University of Washingon Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
seattleguy

New

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Post by seattleguy » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:14 pm

Not sure if I should post this here or in the U Washington thread, but decided I'd post in both.

I called the Financial Aid Coordinator at UW Law today to ask a few questions about how aid works. LSN only shows one person with any sort of aid on their profile for the past couple years, and I've read a few times on different threads that UW doesn't really do any scholarships. Here is the low-down as far as what the Financial Aid Coordinator said (i.e. maybe take it with a grain of salt):

-While some aid is need based, they do have merit based aid that is not the Gates Public Service Scholars program.
-Some aid is a combination of merit/need
-There are over 70 scholarship funds at UW and you are automatically considered for them with your application and FAFSA
-There is tuition exemption money available.
-If you think your EFC is too high, fill out a 2010-2011 Revision Request which gets filed with the main Financial Aid office, and they might be able to reduce your EFC and thus, make you eligible for more need based aid.
-UW does not give Perkins Loans to its Law school students, Stafford or Graduate PLUS loans are the main ones.
-It's still early in their process, but he thinks they should be putting packages together and sending them out by mid-March.

Hope that helps some folks, let me know if you know anything else.

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:18 pm

seattleguy wrote:Not sure if I should post this here or in the U Washington thread, but decided I'd post in both.

I called the Financial Aid Coordinator at UW Law today to ask a few questions about how aid works. LSN only shows one person with any sort of aid on their profile for the past couple years, and I've read a few times on different threads that UW doesn't really do any scholarships. Here is the low-down as far as what the Financial Aid Coordinator said (i.e. maybe take it with a grain of salt):

-While some aid is need based, they do have merit based aid that is not the Gates Public Service Scholars program.
-Some aid is a combination of merit/need
-There are over 70 scholarship funds at UW and you are automatically considered for them with your application and FAFSA
-There is tuition exemption money available.
-If you think your EFC is too high, fill out a 2010-2011 Revision Request which gets filed with the main Financial Aid office, and they might be able to reduce your EFC and thus, make you eligible for more need based aid.
-UW does not give Perkins Loans to its Law school students, Stafford or Graduate PLUS loans are the main ones.
-It's still early in their process, but he thinks they should be putting packages together and sending them out by mid-March.

Hope that helps some folks, let me know if you know anything else.
Thanks. I wonder if I will be reconsidered for scholarships given that I differed? Probably not, but at least my EFC is much lower this year now that I have a baby, so maybe I'll qualify for the need based tuition exemption that I heard in-state students with low EFC are eligible for.

By the way, congrats on your acceptance! Do you thing you will be headed to UW in the fall?

seattleguy

New

Post by seattleguy » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:24 pm

jcl2 wrote: Thanks. I wonder if I will be reconsidered for scholarships given that I differed? Probably not, but at least my EFC is much lower this year now that I have a baby, so maybe I'll qualify for the need based tuition exemption that I heard in-state students with low EFC are eligible for.

By the way, congrats on your acceptance! Do you thing you will be headed to UW in the fall?
Seems like they would reconsider based on the new year and new FAFSA.

And ya, I'm 90% sure Ill end up at UW, wouldn't mind hearing about money though before I commit.

seattleguy

New

Post by seattleguy » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:44 pm

Just got my first rejection of the cycle from Duke (expected) and waitlisted at Boston University. At this point, Cardozo, William and Mary, and Washington U. in St. Louis are the only ones I haven't heard from and I really don't think I'd go to any of the three vs. UW so I'm seriously considering sending in my deposit. Anyone else send theirs already?

On another note, as my name suggests, I live in Seattle and have for 6 years and would be happy to answer questions about neighborhoods, restaurants, local life if anyone wants.

yours

New

Re: University of Washington Class of 2013

Post by yours » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:47 pm

aimhigh09 wrote:ASW is April 16-17
who's going to this?
give me a full report. i am going to have to miss it.
i just got my measles vaccination and filled out my scholarship application. i'll be sending in that deposit soon.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jcl2

Bronze

Re: University of Washington Class of 2013

Post by jcl2 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:26 pm

yours wrote:
aimhigh09 wrote:ASW is April 16-17
who's going to this?
give me a full report. i am going to have to miss it.
i just got my measles vaccination and filled out my scholarship application. i'll be sending in that deposit soon.
I went last year, so I don't think it would be worth it to make the trip again, but I would like to hear how it goes as well.

yours

New

Post by yours » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:52 pm

I've always wanted to do most of those, especially softball
lets do it!

How many people in here live in or have lived in Seattle?
i have lived in seattle for 4 yrs.

rachery

New

Post by rachery » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:25 pm

Has anyone asked about a travel stipend for the ASW or if any hotels are giving discounts or anything?

HerseyChris

Bronze

Post by HerseyChris » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:28 pm

I can finally post in this thread (without feeling apprehensive)! I hope to see as many of you as possible April 16th and 17th. And then obviously subsequently in September.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:50 am

HerseyChris wrote:I can finally post in this thread (without feeling apprehensive)! I hope to see as many of you as possible April 16th and 17th. And then obviously subsequently in September.
So intramural flag football in the fall right? And maybe some basketball in the winter. They have separate leagues for grad students and faculty, which I think is pretty cool.

