UVA Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
vamedic03

Gold

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Post by vamedic03 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:39 pm

Lady LaLa wrote:Are there any 1L professors who don't let you use outlines at all?
O'Connell who teaches one section of 1L Torts gives a true closed book exam . . . if you get him, he's a uva legend

Lady LaLa

New

Post by Lady LaLa » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:13 pm

Legend? As in known to make grown law students weep?

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:36 pm

Lady LaLa wrote:Legend? As in known to make grown law students weep?
He certainly made me weep.

JOC is a lesson in arbitrariness, in many ways. Tenure is not always such a good thing.

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:03 am

That is all.

Lady LaLa

New

Post by Lady LaLa » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:18 am

Is there any way possible to avoid this notorious JOC? Or, is it pretty much up to the class scheduling gods?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

slider

Bronze

Post by slider » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:28 am

Lady LaLa wrote:Is there any way possible to avoid this notorious JOC? Or, is it pretty much up to the class scheduling gods?
+1
I was going to ask the exact same thing.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:46 am

Lady LaLa

New

Post by Lady LaLa » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:15 am

There is definately going to be a lot of prayer between now and the time when we receive our schedules.

Philo38

Bronze

Post by Philo38 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:21 am

Are there any other names that we should be worried about if we see them on our schedule?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:12 pm

Philo38 wrote:Are there any other names that we should be worried about if we see them on our schedule?
You are not prepared.

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:13 pm

Each class is curved, what does it matter who your professors are?

laranelly1503

New

Post by laranelly1503 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:53 pm

Has anyone checked out University Heights apartments? I'd love to join all of you at the Ivy, but they don't allow pets. Let me know your thoughts on UH. Thanks!

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:20 pm

Any body get finaid package yet?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Philo38

Bronze

Post by Philo38 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:47 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
Philo38 wrote:Are there any other names that we should be worried about if we see them on our schedule?
You are not prepared.
. . . Okay.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:47 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:Each class is curved, what does it matter who your professors are?
:| You haven't been to law school yet.

This is exaggerating a bit, but compare two classes:

In 1, the professor teaches all the doctrine in an organized fashion. Those who pay attention and work hard can infer from the course the type and depth of analysis the professor is looking for on the exam. The exam then covers appropriate breadth and depth of the course as it was taught. If you mess up on one question, you have several others on which you can make it up; your grade is likely to reflect your understanding of the overall course.

In 2, the professor's class is basically story time. Very little doctrine is taught. The professor uses much of class time to espouse his personal policy views and research interests. The exam is 5 questions of multiple choice (in a three hour period), or a single essay question turning on whether you remembered two or three minor cases in the course.

Both courses count for 4 credits (and over 25%) of your first semester GPA. Is that fair? Will the fact that both courses are curved really be that comforting to you?
Last edited by RVP11 on Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Philo38

Bronze

Post by Philo38 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:49 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:Each class is curved, what does it matter who your professors are?
Plus just if they aren't as enjoyable/good of a professor is important to me as well.
Last edited by Philo38 on Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jtang11

New

Post by jtang11 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:49 pm

Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:Any body get finaid package yet?
Last I spoke to the financial aid office, they said they were reviewing applications for financial aid this month and would begin sending out offers at the end of the month.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:51 pm

Philo38 wrote:
Plus just if they aren't as enjoyable/good of a professor is important to me as well.
It matters for a lot more than that. See my post above.

You are likely, at any law school, to have at least one horrific oddball professor who gives a pathetic exam after teaching a pathetic course.

Philo38

Bronze

Post by Philo38 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:52 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
Philo38 wrote:
It matters for a lot more than that. See my post above.

You are likely, at any law school, to have at least one horrific oddball professor who gives a pathetic exam after teaching a pathetic course.
Yeah, your post was really interesting. I definitly see how it matters.

michstudent10

Bronze

Post by michstudent10 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:15 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:

In 1, the professor teaches all the doctrine in an organized fashion. Those who pay attention and work hard can infer from the course the type and depth of analysis the professor is looking for on the exam. The exam then covers appropriate breadth and depth of the course as it was taught. If you mess up on one question, you have several others on which you can make it up; your grade is likely to reflect your understanding of the overall course.

In 2, the professor's class is basically story time. Very little doctrine is taught. The professor uses much of class time to espouse his personal policy views and research interests. The exam is 5 questions of multiple choice (in a three hour period), or a single essay question turning on whether you remembered two or three minor cases in the course.

Both courses count for 4 credits (and over 25%) of your first semester GPA. Is that fair? Will the fact that both courses are curved really be that comforting to you?
Great explanation, thank you! I hated those storytelling teachers in undergrad who made it impossible to decipher between pertinent information & "filler" info - it was a killer, especially when it came time for those blue book exams that spanned an entire semester of material with no review sheets & no organized lecture slides to study from. Just when I thought I was done with those guys... :wink:

Philo38

Bronze

Post by Philo38 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:13 pm

michstudent10 wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:

Great explanation, thank you! I hated those storytelling teachers in undergrad who made it impossible to decipher between pertinent information & "filler" info - it was a killer, especially when it came time for those blue book exams that spanned an entire semester of material with no review sheets & no organized lecture slides to study from. Just when I thought I was done with those guys... :wink:
So are you exagerating or do you know of a final that was actually just 5 multiple choice questions? That's crazy. An entire year and 5 multiple choices?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:17 pm

I was exaggerating about that.

I do know of an exam that was a single question, to be answered in three hours. And the professor openly admitted to grading heavily on style rather than just substance.

But anyways, guys - don't worry about this stuff. You're nine months away from your first law school exam and this type of professor is a tiny minority at UVA. Just know that curve =/= fairness. It's probably one of the least fair things about law school, actually.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:13 pm

Muckduck

Bronze

Post by Muckduck » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:41 pm

YCrevolution wrote:On a completely unrelated note, the Commonwealth's stupid AG sent a letter to Virginia's public universities yesterday (leaked to various media outlets today) warning them that they can't prohibit discrimination based on sexual orienation.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01582.html
Looks like Cuccinelli is just trying to make sure that state policies originate from policymakers, not intermediary bureaucracies. This doesn't suggest at all that he is calling for discrimination.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:02 am

Muckduck wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:On a completely unrelated note, the Commonwealth's stupid AG sent a letter to Virginia's public universities yesterday (leaked to various media outlets today) warning them that they can't prohibit discrimination based on sexual orienation.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01582.html
Looks like Cuccinelli is just trying to make sure that state policies originate from policymakers, not intermediary bureaucracies. This doesn't suggest at all that he is calling for discrimination.
Ending protections for homosexuals is calling for discrimination.

"It is my advice that the law and public policy of the Commonwealth of Virginia prohibit a college or university from including 'sexual orientation,' 'gender identity,' 'gender expression,' or like classification as a protected class within its non-discrimination policy absent specific authorization from the General Assembly"

So give them authorization. Why do they want to rescind protections in the first place? Oh Virginia...I love your state but hate your politics.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”