevant to my post, but aside from the two innings where the Dartmouth starter struggled with control, it was a good game. Also, UVA should beat Dartmouth in just about every sport.

Overall, I wasn't super impressed with UVA as the #1 team in the country, but they were good.

Muckduck

Bronze

Post by Muckduck » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:22 pm

PartyOfOne wrote:

Oneforship - Sounds like you played baseball at Dartmouth. If so, we probably played against each other at some point. I was on the team at another Ivy all four years and graduated in 07.

I have to admit, the softball scene at UVA sounds like a lot of fun even if it's not quite as serious as what we're used to. Can anyone attest to the competitiveness of UVA Law softball? Is there any talent out there?
I've been told by a current 1L that if you are semi-athletic and have any experience playing softball, you are going to look pretty good... (this is referring to games between sections. This may not be true of other leagues in Charlottesville)

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:39 pm

Muckduck wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:
Maybe 1% or 2%?

Yikes!

On top of that news, I had my first LS nightmare last night! I got a B- on a final. The professor had written A- inside the bluebook, but he had made a mistake and recorded it as a B-. Then he didn't want to switch it back and mess up the curve he had constructed... Ah! Hopefully it wasn't prophetic.
Given there are no bluebooks in law school, I'd say you're unlikely to duplicate that one in real life.

Re: softball competitiveness; if you're really good you'll be on a tournament team and will get to play some very competitive teams in the invitational. Section games will be frustrating but there are some fairly good mens and co-rec teams that compete for the championship.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:50 pm

Doritos wrote:
Cavalier wrote:

Your profile says you are from Washington yet you have an SA lined up. Good grades?
No, I posted that I have an RA job. RA = research assistant, SA = summer associate. Big difference, especially in pay.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:17 pm

UVA: Master of non-revenue sports:

Soccer- National champions
Baseball- Ranked #1
Tennis- Ranked #1
Lacrosse- Will be ranked #1 tomorrow after beating #1 Syracuse today

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:06 pm

Ok, I realize I probably should have asked this before I ED'ed, but too late now...

I have really bad allergies, does anyone have any experience with this in C-Ville? (Talking about seasonal pollen allergies)

Also, anyone want to play tennis with me :) ?

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:59 pm

aznflyingpanda wrote:Ok, I realize I probably should have asked this before I ED'ed, but too late now...

I have really bad allergies, does anyone have any experience with this in C-Ville? (Talking about seasonal pollen allergies)

Only one data point, but my allergies have miraculously disappeared since I moved to Charlottesville. Of course, it's not yet spring.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:40 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
aznflyingpanda wrote:Ok, I realize I probably should have asked this before I ED'ed, but too late now...

Only one data point, but my allergies have miraculously disappeared since I moved to Charlottesville. Of course, it's not yet spring.
Yeah I'm scared of spring, my allergies just started acting up today and made me think of it. Oh well, there's always Claratin anyways.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:53 pm

Cavalier wrote:
Doritos wrote:
Cavalier wrote:

No, I posted that I have an RA job. RA = research assistant, SA = summer associate. Big difference, especially in pay.
Vaya

jdavid901

New

Post by jdavid901 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:20 pm

I've never played tennis, but sure, I'll play tennis with you! ...or at least act as a moving target for ya :mrgreen:

Muckduck

Bronze

Post by Muckduck » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:05 am

JSUVA2012 wrote:
Maybe 1% or 2%?

It is not uncommon though for the majority of 1Ls to have no SA positions right? Although some 1Ls do get jobs, it is not a sign of the "lawpocolypse" that many have not.

I was under the impression that it wasn't generally until 2L that firms viewed law students as worth the investment and close enough to graduation to make lucrative summer offers.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”