Berkeley Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
sirchristaylor

Re: Berkeley Class of 2013

Postby sirchristaylor » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:38 am

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:17 pm

To any current Berkeley students:

For those of you living in campus-affiliated housing, when were you allowed to move in?

I would like to have 10-14 days before class starts to get myself settled in. I was getting ready to make plans to be in Berkeley around August 1st when I realized I am not sure if I would be allowed to move in then (assuming I end up living somewhere like Manville).

Any and all insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:31 pm

Sent in my matching scholarship essay and scholarship interest form. Here's to hoping (especially for the match).

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:40 pm

scholarship interest form

?

I knew you could apply for matches, but you can also just express interest in a scholarship? weird

sirchristaylor

Postby sirchristaylor » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:58 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:
scholarship interest form

?

I knew you could apply for matches, but you can also just express interest in a scholarship? weird

I believe everyone is considered for scholarships, but you have the opportunity to supplement your application with an essay. It seems like it's geared for those who would add diversity, are a single parent or a former Cal athlete, or who didn't provide as much info in their applications on how great they are. Personally, I've told them everything and then some, so I don't know if I should submit an extra essay telling them again.

gymboree

Postby gymboree » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:14 pm

I figured they have enough on me already - just clicked submit.

iamthewalrus

Postby iamthewalrus » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:04 am

I sent a brief note about diversity. I've never liked writing those essays. It's hard work implying one is the shiznizzle while remaining humble enough to not sound like a douche.

heyyitskatie

Postby heyyitskatie » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:52 pm

Base loan amount for first years: $46,500. I know Berkeley has to do what it has to do, but that still put a knot in my stomach (and yes, I'm filling out the Need Access the day before it's due).

An almost too late reminder, but given that I almost forgot, remember to fill out your financial aid forms, everyone!!!

sirchristaylor

Postby sirchristaylor » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:54 pm

heyyitskatie wrote:Base loan amount for first years: $46,500. I know Berkeley has to do what it has to do, but that still put a knot in my stomach (and yes, I'm filling out the Need Access the day before it's due).

An almost too late reminder, but given that I almost forgot, remember to fill out your financial aid forms, everyone!!!

Yes, and start early. Need Access is a bitch to fill out.

hellogoodbye1

Postby hellogoodbye1 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:25 pm

Finally got my acceptance package in the mail this weekend. Sooooo excited to be able to post in this thread :) !

I already filled out my FAFSA and Need Access.. does anyone know if I need to send in my tax returns or any additional documents?

P.s. i love Berkeley!!

gymboree

Postby gymboree » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:39 pm

hellogoodbye1 wrote:Finally got my acceptance package in the mail this weekend. Sooooo excited to be able to post in this thread :) !

I already filled out my FAFSA and Need Access.. does anyone know if I need to send in my tax returns or any additional documents?

P.s. i love Berkeley!!

Congrats!!!

sirchristaylor

Postby sirchristaylor » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:40 pm

hellogoodbye1 wrote:Finally got my acceptance package in the mail this weekend. Sooooo excited to be able to post in this thread :) !

P.s. i love Berkeley!!

Need Access has a line somewhere that asks you to tell them on which date you sent/would send a copy of your tax returns. So, I took that as a request for them and sent mine in. I think it's required.

daviddel03

Postby daviddel03 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:09 pm

i just called need access and they said they dont require you to send the tax returns. Then I called berkeley and they dont require it either.

sirchristaylor

Postby sirchristaylor » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:00 pm

daviddel03 wrote:i just called need access and they said they dont require you to send the tax returns. Then I called berkeley and they dont require it either.

Well, good to know. I suppose I should have called before sending them in.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:55 am

sirchristaylor wrote:

P.s. i love Berkeley!!

Need Access has a line somewhere that asks you to tell them on which date you sent/would send a copy of your tax returns. So, I took that as a request for them and sent mine in. I think it's required.

They're asking about when you sent it or would send it to the IRS.

manu4ever882001

Postby manu4ever882001 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:49 pm

Last edited by manu4ever882001 on Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iamthewalrus

Postby iamthewalrus » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:43 am

manu4ever882001 wrote:Any idea when we'll hear back about financial aid/grants/scholarships? Just withdrew all my other apps and committed to Berkeley :mrgreen:

If I remember correctly, people last year were able to see that information online after April 1.

How did it feel to withdraw the rest of your applications?? I have hesitated a bit even though Berkeley has always been my top choice. Maybe I've become addicted to the uncertainty and anxiety of the process :P

elenatokyo

Postby elenatokyo » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:52 pm

Hi everyone!

Congratulations to those who got admitted to Boalt this year! It's a great place to be and you are going to love it.

I am a 2L at Boalt and will be looking for a roommate for the next year.

