Berkeley Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
bilbobaggins

Re: Berkeley Class of 2013

Postby bilbobaggins » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:27 pm

There is a mark up at the bookstore, especially if you want used books. People I know spent like $200 second semester instead of like $800

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:35 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Hmm, so there is a pretty hefty markup for books at the Berkeley bookstore?

I've got one of those Amazon Prime accounts (highly recommended), which means free 2-day shipping and 3.99 overnight shipping. Depending on how orientation goes, maybe I'll be able to place an order before the end of the business day Thursday...

Profits from the bookstore go to fund student groups and student-run clinics.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:12 am

worldtraveler wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:Hmm, so there is a pretty hefty markup for books at the Berkeley bookstore?

I've got one of those Amazon Prime accounts (highly recommended), which means free 2-day shipping and 3.99 overnight shipping. Depending on how orientation goes, maybe I'll be able to place an order before the end of the business day Thursday...

Profits from the bookstore go to fund student groups and student-run clinics.

That's really great that the profits go to the students and not just straight back to the school. Thanks, Berkeley, for making me hesitate about the first opportunity I have to actually save a tiny bit of money on this insanely expensive education!

tintin

Postby tintin » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:12 pm

does anyone know when the amount we owe for first semester will be available on the bearfacts website?

need to figure out how to scrape together the proper amount....bye bye all my $$$$$

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:39 pm

I take it that we're not eligible for any of the SHIPP services prior to the first day of school, right?

tintin

Postby tintin » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:44 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:I take it that we're not eligible for any of the SHIPP services prior to the first day of school, right?

yeah i think i looked it up and it starts the 15th. :cry:

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:54 pm

I have never known the glory of free contacts/glasses. Can't wait. :shock:

tintin

Postby tintin » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:03 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:I have never known the glory of free contacts/glasses. Can't wait. :shock:

oh my god same. i am reduced to wearing my glasses lately because my contact prescription is so old and shitty. just one more month...

on another note, i am trying to decide if i should buy a new bike or just put some $ into my very shitty and old bike. i don't really know anything about bikes. i have an old road bike which has some sort of issues with the gears and the brakes squeak. but i feel like if i buy a new (by new i mean used but new to me) bike it will probably just get stolen eventually anyways. thoughts?

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:45 pm

+1 on the bike thing (except -1 for the part about already having a bike). I need to pick one up and haven't owned a bike since my single-digit years. I know next to nothing about them.

I do know that there are tons of bike shops in Oakland and SF (and I'm sure in Berkeley too), but was also surprised to see how damn expensive bikes are these days.

tintin

Postby tintin » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:05 am

i wouldn't spend more than $300 on a bike if you are just planning on using it as a commuter. craigslist seems to have some good deals but you also kind of need to know what you're looking for and how to spot a ripoff.

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:21 am

tintin wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:I have never known the glory of free contacts/glasses. Can't wait. :shock:

oh my god same. i am reduced to wearing my glasses lately because my contact prescription is so old and shitty. just one more month...

on another note, i am trying to decide if i should buy a new bike or just put some $ into my very shitty and old bike. i don't really know anything about bikes. i have an old road bike which has some sort of issues with the gears and the brakes squeak. but i feel like if i buy a new (by new i mean used but new to me) bike it will probably just get stolen eventually anyways. thoughts?

Buy a comfortable beater. The junkier the bike, the less likely it will get stolen.

That said, buy a tough enough lock and locking skewers for your wheels and seat post and you should be Ok. Remember, you don't have to make your bike theft-proof...just have to make it harder to steal than the bike next to you!

I have a fairly new Trek hybrid that I commuted on every day and never had an issue.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:52 am

Rotor wrote:
tintin wrote:

Buy a comfortable beater. The junkier the bike, the less likely it will get stolen.

That said, buy a tough enough lock and locking skewers for your wheels and seat post and you should be Ok. Remember, you don't have to make your bike theft-proof...just have to make it harder to steal than the bike next to you!

I have a fairly new Trek hybrid that I commuted on every day and never had an issue.

Craigslist has some great deals on bikes. Last year I got a brand new K2 with a spedometer and rack on the back for $80. That was an amazing deal, but if you're looking for something cheap, look for a used, good condition Trek, Diamondback, Gary Fisher, K2, GT, Specialized, or a older model (like 20 years older) Schwinn. You should be able to find one for under $150. General rule is that if you can buy it at Target or Walmart, it's a piece of shit. The shifters will go out after a while and you're much better off buying a used decent bike.
Also, if you're female, don't get a women's bike unless you know what you're doing. A lot of them are shit and aren't nearly as strong as a men's bike. They make small men's bikes, so you don't have to worry about it.
The bike shops in Berkeley are expensive. They have some good stuff, but way too expensive.

Also, the most important thing is getting something to fit you. If you don't know what you're doing, go to a bike shop and ask about what size you need. It doesn't just go by height because you have to factor in inseam, arm length, etc. General rule is that if you stand directly over the bike, you should have a couple inches of room between the crossbar and your body.

My bike is pretty nice and it hasn't gotten stolen or damaged, but I usually keep it locked in a gated area. I would recommend at least a good U-lock, and always lock it through the front tire. You can also ask a shop to remove the quick-release features on seats and tires if you're worried about them getting stolen.

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:23 am

Hey when is everyone getting out to Berkeley? I am most likely heading out on the 27th or so... hoping some of you might also be in town that early.

ChaiChai

Postby ChaiChai » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:00 pm

DGR1852 wrote:For those of you who have already signed leases for the upcoming school year, would you mind posting your location and what you are paying for rent? I was originally planning on going down the week of July 26 to secure housing, but now I'm starting to feel that I will be on the late end if I do. . .Thanks in advance!

North Oakland, $1500/month for a 2 BD/1 BA house (my fiance is moving with me and needs a home office). We got lucky, though: the landlord hopes to sell the place when the market picks up, so he cut us a deal in exchange for being able to come and do external fixing-up whenever he wants. We'll see how great this deal feels after a few months of surprise visits!

tintin

Postby tintin » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:38 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:Hey when is everyone getting out to Berkeley? I am most likely heading out on the 27th or so... hoping some of you might also be in town that early.

I'll be there Aug 2. We should def have an early meet up for TLS'ers!

anyways, I took my bike to this bike shop to see what they had to say. Basically they told me that nothing is broken, the bike is just shitty (80's dept store road bike hahah). He said that even tuning it up is probably not worth it. Tires and stuff are in good condition and it hasn't had that much use, so I guess it is definitely rideable, just generally crappy and not going to improve.
Now I don't know what to do because, while it is a shitty bike, I could probably ride it around town okay. But now I kind of want a nicer bike, with index shifting and non-squeaky brakes. I guess I should just save the $ and ride this piece of crap until it gets stolen. Not sure who would be dumb enough to steal it though.

proof of shittiness:
--ImageRemoved--

edit: worldtraveler, would you recommend a u-lock over just a fat chain with a padlock? that is what I have going right now. I also don't care too much if this shit gets stolen, though.

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:09 pm

tintin wrote:
Shaggier1 wrote:Hey when is everyone getting out to Berkeley? I am most likely heading out on the 27th or so... hoping some of you might also be in town that early.

I'll be there Aug 2. We should def have an early meet up for TLS'ers!

anyways, I took my bike to this bike shop to see what they had to say. Basically they told me that nothing is broken, the bike is just shitty (80's dept store road bike hahah). He said that even tuning it up is probably not worth it. Tires and stuff are in good condition and it hasn't had that much use, so I guess it is definitely rideable, just generally crappy and not going to improve.
Now I don't know what to do because, while it is a shitty bike, I could probably ride it around town okay. But now I kind of want a nicer bike, with index shifting and non-squeaky brakes. I guess I should just save the $ and ride this piece of crap until it gets stolen. Not sure who would be dumb enough to steal it though.

proof of shittiness:
--ImageRemoved--

edit: worldtraveler, would you recommend a u-lock over just a fat chain with a padlock? that is what I have going right now. I also don't care too much if this shit gets stolen, though.

Small U-locks are the most secure unless your chain is super thick.

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:26 pm

Can't U-locks be opened with a Bic pen, though?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bosEh5PUNs

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:43 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:

Can't U-locks be opened with a Bic pen, though?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bosEh5PUNs

Some old ones could. If you get a small Kryptonite brand U-lock your bike should be fine. The locks also have a warranty in the event the bike does get stolen.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:46 am

New U-locks can't be opened with a pen. I don't remember the exact year they changed the design. Maybe 2006 or 2007? Just don't buy a used U-lock. Chain locks are pretty useless unless you use them with a U-lock.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:10 am

So, 2L's...now that 1L is over, how was it?

Curious to hear folks' reflections on their first year at Boalt. Anything you'd do differently? Any advice for us?

daviddel03

Postby daviddel03 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:58 am

hey guys random question. for those of you who have lived in berkeley, what do you think i should expect to pay in electricity a month for a house with 5 guys in it? what about cable/internet?

sorry for the odd question, lol

thanks!

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:55 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:So, 2L's...now that 1L is over, how was it?

Curious to hear folks' reflections on their first year at Boalt. Anything you'd do differently? Any advice for us?
I'm a nontrad so come at it with a different perspective than many, but I really enjoyed it.

As for advice, keep your study group to a manageable size. First semester we kept saying "come along" to everyone and the sessions got less productive as time went on. Second semester, that resulted in a few splinter groups forming and a couple folks got left out in the cold.

Apart from that, just relax and have fun (while doing a ton of work too). There is a student group or secondary journal for just about every interest so join up.

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:57 pm

I think the most important thing I learned was that it is important to remember that the way everyone else is doing law school isn't neccessarily the right way for you to do law school. If this means not joining a journal, working part time, being social, not being social, etc. That is fine. It is easy to get swept up into school without keeping some distance from which to evaluate whether or not activities/methods of study/career paths/people are right for you.

tintin

Postby tintin » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:36 pm

solid advice, thanks.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:41 pm

daviddel03 wrote:hey guys random question. for those of you who have lived in berkeley, what do you think i should expect to pay in electricity a month for a house with 5 guys in it?

The answer to that question depends on a lot of factors, including the size of your house, the quality of the house's insulation, and the efficiency of your heater and appliances. Berkeley, as you probably know, is located in a very mild climate. Even in the dead of winter, you're looking at lows in the 40s and highs in the mid-50s to mid-60s. In a small apartment with an efficient gas heater, utility bills for a single person would be about $20-$30/month in the summer and around $50/month in the winter.

How much will the bill be for 5 guys in a big house? For most of the school year, it'll probably be between $150 and $250, depending on the factors I mentioned above.

As for cable/internet, the rates are similar to other urban environments in the country. Basic cable and internet combined will probably cost you about $75 month, give or take a few dollars.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”