University of Washingon Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
jcl2
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:27 pm

University of Washingon Class of 2013

Postby jcl2 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:21 pm

Anyone else defer? I realize there probably won't be much activity on here until January, but I am already excited for next fall. And yes, I did also start the University of Washington class of 2012 thread, but this time it is for real.

kri
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Postby kri » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:22 am

in. its my first choice. waiting on harvard, columbia, nyu and chicgao

aimhigh09
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:43 am

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Postby aimhigh09 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:01 am

I'm not 100% for sure yet, but definitely a strong possibility. Still waiting on a few higher-ranked schools, but I don't know that I'd pick them over UW.

Is anyone going to the open house on 2/26? It was mentioned in my offer letter, but I can't find any more info on it on their website.

User avatar
jcl2
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:27 pm

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Postby jcl2 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:31 pm

kri wrote:in. its my first choice. waiting on harvard, columbia, nyu and chicgao


Congrats! I'm assuming you would at least take Harvard over UW though?

HerseyChris
Posts: 315
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:30 pm

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Postby HerseyChris » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:34 pm

aimhigh09 wrote:I'm not 100% for sure yet, but definitely a strong possibility. Still waiting on a few higher-ranked schools, but I don't know that I'd pick them over UW.

Is anyone going to the open house on 2/26? It was mentioned in my offer letter, but I can't find any more info on it on their website.


If I'm lucky enough to get in before then, I will definitely go to the open house. What time is it at (wondering if I'd have to leave work early or sit in traffic)?

User avatar
jcl2
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:27 pm

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Postby jcl2 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:41 pm

I just sent my seat deposit this morning, so it is official now.

I haven't heard anything about an open house on the 26th. They obviously don't need to do anything to convince me to go to UW and I already went to the admitted students event last year, but it would be nice to meet some of my future classmates, and I have the day off work, so I might go.

Neelio
Posts: 530
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:21 am

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Postby Neelio » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:43 pm

I want to be an official member of this thread... come on UW! Move me out of "ready to review"! also, for all you admits, how long did you stay "in review" before you got your answer? Thanks in advance.

aimhigh09
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:43 am

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Postby aimhigh09 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:02 pm

HerseyChris wrote:
aimhigh09 wrote:I'm not 100% for sure yet, but definitely a strong possibility. Still waiting on a few higher-ranked schools, but I don't know that I'd pick them over UW.

Is anyone going to the open house on 2/26? It was mentioned in my offer letter, but I can't find any more info on it on their website.


If I'm lucky enough to get in before then, I will definitely go to the open house. What time is it at (wondering if I'd have to leave work early or sit in traffic)?


I have no idea what time, they mention it in the letter but don't offer any other details. IIRC, ASW is April 16-17, but that's getting pretty late for me as seat deposits are due at many schools by April 16. Maybe I'll send them an email to see if I can get any more info on the open house. I was hoping to sit in on a class, but it looks like that Friday 2/26 is going to be the only day I have open to visit and there aren't any classes listed on their website for visiting on that day of the week.

User avatar
jcl2
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:27 pm

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Postby jcl2 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:12 pm

aimhigh09 wrote:
HerseyChris wrote:
aimhigh09 wrote:I'm not 100% for sure yet, but definitely a strong possibility. Still waiting on a few higher-ranked schools, but I don't know that I'd pick them over UW.

Is anyone going to the open house on 2/26? It was mentioned in my offer letter, but I can't find any more info on it on their website.


If I'm lucky enough to get in before then, I will definitely go to the open house. What time is it at (wondering if I'd have to leave work early or sit in traffic)?


I have no idea what time, they mention it in the letter but don't offer any other details. IIRC, ASW is April 16-17, but that's getting pretty late for me as seat deposits are due at many schools by April 16. Maybe I'll send them an email to see if I can get any more info on the open house. I was hoping to sit in on a class, but it looks like that Friday 2/26 is going to be the only day I have open to visit and there aren't any classes listed on their website for visiting on that day of the week.


There aren't any 1L classes on Fridays I don't think, but I bet they would let you sit in on an upper level class if you want to. Just call the admissions office, I'm sure they can set something up for you.

aimhigh09
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:43 am

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Postby aimhigh09 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:16 pm

jcl2 wrote:
There aren't any 1L classes on Fridays I don't think, but I bet they would let you sit in on an upper level class if you want to. Just call the admissions office, I'm sure they can set something up for you.


Great, thanks for the info! And congrats on submitting your seat deposit... that must feel good. :) Hope to meet you at the open house if it works out!