HerseyChris

Bronze

Post by HerseyChris » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:07 pm

jcl2 wrote:
HerseyChris wrote:I can finally post in this thread (without feeling apprehensive)! I hope to see as many of you as possible April 16th and 17th. And then obviously subsequently in September.
So intramural flag football in the fall right? And maybe some basketball in the winter. They have separate leagues for grad students and faculty, which I think is pretty cool.
Definitely!

aimhigh09

Bronze

Post by aimhigh09 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:37 pm

A post in the other UW thread got me thinking... how many of you are considering looking to buy instead of rent for housing?

aimhigh09

Bronze

Post by aimhigh09 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:38 pm

Also, a little part of me wishes UW had a Class of 2013 Facebook group, just so I could join. That would make it feel "official". :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:44 pm

aimhigh09 wrote:A post in the other UW thread got me thinking... how many of you are considering looking to buy instead of rent for housing?
My wife and I were thinking about it, but decided that it would be best to give ourselves some flexibility for me to start my career and for her to possibly start a PhD program somewhere other than Seattle after law school if necessary, even though the goal is to stay in Seattle at this point. I'm not quite comfortable buying when I might have to sell in three years, plus it looks like we would miss out on the tax credit and hopefully our income after I'm done with school will put us in a position where we will have more options anyway.

HerseyChris

Bronze

Post by HerseyChris » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:44 pm

aimhigh09 wrote:Also, a little part of me wishes UW had a Class of 2013 Facebook group, just so I could join. That would make it feel "official". :)
Aimhigh, I'm assuming you chose UW over Colorado then? Or are you still mulling it over?

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:44 pm

aimhigh09 wrote:Also, a little part of me wishes UW had a Class of 2013 Facebook group, just so I could join. That would make it feel "official". :)
If you start one I will join.

aimhigh09

Bronze

Post by aimhigh09 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:37 pm

HerseyChris wrote:
Aimhigh, I'm assuming you chose UW over Colorado then? Or are you still mulling it over?
I've pretty much decided on UW, but there is always the chance CU will come through with some $ in the clutch... or Michigan will offer me a spot off the wait list... so I'm just doing a little extra mulling for the time being. :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

seattleguy

New

Post by seattleguy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:47 pm

Well I'm official, sent deposit today. See everyone at the admitted students weekend. Anyone going to the Mariners game that Friday night?

HerseyChris

Bronze

Post by HerseyChris » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:53 pm

seattleguy wrote:Well I'm official, sent deposit today. See everyone at the admitted students weekend. Anyone going to the Mariners game that Friday night?
Edit: Probably. It's the 11th (not the 15th, Spring Training goes on forever this year apparently), so it SHOULD be Felix vs. Verlander. I have to buy a Hanahan shirt anyways, so I should stop by Safeco at some point.

tfour

New

Post by tfour » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:55 pm

I'm going out of town for two weeks on Sunday, so I'll unfortunately miss ASW, but I'll see you all in September! So excited. :D

Me-a Culpa

Bronze

Post by Me-a Culpa » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:04 pm

Nice!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TheCheerfulPessimist

New

Post by TheCheerfulPessimist » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:57 am

Hello!

Long-time lurker on TLS here.

I'm 90% certain I'll be attending UW this fall. Super excited! Downside: Weather makes me want to /killself x 1000. That's right, over and over and over again. But other than that, UW is my first choice. (Apart from the mythical T14.)

I won't be able to attend the ASD (ASW?), because I'll be out of the country. Can't wait to hear how it goes, though. :D Have fun!

-Cheer

P.S. Someone might have asked/answered this already, but when are you guys planning on moving nearby? (If you aren't nearby already.) I was thinking August, but I'm wondering if all the good U-district apartments will be taken by undergrads by then.

TheCheerfulPessimist

New

Post by TheCheerfulPessimist » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:59 am

P.P.S. This is a new ALT so I can protect my identity, if possible. 8)

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:52 am

TheCheerfulPessimist wrote:P.P.S. This is a new ALT so I can protect my identity, if possible. 8)
Wait, so are you a long time lurker or a regular poster with a new alt? I'm confused.

Anyway, congrats on UW. To answer your previous question, I will be moving to Seattle as soon as my wife finds a job there, obviously late August or early September at the latest, but hopefully sooner.

BTW, have you lived in Seattle before? I personally don't think the weather is that bad, the winters are a little gray, but pretty mild, and the summers are gorgeous and it almost never rains July-September.

seattleguy

New

Post by seattleguy » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:50 am

jcl2 wrote:
TheCheerfulPessimist wrote:P.P.S. This is a new ALT so I can protect my identity, if possible. 8)
Wait, so are you a long time lurker or a regular poster with a new alt? I'm confused.

Anyway, congrats on UW. To answer your previous question, I will be moving to Seattle as soon as my wife finds a job there, obviously late August or early September at the latest, but hopefully sooner.

BTW, have you lived in Seattle before? I personally don't think the weather is that bad, the winters are a little gray, but pretty mild, and the summers are gorgeous and it almost never rains July-September.
For real about the weather, we just foster our rainy reputation so we dont get too many people trying to move up here and jack up our rent.

As far as when to move in, I'd suggest that if you can by August its better, because most students will be back and have signed leases by September. In August though its early enough that you'll have the pick of places in the UD.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”