University of Washingon Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
daesonesb

Bronze

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Post by daesonesb » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:31 am

QueueToo wrote:
daesonesb wrote:You-Dubbers:

Just got off the phone with the guy from financial aid for UWLS, Arlo Hammontree, who is actually really nice (helpful on the phone, sent me a pdf of the scholarship app when I was out of town and trying to submit last minute, etc.)

Anyway, he said that if you check the box stating that you are a WA resident on your admissions app and on the scholarship app, you are considered for in-state scholarships. So: no sweat on rushing the residency forms. As long as those are processed by their own respective deadline (I think it's early sept. or late august, but dont quote me), you will get in state tuition as well.

Breathe easy, friends... and stop harassing the residency office :lol:
That was not the impression I got. I checked WA resident on both but my am not being considered for in-state aid until my residency is sorted out. I need to talk to him again regardless and you are very right; he is indeed a very nice guy and told me my residency was in question in the first place (THANKS MR. HAMMONTREE!).
Well, report back with your conclusions. Until then, I'm putting that form on the back burner. It's finals time here in Canada.

aimhigh09

Bronze

Post by aimhigh09 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:57 pm

OK... sent in my seat deposit today! It's official! :D

seattleguy

New

Post by seattleguy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:42 pm

aimhigh09 wrote:OK... sent in my seat deposit today! It's official! :D
Me too! Are you going to the Admitted Students weekend? If not see you this fall!

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:47 pm

Awesome!

seattleguy

New

Post by seattleguy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:54 pm

Anyone hear anything about financial aid that didn't ask for an expedited app?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

aimhigh09

Bronze

Post by aimhigh09 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:01 pm

seattleguy wrote:
Me too! Are you going to the Admitted Students weekend? If not see you this fall!
No, unfortunately; too hard to get there from DC... but I did manage to visit for the February open house. Hard to believe we'll be law students in just a few months, yikes!

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:15 pm

Ok, I finally broke down and created a UW Law class or 2013 group on facebook. If you want to join, you should be able to find it by searching for University of Washington School of Law - Class of 2013.

aimhigh09

Bronze

Post by aimhigh09 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:18 pm

jcl2 wrote:Ok, I finally broke down and created a UW Law class or 2013 group on facebook. If you want to join, you should be able to find it by searching for University of Washington School of Law - Class of 2013.
I will keep you company there! yay!!!

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:22 pm

seattleguy wrote:Anyone hear anything about financial aid that didn't ask for an expedited app?
Not me, but I did hear from someone who called the general UW financial aid office that professional students who are Washington residents with an EFC under a certain limit ($6000?) will be getting 6-8k tuition waivers again this year.

Apparently those grants were something that was potentially on the chopping block in this latest round of state budget cuts, but they survived. Actually, part of why we haven't heard anything about financial aid could have to do with the legislature not wrapping up their special budget session until a few days ago.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:24 pm

aimhigh09 wrote:
jcl2 wrote:Ok, I finally broke down and created a UW Law class or 2013 group on facebook. If you want to join, you should be able to find it by searching for University of Washington School of Law - Class of 2013.
Wow, I just looked and there are three members already. That was quick.

edit: well I guess one of them is me.

seattleguy

New

Post by seattleguy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:31 pm

jcl2 wrote:
seattleguy wrote:Anyone hear anything about financial aid that didn't ask for an expedited app?
Not me, but I did hear from someone who called the general UW financial aid office that professional students who are Washington residents with an EFC under a certain limit ($6000?) will be getting 6-8k tuition waivers again this year.

Apparently those grants were something that was potentially on the chopping block in this latest round of state budget cuts, but they survived. Actually, part of why we haven't heard anything about financial aid could have to do with the legislature not wrapping up their special budget session until a few days ago.
Glad I submitted a revision request, hopefully that will drop my EFC enough to qualify.

aimhigh09

Bronze

Post by aimhigh09 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:34 pm

jcl2 wrote:
aimhigh09 wrote:

Yeah, and I invited the other one. ;) but now, we're up to 5! I think it's funny the law school hasn't made an official group of its own yet - most of my other schools invited me to their facebook group with my admissions offer. Sign of the times?!

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:44 pm

aimhigh09 wrote:
jcl2 wrote:
aimhigh09 wrote:

Yeah, and I invited the other one. ;) but now, we're up to 5! I think it's funny the law school hasn't made an official group of its own yet - most of my other schools invited me to their facebook group with my admissions offer. Sign of the times?!
That is interesting, the last couple years facebook groups were created by students too. I think I might actually prefer it that way though, its a more authentic means of social networking between students than something managed by the school would be. I think the school does have an official facebook group that is not class specific.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

seattleguy

New

Post by seattleguy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:33 pm

Any thoughts on UW dropping four spots to number 34 in USNWR? (http://abovethelaw.com/2010/04/u-s-news ... k-1-large/)

While it is four spots, it seems like they are still in the same rank-band and the strongest game in the PNW so I'm not worried but curious what other folks' thoughts are?

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:50 pm

seattleguy wrote:Any thoughts on UW dropping four spots to number 34 in USNWR? (http://abovethelaw.com/2010/04/u-s-news ... k-1-large/)

While it is four spots, it seems like they are still in the same rank-band and the strongest game in the PNW so I'm not worried but curious what other folks' thoughts are?
They have the same score as last year, and the seven schools tied at 28 are only 1 point ahead. I think it is completely meaningless. The schools between 19 and about 40 are separated by so few points that tiny changes can result in huge moves in the rankings.

That said, since people do care about meaningless differences in national ranking, I am actually optimistic, based on the Dean Testy's record at SU and the changes in the way admissions seemed to work this year, that the new dean and admissions personnel may have a better idea how to make those tiny changes that can result in positive movement in the rankings. I guess we will see what happens over the next few years.

HerseyChris

Bronze

Post by HerseyChris » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:15 pm

I just joined. Took me a while because TLS isn't sending me email updates apparently.
I initially thought you were J.C. Lundberg, because JCL, but it would appear that the creator is J. Lieb. Weird.
Looking forward to meeting everyone at orientation.

seattleguy

New

Post by seattleguy » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:47 pm

Just finished the first day of Admitted Students weekend. Overall not bad. Nothing that would convince me if I weren't already going to UW and living in Seattle, but nice to tour the building. Seems like most activities of interest are the second day. Dean Testye was neat, really seemed approachable and chatted with students during lunch. Overall seems like a really collegial environment and the weather was gorgeous.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

daesonesb

Bronze

Post by daesonesb » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:41 pm

I went yesterday and had a great time at the happy hour/M's game. It's gonna be an even harder choice now really...

seattleguy

New

Post by seattleguy » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:40 pm

Second day of Admitted Students weekend was really good. They continued the collegial theme but expanded it to show how that extends to the local legal community. The Mock class on Property was excellent, really well done and got me excited to be going to law school. Of the information shared, I thought they did well explaining some of the options for 1L's to do work outside the classroom. In contrast to yesterday's gorgeous weather, the Seattle grey came out. Overall really well done and I heard a number of people who weren't committed say they knew where they would be this fall. Now to get myself a sweet UW Law sweater... (written on iPhone so excuse the typos)

HerseyChris

Bronze

Post by HerseyChris » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:51 pm

seattleguy wrote:Second day of Admitted Students weekend was really good. They continued the collegial theme but expanded it to show how that extends to the local legal community. The Mock class on Property was excellent, really well done and got me excited to be going to law school. Of the information shared, I thought they did well explaining some of the options for 1L's to do work outside the classroom. In contrast to yesterday's gorgeous weather, the Seattle grey came out. Overall really well done and I heard a number of people who weren't committed say they knew where they would be this fall. Now to get myself a sweet UW Law sweater... (written on iPhone so excuse the typos)
Nice to hear. Yeah I have to stop by and get a bunch of UW Law gear (sweatshirt, t-shirt, cup, coffee mug, car decal, am I forgetting something?).

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:38 pm

HerseyChris wrote:
I just joined. Took me a while because TLS isn't sending me email updates apparently.
I initially thought you were J.C. Lundberg, because JCL, but it would appear that the creator is J. Lieb. Weird.
Looking forward to meeting everyone at orientation.
Yeah, my middle initial is C. Apparently there will be at least two JCLs in our class :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:42 pm

seattleguy wrote:Second day of Admitted Students weekend was really good. They continued the collegial theme but expanded it to show how that extends to the local legal community. The Mock class on Property was excellent, really well done and got me excited to be going to law school. Of the information shared, I thought they did well explaining some of the options for 1L's to do work outside the classroom. In contrast to yesterday's gorgeous weather, the Seattle grey came out. Overall really well done and I heard a number of people who weren't committed say they knew where they would be this fall. Now to get myself a sweet UW Law sweater... (written on iPhone so excuse the typos)
Good to hear. Where can you get a UW Law sweatshirt? I wouldn't mind getting one of those, or maybe a car window decal.

QueueToo

New

Post by QueueToo » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:06 pm

jcl2 wrote:Good to hear. Where can you get a UW Law sweatshirt? I wouldn't mind getting one of those, or maybe a car window decal.
http://www.law.washington.edu/SBA/merch.aspx

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:19 pm

jcl2 wrote:

Does anyone know more about this?

JIsaacSmith

New

Post by JIsaacSmith » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:59 pm

jcl2 wrote:
seattleguy wrote:Any thoughts on UW dropping four spots to number 34 in USNWR? (http://abovethelaw.com/2010/04/u-s-news ... k-1-large/)

They have the same score as last year, and the seven schools tied at 28 are only 1 point ahead. I think it is completely meaningless. The schools between 19 and about 40 are separated by so few points that tiny changes can result in huge moves in the rankings.

That said, since people do care about meaningless differences in national ranking, I am actually optimistic, based on the Dean Testy's record at SU and the changes in the way admissions seemed to work this year, that the new dean and admissions personnel may have a better idea how to make those tiny changes that can result in positive movement in the rankings. I guess we will see what happens over the next few years.
These ranking really shouldn't matter. I compared UW to Wash U in St. Louis, and UW was definitely favored based on the statistics. Although Wash U may be "#19" overall, it is clear that the statistics don't necessarily back that up.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”