User avatar
jcl2
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:27 pm

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Postby jcl2 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:29 pm

Thanks! It does feel great. I have know that I would be starting law school Fall 2010 for 7 months or so, but it definitely feels much more real now. I'm really excited.

kri
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Postby kri » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:06 pm

jcl2 wrote:
kri wrote:in. its my first choice. waiting on harvard, columbia, nyu and chicgao


Congrats! I'm assuming you would at least take Harvard over UW though?


meh, I probably won't get in, I still haven't heard back from anyone else, so theyre probably just waiting to reject me lol.
No, I really don't plan to go anywhere else, went to undergrad here, my girlfriend is here, just really don't want to lose that part of my life haha. I guess I'm not as caught up in the whole prestige aspect of it all. It's really just a part of life, not the reason for my existence, if you know what I mean. (That isn't directed at anyone in this thread, btw). You all seem like you have your heads on straight, another good reason to go here.
Anyone interested in a flag football team? (In the UW rec sports graduate league)

HerseyChris
Posts: 315
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:30 pm

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Postby HerseyChris » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:32 pm

kri wrote:
jcl2 wrote:
kri wrote:in. its my first choice. waiting on harvard, columbia, nyu and chicgao


Congrats! I'm assuming you would at least take Harvard over UW though?


meh, I probably won't get in, I still haven't heard back from anyone else, so theyre probably just waiting to reject me lol.
No, I really don't plan to go anywhere else, went to undergrad here, my girlfriend is here, just really don't want to lose that part of my life haha. I guess I'm not as caught up in the whole prestige aspect of it all. It's really just a part of life, not the reason for my existence, if you know what I mean. (That isn't directed at anyone in this thread, btw). You all seem like you have your heads on straight, another good reason to go here.
Anyone interested in a flag football team? (In the UW rec sports graduate league)


I haven't been accepted (still in review), but if I get in, I'm definitely interested in flag football. I play every other Saturday with some random friends at noon at Garfield. I'd probably be interested in any other sport as well (basketball, volleyball, ultimate, softball, etc.)

kri
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Postby kri » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:40 pm

HerseyChris wrote:
kri wrote:
jcl2 wrote:
kri wrote:in. its my first choice. waiting on harvard, columbia, nyu and chicgao


Congrats! I'm assuming you would at least take Harvard over UW though?


meh, I probably won't get in, I still haven't heard back from anyone else, so theyre probably just waiting to reject me lol.
No, I really don't plan to go anywhere else, went to undergrad here, my girlfriend is here, just really don't want to lose that part of my life haha. I guess I'm not as caught up in the whole prestige aspect of it all. It's really just a part of life, not the reason for my existence, if you know what I mean. (That isn't directed at anyone in this thread, btw). You all seem like you have your heads on straight, another good reason to go here.
Anyone interested in a flag football team? (In the UW rec sports graduate league)


I haven't been accepted (still in review), but if I get in, I'm definitely interested in flag football. I play every other Saturday with some random friends at noon at Garfield. I'd probably be interested in any other sport as well (basketball, volleyball, ultimate, softball, etc.)

I've always wanted to do most of those, especially softball lol, never had enough people though. Playing volleyball currently.
Garfield HS?
How many people in here live in or have lived in Seattle?

User avatar
jcl2
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:27 pm

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Postby jcl2 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:31 pm

kri wrote:
HerseyChris wrote:
kri wrote:
jcl2 wrote:
Congrats! I'm assuming you would at least take Harvard over UW though?


meh, I probably won't get in, I still haven't heard back from anyone else, so theyre probably just waiting to reject me lol.
No, I really don't plan to go anywhere else, went to undergrad here, my girlfriend is here, just really don't want to lose that part of my life haha. I guess I'm not as caught up in the whole prestige aspect of it all. It's really just a part of life, not the reason for my existence, if you know what I mean. (That isn't directed at anyone in this thread, btw). You all seem like you have your heads on straight, another good reason to go here.
Anyone interested in a flag football team? (In the UW rec sports graduate league)


I haven't been accepted (still in review), but if I get in, I'm definitely interested in flag football. I play every other Saturday with some random friends at noon at Garfield. I'd probably be interested in any other sport as well (basketball, volleyball, ultimate, softball, etc.)

I've always wanted to do most of those, especially softball lol, never had enough people though. Playing volleyball currently.
Garfield HS?
How many people in here live in or have lived in Seattle?


Definitely would be up for playing flag football, and most other sports too. I don't currently live in Seattle, but will be moving as soon as my wife finds a job over there. Hopefully soon rather than in August. If anyone has any connections in the environmental/natural resources consulting field in Seattle please let me know.

User avatar
reebtoor
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:14 pm

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Postby reebtoor » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:03 am

Did acceptances come via snail mail?

User avatar
ccs224
Posts: 465
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Postby ccs224 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:20 am

reebtoor wrote:Did acceptances come via snail mail?


Yes.

Skorg
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:07 pm

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Postby Skorg » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:15 pm

Last year's acceptance letters came in small envelopes, so don't worry when you open your mailbox.

Also, UW 1Ls do have some classes on Fridays. It is actually the 2 and 3Ls who usually don't have classes. (I go to UW Law).