About the apartment:
- it is huge, 1830 sq.f., two bedrooms, two full bathrooms - one of them will be yours
- washer/dryer in the unit (!!!) - you can't find that anywhere else in Berkeley!
- brand new kitchen with a huge fridge, microwave, dishwasher, garbage disposal and oven (in case you are ambitious enough to plan on cooking during the school year :wink: )
- huge windows so the whole place is very light throughout the day
- built-in large closets
- very high ceilings
- GYM downstairs (great brand new equipment, treadmills have TV screens built in!)
- great design of the building itself (it used to be a factory before they refurbished it)
- RENT: 1,000 (including water, garbage, sewer, high-speed internet and cable - electricity bill will be split, but I ma guessing it would not be more than $20 a month), free gated parking.
- location: Adeline and 45th St. Emeryville - 25 min bus ride to Boalt Hall by F. The bus stop is around the corner. F also goes to SF (about 25 min to the Financial District). McArthur BART is 10 min walk. There is also free shuttle to McArthur BART, IKEA, Best Buy, Office Depot, and Bay Street stores and the movie theater (10 min ride). Oh, and F runs until pretty late so you will be able to stay out for bar reviews all you want :D
FYI: bus pass is included in the tuition so it is virtually free; F is one of the buses that will not be discontinued this March (budget cuts :evil: ).
- the area is up and coming, very quiet but close to everything. I love it!

BONUS:
You will get 24/7 access to the invaluable experience of a 2L! As well as outlines, exam tips, books, etc.

I know that a lot of people are coming to Berkeley for the admissions day - so you can take a look at the apartment then if you are interested. Let me know - lsatonsale @ gmail.com

Cheers,
Elena

daviddel03

Postby daviddel03 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:37 pm

does everyone know where they'll be staying for ASW? I'm staying at La Quinta, which is nearby campus. Do any of you know if renting a car is necessary/a good idea, or do you think public transportation is enough?

Thanks

Danneskjöld

Postby Danneskjöld » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:41 pm

You won't need a car in Berkeley, especially for asw. You can walk anywhere you need to go around the campus; buses can take you anywhere in Berkeley (free for students); and BART (+ taxi) will take you wherever you need to go in SF.

frankjones

Postby frankjones » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:00 pm

Does anyone know how generous Boalt has been with financial aid in the past? Or does anyone care to speculate how generous they'll be this year, given the tuition increase? I would be particularly thrilled if anyone had insight into the way in which they typically decide to distribute funds (numbers-based, softs, or what).
I read in their online viewbook that 89% of students receive some aid. Although I hope not, I'm assuming that figure includes loans. Any insight?

Danneskjöld

Postby Danneskjöld » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:08 pm

frankjones wrote:Does anyone know how generous Boalt has been with financial aid in the past? Or does anyone care to speculate how generous they'll be this year, given the tuition increase? I would be particularly thrilled if anyone had insight into the way in which they typically decide to distribute funds (numbers-based, softs, or what).
I read in their online viewbook that 89% of students receive some aid. Although I hope not, I'm assuming that figure includes loans. Any insight?

With high numbers, there's the matching program: http://www.law.berkeley.edu/6957.htm

Also, FYI: The higher tuition goes to pay for LRAP, which is something often left out of the criticisms. In essence, the kids who go to biglaw firms subsidize the kids who go into public interest work through higher tuitions. It's actually somewhat more efficient that way (as opposed to just charging everyone lower tuition across the board). But, it does suck for those graduating with high loan #s to have to think about their money going to fund LRAP--but ultimately, they would likely have had to pay that much anyway for a top school that gave them good chances at biglaw. LRAP + IBR = Tuition is Much ado about nothing. Plus, if you have the numbers to have a scholly from another T14, then you can get it matched. If you don't, then you're likely lucky to have a spot open to you at Berkeley at any price, so deal...

frankjones

Postby frankjones » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:27 pm

Thanks.
But what constitutes "high numbers?" I'm barely above both 75th percentiles at Berkeley. Will my only substantial shot at a scholarship come from getting one from another school matched? Or is it common for Berkeley to make offers of their own?

Danneskjöld

Postby Danneskjöld » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:32 pm

frankjones wrote:Thanks.
But what constitutes "high numbers?" I'm barely above both 75th percentiles at Berkeley. Will my only substantial shot at a scholarship come from getting one from another school matched? Or is it common for Berkeley to make offers of their own?

I don't think they care about numbers qua numbers. They primarily seem to care about losing cross-admits over money, which is why they offer matching. From LSN it looks like most of the people who get offers from Berkeley are URMs.

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:52 am

frankjones wrote:Does anyone know how generous Boalt has been with financial aid in the past? Or does anyone care to speculate how generous they'll be this year, given the tuition increase? I would be particularly thrilled if anyone had insight into the way in which they typically decide to distribute funds (numbers-based, softs, or what).
As a public school, the primary focus has been on need based aid. Everyone can submit a match request, but it doesn't mean they all get approved. I only know of a couple who got matched (granted, I don't ask; and generally it's something everyone keeps to themselves).

Yes, because Berkeley is a direct-loan institution, that 90% number includes loans.

In addition to the increased LRAP that a previous poster already mentioned (and I +1 his sentiment that it's something that is getting overlooked by all the "tuition increase" gloom-and-doomers), I know that the financial aid folks have decided to fund a fair amout to a matching program through the Veterans Administration that they didn't do this year. So, yes, there is at least one data point indicating that they are putting our money where their mouths are with respect to half of the tuition increase going to expand finaid.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”