Berkeley Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
bilbobaggins

Re: Berkeley Class of 2013

Postby bilbobaggins » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:42 pm

Kronk wrote:lol @ the person questioning moral character based on an AC Transit sticker. That's definitely worth an eyeroll.

Don't tell me there are really going to be that many self righteous Boalt 1Ls next year.

Also, spent the week in Berkeley and found a place. Bootie SF @ the DNA Lounge was amazing, as usual.

Sounds like you'll fit right in with them.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:56 pm

Has anyone else still not done the loan counseling + promissory note signing yet? It slipped my mind and I will now be traveling without internet for the next few days. I recall that the "financial aid checklist" stated that this should be taken care of in June, but I'm wondering if it will matter if I wait until next week?

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:13 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:
Kronk wrote:lol @ the person questioning moral character based on an AC Transit sticker. That's definitely worth an eyeroll.

Don't tell me there are really going to be that many self righteous Boalt 1Ls next year.

Also, spent the week in Berkeley and found a place. Bootie SF @ the DNA Lounge was amazing, as usual.

Doubtful. I got guillotined long ago.

And come on. You really think that someone suggesting you could sell your AC Transit sticker deserves to get the "I would be interested to see what turns up on your moral character check" comment?

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:29 pm

Kronk wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:

And come on. You really think that someone suggesting you could sell your AC Transit sticker deserves to get the "I would be interested to see what turns up on your moral character check" comment?

I thought the juxtaposition of the two statements was amusing.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:33 am

bilbobaggins wrote:
Kronk wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:

I thought the juxtaposition of the two statements was amusing.

Says the guy who was the first to crack down on the great AC-Transit-Sticker-Black-Market-Scambacle.

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:32 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:Wait, aren't the stickers free? You just go to the Cal1 Card office and they put it on your ID. Am I missing something?

Apparently there is some sort of market for the stickers outside of students who get them for free.

And yes, I commented on the "scam" because it's stupid. It's also not something that I'd brag about on TLS. However, it would hardly rank amongst the top 10 "morally questionable" acts I witnessed law students commit last year.

BoaltSF

Postby BoaltSF » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:37 pm

bayareadunks wrote:
BoaltSF wrote:
bayareadunks wrote:Um...just so you know...the AC Transit pass is simply a sticker that you attach ONTO an ID...you are not selling your ACTUAL student ID provided by the school...only a half inch by half inch sticker...sorry if I was unclear...

So, yeah...no consequences.

Actually because people have been selling the sticker, the school no longer gives you the sticker itself. You go to the office, give them your ID, and they apply the sticker to your ID themselves. And as anyone who has one knows, those stickers don't tear off in one piece. So you would have to sell your ID.

Not to be a complete dick, but that you even suggest selling it and your flippant attitude about disregarding the school's policies makes me wonder what might show up when you complete your moral and character fitness application....

Oh well that's my mistake then, because I had no idea they no longer just gave you the sticker. But as for the rest...really? I was just trying to offer a suggestion for those people that may be financially strapped. And I'd appreciate it if you didn't attempt to draw larger conclusions regarding my moral character based on a meaningless post in a forum on TLS. :roll:

A word of advice for you before you start at the school, and really this applies to everyone: don't talk about things you don't know about. If you think assholes like me are annoying, just wait til you sit through the incessant rambling of people who have no clue about anything yet spout off as though they do.

To the person who was asking about SHIP a few pages ago:
I think SHIP is pretty good. There is a $15 copay now though every time you visit, which sucks because there was no copay for students with SHIP in the past. The doctors and nurses are nice. Making an appointment can be difficult sometimes but they do reserve space for same-day appointments, which you should try calling to schedule that pretty early in the day. SHIP also includes vision and dental coverage. There are eye doctors at the Optometry school and at the student clinic. You have to find your own dentist, but going through the insurance website to locate one is pretty easy. My only real complaint about the student clinic, Tang, is that you don't always get to see the same doctor every time you visit unless you specifically ask to see the same one, and then you have to hope that the scheduling works out.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:14 pm

BoaltSF wrote:A word of advice for you before you start at the school, and really this applies to everyone: don't talk about things you don't know about. If you think assholes like me are annoying, just wait til you sit through the incessant rambling of people who have no clue about anything yet spout off as though they do.

BILBO, COME LOOK! COME LOOK, BILBO!

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:11 pm

Kronk wrote:
BoaltSF wrote:A word of advice for you before you start at the school, and really this applies to everyone: don't talk about things you don't know about. If you think assholes like me are annoying, just wait til you sit through the incessant rambling of people who have no clue about anything yet spout off as though they do.

BILBO, COME LOOK! COME LOOK, BILBO!

Yes, this is wonderful advice for incoming 1Ls.

And in the spirit of said advice:

When y'all arrive at Boalt, there will be lots of drinking and lots of meeting people for the first time. For better or worse, these initial impressions will linger for a long, long time. Think about how you want to be perceived by other people- probably not as a braggart, a know-it-all, someone obsessed with the law, someone too self-interested to let other people speak, etc. I know this seems basic, but you also probably shouldn't comment on how someone looks or is dressed, even if it's meant as a joke, you'll come off as an asshole.

For any 2Ls reading this: Please, please don't do the whole "oh, you're a 1L" shtick to the new 1Ls. It's super annoying and makes you look like an idiot. Every time some K through JD did this to me I would just roll my eyes and assume the individual was super insecure.

I realize no one likes unasked for advice, but if you keep these things in mind, you'll probably have a happier first semester and make friends with people who are awesome like you.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:41 pm

I like how we're getting tips on basic human interaction.

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:27 pm

Kronk wrote:I like how we're getting tips on basic human interaction.

Haha dude, just wait and see. It saddens me that I feel the need to give them.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:12 pm

bilbobaggins wrote: I know this seems basic, but you also probably shouldn't comment on how someone looks or is dressed, even if it's meant as a joke, you'll come off as an asshole.

That sucks. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to establish superiority over my classmates if I cannot make derogatory comments about the physical appearance of others. As an alternative, is it acceptable to make snide remarks about someone's fourth-tier undergrad? May I make a sarcastic comment if someone owns a Windows laptop instead of a Mac? If these topics are also off-limits, I think I'll employ the strategy of casually mentioning my LSAT score in every conversation I have.

In any event, I am not worried about coming off as an asshole. I can always smooth things over by buying the offended person a drink. All those drinks can add up, but I plan to have a lot of spare cash on hand after selling my AC transit sticker.

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:44 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:
I know this seems basic, but you also probably shouldn't comment on how someone looks or is dressed, even if it's meant as a joke, you'll come off as an asshole.

That sucks. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to establish superiority over my classmates if I cannot make derogatory comments about the physical appearance of others. As an alternative, is it acceptable to make snide remarks about someone's fourth-tier undergrad? May I make a sarcastic comment if someone owns a Windows laptop instead of a Mac? If these topics are also off-limits, I think I'll employ the strategy of casually mentioning my LSAT score in every conversation I have.

In any event, I am not worried about coming off as an asshole. I can always smooth things over by buying the offended person a drink. All those drinks can add up, but I plan to have a lot of spare cash on hand after selling my AC transit sticker.

Best post of 2010. Hands down.

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:11 pm

Dignan wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote: I know this seems basic, but you also probably shouldn't comment on how someone looks or is dressed, even if it's meant as a joke, you'll come off as an asshole.

Hahahaha. The worst part is, I've seen the bolded part happen.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:29 am

I actually think most Berkeley students are really nice. I was pleasantly surprised when I first met people. I also tend to avoid bar review though, so I think I miss some of the douchebaggery.

23fulltimecowboys

Postby 23fulltimecowboys » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:46 pm

[quote="worldtraveler"]I actually think most Berkeley students are really nice. I was pleasantly surprised when I first met people. I also tend to avoid bar review though, so I think I miss some of the douchebaggery.[quote]

this was my impression after visiting, hope it holds up.

tintin

Postby tintin » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:24 pm

i am having the worst time trying to find housing guys.... ahhhh. places are either really far away / in sketchy areas, extremely tiny, or don't allow cats.

i'm using cal rentals and craigslist...anyone have other suggestions?

BoaltSF

Postby BoaltSF » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:07 pm

tintin wrote:i am having the worst time trying to find housing guys.... ahhhh. places are either really far away / in sketchy areas, extremely tiny, or don't allow cats.

i'm using cal rentals and craigslist...anyone have other suggestions?

It will be tough to find an apartment that allows pets. Most housing in the Bay Area is tiny unless you are renting a house with other people. Your best bet really is craigslist, but you have to remember, you aren't gonna find a dream apartment anywhere really.

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:56 pm

There are tons of places in the East Bay that allow cats. Don't know where you're looking, but this is what I see on CL.

Although, if you're looking for studios/1br's under a certain price, this will certainly limit options.

screwsandboalts

Postby screwsandboalts » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:17 pm

it took me a really long time to find a place -- but dont give up hope. i must have went to see about 20+ apartments before nailing one down yesterday. its a mile walk to boalt, uphill most of the way, but i guess thats the price im paying for a decent sized one bedroom... pm me if you have any questions id be happy to help

tintin

Postby tintin » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:57 am

i found a sweet nice little 1br (kinda funky layout but i like it) right at the base of campus for 1000/month. :) so it all worked out pretty good! but yeah, it did take me a while to find.

daviddel03

Postby daviddel03 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:09 am

hey guys, sorry if this has already been asked, but more or less how much should I budget on books per semester? I know we're not getting our list until orientation, but is it possible to get these books on amazon, or would I be cutting it too close since I'd have to wait for them to arrive?

Thanks!

BoaltSF

Postby BoaltSF » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:26 pm

daviddel03 wrote:hey guys, sorry if this has already been asked, but more or less how much should I budget on books per semester? I know we're not getting our list until orientation, but is it possible to get these books on amazon, or would I be cutting it too close since I'd have to wait for them to arrive?

Thanks!

I think I spent about $700 the my first semester. I would budget around that for each semester. I’ve spent as little as $400 to as much as $900 on books for one semester so it really varies.

I don’t think there is time to order books from Amazon unless you want to pay hefty shipping fees. You’ll get your list of classes on Thursday and then classes start on Monday. So if you want to be prepared for Monday’s class, you’ll need the books before then. There are always people selling used books so if you don’t want to buy from the bookstore, just keep a lookout for postings about used books.

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:10 pm

This is what some people have done:

Buy the books from the book store and return them when your Amazon ones arrive or study off of someone else's books for the week it takes your Amazon books to arrive.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:58 pm

Hmm, so there is a pretty hefty markup for books at the Berkeley bookstore?

I've got one of those Amazon Prime accounts (highly recommended), which means free 2-day shipping and 3.99 overnight shipping. Depending on how orientation goes, maybe I'll be able to place an order before the end of the business day Thursday...

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”