User avatar
pubintrst
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:00 pm

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Postby pubintrst » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:42 pm

I'm a 1L here at UW. I'd be happy to answer questions about the school, curriculum, etc. Though I'm sure this will become more relevant in a month or two when people are weighing their decisions.

@aimhigh most/all 1L's have a legal writing and research class on Friday mornings. It's not really the best class to sit in on however, as it is a legal skills course rather than one of the substantive courses (Civ Pro, Torts, Property, etc.). I believe my section is the only one which has substantive law classes on Fridays (we arranged for our prof to move our Monday class so that we'd have a day off). If you are visiting on 2/26 ask admissions if you can get hooked up with someone in Prof Townsend's class. It will be a contracts class.

Good luck with the decision making.

aimhigh09
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:43 am

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Postby aimhigh09 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:31 pm

pubintrst wrote:I'm a 1L here at UW. I'd be happy to answer questions about the school, curriculum, etc. Though I'm sure this will become more relevant in a month or two when people are weighing their decisions.

@aimhigh most/all 1L's have a legal writing and research class on Friday mornings. It's not really the best class to sit in on however, as it is a legal skills course rather than one of the substantive courses (Civ Pro, Torts, Property, etc.). I believe my section is the only one which has substantive law classes on Fridays (we arranged for our prof to move our Monday class so that we'd have a day off). If you are visiting on 2/26 ask admissions if you can get hooked up with someone in Prof Townsend's class. It will be a contracts class.

Good luck with the decision making.


Thanks for the info!

Can you tell me what time that Friday contracts class is held? I'm still trying to figure out my schedule for the day and what time I'm going to drive up from Tacoma area.

I was originally planning to visit L&C on Thursday and UW on Friday, but I could also switch it around if Thursday is a better day to visit UW... I still don't see any info on the "open house" on 2/26 that is mentioned in the admissions letter, so I'm wondering if there are any special activities planned for prospective students or if it isn't worth going out of my way to be there Friday.

User avatar
jcl2
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:27 pm

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Postby jcl2 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:04 pm

I recently got an email from the residency classification office informing me that my application does not automatically qualify me as a resident for educational purposes. This seems crazy given that I did not submit a new application this year, and last year they considered me a resident. Also, I have lived here for 12 years, so I'm not sure what made them think that I might not be a resident. Has anyone who applied this year and thought they were obviously a resident gotten something like this? Maybe they are just checking more people. I sent them everything that was requested, but I'm hoping the 4-6 week review process won't effect my chances at any need based aid.

aimhigh09
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:43 am

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Postby aimhigh09 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:24 pm

Anyone else going to the Admitted Students Open House next Friday 2/26?

I emailed to ask about visiting that afternoon and got a message back with info about the evening's open house program, which includes a Q&A with current sudents and the final round of the Falknor moot court competition... since I was already planning to visit that day, I guess I will be going!

User avatar
jcl2
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:27 pm

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Postby jcl2 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:53 pm

aimhigh09 wrote:Anyone else going to the Admitted Students Open House next Friday 2/26?

I emailed to ask about visiting that afternoon and got a message back with info about the evening's open house program, which includes a Q&A with current sudents and the final round of the Falknor moot court competition... since I was already planning to visit that day, I guess I will be going!


I have other obligations that weekend so I wont be going. Have fun and let us know how it goes. Where are you traveling from?

aimhigh09
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:43 am

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Postby aimhigh09 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:01 pm

jcl2 wrote:
aimhigh09 wrote:Anyone else going to the Admitted Students Open House next Friday 2/26?

I emailed to ask about visiting that afternoon and got a message back with info about the evening's open house program, which includes a Q&A with current sudents and the final round of the Falknor moot court competition... since I was already planning to visit that day, I guess I will be going!


I have other obligations that weekend so I wont be going. Have fun and let us know how it goes. Where are you traveling from?


Washington, DC. Stopping for a visit to Boulder on the way. I grew up in Tacoma and my folks still live there, though, so it's really just an excuse to visit home for me. :)

User avatar
jcl2
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:27 pm

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Postby jcl2 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:34 pm

aimhigh09 wrote:
jcl2 wrote:
aimhigh09 wrote:Anyone else going to the Admitted Students Open House next Friday 2/26?

I emailed to ask about visiting that afternoon and got a message back with info about the evening's open house program, which includes a Q&A with current sudents and the final round of the Falknor moot court competition... since I was already planning to visit that day, I guess I will be going!


I have other obligations that weekend so I wont be going. Have fun and let us know how it goes. Where are you traveling from?


Washington, DC. Stopping for a visit to Boulder on the way. I grew up in Tacoma and my folks still live there, though, so it's really just an excuse to visit home for me. :)

Cool, I was actually considering CU last year and visited before I found out that I got into UW. I don't know if you have been there, but the CU campus is beautiful and Boulder is a neat town, make sure to make time for a hike in the park to the west of town if the weather is half way decent, it is pretty awesome.




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest